watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (07/03/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 07, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Leeds United at Fulham FC preview: Whites try to keep Cottagers outside the top six

Tuesday's trip to Craven Cottage won't be easy, as Fulham FC are even better than Leeds United at home in 2016/17.

A dangerous side, on the rise. Can Leeds take valuable points at Craven Cottage? Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images

The dust has barely settled on Friday night's Birmingham victory, and we are off to the big smoke for another tricky and challenging affair at Craven Cottage, home of Fulham FC.

Despite big spends, Fulham have been a little off the pace in recent seasons but now find themselves back in the hunt at 7th place in the league. However, they're still a notable 9 points behind Leeds United, now in 4th.

The two teams are both coming off the back of 3-1 victories; the Cottagers dented Preston's play-off hopes whilst Leeds United defeated Birmingham at St Andrew's. Also like Leeds, their manager Slaviša Jokanović, set a top 6 target for this season and they are certainly finishing strongly.

Johnny Wakefield interviewed a Fulham blogger yesterday in our latest Leeds Against The World segment, but let's take a deeper look at tomorrow's game today in our match preview.

What we know about Slaviša Jokanović
The former Yugoslavian International, as a player, had stints with Deportivo and Chelsea and managed Partizan Belgrade, Watford and Maccabai Tel Aviv. He took control of Fulham in December 2015, helping them to narrowly avoid relegation to League One. His most notable honour as a player is winning La Liga with Deportivo in 2000. As manager, he took Watford to the Premier League.

Hovering
Fulham have hovered around the top ten most of the season but have undergone a recent resurgence and have accumulated the 3rd best goal difference in the Championship at +19. Again, like Leeds, they have only lost 4 home games all season.

They have overhauled the entire team shipping out an incredible 25 players either loaned or transferred, including Ross McCormack and Matt Smith to Aston Villa (now loaned to Nottingham) and QPR respectively. In turn they have transferred in 11 players and loaned in 6.

Perhaps their most infamous arrival is Ragnar Sigurðsson, the Iceland International Centre Back who helped knock England out of Euro 2016 with this goal...

Sorry about that reminder.

Other Top 6 Tuesday Fixtures
Reading (5th, 63 points) vs. Newcastle (1st, 76 points)

Brighton (2nd, 71 points) vs. Rotherham (24th, 17 points)

Huddersfield Town (3rd, 65 points) vs. Aston Villa (13th, 45 points)

Sheffield Wednesday (6th, 61 points) vs. Burton Albion (19th, 37 points)

Leeds United player to watch
Since joining on deadline day from Villarreal, Alfonso Pedroza has featured in only 3 games as he gets adjusted to life in the Championship. However, his cameo role, against Birmingham City, provided us with a glimpse of what's to come as he scored his first goal for the club. As games come thick and fast he is sure to feature at some stage on Tuesday evening. More of the same please, Alfonso.

Fulham FC player to watch
On loan Scottish International Chris Martin is Fulham's leading marksman with 11 goals to date from 22 appearances. That equals a ratio of a goal every other game and as he scored in his last appearance against Preston, let's hope that ratio stays for Tuesday night at least.

Head-to-Head
At Fulham there have been 25 meetings between the two clubs, with Fulham winning 11, Leeds 9 and 5 drawn.

Form
Leeds have won 3, lost 1, and drawn 1 in their last five.

Fulham are now unbeaten in 5 games, with 4 wins and 1 draw.

WHAT

Fulham FC vs. Leeds United

EFL Championship fixture

WHERE

Craven Cottage, Fulham

LUTV, BBC Radio Leeds, International Listings

WHEN

Tuesday, March 7th, 2017

11:45am PT / 2:45pm ET / 7:45pm BT

WHO

Leeds United's predicted starting XI

Green, Ayling, Bartley, Jansson, Berardi, O'Kane, Bridcutt, Sacko, Hernandez, Doukara, Wood

Fulham FC's predicted starting XI

Button, Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, Sessegnon, Cairney, McDonald, Johansen, Aluko, Martin, Kebano

ODDS

Leeds 3/1

Draw 11/4

Fulham 17/20

PREDICTION
1-1 draw. Leeds United have been lauded for their home form this season losing only 4 and keeping clean sheets. However, Fulham have only been defeated the same amount of times at home and have conceded 1 less goal than Leeds. This one could be low-scoring, I'm predicting a draw. MOT.

http://throughitalltogether.sbnation.com/2017/3/6/14824756/leeds-united-fulham-fc-preview-whites-try-to-keep-cottagers-outside-the-top-six

WhiteJC

Ritchie: This is the message Monk will send to Leeds players ahead of Fulham clash

Andy Ritchie is convinced that Garry Monk's message to the Leeds players ahead of their clash against Fulham will simply be, 'don't lose'.

The promotion hopefuls are back in action on Tuesday night when they travel to Craven Cottage for a second consecutive away match.

Leeds beat Birmingham 3-1 at St Andrews on Friday evening and are aiming to consolidate their place in the play-offs with another positive result against Fulham.

Former Leeds striker Ritchie, who has managed Oldham, Barnsley and Huddersfield, believes it is important to prevent the west London side from securing the win that would shake up the promotion battle.

Monk's side are fourth in the table with 64 points from 35 league matches, while Fulham are the best placed of the team's outside of the top six, with a haul of 56 points and can narrow the gap on the pacesetters if they win at home.

"I just think Leeds need to get something out of it," said Ritchie in his weekly Yorkshire Evening Post column. "They'd love to win it, obviously, but don't lose. I think that would be the message to the players from Garry.

"They will know that they didn't play particularly well at Birmingham but they have got a kind of steel to them that Garry seems to have instilled in them whereby when they don't play well, they are still able to grind out results.

"It is a big game at Fulham. Garry won't want to make a big thing about it but I think it's just a case of 'don't lose'. Leeds are not assured of a play-off place yet. I wouldn't think that anybody would say it's done and dusted yet.

"The players should not feel that way because it's definitely not over until that last game of the season. That's when it is over and every manager should be saying that to his players and I am sure Garry will be doing that.

"He will be drumming it them into them that you have got to play in the moment but you don't take anything for granted in football."

Ritchie, who was a prolific scorer during a four-year spell at Leeds in the 1980s, has been encouraged by what he has seen of Monk's players in recent weeks, when they have struggled to replicate the fluency of their display against Derby in January, arguably their best of the campaign.

But the Championship big hitters are well placed to secure a place in the play-offs in May as they aim to end their 13-year spell in the lower leagues.

An automatic promotion spot is a more distant prospect, even though Brighton have given them a glimmer of hope with defeats in their last two fixtures.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/andy-ritchie-predicts-leeds-clash-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Leeds United: Monk seeks "free minds" ahead of crunch clash at Fulham

HEAD coach Garry Monk has told his Leeds United players to free their minds ahead of Tuesday night's trip to Fulham after feeling the Whites were "playing with pressure" at Birmingham City.

Leeds further strengthened their promotion push with a 3-1 triumph at Birmingham on Friday but United rode their luck before leaving St Andrews with all three points. And Monk feels his men would benefit from keeping to their natural, expressive game rather than over-thinking matters in an intense race to seal either a play-off place or even an automatic promotion spot in May. United are long odds-on to finish in the Championship's play-offs after Friday night's victory at Birmingham which left the fourth-placed Whites just seven points behind second-placed Brighton and eight points clear of seventh-placed Fulham. The Cottagers, though, have a game in hand and could significantly change the picture with victory against United at Craven Cottage on Tuesday night. The contest is arguably United's biggest game of the season so far but Monk is keen for his men to play with free minds and freedom with 11 games left to go. Monk reasoned: "The first 60 minutes wasn't good enough from anyone (at Birmingham) but we spoke at half time and we just lacked that little bit of freedom. "We looked like we were playing with pressure with us and we shouldn't be.

"We are in a fantastic position and I said to the players at the end that we need to help free your minds a little bit more - you are in a fantastic position, you have earned the right to go and play your football and do the things that we know we are good at and that we have shown many times. It's doing it from the start. "But of course it's difficult, every game is very hard and it's great to have a magic wand and say that you can play for 90 minutes your best football but it doesn't happen like that. "But our mentality at Birmingham was brilliant. "The second half as it grew on we got much, much better, we started to play the football we know we can and looked very dangerous and created chances and defended very well.

"We take that last 30 minutes as a real positive and obviously winning the game and obviously learn from the first 60 minutes that we know we need to get better which we will see it games to come that I am sure that we will."

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/fulham-v-leeds-united-monk-seeks-free-minds-ahead-of-crunch-clash-at-fulham-1-8423006

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney reveals Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has warned him he will be a target
The 26-year-old has caught the eye this season with a number of fine performances and that hasn't gone unnoticed by fans and opposition managers alike

Marked man: Tom Cairney has been warned he will be a target (Photo: Harry trump/GettyImages)

Fulham's starman Tom Cairney has revealed that Slavisa Jokanovic has warned him that he will be a target for opposing teams before games.

The 26-year-old has been in fine form all season, bagging himself seven goals and nine assists so far, picking up the EFL Player of the Year award last week at the London Football Awards.

That form hasn't gone unnoticed by the Craven Cottage faithful, and nor has it gone under the radar of opposing teams who know it's Cairney who makes the Fulham machine tick over.

Cairney took a few late kicks in the 3-1 defeat of Preston on Saturday, but Jokanovic's vice captain insists it doesn't bother him, although he admitted his manager has warned him he opposing sides may try to target him.

He said: "I got a few kicks late off the ball but I don't know, I think that's happened all season - it has been a great week for me but I need to top it off with three points.

"The manager said it to me before a few games that I'll be a target and to be careful but it's part and parcel of the game, the top players get it every week and you just have to go with the flow.

"I don't mind it, so long as I take my first touch I feel comfortable and feel like I won't lose the ball but I have to be a bit careful of course."

Cairney picked up the EFL gong at the London Football Awards last Thursday - the first time that the midfield maestro has been recognised in such a way, and he has revealed it was a proud moment in his career.

He added: "It was one of those nights where I haven't had that in my career yet but it's been an amazing season and it was such a proud moment for me and my family, my family came and I'd love to kick on from here.

"It's nice for your performances to get recognised and it;s a long hard season - the Championship is relentless so to perform on a good level for a long time it's nice to get rewarded for it."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tom-cairney-reveals-fulham-manager-12696928

WhiteJC

Ben Parker predicts Fulham vs Leeds result

Leeds United travel to Fulham on Tuesday in a game that could have big implications towards the top of the Championship.

Former Leeds defender Ben Parker has told Radio Yorkshire that he is expecting Garry Monk's men to come away from their game with Fulham on Tuesday with a draw, but added that Chris Wood could be the game-changer at Craven Cottage.

The clash could have fairly large implications in the race for the top six in the Championship with Leeds currently fourth while the Cottagers are seventh but have played a game less than the three teams above them.

With eight points between the two teams - which Fulham could obviously close to two with wins against the Whites and in their game in hand - avoiding defeat could see Monk's men take one sizeable step towards securing a play-off spot.

But Parker is confident that Leeds can secure a share of the points, if not take all of them back with them to Yorkshire.

"I'm going to be on the fence for this one. I think 1-1 would be a good result but you never know with Chris Wood in your side," he told Radio Yorkshire.

"One chance, and as he's proven, one goal, you can nick it with a striker like that bang in form, but I'll stick with 1-1."

As Parker alluded to, Leeds arguably have the potential wildcard with Chris Wood enjoying such fantastic form in front of goal. His double against Birmingham took his tally for the season to 22, including nine in his last 10.

And they may need him to be somewhere near his best once again, as Fulham are enjoying a promising run of form in the league, having not lost in the Championship since the start of February.

And if they pick up some more momentum by beating Leeds, then it would take a brave person to bet against Slavisa Jokanovic's men securing a top six spot. Similarly however, if Leeds can pick up a positive result, then few could suggest that their season will not be continuing beyond their 46th game.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/06/ben-parker-predicts-fulham-vs-leeds-result/

WhiteJC

REPORT: FULHAM 2-2 UNDER-18s

Three own goals mean points shared at Motspur Park

NORWICH City's Under-18s drew 2-2 with Fulham at Motspur Park on Saturday in the Under-18s Premier League.

Both sides struggled to break the deadlock in the first half, with the hosts having the better of the chances, but City absorbed Fulham's pressure well to keep the game goalless going into the break.

The opening goal of the game came in the 52nd minute when Joe Felix had his shot blocked, the resulting corner floated into the box and City stopper Jon McCracken fumbled the ball into his own net under pressure.

The Whites extended their lead eight minutes later when Nicolas Santos-Clase picked up the ball on the halfway line and ran until he was in a one v one situation with McCracken before neatly finishing past the Scotland international.

The Canaries got one back in the 64th minute with the ball being well worked into Fulham's box before Felix's clearance bounced off of his own 'keeper and into the net.

Three minutes later City were level thanks to another own goal. This time Kieran Higgs drilled a cross that struck Felix before bulging the back of his own net.

The young Canaries finished eighth in the league and are now unbeaten in their last three games.

FULL-TIME: Fulham 2-2 Norwich City

GOALS: Whites: McCracken (OG) (54), Santos-Clase (60) Canaries: Ashby-Hammond (OG) (64), Felix (OG) (67).

NORWICH CITY: McCracken; Aarons, Ellesley, Wallis, O'Donnell; Sambu, Kamal; Higgs, Hlynsson (Oddy, 72), Aransibia; McIntosh (Fleming, 57). Subs not used: Hale-Brown (GK).

Read more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/fulham-norwich-city-under-18s-3610547.aspx#c2SEUog38mXPwu3c.99

WhiteJC

Next Up: Leeds

here's still time to secure your seat with Fulham back in action at Craven Cottage tomorrow night to take on Leeds United (Tuesday 7th March, kick-off 7:45pm).

The Whites will be looking to build on Saturday's 3-1 victory over Preston and continue their push towards the Play-Off places, so make sure you don't miss any of the action in SW6, with tickets on sale to supporters with a Booking History now.

Priced from £25 adults and £15 juniors, fans can purchase today to save £5, before tickets increase on matchday. Supporters can purchase online, by phone on 0843 208 1234 or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

Only a very limited number of Hospitality packages remain for tomorrow's fixture, with the final few spaces remaining in The Clubhouse, and Shared Executive Suites. Package prices start from £99 and can be purchased by calling 0208 336 7555 or emailing [email protected]

Supporters must be logged in to purchase online.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/06/next-up-leeds

WhiteJC

CONCACAF U20 Champions

On Sunday Marlon Fossey and Luca de la Torre became CONCACAF U20 Champions in Costa Rica by beating Honduras in the final on penalties.

The match was scoreless after 90 minutes and the USA made history by winning 5-3 from the 12-yard spot.   

This is the first time the USA have ever won the CONCACAF at U20 level, and took their opportunity in their fifth final in the competition. 

Both Fulham Academy players Fossey and de la Torre had a hand in the win, playing for the entirety of the game.

de la Torre was the man to give the Stars and Stripes the advantage by smashing his penalty into the top right corner to make it 4-3, and the win was sealed by USA's Danny Acosta.

Fossey and de la Torre not only had a hand in this match, but were imperative to the USA team throughout the tournament.

Both the Academy boys played 90 minutes in five of the six matches, and were rested for the St Kitts & Nevis match. Fossey also appeared early in that game due to injury.

The USA did it the hard way, they lost their opening match to Panama but then subsequently won five games in a row, including beating favourites and 13 times winners Mexico.

The team also had to navigate victories over Haiti, a game in which de la Torre also scored to give the USA the lead, El Salvador in the semi final and of course Honduras in the final.

Fossey and de la Torre will be joining up with the U20 USA team once more this summer for the World Cup as CONCACAF Champions.

Photograph curtesy of U.S. Soccer

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/06/concacaf-u20-champions

WhiteJC

Snodin - Undone By Fulham Footballing Brains

Preston's play-off chances suffered a blow when Fulham - boosting their own chances - ended our five game unbeaten run to leave North End nine off the top six.

Sone Aluko put Fulham ahead before Chris Martin made it two. Tom Barkhuizen's first goal since joining Preston from Blackpool last year gave us hope but this ended when Neeskens Kebano sealed the points.

Assistant Glynn Snodin admitted that Fulham were 'a step above' Preston. Taking on the post-match conference duties he was quoted by the BBC as saying.

'We've come up against a good side today. I felt they were different class, a step above us.'

Snodin went on to say the players reacted well to falling two down at Craven Cottage and Preston had believe we could get back into the game and did at 2-1.

However, Simon Grayson's number two finished by saying Fulham's counter attacking play and 'footballing brains' made the difference.

'To be fair to our players they kept going and got back in it at 2-1. They have got belief as a unit and always believe we can get something from a game. But Fulham are a good counter-attacking side with good footballing brains. And that's what we've been undone by today.'

Read more: http://www.pne.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=483069#ixzz4acrhdg60

WhiteJC

Leeds United: Vieira and Taylor in contention to face Fulham

RONALDO VIEIRA is firmly in contention to feature for Leeds United at Fulham tomorrow, with head coach Garry Monk declaring: "you have to sometimes pull them back to put them back in."

Midfielder Vieira failed to even make the substitutes' bench for Friday night's trip to Birmingham City and Monk confirmed that the 18-year-old was not injured and merely rested.

Left-back Charlie Taylor also failed to make the match-night squad, despite having been declared fit after recovering from an Achilles injury that has kept him out since December.

But both Taylor and Vieira remain very much in contention to feature in Tuesday night's Championship crunch clash at Fulham, with Monk particularly keen to take a patient approach with the still inexperienced Vieira.

"They are all available," said Monk.

"Ronny was available (for Birmingham) but I have to manage the group how I want to manage them and with young lads you have to sometimes pull them back to put them back in.

"And Ronny was one of them.

"He could have played and travelled but it's for me to manage all of those situations and manage the group right and what I feel is best for them and make sure that everyone is ready for the games that come."

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-vieira-and-taylor-in-contention-to-face-fulham-1-8423357

WhiteJC

Championship stats: Best passers in the league revealed including 93% completion maestro
ONE Championship side owns eight of the top 20 passers in the league.

There's no definitive way to play in the Championship but while some teams favour the long ball, others are built around slick passing.

One team boasts eight of the top 20 passers in the league based on pass completion percentage, according to Squawka stats.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/775543/Championship-stats-best-passers-league-revealed-sportgalleries

WhiteJC

Monk wants players to ignore pressure

Leeds boss Garry Monk wants his players to ignore the pressure and play with freedom at Fulham on Tuesday night.

The Cottagers are pushing hard to get themselves into the play-off places but a win for Leeds on Tuesday would put Monk's men 11 points clear of them. Monk is looking for his side to play with a sense of freedom and not be dragged down by the pressure of pushing for a top six spot. Following the win over Birmingham on Friday, he told reporters: "We looked like we were playing with pressure and we shouldn't be. "We are in a fantastic position and I said to the players at the end that we need to help free your minds a little bit more. "But of course it's difficult, every game is very hard and it's great to have a magic wand and say that you can play for 90 minutes your best football but it doesn't happen like that."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/championship/monk-wants-players-to-ignore-pressure-1844080.html

WhiteJC

Free-flowing Fulham leaves Jokanovic purring after Craven Cottage victory over Preston

Slavisa Jokanovic was delighted his side hit their fluent best to take the spoils at Craven Cottage

Unflappable is perhaps the best way to describe Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic and his side are starting to become a mirror image.

Sone Aluko scored the first and created the third as Fulham saw off a brief Preston resurgence after Tom Barkhuisen's goal to win 3-1.

The Chris Martin mystery continued as he marked his return to the side with the second to go into double figures for the season.

The win sees Fulham keep pace with the four play-off sides who, unfortunately for Jokanovic, all won. That could be the only mark on his day.

"I believe we very played a very good game. I must be satisfied with our performance, we followed our style, moved the ball and created many chances," said the Fulham boss.

"When Preston scored their goal we knew we would be in some kind of trouble for a few minutes but we found a solution. The team showed their character, played bravely and scored a third goal. We scored three, I believe we could have scored many more.

"I am not such a romantic man and in general I just want us to always win. It is a simple choice of what is best for us.

"There is a gap of six points gap between us and the top six, this is our target, what we are going to push for at the end of the season. We are still in position to fight to play after the first week in May."

Preston assistant Glynn Snodin praised Fulham's bold football and said there was little doubt they deserved their win.

"We've come up against a good Fulham side," he said. "What they do, how they play, the players they've got in their side, they were different class and a step above us.

"Credit to our players they kept going to the end and we almost got back in the game until, against the run of play, they get the third.

"They're a good counter-attacking side, who can handle the ball and have great movement - football brains - and that's what we've been undone by, a great footballing side.

"You know what they're going to do but it's hard to stop sometimes."

Fulham might feel they should have gone in at the break with more than their one-goal lead after dominating the first half.

