watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (14/02/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 14, 2017, 07:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham boss says England destroyer has to bide his time – until tomorrow against Nottingham Forest?
Whites boss needs to see more from international defender before he gets his starting place back

There was no place in Fulham's starting line-up for Ragnar Sigurdsson on Saturday against Wigan – and his boss is unapologetic.

Slavisa Jokanovic swerved the question as to why the man who helped eliminate England from Euros 2016 has failed to cut it as a starting regular in a Championship team since the beginning of January.

But the Icelander can only hope he catches the eye and justify the near £4 million Fulham paid Russian outfit Krasnodar for his services in August.

Ouch! Ragnar Sigurdsson scores against England with Joe Hart hurt twice over

Joka joked the central defender has so far been absent only because he cannot add to the regulation XI.

"If I can start with 14, it would be a fabulous tactic," he said.

"But I cannot compare Russia with the Championship, I don't know Russia.

I am working with him (Sigurdsson), and when I consider he starts – then he will, that's it.

It's similar to that with (January loan signings) (Thanos) Petsos or (Gohi) Cyriac. Everybody has to be ready for their turn."

Maybe that's tomorrow at home to Nottingham Forest after Whites were at fault at the back to concede two Wigan goals on Saturday, despite coming back to win 3-2.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-says-england-destroyer-12594868

WhiteJC

ANGRY MR LININGTON TO REF NOTTINGHAM FOREST GAME

Referee James Linington can claim that every match in the EFL is an overseas appointment, requiring the short hop over from his home on the Isle of Wight.

He is a very experienced referee having refereed in the EFL for 9 seasons and this season he has joined the new elite group of full-time referees to officiate Sky Bet Championship matches, titled as Select Group 2

Mr Linington last reffed Fulham in the 2-2 home draw with Norwich in October 2016. He booked Aluko and Malone for fouls. Parker for disent and Johansen for "arguing" with a Norwich player. Malone gave away TWO penelties.

Our most recent meeting with Mr Linington, before the Norwich game, was another 2-2 draw in October 2015 away at Charlton. He handed out a yellow card to Christensen.

Linington last reffed Nottingham Forest in a 1-0 home defeat by Barnsley in January 2017.

Last season he refed 26 games and dished out 74 yellows and 4 reds, so 2.8 yellows per game. He was below the League average of 3.1 yellows per game and was also below average for red cards.

So far this season he has refed 22 games and dished out 100 yellows, an above average 4.5 yellows per game, and 3 reds.

In his last two games, this season, he waved his red card twice, once against Brighton who went on to lose their game 3-1, against Huddersfield, and the other time against Leeds who went on to lose 2-0, against Cardiff.

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/angry-mr-linington-to-ref-nottingham-forest-game.aspx

WhiteJC

Odoi: Necessary Three Points

Denis Odoi was pleased to play an important role in Fulham's victory on Saturday, but acknowledged that his side were not at their best.

The right-back scored his first goal for the Club to restore parity against Wigan Athletic, and in some style too.

Stefan Johansen squared a free-kick to Odoi, who got the ball under control before lashing a stunning shot into the bottom corner from 35 yards. One from the training ground perhaps?

"Not at all!" Odoi confessed. "I was just waiting for Stef to drop it into the box, but then also the coach was shouting at me to be available.

"Then Stef played it and I just took a strike. Most of the time it goes wide, but this time it went in and I'm happy that I could help in this way.

"It was a nice strike – don't expect me to do that every week though! I'm happy but the most important thing was getting the three points, which was necessary."

Neeskens Kebano then hit the winner deep into stoppage time to secure a 3-2 win for Fulham, and Odoi was relieved to see the Whites nab the victory despite a couple of errors earlier in the game.

"Everybody's happy of course to get the three points and to stay in the running for a Play-Off spot," he explained, "but we also need to be critical about our performance and we know as a team that we need to defend better.

"I think it was very important that we got this win, because if we hadn't then we would have lost a bit of ground on the top-six. It's good that we came through towards the end.

"We had the majority of the ball possession but I think defensively we weren't solid enough and that's what caused us to have problems. If we'd been more solid in defence then the game would have been easier for us."

The second of a three match run at home sees Nottingham Forest make the journey south on Tuesday evening, and Odoi stressed the importance of securing back-to-back wins.

"We just need to focus," he stated. "It's going to be a very important week, especially Tuesday if we want to stay in the running for a Play-Off spot.

"We need to be solid at home and always keep the three points at Craven Cottage, and that's the case against Nottingham Forest."

Tickets for Tuesday's game are available to purchase on General Sale, priced from just £25 for adults and £15 for juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/february/13/denis-odoi-necessary-three-points

WhiteJC

Lasse Vigen Christensen: Fulham loanee admits he is surprised at how good Burton Albion are

Lasse Vigen Christensen wants to enjoy his football again at Burton Albion and insists the Brewers have the quality to remain in the Championship. Christensen and Fulham teammate Cauley Woodrow signed for Albion on loan for the rest of the season towards the end of January, and the 22-year-old made his Brewers debut just a day later in the 2-1 victory at Queens Park Rangers.

Since joining, Christensen has made three appearances for the Brewers and looks a real asset, with his skill on the ball helping Albion create attacks including an assist for Lloyd Dyer on his debut at Loftus Road.

The Danish under-21 international had not played for Fulham since an EFL Cup defeat to Bristol City in September and is still building his fitness. But Christensen is keen to rebuild his fitness and confidence, and will give his all to help Albion - currently 21st in the Championship - avoid the drop.

Lasse Vigen Christensen celebrates with Lloyd Dyer after setting up Burton Albion's second goal in their 2-1 win at QPR

"It's important for me to get that happiness and joy back in football, as well as my confidence," Christensen told the Football League Paper. "I have been working hard over the last few years, even though I have not played as much as I would have liked, and I believe I have improved and that I am a better player.

