more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (17/02/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 17, 2017, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

FA Cup: Fulham v Tottenham – Whites defender says Sunday will be 'fun'
Right-back looking forward to meeting up with old pals from the Belgium set-up in the fifth round

Fulham face the mighty Spurs on Sunday – but Denis Odoi thinks it will be nothing more than a 'fun' occasion.

The Belgian right-back and his mates face the stiffest FA Cup challenge so far, although the last time the two sides met in the famous old trophy, Whites thumped the north London variety 4-0 in 2011.

Odoi will also run into another set of pals: those from the national Belgium set-up he's partnered in the past.

Chances are Mousa Dembele, he of the Tottenham type, rather than the Celtic forward and a former White as well, could feature along with defender Toby Alderweireld.

"It will be a fun game for everyone but also for me - some Belgian players play at Tottenham," he said. "It's always good to see those guys. It'll be a nice game, especially at home.

Head over heels: Denis Odoi

"I play with them in the national team, I know them from back in the days. We will see.

"I don't know if they're going to play, but it's a nice game."

Odoi and co face the Premier League high fliers off the back of two 3-2 home wins this week.

They had to come from behind in both cases against Wigan and Nottingham Forest on Tuesday night, results that will turn boss Slavisa Jokanovic's beard appropriately white if there are many more repeats.

For the second time, the Fulham gaffer made plain his ire at sloppy defending.

FA Cup memory: Brede Hangeland (R) scores against Spurs in January 2011

"We didn't play a brilliant game against Forest, but at the end after a very soft start to the game where we found some problems, we overcame this situation to win," he rapped.

"These last two games at home we conceded four goals. Both teams put us in stressful situations without pushing us in the box to defend.

"We made mistakes and after this kind of situation it's not easy for us.

"We need to do better in this kind of situation. I have to be happy with the last 10 minutes when they pushed and took the risk and sent on many strikers in the pitch. We were solid and strong enough to survive this."

Pen pal: Captain Danny Murphy (L) celebrates scoring his second spot-kick against Tottenham in January 2011

He added: "We changed our tactic after 20-something minutes because it was very clear our plan didn't work at the beginning. We weren't good enough."

And that 2011 win over Spurs?

A brace of penalties from Danny Murphy, and one each from Brede Hangeland and the aforementioned Dembele before his £15 transfer to Tottenham in August 2012, more than did the job.

Bookies are offering 28/1 for the same result on Sunday.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fa-cup-fulham-v-tottenham-12612638

WhiteJC

Betting: Fulham to win derby against well-travelled Spurs

Fulham are on a great run of form, with four wins from their last five (Source: Getty)

Fulham will be aiming for another Premier League scalp in the FA Cup when they host Tottenham in the fifth round on Sunday.

The Cottagers sealed their place in the last-16 with a convincing 4-1 victory over Hull City, and Slavisa Jokanovic's side are in excellent form heading into the clash.

The west London side are performing above all expectations this season and find themselves just outside the Championship play-off places.

Four wins in their last five games has left Craven Cottage bouncing, with captain Tom Cairney proving why Premier League sides are keeping a watchful eye.

The playmaker has a goal and three assists in those victories but faces one his toughest tasks of the season against a physically strong Tottenham side.

It's a busy few weeks for Spurs, who play in Belgium for their Europa League tie with Gent tonight, and will then face their London rivals in the FA Cup before the return European leg at Wembley next Thursday.

Mauricio Pochettino's side suffered a disappointing defeat away to Liverpool last weekend and saw their faint Premier League title hopes take another dent.

The Argentinian is also likely to give some of his fringe players a run-out with the likes of Vincent Janssen, and Moussa Sissoko poised to start.

However, Spurs won't be planning on taking the competition likely, with Pochettino keen to bring some silverware to White Hart Lane sooner rather than later.

But with the Premier League side's travels likely to take their toll, plus Fulham's fine home form, I think the Cottagers can cause another upset.