Following several attempts Fulham finally found a man in space from one of their trips to the byline. Kebano picking out Aluko with an instinctive pull-back for the Nigerian international to slam home from the penalty spot.

The confident Cottagers had several more opportunities to increase the advantage before the break. Tomas Kalas went the closest when he flicked on a near-post corner only to see Chris Maxwell make a fine reaction save.

Fulham got the second goal their play deserved on the hour. Ryan Fredericks roamed forward and found Martin in an unfathomable amount of space in the box. The striker was left with the simplest of tasks and finished well into the bottom corner.

When Barkhuisen latched on to McGeady's perfect through ball to make it 2-1 Preston briefly threatened to make a game of it.

That hope lasted about 10 minutes until Kebano killed the contest when found in the box by Aluko, allowing Fulham to see out the closing stages.

http://www.ealingtimes.co.uk/sport/15136289.Free_flowing_Fulham_leaves_Jokanovic_purring_after_Craven_Cottage_victory_over_Preston/

WhiteJC

Another Painful Day In London

It was the annual Gentry Day with fans travelling by train, car and boat to reach Craven Cottage as over 2,800 fans made the journey to Fulham. Unfortunately, the Preston team in all yellow were in an equally giving mood going down tamely to a strong Fulham outfit.

In fairness, Preston are rarely carved apart and have held their own since returing to the Championship. The management may have put the defeat down to just playing a better side but the defensive play was not good on Saturday with the home side given acres of space.

Aluku gave Fulham the lead before the break and the goal was all too easy for the home side. The lead was doubled after the break when Martin scored.

Preston's best move of the match came through McGeady who slotted a perfect ball through to Barkhuizen who was given his first start. He ran through on goal with a neat finish reducing the scoreline.

North End were outplayed and Fulham soon restored their lead with a goal from Kebano. Again there were questions to be asked over the defending.

This season now has a familiarity about it similar to last season. Fulham are chasing the play offs with some momentum whilst Preston now have to contemplate negotiating the latter part of the season with a top ten finish the most realistic aim.

The league table ever lies and Preston are in a fair position. It is clear where Preston are lacking and Grayson has done a superb job and what is essentially a shoe string budget. Copeting against sides like Fulham on and off the pitch will always be a tough ask.

http://www.prestonnorthend-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/another_painful_day_in_london_904784/index.shtml

WhiteJC

Why did Fulham pair Sone Aluko and Ryan Fredericks find a place in the WhoScored? team of the week?
Both were named in the WhoScored? team of the week and we look at the stats behind their performances against Preston

team of the week: Sone Aluko and Ryan Fredericks

Fulham pair Sone Aluko and Ryan Fredericks have been named in WhoScored's team of the week for their strong performances against Fulham, but what do the stats say?

We've had a look at both performances and ran the rule over the stats from the 3-1 victory at Craven Cottage, and they make for interesting reading.

It was clear to the naked eye that Fredericks was a nightmare for the Preston fullbacks all game, and that was evident when his pace and vision set Chris Martin on his way for their second goal of the afternoon.

His passing stats tell a story - he had an 87% pass completion from his 52 passes while only 4% went long, which is testament to how Slavisa Jokanovic wants his teams to play.

His attacking form was the best part of the game on Saturday, but as a defender his first and most important duty is to defend, and he did well in that aspect.

He made three tackles, winning 100% of those while winning half of his aerial duels in the match, something that will have pleased Jokanovic immensely.

Meanwhile, Aluko was on fire and that is shown through his rating of 9.21 - the highest on the WhoScored? team of the week.

He bagged himself the opener when he drilled home Neeskens Kebano's opener, while he got himself an assist when he turned provider for Kebano who scored Fulham's 13th goal in their previous five games.

He got 75 touches of the ball during the 88 minutes he was on, winning over half of his duels, while finding the target three times out of his four strikes all game.

His distribution doesn't make for bad reading either - his passing accuracy was 89% with only 4% of them going long.

The gaffer was also pleased with Aluko's performance, but insisted it was his normal level: "Sone has had a good season.

"He is an important part of my squad and today he played very well in the game.

"This is his normal level, I didn't ask anything different. He is working very well, he is working very hard and he scored an important goal for us.

"I believe he will keep at this same level."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-pair-sone-aluko-ryan-12697954

WhiteJC

QPR, and former Leeds, striker happy to be 'believed in again' after Fulham woes
The former Leeds and Fulham striker claimed he has gained a new lease of life since swapping Craven Cottage for Loftus Road

QPR'S Matt Smith admits it's good to be believed in again.

The former Leeds and Fulham striker claimed he has gained a new lease of life since swapping Craven Cottage for Loftus Road in the January transfer window.

The 27-year-old was behind Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele last season in the pecking order at Fulham, and, even after the pair left found himself out of favour with the Whites following the arrival of Slavisa Jokanovic.

While stopping short of labelling his last few years on the banks of the Thames a waste, there is no doubt he is relishing being Ian Holloway's leader of the line.

"Football is a game of opinions," the QPR striker said in a veiled reflection on his latter days at Fulham, before adding pointedly, "I'm lucky I'm here with a manager who really believes in me and wants to get the best out of me."

Frustration: Matt Smith (Photo: Surrey Advertiser)

"Fulham have had a great season so I had to bide my time on the side-lines, but as a player you want to be playing regular football, so the opportunity to come to such a great club such as QPR was a good one.

"I'm very settled in the west London area as well, but most important was the meeting I had with Ian Holloway and Les Ferdinand.

"Those two meetings were a real breath of fresh air, something I was delighted to hear and it wasn't just words said in those 45 minutes it has come to fruition and is happening.

"For them to have that belief in me is something I don't take for granted and I'll look to repay the faith as best I can."

The decision to attribute the winner in Saturday's 2-1 win over Cardiff to the Bluebirds' own Jazz Richards deprived Smith of a third goal in his first six starts.

The fans have nevertheless quickly taken him to their hearts, but he knows he must keep the goals coming to retain such popularity.

He added: "I've been around long enough to know this honeymoon period is great, but I'm hopefully here for the long haul so I've got to keep turning in performances like today and week in week out."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-former-leeds-striker-happy-12699320

WhiteJC

Confirmed: Frozen-out Leeds 25-year-old handed recall for Fulham clash

Modou Barrow has revealed that Marcus Antonsson has been recalled to the Leeds squad to face Fulham on Tuesday evening.

Antonsson, 25, has struggled since his arrival in Yorkshire, scoring just three goals all season and was left out of the matchday 18 for Friday's 3-1 win against Birmingham City after being named in Leeds' Under-23s side earlier in the day.

However, on-loan winger Barrow revealed on his personal Twitter account that Antonsson was on the coach to Craven Cottage with his Leeds teammates by taking a selfie with the striker.

Antonsson has played second fiddle for the entirety of the season to New Zealand international Chris Wood, who is now the Championship's top scorer with 22 league goals.

It has seen the Swede drop into Jason Blunt's development side on a number of occasions this season, after making just six Championship starts in the entirety of the campaign for the Yorkshire giants.

Indeed, Antonsson has been frozen out to the point that he has not even made the substitute's bench for Leeds' last five games.

With just one Championship goal to his name, the former Kalmar FF striker will be hoping to be given a chance to add to his tally against Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

Fulham come into the game in a wonderful run of form, winning four out of their last five Championship encounters against the likes of Preston, Bristol City and Nottingham Forest.

The Cottagers have the chance to climb into the play-offs with a win, while Leeds could leapfrog Huddersfield into third place if the Terriers lose at home to Aston Villa.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/modou-barrow-drops-leeds-selection-hint-twitter-posting-selfie/

WhiteJC

HYS: Jokanovic vs. Monk... Who's the better manager?

While some may be distracted by the Champions League this midweek, the Championship has a full round of fixtures to whet the appetite.

Among this selection of games, Fulham hosting Leeds United looks like a particularly intriguing prospect, with both fallen Premier League sides – who have been in relatively successful in European competition in somewhat recent memory – having picked up their form this term as they compete to return to the top table.

These turnarounds are somewhat due the managers in the dugouts, with Slavisa Jokanovic having taken the Cottagers to the very edge of the play-off zone, while Garry Monk's Whites sitting in one of the four spots below runaway leaders Newcastle and Brighton & Hove Albion.

But who's the top tactician? The managerial mega man? The chief coach? Well, you can have your say right here as FootballFanCast aims to settle the debate before kick-off.

http://www.footballfancast.com/debate/polls/hys-jokanovic-vs-monk-whos-the-better-manager

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Leeds United Preview: Three questions with Through It All Together
We're joined by Through It All Together to preview this match and discuss the top six.

Cottagers Confidential: How worried are you about falling out of the top six? Who do you think the final top six will be and do you like your chances with that group in the playoffs?

Through It All Together: Not worried actually. I'm part of the optimistic Leeds United contingent, the one that thinks automatic promotion might still be on the cards if we play March well. Of the teams in the top ten, I think we're clearly better than 4, so while the top six might shuffle a bit, I don't think we'll drop. I'd put the final six at Brighton, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Huddersfield, and... Fulham. Can't see Reading holding you off, and if we do finish 3 and 6, we'll have to do another one of these in May.

CC: Gary Monk wasn't thought of as a tactical genius when he was in charge at Swansea, and by the numbers Leeds don't look like they do anything great. Yet you've ridden a middle of the road offense and a above average defense into fourth place and the fourth best GD. How have you done it, and do you think it's sustainable long term?

TIAT: Not sure if this is a backhanded compliment or what... but yeah, I think it's sustainable long term. Garry Monk has built a team that plays with "passion," and while that might not be a quantifiable statistic, it has shown throughout the campaign. Pontus Jansson and Gaetano Berardi in particular play with a determination reminiscent of old Leeds United legends, pounding their chests and gesturing to the crowd at every opportunity. Jansson has been a revelation back there, partnered with Swansea loanee Kyle Bartley, and while his passion might get him in trouble sometimes, he's been the anchor of the defense.

As for goal differential, that's thanks to that solid defence. Right back Luke Ayling played with centre back Bartley in the Arsenal youth system, Bartley and Jansson are on the same page too, and Berardi has filled in well for an injured (and hopefully returning) Charlie Taylor, who's a Premier League quality left back. Rob Green has been international-quality in the box after some early season errors, and while Chris Wood's goals show for the positive side of that ledger, it's the defence that gives us that top-six GD.

CC: What is Leeds biggest strength and biggest weakness this year?

TIAT: Ha, answered this one already I guess, at least in part. Our defence is our strength, and the centre back pairing of "Bartsson" in particular. Our biggest weakness has to be our midfield-forward combination play. Chris Wood leads the league in goals with 21, but our second highest goal scorer has 5. (If you want to end our campaign, injure Chris Wood.) Wood plays as the lone forward in a 4-2-3-1 formation, and when defences can isolate him from the 3 attacking midfielders, we're hopeless on attack. It's a big weakness, and it's one that has lost us several games. Monk tried to fix that weakness by adding two attacking wingers in January in Modou Barrow and Villarreal's Alfonso Pedraza, and he's hoping a resurgent Pablo Hernandez will be key in the 10 role. When Hernandez has an off-night, goals are hard to come by. So far, Barrow's quickness hasn't been a big enough upgrade to help Wood, and Pedraza just scored his first on Friday night. We'll see if they're enough to push us onto the Premier League over the next few weeks.

CC: Predicted scoreline and result?

TIAT: Predicted lineup then... Green, Ayling, Bartley, Jansson, Berardi, Bridcutt, O'Kane, Barrow, Hernandez, Pedraza, Wood.

Predicted score... 2-1, Leeds.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2017/3/6/14828810/fulham-leeds-united-preview-three-questions-through-it-all-together

WhiteJC

Leeds fans urge Monk to axe international ace for clash against Fulham

Leeds fans on Twitter have urged Garry Monk to take the drastic step of axing Pablo Hernandez for Tuesday's Championship clash against Fulham.

The three-times Spain international struggled on Friday night even though the Yorkshire giants secured a 3-1 league triumph against Birmingham at St Andrews.

The playmaker, 31, has had an impressive debut campaign at Elland Road after joining last summer initially on a loan deal that was converted into a permanent transfer in January.

But many pundits and supporters believe Hernandez is less effective in away matches when Leeds do not have as much possession.

Fans of the promotion hopefuls are now calling on manager Monk to drop the Spaniard down to the bench for Tuesday's league clash at Fulham and replace him with Kemar Roofe.

Hernandez has scored four goals and supplied an impressive eight assists in 25 Championship appearances this season.

Roofe has weighed in with three goals and five assists in 32 Championship matches, but has been used predominantly as a substitute in recent weeks.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/leeds-fans-urge-monk-axe-international-ace-clash-fulham/