watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Signing of the Season?

Started by Ron91, February 16, 2017, 01:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopper

Helder Costa looks a great player, performance against Liverpool was top class.

People also raving about Leeds' CB, forgot the name

FPT

There's a number of names in the reckoning. Pontus Jansson has been a revelation at Leeds, initially a loan, but they (like us and Kalas) look a lot worse defensively without him.

I think Shane Duffy was a very good buy for Brighton, a reliable centre half at this level and just gives them that extra stable core in the middle of defence. £5m is pricy, but he gave them that bit more defensively that they needed to fuel this automatic promotion push. Staying on Brighton, Glenn Murray has shown there's life in the old dog yet and when you've got Rickie Lambert doing absolutely nothing at Cardiff, Murray has shown himself to be a reliable option, another one that was initially a loan.

Here; Sone Aluko on a free is a great deal. Stefan Johansen for £2.5m is a snip and very good value. Floyd Ayite for a shade under £2m will prove to be an excellent signing. Kevin McDonald has been our comfort blanket in midfield since joining for a little over £1m. Scott Malone has been very good - and we paid nothing for him whilst getting rid of an awful full back - then there's the two Chelsea loanees. Not bad considering many like to say we had an awful window or our scouting/stats system is nonsense.

Izzy Brown at Huddersfield is a better loan than Tammy Abraham. Brown is rejuvenating Huddersfield to continue their quest for promotion whilst Abraham's goal tally and game winning impact is diminishing. Elias Kachunga has done very well playing out of position as a wide player but still making a goal scoring impact. Aaron Mooy, on loan, will be in with a shout during team of the season discussions come the end of the season.

Dwight Gayle was expensive, but Newcastle got what they paid for, he's the best striker in the division and clearly belongs in a league above. If he fires them to the title, it's value for money. The same logic some tried to use for McCormack "if he scores us to promotion, then it's nothing" except this may actually work for Newcastle. Staying at Newcastle, Isaac Hayden has been brilliant on a free transfer. Very impressive defensive midfielder who I think can carry over into the Premier League.

Liam Moore deserves a shout out, been excellent since going to Reading. John Swift on a free; I said at the time that's a phenomenal signing, he's one Reading will make big, big profit on, it won't take him long to become one of the leading midfielders in the division.

Those are all just the top of my head. It does depend on your criteria at the end of the end of the day, but with Fulham currently still a way outside of the play off positions; I'm not sure any of ours can merit a spot ahead of a Mooy, Moore, Murray or Jansson.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

F(f)CUK

From a Fulham viewpoint, permanent signing of the season for me would be Johansson, followed by McDonald, then Malone and then Aluko.  The midfield three of Johansson, McDonald and Cairney are the reason that we are playing with our current style and flair.

bencher

Obviously not a signing of this season, but I don't think we appreciated how good a player we acquired when we bought Cairney in the summer before last season (under Kit!). When I think of the midfielders we'd had for the two seasons previous, he has taken us to a completely new level. We'd all better enjoy the next few  months of watching him because I think, like in 2012 with Dembele, he's sure to move on bigger and better soon enough.

simplyfulham

Best loans have to be Tammy Abraham and Pontus Jansson. Jansson has helped transform a suffering Leeds side.

As far as best signing, it has to be Dwight Gayle although second place is harder to pick.
It's probably one out of Matt Ritchie, Stefan Johansen, Glen Murray or John Swift.

twang

Pontus Jansson to Leeds is definitely the best signing in the league IMHO. Totally dominant at this level and Leeds always seem to drop points when he is missing.

hovewhite

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on February 16, 2017, 10:58:55 AM
Johansen is our best signing. People are blinded by the deal itself when rating Malone. He is a midtable championship fullback capable of a great game or a terrible one. But he seems to be a worldy because we pulled Cardiffs pants down doing a straight swap for Jazz.

As much as I love Aluko it is thanks to players like Johansen that his lack of finishing isn't a major issue. With Joh you get the lot. Energy, technique, vision, tackling, eye for goal. Very hard to come by for 1.5million.

In terms of the divisions best signing, again Johansen is up there. Kalas is up there for the loan. Other than that it's got to be a Huddersfield player I'd imagine.

Loan signing- maybe the lad at Leeds from Swansea? He's a good little creative player.

How much did Nelson Oliveira cost Norwich? Every time I see a Norwich goal he seems to be involved.
My opinion malone.

Mullers OG

Just dealing with FFC - 1/ Johanson  2/ loan for Kalas  3/McDonald 4/ Malone  5/ Ayite  6/ Kebano. 7/ Aluko

CottagersOnTour

One of my mates is a big H'sfield fan and reckons Aaron Mooy has been a revelation for them...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Mooy#Huddersfield_Town

Transferred via the City Football Group to Manchester he was loaned out 5 days later; was the best player in the A-League by far for the last few years when I was living out in Sydney.

Carborundum

Quote from: Mullers OG on February 16, 2017, 06:43:33 PM
Just dealing with FFC - 1/ Johanson  2/ loan for Kalas  3/McDonald 4/ Malone  5/ Ayite  6/ Kebano. 7/ Aluko
You know, whilst one can debate the order and I wouldn't have Aluko 7th, one of those players is our 7th best signing.  Presumably Button 8th and he's done alright recently.   Odoi 9th with his 35 yard sizzler.  For all the talk of signing-by-stats, the thread on Sigurdsson and the Jozebed episode, I'm wondering "Where did it all go so right?"

Horsfield_No9

Johansen & Mcdonald tight but Johansen edging it. Malone easy 3rd.

I LOVE that this is even a debate this year, how refreshing!
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Woolly Mammoth

If Jok signs a new deal and extends his contract, that will be the signing of the season.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Snibbo

Quote from: Carborundum on February 17, 2017, 06:03:34 PM
Quote from: Mullers OG on February 16, 2017, 06:43:33 PM
You know, whilst one can debate the order and I wouldn't have Aluko 7th, one of those players is our 7th best signing.  Presumably Button 8th and he's done alright recently.   Odoi 9th with his 35 yard sizzler.  For all the talk of signing-by-stats, the thread on Sigurdsson and the Jozebed episode, I'm wondering "Where did it all go so right?"
Exactly.  After a number of utter disasters,  the club made several very decent signings

filham

Quote from: Twig on February 16, 2017, 07:49:30 AM
Quote from: Snibbo on February 16, 2017, 06:15:54 AM
Dwight Gayle?

Hasn't Abraham gone off the boil since a lightning start. And he now has what might be a serious injury, and got caught last week driving unlicenced.

Aluko and Kalas certainly great signings. Johansen too. McDonald pretty damn good.

Abraham, 21 goals season to date is pretty damned good.

Just imagine how good we would be looking had we signed Abraham, those 21 goals would have put us in the top six and made Abraham our top signing.
Of course with our mid field behind him he may well have scored more than 21 by now.

Holders

Jokanovic if what is reported is true.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria