more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (16/02/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 16, 2017, 07:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

​Tammy Abraham is a major doubt for Bristol City's Fulham showdown

Tammy Abraham is already a major doubt for Bristol City's big Championship showdown against Fulham at Ashton Gate next Wednesday.

Injured in last night's 2-1 defeat at Leeds United, Abraham limped off after damaging his thigh shortly before half time at Elland Road.

He later emerged from the dressing room looking extremely uncomfortable and favouring his right leg.

Stopping briefly to speak to journalists at pitch-side, the Chelsea teenager revealed he had pulled a quad muscle before making his way gingerly to the team coach.

Replaced by recent signing Matty Taylor, Abraham will need to make a rapid recovery if he is to stand any chance of being ready to line-up against Fulham in a contest the Robins need to win to keep clear of the Championship relegation zone.

Abraham has scored 21 times in all competitions this season and his goals have helped keep City out of the bottom three. Should he now spend a period of time on the side-lines, his goal-scoring instincts will be sorely missed.

But at least Robins head coach Lee Johnson now has alternative options after signing Taylor and Milan Djuric during the January transfer window.

Those two forged a partnership after Abraham's exit last night, Djuric netting City's last-gasp consolation goal at Elland Road.

City head coach Lee Johnson said of Abraham's injury: "He has done something to his thigh and he is worried that it's something serious. We will get it scanned and wait and see.

"I didn't think he was as sharp as he usually is tonight and maybe that was a sign of fatigue. He's played a lot of games for a young kid, but you cannot leave him out when he is nigh-on the top scorer in the league."

Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/8203-tammy-abraham-is-a-major-doubt-for-bristol-city-s-fulham-showdown/story-30137354-detail/story.html#t257ppX6YjChc7kd.99

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon in focus: Fulham teenager is the next English star

Ryan Sessegnon has been getting lots of praise at Fulham this season

He is the 16-year-old everyone is talking about, so how good is Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon? Adam Bate assesses his vast potential and the big decisions that await...

Perhaps it would be easier to list the big clubs not interested in Ryan Sessegnon's signature. Some say Arsenal and Liverpool are favourites but Chelsea and Tottenham have also been linked with the Fulham teenager as well as both Manchester clubs. Even Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig have reportedly sent scouts to Craven Cottage. So what is all the fuss about?

Sessegnon celebrates with Sone Aluko after scoring against Hull City

Sessegnon's Fulham team-mate Stefan Johansen sums it up well. "It's 99 per cent certain he will be one of the top left-backs in the world," said the Norwegian midfielder. Johansen was speaking after seeing Sessegnon score for the second round running in the FA Cup and few there to witness the performance would be in too much of a rush to disagree with him.

In the press conference after that 4-1 fourth-round home win over Hull, the opening question to Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic was about whether such a good team display against Premier League opposition was an encouraging benchmark for his players. But if this was the benchmark, Sessegnon surpassed it. He was the best player on the pitch. At 16.

Chris Martin urges everyone to credit Sessegnon after his goal against Hull

He scored one goal, using his prodigious pace and energy to burst down the flank, and had another wrongly disallowed. But it was his astute lay-off to Chris Martin when clean through himself that really stood out. Martin let the crowd know who deserved the credit, pointing to the teenage team-mate who had shown maturity that belied his years in picking the pass.

But Sessegnon is a bright lad, a pupil at Coombe Boys' School over the road from Fulham's training ground along with his talented twin brother Steven who is also on the club's books. Jokanovic has spoken of his work ethic and his "good personality" - traits that hint at more progress to come. He knows this is a young man heading to the top with or without Fulham.

"He is only 16 years old but 100 per cent this player is going to be at the highest level soon," admitted Jokanovic. Sessegnon owes his coach plenty, having been promoted to the senior side in the summer, but Jokanovic has had his faith rewarded from the moment he cracked a powerful effort high into the net against Brighton in a pre-season friendly.

Sessegnon has since become the youngest ever Championship goalscorer, a reminder that while the teenage wonder-kid is a familiar trope, he really is a rarity. After all, Sessegnon is one of only seven teenagers to have scored a Championship goal this season. Only three teenagers have created more chances. And all of them are 19 years old not 16.

It is a reminder of how far ahead of the game that this young man is. If he stays put, he has the opportunity to rack up the best part of 200 senior appearances while still a teenager. But even the most optimistic of Fulham supporters might have to concede that this is unlikely to be how this particular story pans out. Jokanovic is cherishing him while he can.

"I am enjoying the opportunity to work with and use him in my squad," said Fulham's head coach. "I hope for a long time but in this business you never know what is going to happen." And in this business, the decision will be Sessegnon's to take. It's one he should consider very carefully before potentially turning his back on regular first-team football.

FA Cup heroics
Ryan Sessegnon has scored in both of Fulham's games in the FA Cup so far this season. They host Tottenham on Sunday.

