watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Etuhu Re-Imagined

Started by White Noise, August 23, 2010, 08:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Interesting to see Etuhu prospering in Sparky's new set up.
I had imagined he might struggle with competition from Baird and Dikcagoi, but not he is being given a licence to maraud forward and have shot or two his importance to the team has increased dramatically.

It has slightly changed Murphy's role as well but it certainly posed problems for Man Utd.

What do you think of the new brief Etuhu has been given by Sparky and do you think Baird could do a similar job if asked.

In terms of games played in the defensive midfield role by the end of the season what do you think will be the order out of Etuhu, Baird and Dikcagoi?
'

WHITEwitch

I think all the big strong boys will prosper under Sparky.

Some pundits were hinting that we were just carrying on where Woy left off but there were definitely tweaks making us much tougher and positive.

Dickson was the main revelation but Dempsey as well wasn't taking any prisoners. 

I went with some apprehension of anti-climax but I saw a different era shaping up.  Murphy and Duff can be tough when required so I think they will still get playing time.  Dikcagoi (?) and Baird are lighter and quicker by nature so it will be interesting to see how he uses them.

Hughes has a reputation for changing his game according to opponents far more than Woy - he doesn't just play tough although he keeps that core - I'm looking again at some old Blackburn games with far more interest.

The Equalizer

I thought Dickson was outstanding yesterday. I'm really glad he put a great performance in as he was very hit and miss last season in my opinion.

I'm still surprised to see Greening getting a run out. I fail to see what he brings to the game, other than dithering. We could have got a winner if he was more decisive towards the end of the match.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Equalizer on August 23, 2010, 11:19:42 AM
I thought Dickson was outstanding yesterday. I'm really glad he put a great performance in as he was very hit and miss last season in my opinion.

I'm still surprised to see Greening getting a run out. I fail to see what he brings to the game, other than dithering. We could have got a winner if he was more decisive towards the end of the match.

Greening came on because Hughes wanted to steady the ship in midfield alongside the fact that we dont eactly have any box-to-box centre mids (Dikgacoi wasnt on the bench and Baird is not box-to box). Greening kept things ticking over in the Murphy role and put the boot in a few challenges to remind the Utd players they wernt home and dry.

Lighthouse

Dickson Etuhu was satisfied with a draw on Sunday evening after the Whites fought back twice to hold Manchester United 2-2 in a thrilling first Premier League match of the season at Craven Cottage.

After convincingly seeing off United on their previous two League visits to SW6, the Reds looked set to redress the balance when Paul Scholes fired the visitors into an 11th minute lead. But demonstrating the kind of determination that became a familiar sight against the likes of Juventus, Shakhtar Donetsk and Hamburg, Mark Hughes' side kept going to the last to ensure a share of the points.

"It was a good result," considered Etuhu. "We never give them an easy time when they come here and it was nice to carry that on. We haven't lost to them in the last three meetings now, so that's really good."

However, at one stage it looked like United would leave with all three points when, with six minutes remaining, a corner from the right fortuitously bounced off the leg of Brede Hangeland and skidded past David Stockdale to give Alex Ferguson's side an undeserved lead in the closing stages.

It was the kind of fortunate occurrence that seems to come to sides like United, and Etuhu admitted that even the players were concerned that a good point had slipped away.

"Of course we were worried, but even coming so late on, this is a difficult place for teams to get results. The gaffer has emphasised to us the importance of keeping going until the last minute and we just carried on how we'd been playing throughout, and got the reward."

And justly it was Hangeland himself who headed Fulham level with a finish of pure authority as he rose highest in the box to meet a corner in the final minute of normal time. It was the perfect response from a man who, aside from the own goal, had put in an exemplary performance.

"It was great for him. He's buzzing now," enthused Etuhu. "He did really well throughout, and was deservedly man of the match."

David Stockdale also had a massive part to play in the end result, not only making some crucial stops to deny Berbatov on several occasions, but most notably with a brilliant save from Nani's penalty five minutes from time after Damien Duff had harshly been adjudged to handle in the area.

"It was great for the young lad. This was the big stage against a big team and, after playing well at Bolton last weekend, he's done well again today. So hopefully he'll continue to learn and grow and become a great 'keeper."

Etuhu himself impressed throughout too, and could have found himself on the score sheet had it not been for a brilliant double save from Edwin Van der Sar in the first half. Indeed, the big midfielder seems to be finding himself in goal scoring positions with more frequency of late, and he explained this is something being actively encouraged by new boss Mark Hughes.

"The gaffer is encouraging it," he detailed. "I used to be more of a box-to-box player before I came to Fulham, but Roy wanted me to sit in front of the defence more. This Manager, though, is encouraging me to drive forward a bit more and it's working really well. Hopefully now you'll start seeing me score a few goals."

So now, after the visit of the mighty Manchester United, thoughts turn to the rather different challenge of League Two Port Vale on Wednesday evening in the Carling Cup. However, despite the gulf in league standing, Dickson assures us that nobody will be taking the tie lightly as we embark on what we hope will be a long run in the competition.

"It's an opportunity for us to do well, being at home, with our fans behind us like they were today, so we'll look forward to Wednesday," he said. "It will be a tough game like it always is in the cup, but we'll approach it professionally."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/EtuhuUnitedReaction.aspx#ixzz0xQOTzkFw
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope