Started by AmericanJames, February 04, 2010, 03:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanJames

Are there any hockey fans on the board?
If so who is your team?
And did you/ do you still play?
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

HatterDon

sorry, AJ. Down here in Texas, ice is something you pour single malt Scotch over.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AmericanJames

scotch on ice, sounds like my plans for the weekend. you still have the dallas stars down there. and i spent thanksgiving down there a couple years ago playing in a prestigious, well scouted tournament

Steve_orino

Mr. 'mercanMikeJames, Mr. HatterD is in San Antonio and barely keeps up with the main sporting-attraction down there, the San Antonio Spurs.  There is no hockey down there, unless there's a farm team that I'm unaware.

I am in the Northern part of Texas (Dallas) and passively keep up with the Dallas Stars.  I can only get excited about hockey when the playoffs come around.  That's when the real hockey season begins!

In fact, there was a small thread (in the old forum) going on between CCD and I during the finals as Pittsburgh came back and throttled the 'hated' red-skates!!!

Oops, for some reason I put AmericanMike, and not James, your MB name.  
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

AmericanJames

hated red skates? not a bad nickname but i dont know about throttled. you do have 3 ahl teams (san antonio, houston, and cedar falls) thought. the rink i skated in when i was in dallas was very nice as well.

finnster01

I saw the NY Rangers play the hated Islanders at the Madison Square Garden. That was like watching Millwall play West Ham. I was a bit worried for a minute to be honest. Those teams (and fans)do not like each other very much
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

I actually love Hockey, though I don't watch it much on TV. I follow the San Jose Sharks and had season tickets for them for their first two years when they first came into the league and played at the Cow Palace in SF.

Hockey, maybe, the best 'see it live' sport there is, in my experience.

I love it. Wish we had a minor league team in SacTown.

clintclintdeuce

Hockey is for Canadians like my brother, who pretends to be Canadian.
The Dude abides.

Steve_orino

Yes, throttled is too strong of an adjective but for a Stars fan, it was quite sweet to see them lose.

Much like RR, I don't watch it all to often but I do enjoy the game.  When the NorthStars first moved down here, a group of friends and I got involved in a in-line skate hockey league.  After playing the last two years of high-school & graduating they came up with leagues UIL sanctioned...I was born a year too early.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

finnster01

I wish I had hockey growing up. I feel that I could have used that to take out my dark side hatred as an anger management exercise.  ;D The only problem I have is I can't skate for the love of the Lord, but I'd still do all right in a brawl I think. In fact in New York they have hockey beginner lessons for old people like me, eventually playing in leagues very late and at funny hours. I am considering having a go, but those skates are a real problem to figure out and I don't know if I have enough patience anymore as I am closing on 50ty. I've tried to skate several times and I am not really making huge improvements
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

KCat

James, you mean Ice Hockey ............I played the other kind for most of my adult life, great game
most of my toes are fractured and my shin bones have a fair few dent in them !!!! 
Great game but the ice hockey is beautifully brutal 
Always loved the game 

boxhockcycsock

definitely a big hockey fan here. I follow the SJ Sharks just like RR. Got a Joe Thornton poster on my wall right now as we speak actually, right next to the Johnny Haynes poster and Fulham Calendar,  8)
Time is blind.
Make sure in the parking lot of life, you do not take it's handicapped spot because then you'll be occupying time's space, the ticket for which is being thrown into a wormhole.

AmericanJames

So you boys enjoyed the game on Tuesday night then?

HatterDon

Okay, here's my contributioin to this thread:

JESUS SAVES --
                       the puck gets loose to Esposito,

he shoots, HE SCORES!

note: Phil Esposito retired from the NHL in 1981. This is an OLDDDDDDDDDD routine.

And we do have a minor-league hockey team here -- The San Antonio Rampage. There is a small but fervent [read maniacal] following here. I'm not part of it, although we have talked about trying to do the National Anthem here, for the minor-league baseball San Antonio Missions, and finally for the city's sporting elite -- the Prim Reapers of the San Antonio Womens' Roller Derby League.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Ag

Have to agree with hockey being far superior in person.  It's bearable on tv but not by much.  

The Rampage are a fun excursion even if they don't draw flies.  Dallas is 5 hrs away, so unless you're a diehard fan it's a bit much.

I grew up on the Caps during my early years.  We went to church with Denis Maruk and since my old man played college hockey, they hit it off.  I got to go in the lockerroom, down on the ice, the works a couple of times.  This was back in the old Cap Centre in Landover in the mid to late 70's.  

I was a diehard fan growing up.  However my interest started to wane with all the closing down in the middle and the poor officiating (about the time the neutral zone trap became so prevelant).  The strike and the year off pretty much killed it for me.  I just follow on Sportscenter highlights now.

Tom

Fulham for life!

AmericanJames

AmericanJames

Is anyone watching this USA v. Canada game? The best game in the tournament so far

Tom

Quote from: AmericanJames on February 22, 2010, 01:49:43 AM
Is anyone watching this USA v. Canada game? The best game in the tournament so far
I watched the whole game. What a great game it was! Americans with the huge upset of Canada 5-3!
Fulham for life!

AmericanJames

Great game, great finish, kinda disappointing to see the game in the States in so much, but with the brick wall Ryan Miller back there I guess it was alright, it was nice to Sidney Crysby with that sad look on his face. Hopefully this isn't the high point for the US olympic effort.