"I am the sort of player that will give my all. I will do what I can to make sure Burton have a good final few months of the season. I have definitely been surprised at how good the level of football has been since I came.

"The two games (before last weekend's defeat at Brighton) I was part of showed we can win games, and to come back from a 1-0 deficit against Wolves was a good boost. There is definitely enough talent here to stay in the Championship."

Woodrow netted the late winner in that 2-1 win over Wolves, slotting home from Tom Flanagan's header, and Christensen can tell the benefit of moving to a new club on loan with a Fulham teammate, even if the living situation remains slightly difficult.

"We are still trying to sort out a more permanent place, but so far we have been together in the hotel," Christensen told FLP. "It always helps when you come to a new place to have someone in the same position. It makes off-the-pitch stuff a little easier because you don't now too many people.

"We both wanted to come here and make a positive impact and both of us have been lucky enough to do that in our first starts. Each of them was a very important time in the game.

"It's brilliant to come in straight away and help the team out, not just through our play but by making a difference on paper as well and helping the team win games."

Read more at http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/lasse-vigen-christensen-fulham-loanee-admits-he-is-surprised-at-how-good-burton-albion-are/story-30132272-detail/story.html#hR0Fvd4K8186TuSm.99

WhiteJC

Odoi urges further Fulham improvement
by DAN on FEBRUARY 13, 2017

Denis Odoi was delighted to contribute his first Fulham goal as the Whites came from behind to clinch a vital victory over Wigan Athletic on Saturday – but has urged Slavisa Jokanovic's side to be honest about their failings and continue to improve.

The Belgian full-back rifled home an outstanding equaliser from fully 25 yards to drag Fulham out of a self-inflicted hole against Warren Joyce's side but, speaking to the club's official website, laughed off suggestions that Stefan Johansen's quickly-taken free-kick was a rehearsed move from the Motspur Park training ground.

Not at all! I was just waiting for Stef to drop it into the box, but then also the coach was shouting at me to be available. Then Stef played it and I just took a strike. Most of the time it goes wide, but this time it went in and I'm happy that I could help in this way.

It was a nice strike – don't expect me to do that every week though! I'm happy but the most important thing was getting the three points, which was necessary.

Odoi echoed his head coach in highlighting parts of Fulham's patchy performance as containing real areas for improvement if they are to increase the pressure on the Championship's top six.

Everybody's happy of course to get the three points and to stay in the running for a play-off spot, but we also need to be critical about our performance and we know as a team that we need to defend better. I think it was very important that we got this win, because if we hadn't then we would have lost a bit of ground on the top six. It's good that we came through towards the end.

We had the majority of the ball possession but I think defensively we weren't solid enough and that's what caused us to have problems. If we'd been more solid in defence then the game would have been easier for us.

The defender, who will enjoy an extended run in the side as a result of Ryan Fredericks' suspension, has exhorted his team-mates to concentrate on the task in hand.

We just need to focus. It's going to be a very important week, especially Tuesday if we want to stay in the running for a play-off spot. We need to be solid at home and always keep the three points at Craven Cottage, and that's the case against Nottingham Forest.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/02/odoi-urges-further-fulham-improvement/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Nottingham Forest

TUE, 14 FEB 2017CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Craven Cottage

Former Fulham striker Ross McCormack joined Nottingham Forest on loan on 1 February after scoring three times in 22 outings for Aston Villa

BBC coverage
How to follow:
Watch BBC Radio 5 live Final Score on Red Button and online; BBC local radio; live text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Fulham right-back Ryan Fredericks continues his three-match suspension, with Denis Odoi likely to deputise again against Nottingham Forest.

Centre-back Tomas Kalas missed Saturday's 3-2 win over Wigan with a hip problem and will be assessed.

Forest goalkeeper Stephen Henderson (Achilles) is out for the season, with Jordan Smith and Vladimir Stojkovic in contention to replace him.

Eric Lichaj is banned while fellow defender Matt Mills (groin) is a doubt.

On-loan striker Ross McCormack returns to Craven Cottage for the first time since leaving Fulham to join Aston Villa for £12m in August.

The 30-year-old Scotland international scored 38 league goals in 89 appearances for the Whites during two years in west London.

Match facts

Prior to their most recent league meeting at Craven Cottage (a 3-1 win for Forest last May), Fulham had gone five games unbeaten against Forest on home soil (W2 D3).
Forest have scored 14 goals across their last five league meetings with Fulham (2.8 per game).
No Championship player has provided more assists this calendar year than Tom Cairney (4, level with Pablo Hernandez and Anthony Knockaert).
Ross McCormack scored on his league debut for Forest in their last match against Norwich - the Scotsman scored 38 league goals and provided 18 assists for their opponents Fulham between 2014 and 2016.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38889068

WhiteJC

GARY BRAZIL: NOTTINGHAM FOREST CAN CAPITALISE ON THIS FULHAM WEAKNESS

Nottingham Forest caretaker manager Gary Brazil believes that his side can hurt Fulham on the counter attack when they face each other on Tuesday.

The two sides meet at Craven Cottage in the Championship and go into the game after contrasting results at the weekend.

Forest were humiliated 5-1 away to Fulham on Saturday and also lost goalkeeper Stephen Henderson to an Achilles injury, which is set to see him miss the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, Fulham secured a dramatic 3-2 victory over Wigan as substitute Neeskens Kevano scored a 94th minute winner.

Brazil claims that his side can cause Fulham difficulties on the break as they are vulnerable to it.

"Fulham commit forward and will leave themselves vulnerable on the counter attack and that is something we can take advantage of," Brazil said, as quoted by the club's official Twitter account.

Forest are currently seven points above the relegation places and have recently announced that Brazil will remain in charge until the end of the season.

