more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (04/02/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 04, 2017, 07:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Malone In Team Of Midweek (3/2/17)

Fulham are represented in the latest Football League team of midweek that has been selected after this week's action.

The performance by Scott Malone in the two nil victory over Burton Albion in midweek at the Pirelli Stadium was enough to earn them a place in the side alongside the other most impressive performers in the Football League pyramid.

I think we'll already know ourselves, and not just based on the latest performance, why Malone was selected as part of the team but explaining the choice - the FL blurb read.

'Malone helped Fulham to a clean sheet as they picked up three points from their midweek trip to Burton Albion. Alongside his defensive duties, the left-back offered an attacking outlet throughout and rounded off the 2-0 win with a goal.'

It's always good to see the club represented in this way, and well played to Malone for his recognition, but the most important thing about the weekend was of course the points.

Full Team:

Alex Smithies (Queens Park Rangers), Scott Malone (Fulham), Pontus Jansson (Leeds United), Jack Barthram (Cheltenham Town), Tom Ince (Derby County), Liam Kelly (Reading), David Edwards (Wolverhampton Wanderers), David Wheeler (Exeter City), Kenneth Zohore (Cardiff City), Lasse Vibe (Brentford), Britt Assombalonga (Nottingham Forest).

Manager - Darren Way (Yeovil Town).

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=478966#ixzz4XhKpY2PH

WhiteJC

Johansen: Confidence Is High

Stefan Johansen wants to make it a perfect week with a victory at St Andrew's on Saturday afternoon.

Three points against Birmingham City would cap a third win in seven days for Fulham, form that the midfielder knows is crucial if we are to make the Play-Offs.

"If we want to go top-six we need to get on a run with a couple of wins in a row," he told fulhamfc.com. "We're close now, and it's a huge game for us on Saturday.

"The confidence is high in the group so we just need to keep on doing what we're doing and I think it will be a good game at the weekend."

Johansen's debut for the Whites came in the 1-0 defeat to Blues earlier in the campaign, but ended after 32 minutes when he was replaced by Jozabed.

That fixture seems a million years ago now, with the Norwegian going on to become a lynchpin of the Fulham midfield, with eight goals and five assists to his name already.

"Oh that's right, it was my debut!" Johansen recalled. "I'd trained with the team for three days and it's kind of hard to go straight into a game. Things have changed since then and hopefully it will go better this time!

"It's always nice to have goals and assists. I just want to keep adding those and we will count them up at the end of the season."

The Whites go into the match on the back of a professional display in Burton on Wednesday, where our perseverance was rewarded with two second half goals.

"This type of game you just need to be patient," Johansen stated. "You need to get the ball moving, let them run, and it will open up in the end. That's what happened and it was a comfortable 2-0 win.

"It's hard when they play with all their players behind the ball all the time. So they kind of parked the bus but as soon as we got a goal we felt quite confident that we were going to see it out."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/february/03/stefan-johansen-confidence-is-high

WhiteJC

Cardiff Tickets On Sale

Tickets for Fulham's away match at Cardiff City on Saturday 25th February (3pm) are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members.

These are priced at £23 for adults and from £11 for concessions, and will be available to purchase on General Sale from Wednesday.

Secure your seat in the Welsh capital as the Whites aim to make it two wins against the Bluebirds in as many months!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/february/03/cardiff-tickets-on-sale

WhiteJC

Enjoy your visit to the Family Zone against Fulham

For Blues supporters who are sitting in the Family Zone for tomorrow's match against Fulham, here's all you need to know about the pre-match activities.
This week we have entertainment from local poet, Spoz, who will be performing Urban Poetry! His pre-match entertainment will start from 2pm in the Family Zone, so make sure you get down to the ground early to avoid missing out!

As usual, we have FREE face painting in the family trailer and our Family Zone hosts will be on hand to assist with any questions you may have. Beau and Belle will also pop along for some photos at 2.30pm so make sure you look out for them.

Don't forget, there are a variety of refreshments options available inside the concourse with chocolates and sweet treats; as well as a children's "kiddie box" meal deal for just £3.50.

Read more at http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/2016-17/family-zone-3553810.aspx#Ag7p5lUFdmCf49Kb.99

WhiteJC

Team news ahead of Fulham test

Gianfranco Zola says he has some defensive injury concerns ahead of Fulham's visit to St. Andrew's on Saturday (3pm kick-off).

Both of his first choice central defenders have groin problems.

Ryan Shotton was substituted mid-way through Tuesday's match against Reading, whilst Michael Morrison still has an ongoing issue with his despite deputising for his colleague in the second-half against the Royals.

As a result, the pair (pictured above) will have last-minute fitness tests on Saturday.

"Ryan overstretched his left groin in the first-half and carried on for ten minutes with the problem," said Zola.

"Until yesterday he was in pain, so we are going to assess him on Saturday.

"Michael Morrison has had a problem with his groin for a while. Usually with that type of problem the more you play on top of it the worse it can get.

"We are assessing the situation with him as well and we might decide to stop him for a while and get him 100 per cent fit. It is something we need to decide.

"It is not ideal because in that position we are short at the moment. We will do the best thing, and with Michael and decide between today and tomorrow."

Whether or not the duo are available against the Cottagers, new Arsenal loan signing and central defender Krystian Bielik could come into the reckoning for his first start, following his deadline day move to St. Andrew's.

The same applies to Watford loanee striker Jerome Sinclair who also arrived on the last day of the window.

Full-backs Cheick Keita and Emilio Nsue are also in contention to play.

Elsewhere in the squad, Clayton Donaldson remains out with a calf injury.

Read more at http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/2016-17/birmingham-city-fulham-3554292.aspx#fsu6PyKxpv1TbYGb.99

WhiteJC

Birmingham loan signing Jerome Sinclair could make debut against Fulham

Birmingham manager Gianfranco Zola could hand new signing Jerome Sinclair his debut when they host Fulham in the Championship.
Sinclair arrived on loan from Watford earlier this week and can strengthen a team that on Tuesday lost 1-0 at home to Reading. There could also be a first appearance for fellow loan recruit Krystian Bielik, from Arsenal.
David Cotterill also left on loan, heading to Bristol City.
Jacques Maghoma could also come into contention after his return from the African Nations Cup.
Fulham could include striker Gohi Cyriac in the squad following his deadline day loan move from KV Osstende.
Cottagers boss Slavisa Jokanovic moved to bring in the Ivory Coast international after seeing Matt Smith leave for rivals QPR.
Defensive midfielder Thanos Petsos was on the bench for the 2-0 win at Burton on Wednesday night and is pressing for a first start since signing on loan from Werder Bremen.
Togo forward Floyd Ayite came on for the closing stages as he returns to club action following the African Nations Cup.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/preview?gameId=452858

WhiteJC

Fan View: Fulham

Ahead of Fulham's trip to St. Andrews tomorrow afternoon, co-editor Rob Wildey caught up with Dan Crawford, Fulham fan and writer of Hammy End.

Slavisa Jokanovic had led Fulham into a flirtatious grab at a play-off place. What is the fans general opinion of him?

Jokanovic is probably our most popular manager since Roy Hodgson was at the helm. He seems to have very clear ideas about how he wants his team to play, what standards are acceptable and has pursued excellence from the outset. He's quite outspoken and has come out with some memorable quotes in the short time he has been at the club, which has only served to endear him to the fans just as much as the clear improvement on the pitch in recent months. Tying him down to a long-term contract would be a real coup.

What has Jokanovic done differently to his predecessors?

First of all, he's been a breath of fresh air and not been afraid to lay down the law and ship out the under performers. He carried out a complete overhaul of a terribly unbalanced squad in the summer and quickly reshaped a very leaky defence. The improvement on last year's laughable back four has been remarkable. The team also now has a very definitive style and pattern of play - and we've played some lovely, eye-catching football at times this season. Jokanovic has also been unafraid to give young players a taste of senior football - sixteen year-old Ryan Sessegnon took his opportunity in the EFL Cup earlier in the season and is now putting together a serious claim for a regular first-team spot.

What would represent a good season for Fulham?

Back in July, I would have honestly said an upper mid-table finish would have marked real progression from the two Championship relegation battles we have endured recently. But, even with the lack of striking back-up, it is clear there is enough quality in the squad to seriously threaten the top six, so you would hope that Fulham could put together a late run at the play-off places. With the division being such a competitive league, it is so tough to predict the results a day in advance so guessing what the final table might look like seems futile.

How big a loss was Ross McCormack?

It looks as though letting Ross leave was not as devastating to Fulham's prospects as some people feared. There's no doubt that he's a ridiculously talented footballer and you can't argue with his Championship scoring record. But it was clear that he couldn't fit into the 4-2-3-1 system that Jokanovic was looking to employ and, once clubs were offering to match the sort of money we paid Leeds for his services a couple of years ago, it became an attractive deal for Fulham. McCormack's struggles at your rivals have been well documented, whereas Fulham - despite losing both him and Moussa Dembele - look a far more cohesive side where everybody knows their role.

Which Fulham player should Birmingham City be wary of?

I'd be looking at shutting down the central midfield, where a lot of Fulham's creativity comes from, if I was Gianfranco Zola. Tom Cairney's lovely left foot steals most of the headlines, but the introduction of Stefan Johansen has really energised the midfield and offered more balance to the side. Johansen had a bit of an iffy start, but has become a regular source of goals and assists from a deep lying position. He also has boundless energy to get up and down the pitch and seems made for the hustle and bustle of the Championship.

If you had to sign one Birmingham player for the Fulham squad, who would it be and why?

A lot of Fulham fans were sad to see Kerim Frei depart Craven Cottage after such an explosive start to his career during our Premier League years as a nippy, young forward and we'll be very keen to see how he is getting on at St. Andrew's. I've always been a big fan of David Davis, for his energy, tackles, defensive cover and reading of the game. His never-say-die attitude also endears him to the fans and the fact that he signed a new contract last month amongst all the turmoil that had followed Gary Rowett's departure must have been a real boost.

What is your prediction for the game?

St. Andrew's is a notoriously tough place to get a result and I hope Fulham won't be lulled into a false sense of security by Zola's struggles to get a win. We saw from the way Birmingham began the season that there's plenty of quality in the squad and I'm expecting a hard-fought, close contest. My predictions of results of late have been disastrous but, for whatever it's worth, I'm going for a 1-1 draw.

Read more: http://www.birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=479142#ixzz4XhNdq7Jr

WhiteJC

Preview: Blues v Fulham

A full match preview ahead of Saturday's Sky Bet Championship fixture between Blues and Fulham at St. Andrew's (3pm kick-off).

Gianfranco Zola on what he expects from Fulham...
I'm not expecting anything easy from them. They're an in form team especially when they play away from home. They are good. They like keeping the ball and they like to get teams out of position and then take advantage of that. We know them but we are prepared.

Gianfranco Zola on the significance of Saturday's game...
It's a very, very significant game. Obviously we have come to a stage where we need to start producing. But this will come if we keep doing the right things on the pitch. The last game, big parts of the game we did very well against Reading. In other moments we lacked something and the result didn't come.

Gianfranco Zola on his players' confidence...
The confidence is obviously affected. I'm not going to lie to you because when you go through such a long spell without wins, you are somehow affected. But at the same time there is a lot of anger and fighting spirit building up inside because people want to get out of this situation. We know we are not perfect but we don't deserve this. We are determined to stop it very quickly so I am quite looking forward to see how the game is going to go tomorrow.

Gianfranco Zola asked if he had any concerns about the style of play he is looking to implement...
As a coach you always start to doubt what you do because it's a mental process. You have to always question what you do because it makes you sharp. But I believe in what I do. I look around and see that all the most successful teams play in a certain way so I try to implement this and I believe in that. I like it and the players like it too. So if I see that the players are committed to what we are doing then why should I stop? I know that the results are not great at the moment, but they will come.

Gianfranco Zola asked if getting that first win would swiftly lead to others...
There are a lot of people that have those feelings. They are trying but of course it very hard when you have such a difficult spell like this. Every time I think about it and look at the players, they are with me in this so I carry on my work."

Gianfranco Zola on the ongoing support he is receiving from the fans...
The supporters were magnificent on Tuesday night, we were very thankful for them because at the end of the day this is our team and we need to always be behind them. It is a tough time of course, I don't deny that but we are trying very hard and we are trying very hard because we want to give them satisfaction. There is no doubt that soon we will be celebrating all together.

Fulham Head Coach Slaviša Jokanovic...
I'm not talking about top-six, I'm not thinking about top-six. On the 7th of May we are going to know where we're going to finish in this competition. I prefer thinking about short steps, and the next chance in front of us is Birmingham. These are three new points to fight for against Birmingham. I don't know what's going to happen in this game, but we need to work with energy and desire to win the game which is immediately in front of us. We are playing with confidence, we believe we can play good football and win the game, and let's push hard and try to find the benefit of this situation.

Blues team news...
Deadline day loan signings Jerome Sinclair and Krystian Bielik will be eligible to play their first games for Blues. Ryan Shotton picked up a groin injury during Tuesday's game against Reading and will have a late fitness test, as will fellow centre-half  Michael Morrison. Winger Jacques Maghoma is back in contention after returning from international duty at the Africa Cup of Nations. Clayton Donaldson is some way off a return because of a heel injury.   