I'll be backing a home win at 31/10 with 188Bet.

Both sides love to attack, and after the last two games at Craven Cottage finished 3-2, I envision another open encounter on Sunday.

I suggest buying goals at 3.1 with Sporting Index.

Pointers

Fulham win - 31/10 (188Bet)

Buy total goals - 3.1 (Sporting Index)

City A.M.'s opinion pages are a place for thought-provoking views and debate. These views are not necessarily shared by City A.M.

http://www.cityam.com/259258/betting-fulham-win-derby-against-well-travelled-spurs

WhiteJC

EFL clubs agree in principle to introduce goal-line technology in Sky Bet Championship

English Football League clubs have agreed in principle to introduce goal-line technology into the Sky Bet Championship next season.

The clubs agreed to the proposal following a meeting of Championship sides on Thursday, and it will now be presented and voted on at the EFL's Annual General Meeting in June.

A statement released by the EFL said the outcome of the meeting could see the latest 'Hawk-eye' technology installed at all Championship clubs in order to assist referees and their assistants during matches.

Officially known as the Goal Decision System, it uses high-speed cameras to track the trajectory of the ball from different angles.

EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey said: "I welcome the decision of our clubs to introduce goal-line technology into the EFL.

"[Professional Game Match Officials Limited] officials do an incredible job and this decision is about providing our match officials with as much support as possible to ensure they are best placed to make the right calls in even the most difficult of situations.

"The technology is widely adopted elsewhere in football, including in two of our competitions and I therefore welcome it as an important addition to the Sky Bet Championship from next season."

Goal line technology was introduced to the Premier League in August 2013. The system is already used in the latter stages of the EFL Cup and EFL play-offs.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/10770543/efl-clubs-agree-in-principle-to-introduce-goal-line-technology-in-sky-bet-championship

WhiteJC

Mauricio Pochettino admits Harry Kane picked up knee injury in Gent defeat and may not face Fulham
The Spurs boss admitted that his striker picked up an injury during the match in Belgium

Tottenham Hotspur boss Mauricio Pochettino has revealed that Harry Kane picked up a knock to his knee in the 1-0 defeat at Gent in the Europa League.

The Spurs boss admitted that he will need to reshuffle his side for Sunday's FA Cup tie at Fulham after the disappointing loss in Belgium. Vincent Janssen, who missed out on a place in the squad for the Gent tie will likely get his chance against the Championship side this weekend.

"I think we need to assess some players. We need to assess Harry Kane, he got a knock on his knee," said the Argentine.

"Different players maybe, we need to refresh the team. In the end it is Tottenham that will play Fulham on Sunday, it's not about the name of the player.

"It's sure that we will put out a team with the aim to win and we will compete."

Kane struck the post with a shot soon after half-time and Gent went on to score through Jeremy Perbet. Spurs had a lacklustre first half and rarely raised their levels in the second half, but the Spurs boss felt differently.

"I think today was a game in which we competed from the beginning," said Pochettino. "I think Gent from the beginning were super motivated to play against us.

"I think we coped with that motivation and it's true it was a difficult game because Gent in the Europa League showed a very good performance.
We knew that before. But the game was always under control. The second half disappointed us that we were better and we created a chance when in the first half it was difficult to create a chance.

"It was our best period when we conceded a goal. That is football. We start to try to push and gave them counter attacks. I think the tie is open. We cannot be worried about the result today or the trust of the team.

"I think the attitude was good. I think we need to go to Wembley and try to make it our home, feel good, put pressure on Gent and try to win the game."

http://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/mauricio-pochettino-admits-harry-kane-12616741

WhiteJC

Fulham v Tottenham preview

Check out our preview pack for Sunday's clash between Fulham and Tottenham in the FA Cup fifth round, which includes team news, predictions and much more to help you with your football bets.

Fulham host Tottenham on Sunday February 19, kicking off at 1400 GMT live on BBC One.