The Midlands club have enjoyed wins over Aston Villa and Rotherham recently, but were dealt a crushing blow against Norwich.

They will now try and force a result against an attack-minded Fulham team, who are regarded by most as one of the most eye catching teams to watch.

The Londoners are full of attacking talents and play with a great fluency, but Brazil feels they can be punished defensively.

In other Nottingham Forest news, the club have targeted who they want to be in charge next season.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/gary-brazil-nottingham-forest-can-capitalise-on-this-fulham-weakness/

WhiteJC

Why picking Vladimir Stojkovic to replace Stephen Henderson is not a straightforward decision

Vladimir Stojkovic saves a penalty for Forest.

Nottingham Forest boss Gary Brazil looks set to choose between Vladimir Stojkovic, Dimitar Evtimov and Jordan Smith in goal against Fulham. Here, Reds legend Kenny Burns looks at Brazil's options.

It will be interesting to see who gets the nod in goal for Forest now Stephen Henderson is ruled out for the season.

A lot of people might think it's a straightforward decision to pick Vladimir Stojkovic ahead of Dimitar Evtimov and Jordan Smith.

Stojkovic is an international goalkeeper, and he's played a lot of games in the Championship already this season, while Evtimov and Smith are both youngsters.

But, while the Serbian did well at the start of the season, he had a bit of a dip in form and started making a few mistakes before being replaced between the posts by Henderson.

His experience will count for a lot going into a match against Fulham at Craven Cottage, but I'm sure it won't be the only thing Gary Brazil takes into account before he makes his decision.

He will probably look at Stojkovic's attitude in training since he has been left out.

I've no reason to think it's been bad, but if he's not responded to being left out of the team in the right way, it might affect Brazil's choice.

The Forest manager clearly rates Smith very highly, saying he would have no qualms about picking him for the Fulham match if it had turned out Stojkovic was injured.

But if I was a manager I would be wary about throwing the kid into the team.

I think putting a young player into a team, in any position, when it's not doing really well can damage rather than help their progress.

Evtimov might be a good choice. I think he should have been given a chance in the team last season.

Whoever plays, I have to say I feel sorry for Henderson.

Facing a long time out injured is never a nice thing, and his injury has come at a time when he looked to be establishing himself in the team.

Read more at http://www.nottinghampost.com/why-picking-vladimir-stojkovic-to-replace-stephen-henderson-is-not-a-straightforward-decision/story-30132671-detail/story.html#dpvMwSmZDp2Oz372.99

WhiteJC

Can McCormack fire Forest back to form in familiar Fulham surroundings?

Ross McCormack celebrates his goal at Norwich

Nottingham Forest will look to banish the memory of last weekend's painful defeat at Norwich when they head to Craven Cottage to face Fulham. The Reds' away form has been one of their major weaknesses this season, but Gary Brazil will hope that Ross McCormack can conjure up something special against his former club.

Talking tactics: Fulham had struggled for form on home soil earlier in the season – and have still only won six of their 15 outings at Craven Cottage.

But they have won four of their last six home fixtures, including a thumping 5-0 success over Reading.

On top of that, the Cottagers are among the highest home scorers in the Championship, having notched 28 times – a figure only bettered by Brighton (32), Newcastle (33) and Norwich (34).

Forest did win on their last visit to Fulham, with Henri Lansbury netting twice amid a 3-1 success.

But this will be a very different looking Reds side, with Ben Osborn and Danny Fox the only players who were in the starting line-up in April last year, who have a chance of kicking off the game again on Tuesday night.

If Forest are to register what would be only a third away win of the current campaign – and only Rotherham have a worse record on the road – Gary Brazil's fortunes are likely to rest, in part at least, on the shoulders of a man who will be a familiar face in this part of London.

Ross McCormack netted 38 goals in 88 starts and a single sub appearances in the league for Fulham, prior to his £12m summer switch to Aston Villa.

The move to the West Midlands may not have gone smoothly for the 30-year-old, leading to his loan switch to Forest – but he has already demonstrated his intent to prove himself, with the beautifully taken goal he notched after coming off the bench against Norwich.

His goal was a rare positive amid a difficult afternoon for the Reds, who have struggled for goals on the road in recent weeks – with his clever chip the only time they have managed to find the back of the net in their last four away games, if you include the FA Cup flop at Wigan.

But if McCormack can add to the firepower provided by Britt Assombalonga, Fulham are not entirely invulnerable at the back. They have conceded 20 goals at Craven Cottage this season and there would be a certain poetry to McCormack firing Forest back to winning ways, on familiar territory.

Team news: Stephen Henderson will miss the rest of the season – and possibly longer – with the Achilles injury he sustained at Carrow Road. Vladimir Stojkovic is fit and available however, leaving Gary Brazil with a few options.

Jordan Smith let nobody down with his assured performance after coming off the bench to replace Henderson. But the Reds are more likely to turn to the experienced Serbian international.

Dimi Evtimov is back at Forest following his loan spell in Portugal, but is currently carrying a slight knock.

Eric Lichaj is suspended following his controversial sending off, leaving Forest with a void at right back. Both Matt Mills (groin) and Michael Mancienne (hamstring) do have a good chance of returning from injury to take on that role, however.

Nicklas Bendtner has sustained a minor hamstring problem in training and will join Chris Cohen (groin), Armand Traore (knee) and Matt Fryatt (Achilles) among those sidelined.

Given the manner in which Norwich's forward line found it so easy to pick holes in the Forest back four on Saturday, Martin is likely to be licking his lips at the prospect of facing the Reds.

Forest will hope Michael Mancienne shakes off a slight injury problem to resume his defensive midfield role, adding a little solidity in front of the back four.

But, whether Mancienne returns or not, it will be down to Hobbs – the one member of the back four who played reasonably well against the Canaries – to ensure Martin does not have the room in which to inflict the kind of damage he is capable of.