Supporter behaviour...
The Club urges all supporters to refrain from anti-social behaviour and conduct themselves in the correct manner at all our games, inside and outside the ground. The overwhelming majority of our support is well behaved, law-abiding and the passionate backing the team receives is greatly appreciated. However, as a Club we have a zero-tolerance policy regarding anti-social behaviour and spectator misconduct. This includes - amongst other things - drunkenness, throwing of coins     and use and carrying of pyrotechnics (flares, smoke bombs), racist and/or homophobic chanting. In particular, the throwing of coins and other missiles is extremely dangerous and is not tolerated whatsoever. This is a very serious offence and any supporter identified to have committed this and other such acts will be banned by the Club and also subject to the possibility of criminal prosecution. Birmingham City Football Club will continue to work closely with the police, football authorities and ground authorities to stamp out all types spectator misconduct. We would also like to remind supporters that if there are incidents of this nature in the future the Football Association have the power to impose a serious financial penalty on the Club and order matches to be played behind closed doors. The Club urges all supporters to assist us and help eradicate unlawful practices. Thank you.

Ticket details...
Tickets are on general sale. For prices and purchasing details, please click here.

Match officials...
Referee Andrew Madley will take charge of Saturday's game at St. Andrew's. So far this season the West Yorkshire-based official has refereed 29 games, where he has produced a total of 95 yellow cards and two reds. The last Blues fixture he took charge of was our Championship home game against Brighton in December. Blues lost that match 2-1 and Jonathan Grounds was the only player cautioned from either side. Mr Madley will be assisted by Mark Dwyer and James Wilson.

Form guide last five Championship matches...
Blues: LDDLL
Fulham: LWDLW

Last five meetings between Blues and Fulham...
Championship Sa 10 Sep 2016 Fulham 0  Blues 1
Championship Sa 19 Mar 2016 Blues  1  Fulham1
Championship Sa 07 Nov 2015 Fulham 2  Blues 5
Championship Sa 07 Feb 2015 Fulham 1  Blues 1
Championship Sa 27 Sep 2014 Blues  1  Fulham 2

Other Sky Bet Championship fixtures this weekend...
Friday 3 February
Wigan Athletic v Sheffield Wednesday 19:45

Saturday 4 February
Barnsley v Preston North End 15:00
Blackburn Rovers v Queens Park Rangers 15:00
Bristol City v Rotherham United 15:00
Burton Albion v Wolverhampton Wanderers 15:00
Cardiff City v Norwich City 15:00
Ipswich Town v Reading 15:00
Newcastle United v Derby County 15:00
Nottingham Forest v Aston Villa 17:30

Sunday 5 February
Huddersfield Town v Leeds United 12:00
Brentford v Brighton & Hove Albion 15:00

Read more at http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/2016-17/fulham-birmingham-city-3554494.aspx#1yleZCGilPESuBMS.99

WhiteJC

London Football Awards

Fulham have received five nominations across four categories at the London Football Awards 2017.

Slaviša Jokanović is up for Manager of the Year, and faces competition from Antonio Conte (Chelsea), Mauricio Pochettino (Tottenham Hotspur), Neil Harris (Millwall), and Neal Ardley (AFC Wimbledon).

There are two Fulham boys in contention for Football League Player of the Year, with Tom Cairney and Sone Aluko both looking to pick up the trophy that is currently held by former Whites striker Moussa Dembélé. Alex Smithies (Queens Park Rangers), Scott Hogan (ex-Brentford), and John Akinde (Barnet) are the other nominees.

Ryan Sessegnon's fine breakthrough season has not gone unnoticed, with the 16-year-old the youngest nominee for Young Player of the Year. Dele Alli (Spurs), Hector Bellerin (Arsenal), Alex Iwobi (Arsenal) and Ademola Lookman (ex-Charlton Athletic) provide the competition.

Finally, the Foundation's Feltham Young Offenders Institute programme has been nominated for Community Project of the Year. Last year the Foundation worked with 113 young offenders, which represents 22.6 per cent of the overall prison population. This project is up against Crystal Palace's Powerchair Football, and Leyton orient's DCD Football.

The awards ceremony will take place in Battersea on Thursday 2nd March.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/february/03/london-football-awards

WhiteJC

Birmingham v Fulham preview

David Cotterill has departed for Bristol City

Birmingham manager Gianfranco Zola could hand new signing Jerome Sinclair his debut when they host Fulham in the Championship.

