https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (13/02/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 13, 2017, 07:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Odoi delighted to break Fulham duck
by DAN on FEBRUARY 11, 2017

Denis Odoi was delighted to break his goalscoring duck as Fulham staged a second half rally to come from behind and beat struggling Wigan Athletic in a five-goal thriller at Craven Cottage this afternoon.

The Belgian full-back's first goal for the club came at a crucial time as he smashed in a 25-yarder from a quickly taken free-kick to level the contest nineteen minutes from time. Odoi told GetWestLondon Sport:

That's not my speciality so I'm happy I was able to help the team that way. It was a nice first goal.

Odoi, who was restored to the starting line-up this afternoon in place of the suspended Ryan Fredericks, echoed the thoughts of his head coach Slavisa Jokanovic that Fulham still have plenty to work on after sloppiness at the back nearly cost his side very dear.

I think we were relieved. We got the three points and the win, but we also need to think about our performance. Possession wise we were strong but we weren't solid enough in defence. If we had defended solidly, it would have been an easy game.

We were obviously frustrated. They didn't have one chance – we just gave them the goals and made it too easy for them.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/02/odoi-delighted-to-break-fulham-duck/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic wants improvement against Forest

Slavisa Jokanovic was far from happy with Fulham's performance despite them coming from behind to beat Wigan 3-2.

Neeskens Kebano's injury-time goal gave the Whites a dramatic victory but they were shaky at the back and boss Jokanovic wants to see an improvement against Nottingham Forest on Tuesday.

"We weren't solid enough. We didn't show a good enough attitude or desire to defend," he said.

"I expect I'm going to find something different on Tuesday night and we're going to be better in some parts of the game.

"At the end we scored the third goal and we go home satisfied with the points today, but I'm not satisfied with what we offered."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss-expects-improved-display-nottingham-forest

WhiteJC

Fulham Host Dons

Fulham shift their focus this week away from the PL2 and back to the Premier League Cup as they host AFC Wimbledon on Monday evening.

The reverse fixture of this match was postponed earlier in the season and will now be played on Thursday 2nd March behind closed doors.

Fulham go into this game full of confidence without a defeat in their previous seven matches in all competitions, and are looking to make it four wins on the bounce.

On Monday, Fulham grinded out a 1-0 victory over Middlesbrough, to make it a fourth win over the Boro this season.

"The game wasn't going well for a period, but they kept digging in and showed a resilience and robustness which we expect from players that represent Fulham FC," commented Head Coach Peter Grant.

The Cup this year, which takes on a Champions League style format, has the Whites at the top of their group. They aim to strengthen their grip at the summit by beating the Dons, who are propping up the table.

The Central League team lost their last match 2-1 against Southend United in the League Cup, and are second in their group of four. Three points will be vital for Wimbledon against Fulham if they are to have any hope of progressing to the knock out rounds.

Asked whether he would rather continue with the league whilst his team is enjoying this rich vein of form, Grant responded, "Whatever competition you are in you always wants to win whatever game you're playing in.

"It doesn't matter if it's the league or the cup, you want to win the game and you want to play well in the game, so it really doesn't change for us.

"Because in the league, what was it, 13-16 points behind Swansea?" questioned Grant. "Now it's down to seven and all we've been doing is trying to put our house in order and trying to win our games.

"Our aim now is to try to win every game between now and the end of the season, and to try and perform in every game. That's the players' challenge that's been thrown down to them, and so far so good.

"So I've been very pleased with them and we are aiming to be number one in both competitions, that's what we set out to be, and if we get there we will be absolutely delighted.

"We've got to keep fighting and fighting, and keep playing well because we've got very difficult games coming up. We'll have to be at our best in the next, hopefully, 10 games that are left, five league games and five cup games. We can be double winners and that's what I aim to do."

The Match kicks off Monday 13th February, 7pm at Motspur Park.

Fans are encouraged to attend this game, with tickets available on the turnstiles for £3 adults and £1 for concessions and under-16s. Season Ticket Holders can attend for free, on production of their card.

