watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The US Men's Team is crap

Started by love4ffc, November 16, 2016, 03:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

After the T&T match, I've come to the conclusion that this is a team in transition. Some of the new guys look pretty good. Are they ready?  It goes without saying that Pulisic is a fantastic find. He has good pace, very good ball control and a nose for goal. Add in what I simply call quickness, by which I mean that extra gear either from a run or in acceleration and the ability to take a strong challenge and I think he is the real deal. The back line has good pace on the outside (Yedlin and Villafana). While neither strikes fear in opposing attackers, they both get forward well. Cameron and Brooks will be our starting CB's in Russia. Bradley looked better without Jermaine Jones mucking things up. The jury is still out on Nagbe but I think he will be Jones replacement. This wasn't Fabian Johnson's best night but he'll start in Russia. The strikers......Deuce simply looked old and Altidore (why is your lead striker hitting thru balls at the center circle? Shouldn't he be receiving them?) has some pluses but he just isn't good enough at this level. The team seemed to wake up when Dempsey went off. I'm not familiar with his replacement (Acosta) but he did look lively. Bobby Wood came on late and ran a tired defense ragged. I'd like to see him get the start Sunday at Azteca. Dempsey can come on as a late sub. If the match is still close he'd likely make a difference.

We'll see what happens at 7200 feet above sea level with Beijing style smog come Sunday. Given that, in its history, Mexico has lost only twice in a meaningful match at that venue, I'm not too optimistic. 
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Lyle from Hangeland

I agree. The U.S. national team is crap right now. No good goalkeepers, the defense and midfield is poor. There is Pulisic though. Looks like Donovan, but with a heart and real character, which makes him significantly better.

YankeeJim

Guess after last night we have to reevaluate the team up a bit. Best match I have ever seen Altidore play: perhaps the only really good one. He's an odd striker. Not really a hold up guy nor a poacher but when given space (thank you Mr. Pulisic), he can cause problems. I like Bobby Wood. His sticking his nose into everything gives me a quick reminder of McGod. Joe, I agree about Bradley. He was the weakest of the mids in the first half but played decent defense in the second. I thought Dax brought some guts in the midfield when he came on. The back line was ok but didn't get forward effectively. It wasn't needed tonight but come Russia, they'll have to step up. Gonzales worries me. He reminds me of Senederos - almost good for a cock up. Timmy is still the man. Best keeper since Friedal. The Mexican ref was the usual. Four smacks in the face to Americans and no calls. The one in the attacking box looked like a deliberate fist to the face of Gonzales. All accidental? Sure. Pulisic was fantastic. This kid seems to be the real deal. Any room at Fulham?

love4ffc

Agree gents, last night was a great game.  Probably the best I would say I've seen from the team in a long time.  I was sad that Dempsey didn't get the mod ahead of Altador.
The center backs still scare me.  Bradley was asked to do a lot in the game and left exposed I thought through out.  In another game I think not having cover in the middle with Bradley would of bit us in the a$s. 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

love4ffc

So livid with Sunil Gulati and Bruce Arena that I'm at a lost for words.  Time to clean house starting with Sunil. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: love4ffc on October 11, 2017, 03:06:40 AM
So livid with Sunil Gulati and Bruce Arena that I'm at a lost for words.  Time to clean house starting with Sunil.

It's a crap show. We suck and didn't earn it. The whole of American soccerdom is to blame.

YankeeJim

With Gulati and Arena gone, perhaps we can take a new direction. We need a good, motivating coach. Someone who understands the American player. We have been successful in the past due to effort and fitness, not from ball skills. That is something we lack and likely always will. At least until all those quick, big and athletic boys quit trying to be shooting guards and corner backs. I still wonder what type of striker Michael Jordan would have made had he started with soccer.