Sinclair arrived on loan from Watford earlier this week and can strengthen a team that on Tuesday lost 1-0 at home to Reading. There could also be a first appearance for fellow loan recruit Krystian Bielik, from Arsenal.

David Cotterill also left on loan, heading to Bristol City.

Jacques Maghoma could also come into contention after his return from the African Nations Cup.

Fulham could include striker Gohi Cyriac in the squad following his deadline day loan move from KV Osstende.

Cottagers boss Slavisa Jokanovic moved to bring in the Ivory Coast international after seeing Matt Smith leave for rivals QPR.

Defensive midfielder Thanos Petsos was on the bench for the 2-0 win at Burton on Wednesday night and is pressing for a first start since signing on loan from Werder Bremen.

Togo forward Floyd Ayite came on for the closing stages as he returns to club action following the African Nations Cup.

http://www.skysports.com/football/birmham-vs-fulham/preview/358459

WhiteJC

One To Watch: Ryan Fredericks

Fulham are 6 points ahead of Birmingam City in the league coming into the fixture tomorrow. This doesn't tell the whole picture as Fulham seem to be one of the most inconsistent teams in the league whereas Birmingham City's results unfortunately are quite predictable as of late. The cottagers will come into the game with a sense of optimism considering the Blues' poor form but also after a mid-week victory and a win against Premier League Hull City in the FA Cup a couple of weeks ago.

Slaviša Jokanović is doing a superb job at Fulham and it seems as though he has them playing attacking football whilst also bringing talented youngsters into the fold. I really do rate him as a manager and considering we are playing so poorly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fulham come out of the traps all guns blazing especially to try and get an early goal. The front men of Chris Martin and Sone Aluko will cause us problems with their movement and all round clever play but it is the wider players that I think will give them a distinct advantage. Slaviša Jokanović uses his wingbacks to great effect and our wingers don't tend to track back leaving our fullbacks very much exposed to a two v one situation.

One of these wingbacks and my one to watch for tomorrow is Ryan Fredericks. I remember when he came on as a substitute in the Europa League for Tottenham Hotspur and a lot of fans were eagerly anticipating his break into the first team which didn't really materialise. As a school boy he was a track athlete; a sprint specialist. This tells you all that you need to know about this boys pace down the flanks. You can't just man mark him as he will speed past. You have to always be a few yards ahead just in case a chase is on and so we cannot switch off against him even just for a second.

The thing that Fredericks has added to his game recently is his ability to always appear calm. Previously he has rushed the ball down the line or played the ball out when better options are available. However now he calmly plays the ball inside or even down the line but it's all very controlled and it seems as though he has confidence in his ability now. No doubt Slaviša Jokanović has had words with him about it as he is a good man manager with his players.

Defensively, Fredericks is all good. He is very rarely caught square on and he is always looking to try and cut out crosses. It may seem obvious, but quite a lot of players stand back from crosses now maybe because they're too scared to get a ball in the face or just that they haven't got into position fast enough to close the player down. Fredericks does seem to put his body on the line so our crosses will have to be low and hard or just played with a quicker tempo than we are used to.

Overall, it will be hard to predict how the game will go but they have the attacking power to capitalise on our weak defence that is for sure. I have heard reports that both Shotton and Morrison are doubts for the game and this would just cap off the spell that we are in. Positive mindsets are being eroded at the Blues' as of late and I hate to say it, but I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Read more: http://www.birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=479135#ixzz4XhPGrAa5

WhiteJC

"I'd love to play for a club like Fulham" – Striker speaks out after failed deadline move

Yohan Boli was one of a number of strikers who Fulham tried to sign on transfer deadline day, and it was another deal that failed.

On Thursday we brought a claim from Belgium explaining that Fulham had offered €3m plus bonuses to Sint-Truidense V.V. for the 23 year old.

The offer was knocked back, and Boli added to list of Sergi Enrich and Aboubakar Kamara as known Fulham deadline fails.

Friday's copy of Het Belang Van Limburg has some quotes from Boli himself about the failed Fulham deal and he sounds like he's got his head screwed on: "I'm not lying, I would love to play for a club like Fulham. But it was Tuesday I first heard of their interest. When I take a step, I want to discuss it calmly with my family, but there was not time. It all went very quickly.

"Therefore both STVV and I came to the conclusion that it was better to stay at Stayen. I've got a lot of work to do, if everything goes according to plan, that lucrative transfer will probably follow. And then both the club and I get better from there."

Boli is a young footballer who knows what he wants, and if Fulham had made an approach earlier it may have all ended very differently.

