watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Captains Armband.

Started by JakeFFC, December 05, 2016, 02:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFFC

I want to start this off by saying that I am not questioning Cairney's ability. When he is playing well he tears teams apart.

But is he a captain type? I look at Parker who is a wonderful professional and he is a leader. When games are tough he is the first one to try to motivate the team. With Cairney I don't always see this (I appreciate when we are winning/playing well its not needed as much). I think he is a fantastic player but is he the leader the team needs when the going gets tough?

I was interested to see what everyone's views are on this are. I highly rate him as a player but if he didn't have the armband on I wouldn't be able to tell he was our captain and leader.
Are you happy with Tom as captain? Would you have someone else as captain instead? and who would your ideal captain be if you can have any player back from history? Be it Fulham's or someone else's.

General

Parker is the club captain, but because he's seen his role limited now due in part to age Cairney has been given the armband.. you can't be a visible captain on the field of play if you're not playing. Simple. When Parker comes on he gets given the armband.

I don't think parker should be given playing time because he's our captain, our club is moving towards younger players and it's something I agree with and like the results of, even if it is a work in progress - I think we're finally moving upwards.

Cairney is the right man for the job in my eyes.

ToodlesMcToot

Maybe I'm mistaken but, aren't captains generally chosen by the players?

I get where you are coming from, "do WE really see captain like qualities in Tom?". And, having to watch on the television rather than live - like with many aspects of a match - I know that I don't get a full accounting of things. So, I'd defer to those that are there each week.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

ToodlesMcToot

By the way, I love that Parker has retained the club captaincy even though he is no longer a 90 minute player. Shows how much everyone values him - something he deserves IMHO. And, I love that Cairney, even when he is still on the field, will give up the armband when Parker is brought on. Absolute class aspect of our team.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

twang

I was pleasantly surprised about Cairney's reaction when Johansen was about to go back to referee after the red card had already been dished out.

A small but encouraging sign about Tom's abilities to be captain.

Horsfield_No9

He's a model pro and good ambassador for this club and also our future (hopefully) Good temperament on the pitch too. I see no problem with him being captain. Myself along with others here last season suggested we should build around him and not Ross, glad we are seeing the fruits of this. He's improving each year.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

HamsterWheel

I thought that Saturday would have been a good game for Scott to hand back the armband to Tom as he'd captained such a great performance.

bill taylors apprentice

I agree with all the pro Cairney comments above, leadership comes in different ways.

Plus at the start of the season, out of all the players available (not on loan) he was the most likely to start games on a regular basis.

H4usuallysitting

If we permanently sign Kalas - he wouldn't be a bad shout for the armband...or Macdonald

filham

Parker obviously first choice as captain and difficult to replace but then , omitting loan signings, Cairney seems the next best. Hopefully he will get better and better with time.

filham

Parker obviously first choice as captain and difficult to replace but then , omitting loan signings, Cairney seems the next best. Hopefully he will get better and better with time.

toshes mate

Given current team spirit I have to support the Parker-Cairney combo since it is obviously working well.  When players link up as well as Fulham have done in the past half dozen games or so then you know things are working well not just on match days but in training, the dressing room, and anywhere else it matters to the Club.  Cairney has shown a lot of maturity on the pitch and handing the armband to Parker during Saturday's game is just one example of many.  I simply love the fact that comments on here show the Club has a lovely spirit about it right now, something we must have all missed for quite a while. Long may it continue.

nose

cairney plays better when he is captain.... it makes him think about what he is doing and coducting himself and in his case alone, i think it improves him.

AlexW132

Quote from: Statto on December 06, 2016, 03:26:51 PM
Agree with the OP that Cairney isn't the perfect captain like Parker

But also agree with others about his qualities - good temperament, one of our best players, one of our longest-serving players, plays in the middle which is good for a captain... etc etc

IMO he's the best choice from the current starting XI. Of the other contenders, McDonald and Kalas are both still new and both seem quite subdued characters. Johanssen is also new and seems to have a bit of an unpredictable/aggressive streak (not necessarily a bad thing)... can't really think of anyone else

Aluko or Madl maybe