Consider, for example, the fact that he was the youngest member of the England Under-17 squad to travel to Azerbaijan for the European Championships last summer, but has currently made more senior starts and appearances than the rest of that squad put together. Consider too the merits of matches rather than training ground get-togethers.

For now, there is an FA Cup fifth-round tie against one of his mooted suitors in Spurs. Danny Rose's injury will prevent a direct comparison with the current England left-back but one can be made right now: Rose's professional debut came in the Championship on loan at Watford. He was almost 19. It's a clue as to why there is such a fuss over Ryan Sessegnon.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/10767778/ryan-sessegnon-in-focus-fulham-teenager-is-the-next-english-star

WhiteJC

Why Slavisa Jokanovic was a relieved man after Fulham fightback to beat Nottingham Forest

Slavisa Jokanovic was a relieved man to see his Fulham side win their second game at home in four days as they beat Nottingham Forest 3-2.

Victory kept the West London side in the play-off race in the Championship, Tom Cairney and Lucas Piazon on target before Neeskens Kebano's goal proved decisive.

"I believe we have played better football," said Jokanovic. "Today was not our best day, we didn't play a brilliant game.

"But after a very soft start to the game, we found so many problems but we overcame them, then we win the game.

"The last two games at home we have conceded four goals, both oppositions put us under so many stressful situations. We need to do better, we need the fans."

Kebano's goal was the second game in succession the Democratic Republic of Congo international has made a significant impact as a substitute.

"I have to be satisfied with the last 10 minutes," said Jokanovic. "Neeskens Kebano has brought us four points and it's important that he's working hard. He's fighting for a space in the team."

Read more at http://www.nottinghampost.com/why-slavisa-jokanovic-was-a-relieved-man-after-fulham-fightback-to-beat-nottingham-forest/story-30137436-detail/story.html#GGX17T5qAFk0c6uK.99

WhiteJC

Parker: Fulham need to 'keep grinding out results'
by DAN on FEBRUARY 15, 2017

Scott Parker was delighted that Fulham secured a victory over brave Nottingham Forest last night 'without playing at our best' and urged his team-mates to 'keep grinding out results' as Slavisa Jokanovic's side chase down the Championship's top six.

The Fulham captain, who once again was introduced for final stages of another five-goal thriller, told Talksport after the final whistle that the Whites are showing real steel as the season gets down to what he described as the 'nitty-gritty':

A big win. I think you're getting to the nitty-gritty of it, to be fair, where it's just about results really – and just keep grinding out results. At the moment, that's what we seem to be doing. I don't think we've played at our best the last couple of weeks but we're managed to get six points in a week, so it's been important.

I think we're going to have to put a run together, which we know we've got to do. You know we have the [FA] Cup at the weekend and then we go into another couple of games in the space of the next week, like you know, I think you're right we've got to put a run together, we're chasing down [the top six]. I sometimes think that might be a good position we're in, to be fair. I think what's good at the moment is we're not playing great, not the best we've played and we're still getting results. That's pleasing.

As a former Tottenham player, Parker is eagerly anticipating Sunday's fourth round FA Cup tie against Spurs at Craven Cottage.

Very much so. Obviously old club, always good to see familiar faces and obviously a very good side, with a fantastic manager, so looking forward to seeing it. I have some fond memories of playing at Spurs, it was a good time for me really, so I'm looking forward to it. We go in there as underdogs, like you see, they coming here after a Thursday night game, I think they go again the following Thursday so I don't know how Mauricio Pochettino's going to view and how he's going to use his squad but we beat a Premier League side here in the last round and we're pretty confident, so I'm sure we'll give a good account of ourselves.

The veteran midfielder also has a view on the sad decline of the world's oldest club cup competition – fondly remembering his days of watching the showcase final as a youngster.

I was brought up on it, it was something when I was growing up, which was a whole day thing. I remember waking up early in the morning and literally you was watching the teams getting on the bus, coming out the hotel, so it was a massive thing for me. I suppose over the years it has lost that little bit of spark really and it's a real shame but I suppose that's what happens. That's the world we are in today, it's very different to when I was growing up.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/02/parker-fulham-need-to-keep-grinding-out-results/

Neil D

I wish Tammy a speedy recovery - starting next Thursday.

WhiteJC

Piazon: Keeping Faith

Fulham recorded back to back home wins on Tuesday evening by beating Nottingham Forest in a five goal thriller to keep themselves in touching distance of the play-off spots in the Sky Bet Championship.

Having beaten Wigan Athletic in dramatic circumstances on Saturday, a similar effort was needed to beat Forest to win their second game at Craven Cottage in the space of four days.

Lucas Piazon was delighted with the determination of Fulham to stick to their gameplan and grind out an important victory.

"To start the game like we started the game, basically losing. It's hard, its tough" commented goal scorer Piazon."We changed the system because we were pressing a while and playing further back.

"In the middle we couldn't find the space.