HBVL say Boli could have tripled his salary with Fulham, but still that wasn't a great pulling factor for the player: "I'm only 23 years old, so money should not be the main driver. Especially because I wasn't in top shape lately. There is talk about crazy amounts. I heard about a transfer fee of €3m. It's not normal, right? Especially when you know that Mignolet left here for half. My teammates teased me at training. Also the coach.

"But I can handle it. The coach especially wanted to see if I'm at STVV with my head. No one needs to worry about that. I consider this story not as a missed opportunity."

Fulham should probably keep an eye on Boli's development in Belgium and then, if they're still interested, make a move before August 31st.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/id-love-play-club-like-fulham-striker-speaks-failed-deadline-move/

WhiteJC

Birmingham City v Fulham
SAT, 04 FEB 2017CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: St. Andrew's Stadium

Emilio Nsue is expected to make his second start in a Birmingham City shirt

BBC coverage
How to follow:
Commentary on BBC WM (DAB Birmingham); text commentary/report on BBC Sport website

Birmingham City have doubts over both centre-backs Michael Morrison and Ryan Shotton, who have groin injuries.

Jerome Sinclair and Krystian Bielik could both make their debut, while fellow January signing Emilio Nsue is set to replace Josh Dacres-Cogley.

Fulham striker Gohi Cyriac could make his debut after joining on loan from Belgian side KV Oostende.

Forward Neeskens Kebano is available again after returning from Africa Cup of Nations duty with DR Congo.

MATCH FACTS
Birmingham City are still to win in 10 league and cup matches since Gianfranco Zola took charge on 14 January.
Blues are unbeaten in four league games against Fulham, having failed to win any of the previous four.
Fulham have been shown a red card in two of their last three league games against Blues.
Fulham have attempted a league-high 456 shots in total this season in the Championship. They also have the best average possession figure (61.7%), best passing accuracy (83.1%) and the highest average of successful passes per game (470).
Since Gianfranco Zola took charge at Birmingham City, only Bristol City (1) have won fewer points than Blues (3) in the Championship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38778707

WhiteJC

Birmingham City v Fulham: Gianfranco Zola on a 'very, very significant' game.
BCFC boss demands his players reward Blues' loyal supporters.

Gianfranco Zola urged Birmingham City to channel their anger into Saturday's increasingly important Championship clash with Fulham.

The Blues boss admits his players' confidence has been hit by a run of ten games without a win.

However, he says in place of that confidence has come a burning desire to improve their form and to repay their 'magnificent' supporters for standing by them.

"The confidence is obviously affected," Zola admitted.

"I'm not going to lie to you because when you go through such a long spell without wins, you are somehow affected.

"But at the same time there is a lot of anger and fighting spirit building up inside because people want to get out of this situation.

"We know we are not perfect but we don't deserve this.

"We are determined to stop it very quickly so I am quite looking forward to see how the game is going to go tomorrow."

A match that following Tuesday's defeat to Reading and ahead of daunting trips to Sheffield Wednesday and Preston, assumes an even greater significance.

Blues are currently on their worst run since 2004 yet remain in the top half of the table - albeit three places and six points behind Fulham.

"It's a very, very significant game. Obviously we have come to a stage where we need to start producing.

"But this will come if we keep doing the right things on the pitch. The last game, big parts of the game we did very well against Reading.

"In other moments we lacked something and the result didn't come.

"We need to stick to it because that's what we have to do and we will see the result come.

"The supporters were magnificent on Tuesday night, we were very thankful for them because at the end of the day this is our team and we need to always be behind them.

"It is a tough time of course, I don't deny that but we are trying very hard and we are trying very hard because we want to give them satisfaction.

"There is no doubt that soon we will be celebrating all together."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-v-fulham-gianfranco-12554869

WhiteJC

Birmingham City v Fulham: Five reasons why Blues WILL win
BCFC's desire for a victory is so intense it almost hurts, so lets will it into being.

Birmingham City's need for a victory has become desperate. Ten games without one is their longest run since 2004.

So they need all the positivity anyone can muster which is why this week we're looking for five reasons Birmingham City WILL defeat Fulham on Saturday.

Here goes:

1. The law of the old boy

Just as Cameron Jerome proved last week, players always score against their former teams.

Which means that the twinkle-toed Kerim Frei will do just that against a club with whom he spent two very formative years.

The attacker has hit the ground running in his first two appearances - all that's missing is the goal.

2. The law of averages

I'm no mathematician but obviously Birmingham City are going to win a game of football at some point in the future.

Having gone ten games without tasting victory that eventuality must therefore be moving closer with every second that passes.