Last time they met: Nottingham Forest 1, Fulham 1, City Ground, Tuesday September 27, 2016: Nicklas Bendtner netted his first goal for the Reds – but it was only enough to help Philippe Montanier's side secure a point.

Bendtner had already hit the bar with a 25-yard strike, before he volleyed the home side into the lead on the hour mark.

Their advantage lasted only 12 minutes however, before Tom Cairney netted from close range, as the Forest defence failed to clear.

It was Chris Martin who came closest to winning the game, with the big striker forcing a smart save from Vladimir Stojkovic.

But Forest boss Montanier felt the scoreline could easily have been much bigger.

"It was a tough and physical game and it could easily have ended 3-3. There were plenty of opportunities for both teams and it was played at a high tempo. It was important for us to have a decent result after three defeats to end this bad period," said Montanier.

Read more at http://www.nottinghampost.com/can-mccormack-fire-forest-back-to-form-in-familiar-fulham-surroundings/story-30132216-detail/story.html#t4VhWcUlrgws66PU.99

WhiteJC

From Chandi Chowk to Craven Cottage – Tanvie Hans, a flag bearer for Indian football
Tanvie Hans talks football, Delhi University, England and the IWL.

Tanvie Hans

Tanvie Hans, just 26 years, has done more than a lot of others her age. She has played for London giants, Fulham and Tottenham during her time at the top flight in England. A right footed winger by trade, she likes cutting in from the left, "I have a bit of speed on me", she tells me, "I use that to go down the line, or cut in and put a nice through ball, or get a shot on goal".Having played for three years in the top flight she signed for Pune City FC, to play in the Indian Women's League. But, unfortunately for the talented winger, only Indians were allowed in the League this year (she carries a British Passport)."I trained with the team in Pune, but I can't play in the League as my passport issues didn't get resolved in time for the finals. I was hoping I could play the last game, but that didn't happen", she says with more than a hint of disappointment in her voice.

Humble beginnings
Born in Punjab, Tanvie grew up in Delhi. She was born in a family who loved sports, but mostly cricket. Given the popularity of the game, how did she get introduced to football?  "I have always been like a sporty person, and with my elder brother being the sports fanatic he is, I picked up most of the sports from him. I think it was around seven that I got introduced to football. During school, I used to play with the boys, and eventually, our school formed a girls team which actually happened to be the first girl's football school team in Delhi (Vasant Valley)"."So, I was kind of lucky at that front. With the girls, I started playing competitive football when I was eleven or twelve years old. Since we were the first girl's team, I got to play for Delhi, and then I played for my high school, I just continued paying".She feels a "connection" with football that she didn't with any other sport, and hence she continued. 

Going Professional
After completing her school, Tanvie joined Jesus and Mary College who were known for their women's football team. She also joined the local team, Delhi Eves Football club during the time, as she continued playing her football through college."I continued playing in college, in fact I don't even remember going to class", she says with a cheeky smile. "I got to captain my college team, and I used to play for a local team Delhi Eves Football.  Chibbar sir was my coach, and I captained the club team too before I went to London.""I basically played wherever I could, and then I went for my Masters to London", she says. Tanvie went for Masters in Management to the University of Exeter in South West England, where for the first time, she got a taste of top level football."That was the first time I got introduced to the level of football in the UK, as I played for my University team. That is when I decided, as the standard of football being much better, and I knew that no matter how good I was, as I didn't have an Indian passport they wouldn't let me play for the country."Tanvie came back to India after she completed her Masters where she though about her next step forward. "After my Masters, I came back to India. I trained here for a few months, and then made the decision to go back to London to try for a few clubs", and that is how she got selected for Fulham Ladies, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Behind every successful athlete, there's a supportive family
A lot of Tanvie's passion for the game resonates from her family, who has supported her throughout her pursuit of her career "I am very fortunate to have a family who has supported me through every step. Growing up, as I said, I was a very sporty person so my family kind of saw me going in the direction."But all wasn't rosy, "I've obviously heard the occasional 'Tanvie why can't you be just like a regular Indian girl', or 'this is such a weird career choice', but apart from that, I've been very lucky", she said.

Experience of playing in England
For an Indian, playing in Europe is a big dream. Playing in clubs who are household names is even bigger. She spoke very fondly of her time in London. "In England, the League is for ten months (eight months is the season, two months pre-season). So basically, in three years, I got to play thirty months, which is a lot. And I loved it", she said."The games are normally on Sundays, even during pre-season. Even on that level, there is not a lot of money in football, and people have a day job, and they come for training in the evenings. Bu, it still works for most of us, as you're pursuing your passion.""The training sessions were advanced and very different. We used to get the fixtures for the whole year in the beginning of the season so that we know who we are facing. The coaches used to give us all the tactical information on the teams we are facing the following week, every training we used to have was done with the game on Sunday kept in mind.""As far as diet and other things are concerned, they used to leave that to us. There, by the time you're 16, you are an adult and you are responsible for yourself. Obviously, we could ask experts about whatever those questions were.""If you didn't take care of yourself, it would show on the field, and you would get benched. I was very happy, especially with how well structured it was. I was very happy."

Coaching badge
But, playing for Fulham and Tottenham wasn't the only thing Tanvie did in England, she managed to get FA Level 1 license, something she plans to use, "When I was playing for Fulham they had this option of getting coaching badges done, so I took that up and completed FA Level 1. The idea that I had in mind is to improve myself. I wanted to learn as much as possible, and then bring it back to India, that is why I went to England.""Even if the Women's League in India expanded, it wouldn't be all throughout the year. You need another source of income, and hence the badges."