Live match updates will be provided by our official Twitter account.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/february/12/pl2-cup-fulham-host-afc-wimbledon

WhiteJC

Winning ugly – it's what Fulham need to do
by DAN on FEBRUARY 12, 2017

In the frenzied aftermath of Neeskens Kebano's last gasp winner against battling Wigan yesterday, the overriding emotion was relief. In the closing seconds of the stoppage time, the Congolese winger – who has barely been seen at Craven Cottage since missing a glorious chance against QPR last year – produced a couple of touches of class to extend Fulham's hopes of reaching the Championship play-offs. The sense of reassurance amongst the Fulham faithful was tangible, but not to Slavisa Jokanovic. The Fulham head coach, a notoriously difficult man to please, was still angry in his post-match interviews, incensed by the way his side had given up a winning position so easily.

Jokanovic also allowed his frustration at the ultimately negligible impact of Fulham's pretty passing football to surface for possibly the first time. The home side were always likely to have more of the ball against a side scrapping for their lives towards the foot of the table, but converting 73 per cent of the possession into just six shots on target clearly wasn't good enough:

It's not important that we have 73 per cent possession of the ball if you cannot fix the problem without the ball. This kind of present we gave them today is simply not acceptable. If we don't improve this part of the game we cannot be successful.

Some of Fulham's fluent football was very eye-catching but they utterly dominated the first twenty five minutes of the contest without even testing Jakob Haugaard until a fine bit of wing play from Sone Aluko created the first goal for Floyd Ayite. The lack of an unconventional threat to trouble two big centre halves in Dan Burn and Lewis Buxton was recognised by Jokanovic just twelve minutes into the second half, when he withdrew Chris Martin and introduced Cyriac and also threw on Kebano for Kevin McDonald. Cyriac didn't snuff out too many opportunities in front of goal but buzzed around on the shoulder of the last Wigan defender and Kebano's eager runs – as part as an all-African front four alongside Ayite and Aluko – eventually prized open the visiting defence as they tired.

The basic defensive errors that once appeared to be a thing of the past returned in the absence of Tomas Kalas. Tim Ream, who had been enjoying a much improved run at the heart of the Fulham back four, was turned far too easily several times by Omar Bogle, who on another day could very easily have had a hat-trick. The American centre back also opted not to play a simple back pass across goal to David Button in the first half, electing to try and play his out of trouble to almost devastating effect. Just as alarming was the lackadaisical marking that allowed both Max Power and Michael Jacobs so much room to score Wigan's second at the end of the first half – such sloppy defending could easily have been punished by Bogle in the second period as well.

Fulham's path towards the play-offs is now so fraught with danger that the merest slip-up may prove fatal. Where the current occupants of the top six have strung together five or six straight wins with ease, inconsistency is the Whites' watchword. They also have struggled to grind out results when the going gets tough. Birmingham last weekend, when the Blues physical approach successfully nullified Tom Cairney and eventually provoked Ryan Fredericks into a brainless tackle, was a classic example. The Whites look like a wonderful side when given the time and space to play, but are fitful when opponents become a little robust – the Arsenal of the Championship, if you will.

The positive to take from the hard work that Jokanovic's side made of what could have been a routine victory is that they did finally win ugly. Achieving results in the face of adversity – or even when you just aren't playing well – is a hallmark of successful sides. Fulham have put away both Huddersfield and Reading at Craven Cottage playing some wondrous football but close contests when they have been below that majestic level have largely resulted in disappointment. This isn't just down to bad luck, but belief and desire as well as sheer bloody-mindedness to drag the team over the line.

On that very point, the contribution of Scott Parker in the final ten minutes proved crucial yesterday. Removing Sone Aluko, who had given both Latics full-backs a real working over, in favour of a veteran holding midfielder at a pivotal point in the contest might have seemed perverse, but Parker's experience proved invaluable at the death. He slotted in at the base of the Fulham midfield to provide protection that had been missing since the withdrawal of McDonald and afforded both Tom Cairney and Stefan Johansen the license to express themselves further forward. Up the other end, in the dying embers of injury time, his pass to Cairney was not the abdication of responsibility as time ticked by, but a recognition that a gifted creative midfielder might be better able to thread the ball through a crowded penalty area. It proved very prescient indeed.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/02/winning-ugly-its-what-fulham-need-to-do/

WhiteJC

Christensen getting his 'confidence back' at Burton
by DAN on FEBRUARY 12, 2017

Lasse Vigen Christensen says he is getting his confidence back at Burton Albion and hopes that his energetic performances on loan can help the Brewers be successful in their battle against relegation from the Championship.