Here is our preview pack, which includes the team news, quotes from both managers, our predictions and key Opta statistics to help you with your bets.

Fulham v Tottenham: Opta facts
Tottenham have progressed from five of their previous six FA Cup ties against Fulham, but were knocked out by them in the most recent meeting (4-0 in Round 4, 2010/11)
However, since that 4-0 win, Fulham have lost each of their last three games versus Spurs at Craven Cottage.
Ryan Sessegnon scored and assisted in Fulham's Round 4 victory over Hull - he also scored in the third round v Cardiff.
Son Heung-Min has scored in both rounds of Spurs' FA Cup campaign so far, scoring in the 97th minute v Wycombe to help his side progress.
Fulham haven't knocked out two Premier League teams in the same FA Cup campaign as a lower league side since 1998/99 (Aston Villa and Southampton).
Spurs have progressed from 12 of their last 13 FA Cup ties against teams from lower down the pyramid - the exception being against Leeds in 2012/13.

Mauricio Pochettino (Tottenham)
Will appear here...

Fulham v Tottenham: Team news
Will appear here...

Fulham v Tottenham: Our prediction
Will appear here...

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/championship/news/article/360/10770803/-

WhiteJC

Noooo! Fulham have only gone and done it.

Brentford have a day off on Saturday. FA Cup capitulation at the hands of Chelsea (a game where we put in a performance that was very much the Murray Jones to their Dean Holdsworth) sees us now kicking our heels. Just a few miles up the road, however, near neighbours Fulham are in cup action. They entertain Tottenham on Sunday.

It is a game which made me sit up and take notice yesterday, but for a very wrong reason. At a time when Donald Trump is beating all comers hands down in the apparently deranged stakes  (his explanation of what uranium is has me intrigued, yet genuinely terrified, about what his next bit of amateur science might be), he seems to have a rival. The Fulham club shop.

Bear in mind this is the club that has already brought you 'The Neutral stand' and 'The Gin bar'. A club who introduce 'clackers'  and 'giant foam fingers' to try and help the home fans generate some atmosphere. Then, of course, there was that business with the Michael Jackson statue. Yet even by their previously odd standards, they have now gone 'full Trump'.

What is the most scorned thing about modern football? Tourists on a day trip to Chelsea or Old Trafford? Grown men in full kit on a match day ? 'Hilarious' shirt names (I 8 Spurs etc  I don't, for the record)? Selfie-sticks?

All are bad and yet one thing still transcends them all. The half and half scarf. There is no logical reason as to how this has sprung up or why any football fan of sound mind would buy one. Who wants memorabilia celebrating another team? Who wants to wear the opposition colours? Let alone in this most happy-clappy of styles? Over priced and cheaply produced tat. Something so offensive that no self-respecting club has even embraced previously. Up until now these abhorrent items have only been available from the street hawkers.

Up until now being the key phrase. Because, of course, Fulham have stepped forward. With this. Officially. In their official club shop.

I may be late to this party but I don't care. Irony goes full circle as Fulham break the fourth wall. Get your official half and half scarf. This has to be a joke? Surely? Would any self-resecting club really do this ?

Part of me hopes that Matt Jeffrey is just a fake twitter ID, playing a very long game in order to spoof the hapless Cottagers. Yet with over 1500 tweets already, and seemingly all the right credentials, he looks legitimate. And he is encouraging his Fulham fans to wear a Spurs scarf. Or, at least, half of one.

You know what, I hope they win. Genuinely. For no other reason than one can't even begin to imagine what their marketing team will dream up for the quarter finals.

Half and half shirts, here we come....

Nick Bruzon

https://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/2017/02/17/noooo-fulham-have-only-gone-and-done-it/

WhiteJC

Tottenham's Harry Kane expects to be fit for FA Cup tie at Fulham after suffering knee injury against Gent

Tottenham striker Harry Kane has indicated the knee injury he sustained in Thursday's Europa League defeat to Gent is not serious.