Massive lack of opportunities in India
Indian women's football has been a grey area for so long, there hasn't been a League in India since the start of this season's IWL. But, unfortunately for the players, the League is only for a month.The Indian national team, despite its 54th rank in the world, women's football hasn't been invested upon before. There are no Leagues, and hence Indians who take the sport seriously have had to look at countries like Maldives for getting regular game time. Something, than Tanvie reiterates."When I went to London to play, one of the biggest loopholes I thought was of India not having a League. In England, the League actually runs for 10 months, starting the League is definitely the first step and I do hope in the future that all the ISL teams invest in a team", she said.With the IWL matches being broadcasted on the Indian Football Team's official Facebook web page, Tanive adds that she wished the sport got more air time on probably a more popular media source, "I just wish it was done sooner and more professionally with better broadcast"."There is a massive lack of opportunities since I have been back from London, I am looking for a place to play regularly.  It is such a disappointment to people who want to pursue their sport seriously, I have evaluated my options and might have to move to the East to play regularly (Manipur has a women's League)"."You always have to look outside India, or if you're in India, you have to shift your city to have an option to play on a regular basis. The ideal situation is that every corner of India there is an option at the least, which isn't the case here.""Delhi is the capital city, and there are no opportunities for me here. That is why I went abroad to play. I am glad they took the first step and decided to introduce a League, but this too is about a month long and if you're not in the National Team you end up not playing lot."

What next?
"In my future, I see India. When I went to London, I wanted to get better, and grow as a player. That is the reason, I came back. A lot of people have questioned my decision, and even my family members have.""But, personally I couldn't be sure of my decision. I want another shot and would love to play for the national team. I see myself on the field till I retire, and probably work behind the scenes as well" she said, pledging her bright future to India.Not a staunch supporter of a football team, on pushing her, she gave a very diplomatic answer, "Well, I have been an admirer of Barcelona due to the style of play. But, I have a soft spot for Liverpool. I don't religiously follow any club as growing up my family was more cricket crazy, than football loving."A woman who has paved the path for others, a trailblazer and a true inspiration to a generation. We wish her the best.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/from-chandi-chowk-to-craven-cottage-tanvie-hans-a-flag-bearer-for-indian-football?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=sportskeeda

WhiteJC

Denis Odoi and Neeskens Kebano pushing for Fulham starts against Forest

Fulham defender Denis Odoi will likely deputise for the suspended Ryan Fredericks when Nottingham Forest visit Craven Cottage.

Odoi replaced the right-back and scored during their 3-2 win over Wigan, with Fredericks set to serve the second match of his three-game ban. Centre-back Tomas Kalas will be assessed after missing Saturday's win with a hip problem. Neeskens Kebano, who came off the bench to score the winner last weekend, is pushing for a start. Forest have been dealt an injury blow with the news that goalkeeper Stephen Henderson has undergone Achilles surgery and will miss the rest of the season. Henderson had to be carried off on a stretcher midway through the first half of the defeat at Norwich on Saturday, suffering the injury attempting to keep out the Canaries' third goal. Vladimir Stojkovic is likely to replace the Irishman but Reds boss Gary Brazil also has youngsters Dimitar Evtimov and Jordan Smith available. Full-back Eric Lichaj is suspended after his red card at Carrow Road but fellow defenders Michael Mancienne and Matt Mills (groin) are close to returning. Mancienne trained on Monday after a slight injury ruled him out at the weekend and he will be assessed.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/denis-odoi-and-neeskens-kebano-pushing-for-fulham-starts-aga-1841663.html

WhiteJC

Time to address our away struggles, warns Brazil as Nottingham Forest head to Fulham

After notching up three consecutive home wins, Gary Brazil says it is now time for Nottingham Forest to address their struggle for points away from the City Ground when they head to Fulham.

The Reds are reasonably strong on home turf, where they have collected 27 of their 36 Championship points this season.

But their record on the road – which has seen them collect two wins, three draws and 11 defeats – is the second worst in the division, with only Rotherham United having collected fewer points, from a solitary draw.

Forest put in a decent performance in their first away game under Brazil and Jack Lester in Leeds, even amid a narrow defeat – but were well beaten in Norwich last weekend.

Brazil has demanded a reaction from his players to that nightmare afternoon at Carrow Road – but he also recognises the importance of addressing their away form, rather than just relying on points collected at the City Ground.

"It is something that we need to improve, we are all aware of that. But it will be a collective effort, if we are going to start picking up more points away," said Brazil, who has overseen wins over Rotherham, Bristol City and Aston Villa on the banks of the Trent.

"We cannot just rely on our home form, to get us points. We are becoming really effective at home now, but we need to back that up with away performances as well.

"I don't sense that it is a mental issue with the group, no. I don't sense that.

"I know how good our home form is and I am really pleased that we have won those three games we have been in charge for. We just need to start collecting more points away from home."

The difficult question, of course, is why Forest do look solid at home but continue to struggle for victories outside of Nottingham, with their only successes coming at Barnsley and Ipswich – within the space of a few days in November.

"At this moment in time, I cannot give you a definitive answer to that," said Brazil.

"What I can tell you is that in the two away games we have been in charge, I thought we were competitive at Leeds. It was a set-piece and a world class goal that hurt us – I was pleased with the performance there.

"At Norwich, we got hurt by some quality finishing. I did not think there was a four-goal difference in quality between the two sides.

"It is an experience we will learn from. In failure, you can sometimes find out a bit more about yourself. I expect a really strong reaction to what happened."

One of few positives against Norwich was the sight of Ross McCormack coming off the bench to net a well-taken goal for the Reds.

And, as Forest prepare to go to a club that means a great deal to both McCormack and Brazil, the manager says the forward is very much in contention for a place in the starting line-up.

"Ross is an option, along with a few others. He did not do himself any harm on Saturday, when he showed the quality he has got," said Brazil. "His finish and the move to create our goal were both very good. He showed that little bit of quality. He will be in contention for a place tomorrow and beyond.

"Ross scores goals at Championship level. He has proved that again and again. He would score goals in the Premier League as well, if he was playing at that level.

"He is a top class striker and we are very pleased to have him.

"I do not see a player without confidence. He is a top class player and since he has been here he has worked hard; he has shown his quality.

"He gave us another dimension (at Norwich) and he looked a threat. That is really encouraging for us as a team, moving forward. We do have options now."

Read more at http://www.nottinghampost.com/time-to-address-our-away-struggles-warns-brazil-as-nottingham-forest-head-to-fulham/story-30133206-detail/story.html#6Y2TCLlMWcFkXqyE.99

WhiteJC

No divided loyalties for Nottingham Forest manager Gary Brazil as he makes Fulham return

Nottingham Forest manager and former Fulham striker Gary Brazil previews Tuesday night's trip to his old club with Paul Taylor.

For more than five years, Gary Brazil plied his trade at Craven Cottage as a clever front man, often finishing as top scorer, as the club fought to escape the clutches of the lower divisions; it is a place that holds fond memories for him.

But, while he played 214 times for Fulham, scoring 47 goals, there will be no divided loyalties for him on his return to the capital.

Brazil does hope to forge more positive memories at the Cottage – but in the form of a Nottingham Forest win.

The management duo of Brazil and Jack Lester have won all three of their games at the City Ground so far. But, following defeats at Leeds and Norwich, that first away win remains elusive.

And Brazil is hopeful that will no longer be the case come the final whistle in London.

"I have good memories of the club but tomorrow is very different – this is work," said Brazil, who also had a spell working with the Fulham academy. "I have a lot of friends down there, a lot of people who I have a lot of time for. But this is work.

"I enjoyed going down there last season, when I was helping out Paul Williams, and winning the game.

"It did not feel like any less of a win because it was against them and it will feel very good again, when we get a win there this time."

Forest will head south in determined mood, looking to address what was by far their worst performance since Brazil took charge.

But, while he concedes the fixture will pose another tough challenge, the Reds boss also believes there is reason for optimism.

"They are a side that likes to play; that likes to get the ball down and play – and they have had the same system that they use for a while now," said Brazil. "They have been very good at home and it is a good challenge for us – but we look forward to it.

"They want to pass the ball, they push their full backs on, they have good movement in midfield and they have good rotation with the three players who are likely to play off Chris Martin, if he plays.

"They are a good side at home but from our point of view, aside from Saturday, I have been really pleased with the way we have played. We need to pick it up again, against Fulham.

"In open play we could have been brighter and sharper. We just gave Norwich the extra yard of room that we had not been giving to opposition sides. We will get back on that again.

"Saturday happened, it hurt – we will not deny that. But the character of the team is strong and we expect a response.

"We have to be prepared; we have to be ready to win a few more duels than we did on Saturday. We have to be competitive and we have to cause them problems. We have to ask questions of them, because I am not sure how well they can defend.

"They do really commit men forward when they attack, they get their full backs high up the pitch and they press high.

"They do commit to attacking teams – and they will leave themselves vulnerable on the counter attack. That is something we have looked at over the last few days; that is something we might be able to exploit."

Brazil does not make any bones out of the fact that Forest must produce a positive response following a difficult afternoon at Carrow Road.

But he revealed that they could also be boosted by the return of both Michael Mancienne and Matt Mills from injury.

"The first few games we have been in charge have been pleasing. I did not promise that we would win every game, but I did say that we would be competitive," he said. "That was the first time when I felt we had not been as competitive as I would like us to be.

"We need to pick that up straight away. There is not much between teams in this league, but if you do not get that right, you are asking for trouble. We will sort that out.

"Eric's sending off was disappointing, because anyone who was there could see that there was no contact. So it is disappointing to lose him like that, for the game.

"We do have options and we will look at who fits into a back four.

"A lot of positions on the pitch have really good cover. Right back is one area where we do not have such good cover. We will have a look at our options.

"Michael Mancienne is nearly there. He has been training and we have to see if he has a reaction to that.

"Both he and Matt Mills are very, very close. We will train in the morning and we will take a careful look at them to see if they can be involved."

Brazil does not regard on loan Benfica man Hildeberto Pereira as a viable option at right back.

The 20-year-old was signed in the summer to bolster the back four – but Brazil believes his explosive talents are likely to lead to him playing a more advanced role as his career progresses.

"I probably see Hildeberto as somebody who can play in front of the full back, rather than in the back four," said Brazil. "He can hurt the opposition full back, more than play as one himself. I don't think the defensive side of the game is his strongest asset.

"But he can very much hurt the opposition full back. I would not see him as a right full back, but there are other areas of the pitch where he can be productive.

"Had we managed to get (Ipswich defender) Luke Chambers, it would have helped in this situation. But I would also say that we did do very well in the transfer window.

"We were very pleased with the work we did. That was probably the only disappointment.

"But we do have a big squad and we do have the players who can do a job in this situation."

With £12m front man Ross McCormack also returning to face his former club, Brazil will hope that a few familiar faces can ensure a miserable night for their hosts.

Read more at http://www.nottinghampost.com/no-divided-loyalties-for-gary-brazil-as-he-makes-fulham-return/story-30133274-detail/story.html#dmXIF98Mx9uVXVlk.99

WhiteJC

Kebano thrilled by first Fulham goal
by DAN on FEBRUARY 13, 2017

Neeskens Kebano was delighted to end his 'long, long wait' for his first Fulham goal after he notched the injury-time winner against Wigan Athletic on Saturday.