"We put three players in the back and played with two wing back, I just moved from the left to the right wing.

"We kept pushing despite the set-backs and had confidence in our gameplan to come away with the win."

After pulling level through Tom Cairney the Whites took the lead after Piazon scored a sublime solo goal.

Receiving a neat lay-off from Floyd Ayité, the attacking midfielder skipped past two defenders and then kept his cool to neatly slot home into the bottom right hand corner with a well taken drive.

"We just tried to keep going and creating chances and score goals," he reflected. "I saw there was a little gap inside of the defence and I just went inside.

"Then I think another guy came so I had to go one more and shoot with my right foot.

"In the second half there was another early goal so we had a lot of time to get the third goal and the win.

"So we just stayed positive and just kept going, to be honest, just push forward creating chances and we got the winning goal."

The Whites next take on opposition in the form of Tottenham Hotspur in the Emirates FA Cup at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/february/15/piazon-keeping-faith

WhiteJC

Jan Vertonghen in line to make Tottenham comeback in Fulham FA Cup tie, says Mauricio Pochettino

Jan Vertonghen could be fit enough to feature in Tottenham's starting line up against Fulham on Sunday, Mauricio Pochettino has confirmed.

The Belgian defender has been sidelined with ankle ligament damage in recent weeks, having picked up the problem in Tottenham's 4-0 win over West Brom in mid-January.

Vertonghen has missed Tottenham's last five games but has been progressing well in training and is now pushing to be in contention for the trip to Craven Cottage in the FA Cup fifth round.

"Jan Vertonghen is very well and maybe Sunday he'll be ready to make the starting XI or be on the bench," Pochettino said ahead of his side's Europa League clash against Gent on Thursday night.

Pochettino has experimented with a number of deputies - and formational tweaks - during Vertonghen's injury absence and the 29-year-old's potential return will represent a boost for the north Londoners.

Spurs have been installed as clear favourites to progress at the expense of their capital rivals with Pochettino expected to make several changes to his side against Slaviša Jokanović's men, who occupy eighth place in the Championship table.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/jan-vertonghen-in-line-to-make-tottenham-comeback-in-fulham-fa-cup-tie-says-mauricio-pochettino-a3467811.html

WhiteJC

Piazon praises Fulham's persistence
by DAN on FEBRUARY 15, 2017

Lucas Piazon praised Fulham's persistence and adaptability after Fulham shrugged off early setbacks in each half to claim another vital win against Nottingham Forest at Craven Cottage last night.

Gary Brazil's side went in front after just two minutes through former Fulham midfielder Pajtim Kasami and the home side's momentum could have been dented when the lead they had established before half-time was wiped out by Ben Brereton's header early in the second period. But the Brazilian forward saluted Fulham's belief in their ability and their character to record a second success in a five-goal thriller in four days.

Piazon told the club's official website:

To start the game like we started the game, basically losing. It's hard, its tough. We changed the system because we were pressing a while and playing further back. In the middle we couldn't find the space.

The on-loan Chelsea forward also revealed that Slavisa Jokanovic had switched to a back three in the second half in order to stifle Forest's attacking intent:

We put three players in the back and played with two wing backs, I just moved from the left to the right wing. We kept pushing despite the setbacks and had confidence in our gameplan to come away with the win.

Piazon was pretty modest about his wonderfully taken individual goal that put Fulham 2-1 up.

We just tried to keep going and creating chances and score goals. I saw there was a little gap inside of the defence and I just went inside. Then I think another guy came so I had to go one more and shoot with my right foot.

In the second half there was another early goal so we had a lot of time to get the third goal and the win. So we just stayed positive and just kept going, to be honest, just push forward creating chances and we got the winning goal.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/02/piazon-praises-fulhams-persistence/

WhiteJC

Is Fulham's Tom Cairney the best midfielder in the Championship?

The 26-year-old has lit up the division and is definitely ready for the top flight.

As Fulham continued their pursuit of the play-offs with a 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest, it becomes more and more apparent just how good their midfielder Tom Cairney is.

The 26-year-old ran the show at Craven Cottage against the Reds, scoring one and dictating almost every forward move the Whites initiated, of which there were plenty.

Cairney's strength and skill on the ball is incredible to the point where he can hold off two opponents, go round one and then spray a 20 yard pass to feet like it was nothing - and do this several times in one match.

He's the complete midfielder - accurate passing, strong tackling, hard to dispossess, solid in the air, and capable of putting an opponent to the sword with his finishing abilities in front of goal.

While there are many contenders for the title of best midfielder in the Championship, such as Jonjo Shelvey, Conor Hourihane, Sam Hutchinson and Dale Stephens to name just four, it's Cairney that rises to the top.

If Cairney's not back in the Premier League next season, it would be a complete travesty. With or without Fulham, he needs to be there - and won't be short of offers.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/02/15/is-fulhams-tom-cairney-the-best-midfielder-in-the-championship/