No time like the present.

3. Special K

Birmingham's goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak is performing as well as any in the Championship.

If Zola is forced to put out a makeshift defence, at present - other than some Marvel superhero, Kuszczak is probably the one man you'd want behind it.

Let's not worry too much about the fact Fulham have had more shots than any other Championship team. They haven't scored the most goals - and that's all that matters.

4. A just cause

Birmingham City supporters deserve it. They've had enough hardship and privation heaped upon them over the years, even when things go well something goes wrong.

But to their immense credit even if they don't agree with the circumstances of his arrival they have stayed behind their manager.

The players are still playing for him too and as long as that continues Birmingham have a chance.

5. Greater motivation

If any team knows that desperation is a powerful motivator, Birmingham City are that team.

Gary Rowett tapped into that when he first arrived and Gianfranco Zola has attempted to as well.

Today he urged his troops to take their anger on to the field of play and if Blues can do that they will be a handful.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-v-fulham-five-12555267

WhiteJC

Match day musings #11: Blues v Fulham

I gave up on predicting the outcome of Blues games a long time ago. Usually, the unpredictable nature of our team makes it almost impossible to call the correct result - in recent weeks though, it has been predictable but, for my sanity to remain intact (just about) I merely cross my fingers and hope for the best. And that`s what I`ll be doing against Fulham this afternoon.

The Cottagers arrive at St. Andrews in fairly decent nick. Three points behind the play-offs in ninth, Fulham have their eyes firmly on the end-of-season lottery that now seems out of Birmingham City`s reach. Of course, the nine point gap that separates Blues from the top six isn`t insurmountable, especially with 17 games remaining. But the points tally of Reading, Leeds and Huddersfield mean that, realistically, only one play-off spot is there for the taking. With Preston, Norwich, Fulham, Barnsley, Sheffield Wed and Derby all ahead of Blues in the queue, it`s an extremely tall order.

Gianfranco Zola will be concentrating more on the short term objectives - namely, his first win as Blues manager. Ten games have passed without a win and the law of averages would suggest that it will happen soon. I`m sick of saying it, though. Results are needed. Many claim the theory of 'once we`ve won one, we`ll fly` to be true. Others claim the 'Zola is out of his depth` theory to be case. In reality, no one knows and, until the long overdue first win arrives, we`ll be left picking up the pieces and speaking of what could have been.

Blues haven`t beat Fulham in their last three attempts at St. Andrews but they haven`t lost in four at Craven Cottage, including a 1-0 win there in September. Since 1949, the clubs have met 38 times with a record that cannot be separated - Blues winning 11, losing 11 and drawing 16. Blues could seriously do with turning that record in their favour today.

With England`s Six Nations campaign set to get underway at 4.50pm, Blues fans do not need yet another excuse to vacate the stadium early.

As always, Keep Right On!

Read more: http://www.birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=479086#ixzz4XhSHKmUZ

WokinghamWhite

Black Sabbath are playing their final gig tonight at the NEC. Guess this means that roads and trains out of Brum after the match might be a bit busier than usual.

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

We've had two good results on the spin now. Hull City are a Premier League outfit with a lot of top players, while Burton Albion are stubborn. That one on Wednesday was a victory for patience because we had all the possession and in the end we wore them down. I was following it on my phone because I was at West Ham-Manchester City doing a bit of work, and I was delighted when I saw that we'd gone 2-0 up as that could have been a bit of a banana skin. We drew with them at the Cottage with a late equaliser, in another game where we were on top, so we knew it wouldn't be an easy game. They've turned some decent teams over at home, and they would have been given a boost by the recent news that the manager had decided to stay rather than go to Nottingham Forest, so all round it was a good result for us.

We need to take this form into Saturday's game, where we face a Birmingham City side who can't buy a win at the moment. Gianfranco Zola is still looking for his first three points, but he's played some good teams since he's been in charge. It was arguably their trickiest period of fixtures when Zola came in and he immediately came up against a host of promotion chasers in his first half a dozen games. So they're not as bad as the form guide might suggest. But if we go there and score an early goal, you'd fancy us to go all the way because their fans will be ready to get on their backs. I think Zola is a decent coach and will be a good manager in time. He's a good fella so I hope he does well, but only after Saturday's game.

We've then got two home league games in quick succession, when Wigan Athletic and Nottingham Forest come down. Warren Joyce took over from Gary Caldwell at Wigan and is a man who has nurtured a lot of the excellent talent that's come through the ranks at Manchester United, so he deserves a crack in a good job, which Wigan is. It's always been a well-run club, but they were an example of how you can struggle once you get relegated from the top flight. They're another good footballing side, so it should suit us playing against them.

Gary Brazil is currently in charge at Forest, and he's someone that Fulham fans will remember well. He's a good lad who's always been in football since he retired, mainly in youth, and what a job he's got there if they decide to go with him full-time. I've got some friends coming to that game, and I'm doing the in-vision for Sky, so I'm really looking forward to it. I also said to my partner I'm taking her out for Valentine's Day, although I'm not sure she'll be as pleased as I am that it's a trip to the Cottage!

I really like Forest as a club, but I do have history with them as I got sent off in the FA Cup Semi-Final against them in 1991. I got a bit of an unwanted record as I was the first player to be shown a red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity with a professional foul. It was actually a pretty unprofessional foul as I nearly dislocated my shoulder! It was the wrong decision anyway, and 25 years later the referee Keith Hackett came out and said he made a mistake. At the time I wanted him to rescind the decision, but he just never spoke to me. But then about a year ago I got a phone call to tell me that he was the face of this new website called you-are-the-ref.com. They asked me if I'd come and do the first interview for them, with Keith. I told them they were having a laugh after what he'd done to me and 25,000 West Ham fans, ruining my day, their day, and my family's day. They said, "Well, we'll give you £3,000." So I asked, "What time do you want me?!"

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/february/03/the-tony-gale-column

WhiteJC

Matchday Info

Have a read of all the key matchday details ahead of Fulham's trip to St Andrew's on Saturday afternoon.

Possible opposition absentees

Ryan Shotton - groin injury

Michael Morrison - groin injury

Clayton Donaldson - calf injury

Tickets

Tickets are now off sale and will not be available to purchase on the day.
Getting there

Fast trains from Euston take under 90 minutes, with the ground then a half hour walk from any of the Birmingham stations.

Weather

It will be dry all day in Birmingham, but temperatures will be as low as six degrees at kick-off.

Coral match odds

Birmingham: 5/2

Draw: 5/2

Fulham: 21/20

Form

Birmingham: DLDLL

Fulham: WDLWW

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/february/03/matchday-info-birmingham-city

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday climbed into the Championship's top six with a scrappy win at relegation-threatened Wigan.

Ross Wallace's goal was his third in his last four games for the Owls

Sheffield Wednesday climbed into the Championship's top six with a scrappy win at relegation-threatened Wigan.

The Owls handed an immediate debut to deadline-day signing Jordan Rhodes.

And the on-loan Middlesbrough striker provided the assist for the game's only goal by heading on for Ross Wallace to poke in from six yards.

Sam Morsy forced a brave save from Owls keeper Keiren Westwood, while James Weir headed over as Wigan were frustrated in their attempts to level.

Wednesday's victory lifts them above Derby into sixth place, although the Rams will reclaim the position if they win at second-placed Newcastle on Saturday.

Wigan remain third from bottom, three points from safety but with a game in hand on Burton Albion.

Despite making eight deadline-day signings, the Latics named an unchanged team for the third successive game as they tried to make it three straight Championship wins for the first time since March 2014.

But in a low-key first half, which saw it take until the 29th minute for Morsy to register the first shot on target, it was Wednesday debutant Rhodes who made an impact, nodding down Vincent Sasso's high ball to Wallace, who finished via a deflection off Jake Buxton with his side's only effort on target.

Wigan improved after the break and, after saving at the feet of Morsy, Westwood comfortably held Dan Burn's header before debutant Weir's close-range effort flew over his bar.

Latics full-back Callum Connolly also had an effort ruled out for offside as the Owls registered only their second win in six league games.

Wigan Athletic manager Warren Joyce told BBC Radio Manchester:

"The way we conceded the goal just before half-time was disappointing.

"We started the game well and were on top, without having a clear-cut chance, and I thought we were on the front foot.

"But in that little spell before half-time I felt we lost our shape a little bit. They've got some good players and they were going to have little bits of play and it's important that when the opposition do that we regroup and we're more resilient and solid and don't concede.

"I couldn't be disappointed with the effort and commitment from the players to try to get something from the game."

Sheffield Wednesday manager Carlos Carvalhal told BBC Radio Sheffield:

"This will be the beginning of the rest of the season, and it was very important to win this game.

"We have played three games in a row away from home and now we have 10 at home and seven away, so we're in a good position to attack the rest of the Championship with more energy.

"I believe that we'll play better football, have better performances and I'm sure we'll achieve a good position."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38766583