The Congolese winger, introduced as a second half substitute by Slavisa Jokanovic with Fulham 2-1 down to the Latics at Craven Cottage, produced the perfect finish to guide home Tom Cairney's precise pass in the final seconds of stoppage time and keep the Whites' Championship play-off hopes alive. Kebano, just back from African Cup of Nations duty with his country, had previously made twelve appearances for the Cottagers without finding the net.

Speaking after the final whistle to FulhamFCTV, the 24 year-old shared the sense of relief in the home dressing room after coming from behind to win a topsy-turvy encounter:

They are very, very happy because it was a tough game. We played to the end and we put all we could put into this game. I think we made this game hard for ourselves because we did some mistakes and we concede some goals that we could avoid, but the most important thing is to win that game – so we are happy.

It was my first goal so, first of all, I am very, very happy with my first goal because I was waiting for a long time to score even one goal. I thought that I would score maybe before, but I don't know how many games have already been played and I have had to wait a long time to score my first goal and tonight I'm happy.

Kebano was mobbed by his Fulham team-mates after his composure at the crucial moment salvaged all three points for the home side and admitted his joyous celebrations underlined just how together the whole team is.

Of course. I'm sure that all of my team-mates were very happy for me because I was waiting for a long time and they showed to me that they like me and we are very, very close to each other so we are very happy and we just go forward with the same spirit.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/02/kebano-thrilled-by-first-fulham-goal/

WhiteJC

Fulham must not sit back and expect a result against Nottingham Forest, Odoi insists
The Whites right-back scored a stunning goal to equalise against Wigan on Saturday

Did you see that? Denis Odoi scores from 35 yards

Fulham's goalscoring defender Denis Odoi has warned his team-mates that they cannot afford to sit back and expect a result when they face Nottingham Forest on Tuesday night.

The Whites right-back scored a stunning goal to equalise against Wigan on Saturday, before Neeskens Kebano scored his first for the club deep into injury time to seal all three points for the hosts.

And although the 28-year-old admits that the win was a pivotal boost, he added Slavisa Jokanovic's men cannot afford to rely on momentum to get them the points against Forest.

"Obviously it's a morale booster (getting the late winner)," he said. "We are happy with it, but the next game is Tuesday.

"It is a very important game if we want to stay in the running for a play off place.

Head over heels: Denis Odoi

Wigan were one of a number of sides which set up at Craven Cottage to hit the hosts on the break this season, which looked to be particularly effective when the visitors were leading 2-1.

And although Fulham have won many plaudits for their attractive football this season, Odoi admits that it is up to them to deal with counter-attacking sides, starting against Forest.

He added: "It is frustrating, but it's our own fault - teams know we play, we know how they're going to play.

"We need to be prepared for that. We know they're going to try it on the counter attack, we need to be focused, especially in defence. We need to be prepared for those things.

"We make 35 passes to create a chance while the opposite team just kicks it long and they have a chance. That's not the way it's supposed to be.

"That's something we need to keep in mind for Tuesday. Our football, that's the way we play, is always more or less good."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-must-not-sit-back-12599833

WhiteJC

Gary Brazil says Forest star unavailable for Fulham clash, two doubtful, gives McCormack update

Gary Brazil has confirmed that Nottingham Forest goalkeeper Stephen Henderson is facing a spell on sidelines as he is having an operation on his Achilles and will not play against Fulham on Tuesday night.

The shot-stopper had been performing well for the Reds since replacing Vladimir Stojkovic between the sticks at the start of January.

"Obviously Stephen is a really big loss to us. To lose a goalkeeper that was in that form is a big disappointment," Brazil told The Nottingham Post.

"The players that were playing in front of him have really grown to trust him which is key as well so that's disappointing, but we've got Vlad and Jordan and we've got Dimitar who would really love to pick the shirt up and carry on while Stephen is unfortunately going to be out and it's an opportunity for them."

The caretaker manager also said that new loanee striker Ross McCormack is in contention for a starting place after coming on and scoring Forest's consolation goal in the game against the Canaries.

"Ross is a top class player. Since he's come here he's worked really really hard and he's shown quality," the coach explained.

"When he got on the pitch on Saturday he showed us that quality again and gave us another dimension and he looked a threat which is really encouraging for us as a team.

"Now we choose to use him going forward and we have a number of options there."

Defenders Michael Mancienne and Matt Mills have both trained with the side this week and will make the trip to London with the team, but their involvement in the game will depend on an assessment on the day.

Forest go into the game after being thrashed 5-1 by playoff hopefuls Norwich away at Carrow Road last weekend and will be hoping for a better result at Craven Cottage.

The Reds are currently 17th in the Championship, with just 10 wins out of 31 league games so far this season.

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/gary-brazil-forest-unavailable-fulham-clash-two-doubtful-mccormack-update/

WhiteJC

Fulham without duo for Forest clash

Fulham will be without two members of their squad for Nottingham Forest's trip to Craven Cottage on Tuesday night, according to BBC Sport.

Ryan Fredericks is still suspended as he serves the second match of his three-game ban.

As well as this, Tomas Kalas will have an assessment to check if he's match-fit after the 23-year-old missed Saturday's 3-2 home win over Wigan Athletic with a hip problem.

Denis Odoi is likely to deputise at right-back having played and scored on the weekend.

Neeskens Kebano will be pushing for a start after he got the 94th minute winner against the Latics.

The Whites are currently positioned ninth in the Championship, six points behind Sheffield Wednesday who occupy the last play-off place.

Forest are sat 17th in the league table. They have a seven point cushion between themselves and Blackburn Rovers who are in 22nd.

Forest were thumped 5-1 at the weekend away to Norwich City and certainly won't be looking for a repeat of that result.

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/fulham-without-duo-forest-clash/

WhiteJC

Brazil Looking For Fulham Response

Manager Gary Brazil has said he's confident of seeing a response from the Nottingham Forest players when we face Fulham later this evening.