The former Danish under-21 international captain is still highly regarded at Fulham, having made more than fifty league appearances having broken through from the club's academy at Motspur Park, but had not started a Championship fixture this term under Slavisa Jokanovic prior to his January loan move to the Pirelli Stadium. Christensen made his mark on his Burton debut – setting up the winner for Lloyd Dyer at QPR – and is enjoying the taste of regular football again under Nigel Clough.

The 22 year-old told the Football League Paper:

My situation at Fulham was not the best and I was looking to get out. Fulham wanted me to go and play, too, and Burton were obviously the interested party in taking me on loan. They got together with Fulham, and now I have the opportunity to play in the same division as my [parent] club. I can play against the same teams at the same level, so it is a good option for me.

It's important for me to get that happiness and joy back in football, as well as my confidence. I have been working hard over the last few years, even though I have not played as much as I would have liked, and I believe I have improved and that I am a better player.

I am the sort of player that will give my all. I will do what I can to make sure Burton have a good final few months of the season. I have definitely been surprised at how good the level of football has been since I came. The two games I was part of showed we can win games, and to come back from a 1-0 deficit against Wolves was a good boost. There is definitely enough talent here to stay in the Championship.

Christensen has been joined at Burton by his fellow Fulham academy graduate Cauley Woodrow and the striker scored a vital winner against Wolves last weekend.

We are still trying to sort out a more permanent place, but so far we have been together in the hotel. It always helps when you come to a new place to have someone in the same position. It makes off-the-pitch stuff a little easier because you don't now too many people.

We both wanted to come here and make a positive impact and both of us have been lucky enough to do that in our first starts. Each of them was a very important time in the game. It's brilliant to come in straight away and help the team out, not just through our play but by making a difference on paper as well and helping the team win games.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/02/christensen-getting-his-confidence-back-at-burton/

WhiteJC

Fulham defender reveals frustration against Wigan - but is looking forward to DVD
Whites had to wait until the last minute to sink Latics 3-2 after calamitous mistakes in defence nearly handed a shock win to the Championship strugglers

Fulham defender Denis Odoi is looking forward to seeing his 35-yard goal against Wigan on replay - but reckons at the end where he should be doing the business, all was far from well.

Whites took an early lead through Floyd Ayite, before the tables were turned by Scott Malone's own goal and Jakobs before the interval.

Odoi's screamer levelled the tie before Neeskens Kebano's injury-time winner sealed the points for the hosts in a rollercoaster affair.

And the Belgium international said although the Cottagers' never-say-die attitude saw them claim the points, defensively they must improve.

Did you see that? Denis Odoi scores from 35 yards

He said: "I think we were relieved, we got the three points and the win, but we also need to think about our performance.

"Possession-wise we were strong as always but we weren't solid enough in defence, that's what made it hard for us. If we had defended more solidly, it would've been an easy game.

"You know that if you can draw, can get the equaliser, it's going to be hard for them. We kept on pushing, kept on pushing, then we got the equaliser.

"Then they were just defending, and we were lucky enough to get a late win."

Fulham were struggling to find a way through Wigan when a quick free-kick ploy saw the ball laid off to Odoi, who rocketed an effort through a series of bodies and beyond substitute goalkeeper Matt Gilks.

It set up the way for the Whites to force all three points, but the 28-year-old says not to expect thunderbolts from him every week - or ever again, really.

Early promise: Floyd Ayite celebrates 1-0 to Whites

"If you're in the moment, you don't really see it that way, so I need to re-see the images, apparently it quite far out.

"That's not my speciality so I'm happy I was able to help the team that way - it was a nice first goal.

"We didn't fear the worst, but we were obviously frustrated with ourselves that they didn't have one chance - we just gave them the goals, made it way too easy for them.

"We were frustrated about our defensive level, but we still had 45 minutes to make up for it, we knew what we needed to do, keeping on playing and more solid defensively."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-defender-reveals-frustration-against-12594497