But while Kane hopes to be available for the FA Cup fifth-round tie at Fulham on Sunday, the 23-year-old will be assessed ahead of the match and may not be risked.

Kane took a knock late on in the 1-0 first-leg loss against Gent but was later seen walking out of the Ghelamco Arena, seemingly unhindered.

When asked whether he would be fit for the game at Craven Cottage, Kane said: "Yes, it should be fine."

But Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino had earlier suggested his star striker might be one of a few players rested against the Championship outfit.

"I think we need to assess some players. Harry Kane got a knock on his knee, different players too," Pochettino said.

"We need to refresh the team and we'll do that. Tottenham will play in Fulham on Sunday. It's not the name of the players, it's the club.

"We'll see, but we'll put out a team with aims to win and be ready again to compete."

Jeremy Perbet's second-half winner secured Gent a deserved victory and leaves Tottenham with work to do in next week's second leg at Wembley if they want to progress.

The loss also continues a worrying dip in form for Pochettino's men, who have won only two of their last six matches after winning their previous seven in a row. They have scored only once in their last four.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenhams-harry-kane-expects-to-be-fit-for-fa-cup-tie-at-fulham-after-suffering-knee-injury-against-a3468996.html

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: WhiteJC on February 17, 2017, 07:55:53 AM

Noooo! Fulham have only gone and done it.

Brentford have a day off on Saturday. FA Cup capitulation at the hands of Chelsea (a game where we put in a performance that was very much the Murray Jones to their Dean Holdsworth) sees us now kicking our heels. Just a few miles up the road, however, near neighbours Fulham are in cup action. They entertain Tottenham on Sunday.

It is a game which made me sit up and take notice yesterday, but for a very wrong reason. At a time when Donald Trump is beating all comers hands down in the apparently deranged stakes  (his explanation of what uranium is has me intrigued, yet genuinely terrified, about what his next bit of amateur science might be), he seems to have a rival. The Fulham club shop.

Bear in mind this is the club that has already brought you 'The Neutral stand' and 'The Gin bar'. A club who introduce 'clackers'  and 'giant foam fingers' to try and help the home fans generate some atmosphere. Then, of course, there was that business with the Michael Jackson statue. Yet even by their previously odd standards, they have now gone 'full Trump'.

What is the most scorned thing about modern football? Tourists on a day trip to Chelsea or Old Trafford? Grown men in full kit on a match day ? 'Hilarious' shirt names (I 8 Spurs etc  I don't, for the record)? Selfie-sticks?

All are bad and yet one thing still transcends them all. The half and half scarf. There is no logical reason as to how this has sprung up or why any football fan of sound mind would buy one. Who wants memorabilia celebrating another team? Who wants to wear the opposition colours? Let alone in this most happy-clappy of styles? Over priced and cheaply produced tat. Something so offensive that no self-respecting club has even embraced previously. Up until now these abhorrent items have only been available from the street hawkers.

Up until now being the key phrase. Because, of course, Fulham have stepped forward. With this. Officially. In their official club shop.

I may be late to this party but I don't care. Irony goes full circle as Fulham break the fourth wall. Get your official half and half scarf. This has to be a joke? Surely? Would any self-resecting club really do this ?

Part of me hopes that Matt Jeffrey is just a fake twitter ID, playing a very long game in order to spoof the hapless Cottagers. Yet with over 1500 tweets already, and seemingly all the right credentials, he looks legitimate. And he is encouraging his Fulham fans to wear a Spurs scarf. Or, at least, half of one.

You know what, I hope they win. Genuinely. For no other reason than one can't even begin to imagine what their marketing team will dream up for the quarter finals.

Half and half shirts, here we come....

Nick Bruzon

https://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/2017/02/17/noooo-fulham-have-only-gone-and-done-it/

Aside from all that is sh1te about Brentford, you have to give him his due, as he is pretty much spot on. For a dozen reasons, that scarf is a terrible idea. A second string Spurs at home, big deal. Who comes up with this cr@p ?