Having lost five one to Norwich City at the weekend at Carrow Road, Forest head later this evening to Craven Cottage to face off against Fulham, and speaking to the Official Forest Site in his pre game press conference, Brazil was expecting a response to the last result.

Calling on the side to show character as they go in search of the win, he explained.

'From our point of view it had been good news so far, then Saturday was a bit of a thunderbolt. We didn`t play at the level we can do but we played against top-class opposition who hurt us with their finishing. But that is what you build success on; failures sort us out as a group, sort out our character and you will see what we are about tomorrow night. We expect a strong response and we are looking forward to the game.'

Turning thoughts to our hosts, he went on to add.

'Fulham want to play and want to get it down. They have a system they like to play and they are good at home so it is a good challenge for us. They are a team that want to get the ball down and pass. They send their full backs on high and split their centre halves to develop the play from the back and have good movement in midfield. They have a good record at home and will keep going until the last whistle. We have got to be prepared to match them up, win more duels than we did on Saturday and cause them problems in their defensive half.'

With only two league wins away from home so far this season, Brazil is more than aware that Forest have struggled on their travels and it is something he's looking for significant improvement in between now and the end of the campaign - and on that front he doesn't feel the group have a fear of away trips judging as best he can.

'I don`t sense it is a problem with the group and I have only been involved with them for a short period of time. I know how good our home form is and I am really pleased that the three home games we have been in charge of we have won. It is something that we need to improve and it will be a collective effort to start ensuring we get some points away from home. We can`t just rely on our home form to get some points and because we are becoming effective at home we need to back it up with away performances.'

Adding.

'We have had two games away so far. At Leeds I thought we were competitive and a set piece and a worldy at Elland Road hurt us and I was pleased with the performance. On Saturday we got hurt by some quality finishing and I didn`t think the difference between the sides was four goals. It is an experience we will learn from and a bit of failure doesn`t hurt you because you find more about yourselves as a group and I expect a strong reaction tomorrow.'

With the injury to goalkeeper Stephen Henderson in the last one, Brazil confirmed his Achilles injury would likely keep him out for the remainder of the campaign and he was set for surgery on Monday.

'It`s not good news unfortunately. He has had a scan this morning and there is a problem with his Achilles that is being operated on today. It looks like we have probably lost him for the rest of the season and that is really disappointing considering how well he has played over the last few weeks and how important he has been for us. The rehab will start straight away and he is in really good hands but we still have Vlad who has played a lot this season so we are lucky to have such a strong back-up. We have two young goalkeepers in Jordan Smith and Dimitar Evtimov who are keen to get a game so we have good competition for that role. As much as we are going to miss Stephen it gives the others an opportunity. There are three keepers who will fight for the place and whoever gets it tomorrow will be in charge of the situation and has the chance to keep the shirt.'

Read more: http://www.forest.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=577943#ixzz4Yeja7nSf

WhiteJC

Match preview: Fulham (A)

Nottingham Forest travel to Craven Cottage to take on Fulham in the Sky Bet Championship on Tuesday 14 February (kick-off 7.45pm).

Saturday's defeat against Norwich was a blow for Gary Brazil's side after a strong run of results. The 5-1 defeat proved to be a reminder of how far Forest have to go to improve and climb up the table, but it was just the second defeat in the last six games and Brazil will be hoping to rekindle that loving feeling on Valentine's Day against Fulham.

The Cottagers are in the chasing pack of teams behind the play-off spots and will be hoping to add some consistency to their game to be in with a shout of the top six come May. Slavisa Jokanovic's side pulled off a late comeback to beat Wigan 3-2 on Saturday and they will be hoping for similarly good character on Tuesday night.

Eric Lichaj will miss the trip to West London after being sent off in the defeat against Norwich on Saturday, while Stephen Henderson will miss the rest of the season after picking up a serious-looking Achilles injury. Vladimir Stojkovic, Jordan Smith and Dimitar Evtimov are battling to deputise in goal and Ross McCormack will be pushing for a starting berth after his goalscoring debut from the bench. Michael Mancienne will also be targeting a timely return to the side after missing the trip to Norwich through injury.

With Ryan Fredericks serving the second of a three-game ban following his red card against Birmingham, Dennis Odoi is likely to deputise again at right back after scoring the equaliser against Wigan on Saturday and Tomas Kalas is also a doubt with a hip injury.

Nottingham Forest

Birmingham (A) - Drew 0-0
Bristol City (H) - Won 1-0
Leeds (A) - Lost 2-0
Rotherham (H) - Won 2-0
Aston Villa (H) - Won 2-1
Norwich (A) - Lost 5-1

Fulham

QPR (A) - Drew 1-1
Reading (A) - Lost 1-0
Hull (H - FA Cup) - Won 4-1
Burton (A) - Won 2-0
Birmingham (A) - Lost 1-0
Wigan (H) - Won 3-2

Read more at http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/nottingham-forest-fulham-match-preview-3571675.aspx#g3MB3J78z6U00uTr.99

WhiteJC

Williams double keeps Fulham on top

Striker's first-half brace wins derby against AFC Wimbledon

George Williams' first-half double earned Fulham a 2-0 victory over AFC Wimbledon and put them on the brink of the knockout stages.

The Wales international touched in the opener in the third minute and doubled the lead just before the half-hour mark, putting Fulham two points clear of Charlton Athletic at the top of Group F.

Fulham are three ahead of third-placed Middlesbrough, who need to win their final group match and hope the Cottagers lose both of their remaining fixtures to edge them out of the two qualification spots.

Fulham's next tie is at home to Charlton Athletic at Motspur Park on the evening of Friday 24 February, but they are back in action next Monday when they play West Ham United at London Stadium in Premier League 2.

AFC Wimbledon still have three group matches to play, with the next away to Middlesbrough at Darlington Arena on Sunday 27 February.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/332678