watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ryan Sessegnon

Started by ffc73, December 04, 2016, 12:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffc73

Scott Malone is now seemingly first choice LB with Ryan on the bench to (1) keep Malone on his toes and (2) get first team match day experience.

With no midweek first team game I would have thought it would have been useful for Ryan have got 90 minutes game time playing with the U23s last Monday night.  Double win of giving Ryan match practice and showing the likes of LVC, Woodrow, Jozabed etc that the first team match day squad is not a closed shop to them

Just a thought.

MJG

Pretty sure Ryan plyed for England over last break so he has been having games.

Mince n Tatties

He is also learning sitting on the bench,seeing how it all unfolds in this league..Want do him any harm keeping bench warm,and he will get game time.

fulhamben

It's time to get humphrys on our bench and give him some minutes at the end of each game. We have Derby soon and God help us if we have to start smith
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

f321ffc

Quote from: fulhamben on December 04, 2016, 12:16:44 PM
It's time to get humphrys on our bench and give him some minutes at the end of each game. We have Derby soon and God help us if we have to start smith
Yesterday would have been a great game for Humphreys to get ten minutes  but then hindsight is a great thing. 092.gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

fulhamben

Quote from: f321ffc on December 04, 2016, 12:21:37 PM
Yesterday would have been a great game for Humphreys to get ten minutes  but then hindsight is a great thing. 092.gif
not even hindsight, facts show from last season that it's pretty pointless having Smith on bench. Think he scored one goal in 23 sub appearances

grandad

I feel sorry for Smith. He has never been given a real run with players who can give him the service from wide that we have now. I would want to keep him but is that fair to the player. He is not even getting on from the bench.
Where there's a will there's a wife

bill taylors apprentice

Would have been good to see Sessegnon on for the last 15 mins, we didn't need Parker's steadying hand in this game, and maybe he could have played in front of Malone.

FPT

I think it was more important that Tayo Edun got 90 minutes in his legs for the under 23s than Ryan. I think Sessegnon will get a start soon enough with the busy winter period coming up; I'd personally be pencilling in the Rotherham home game and the FA Cup match to give Scott Malone a break.

cmg

Quote from: MJG on December 04, 2016, 12:07:51 PM
Pretty sure Ryan played for England over last break so he has been having games.

Yes, he played in all three of the England u19 Euro qualifiers, so he isn't short of match time.

His presence and form is part of the team chemistry I think. Nothing like a talented 16-year old challenging for your place, eh Scott?

BestOfBrede

We are doing well this season considering it's an almost entirely new squad, and yet we still slag off certain players..
Why not just support what we have?

epsomraver

Give it a rest, you won't be there to see anyway, Jim rates Matt Smith anyway so you are outnumbered :022:

fulhamben

Quote from: epsomraver on December 04, 2016, 09:33:29 PM

Give it a rest, you won't be there to see anyway, Jim rates Matt Smith anyway so you are outnumbered :022:
does being out numbered make him less crap? Would be good if it did.

Southfield White

Quote from: fulhamben on December 05, 2016, 12:35:43 AM
Quote from: epsomraver on December 04, 2016, 09:33:29 PM

does being out numbered make him less crap? Would be good if it did.

Out of interest , how many times have you watched Humphries play?

AnEssexFan

I don't understand people continually having digs at Smith. When he plays he contributes massively to the team, as those of us who went to Blackburn will have seen. His efforts defensively in that match were just as important as Cairney's winning goal. As for his attacking prowess, with the right service he will prove very effective and hopefully he'll get a chance to prove this against Derby.
@leightonrw07

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: AnEssexFan on December 06, 2016, 05:29:43 AM
I don't understand people continually having digs at Smith. When he plays he contributes massively to the team, as those of us who went to Blackburn will have seen. His efforts defensively in that match were just as important as Cairney's winning goal. As for his attacking prowess, with the right service he will prove very effective and hopefully he'll get a chance to prove this against Derby.

0001.jpeg

MJG

Quote from: Statto on December 06, 2016, 08:27:40 AM
Smith deserves recognition merely for being one of those team-minded squad players who'll sit on the bench all season but still keep himself fit, keep a good attitude and give his all when he comes on. A successful squad needs players like that just as much as any other type of player. Plus as MJG's stats recently showed on another thread, we generally win when he starts. Is he good enough to lead the line in a top 6 team? No probably not but he'll still get goals and also gives us an option to mix things up at times.

As most know I'm no fan of Smith and I dont think hes good enough to be a main striker in a top 6 side, and I think thats the majority's view considering how many want another striker in Jan.
The odd game here and there is fine and last ten to mix it up. But he doesn't have the movement, touch or fitness of Martin for the current system.
Maybe if he plays and a team is set up a certain way he would prove me wrong in the long term, but i doubt it at this level.
But as Statto says, he seems a good team man to have around and has been more effective than Woodrow when played this year, so hes in the match day 18 on merit.

cmg

With regard to Ryan Sessegnon, it is perhaps worth bearing in mind that, although he has featured only at LB for us (Transfermarkt says he came on as LM v Nottm F - but that is wrong), he has played LM and LW for the England age group sides.

Incidentally, I would take issue with the notion that seeing a player 'in the flesh'
is a pre-requisite to making a valid comment (either positive or negative) about that player.
Millions of fans have opinions on thousands of players they have never seen from the stands. Most reasonably knowledgeable football fans could present a cogent argument about whether or not Messi is the best player on the planet without ever having been nearer to the Nou Camp than El Prat airport on their way to a package holiday in Lloret de Mar.
Every minute of Matt Smith's Fulham career can be viewed on the club's website and a valid opinion formed thereupon. It might not gain universal (or any!) agreement and it should be reasonably politely presented, but it is the individual's entitlement.

Bill2

You do get a better perception of a players contribution live, with the limited viewing we get on Ch 5 and even on the Fulham TV is that you only see selected action on the ball. This means that anything not televised you don't see and any work off the ball is not available.

So watching live does you give a better perspective, until we are back in the Prem where you do get a better view from the sofa than at the match due to the number of cameras.

cmg

Quote from: Bill2 on December 06, 2016, 05:35:04 PM
You do get a better perception of a players contribution live, with the limited viewing we get on Ch 5 and even on the Fulham TV is that you only see selected action on the ball. This means that anything not televised you don't see and any work off the ball is not available.

So watching live does you give a better perspective, until we are back in the Prem where you do get a better view from the sofa than at the match due to the number of cameras.

This has often been said and I can't say I agree with it. 'Different' - yes but not necessarily a 'better' perspective.
Highlights (such as Ch5's) have little relevance here but the 90 minutes recording allows a repeated viewing of the whole game which, to my mind, allows a valid opinion to be formed despite the limitations of the current camera set-up.
Being at the ground does allow you a much better opportunity to scrutinize a particular player, if you are so minded. Here, of course, you run the risk of missing something else of importance.
At many grounds (including CC) some viewpoints leave much to be desired. Also when you are at the ground you can't hit the pause button when you go for a pee!
There have been many, many occasions when I have seen stuff that happened at games I have attended only when watching subsequent filmed coverage.
Whatever the limitations of the filmed coverage (as long as it is the full 90 minutes) and the benefits of live viewing, I would still maintain that valid judgments can be made in either case.