more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (11/03/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 11, 2017, 07:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Newcastle: Magpies skipper Jamaal Lascelles demanding some home improvements

THEY might have enjoyed a successful week on their travels, but Jamaal Lascelles is desperate to see Newcastle United making the most of some home comforts when they return to St James' Park tomorrow.

A seven-day spell that featured matches at Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading ended with the Magpies celebrating a seven-point haul that left them three points clear of second-placed Brighton and nine points ahead of Huddersfield, who currently occupy the first of the play-off places.

Rafael Benitez's side need just one more away success to pull clear of Kevin Keegan's title winners from 1992-93 and establish a new club record for league away wins, but their home form has not quite matched the standards they have been setting on the road.

With four defeats from their 17 home games, Newcastle are only seventh in the Championship's home table, with Brighton having claimed seven more points at the Amex Stadium than the Magpies have mustered at St James' Park.

The club's last home outing was a disappointment, with lowly Bristol City leaving Tyneside with a 2-2 draw, and Lascelles is demanding a marked improvement when Fulham visit Gallowgate tomorrow.

"We need to put things right at St James' Park because in our last home game we didn't start too well," said the Newcastle skipper. "So against Fulham I want us to start well and get on the front foot early on.

"We're very positive we can extend our unbeaten run, but it's about time we sorted out our home form and started really kicking on at St James' Park.

"We owe Fulham one as well (after losing at Craven Cottage in the opening game of the season). Every game is massive for us, and all we're looking for is the three points. Hopefully that's what we can deliver."

Lascelles' performances were a key factor as Newcastle cemented their position at the top of the table last week, with the centre-half turning in a man-of-the-match display at Huddersfield before proving equally effective in Tuesday's goalless draw at Reading.

Since suffering an attack of the jitters in last month's 2-2 draw at Norwich, Lascelles has rediscovered his best form, and his partnership with Ciaran Clark is likely to remain one of the Magpies' biggest strengths in the final two months of the season.

The pair helped secure a 15th clean sheet of the campaign on Tuesday, and while Newcastle were unable to penetrate the Reading defence at the other end, a draw was still a decent way to round off a satisfactory seven days.

"If somebody had said to us before the three away games, 'Would you take seven points', we'd have grabbed their hands off," said Lascelles. "All three teams are tough sides, and they're all looking for promotion - the same as us.

"It was a big week because it wasn't just a case of getting three points – it was a case of taking three points off other sides as well and creating that gap. We want that gap, we want to keep it and increase it. Every game's a cup final and we're not going to take our foot off the gas at all."

When Newcastle lost at Fulham in their opening game, they started slowly and failed to generate any momentum after falling behind on the stroke of half-time.

They also failed to get out of the blocks in their most recent home game against Bristol City, conceding two goals in the opening 21 minutes, and with Fulham travelling to Tyneside having lost just one of their last eight league games, it will be important to gain the upper hand from the off tomorrow.

"We always say we need to start the game brightly, and let the other team know we're not here to mess about," said Lascelles. "Then, we outwork the other teams.

"It's about putting the ball in the back of the net, and teams find it difficult to do that against us. We had a few chances in the last game (at Reading) and obviously we didn't put them away, but I'm sure we'll have another good game plan for Fulham."

Meanwhile, Aleksandar Mitrovic has been named in the Serbia squad for this month's World Cup qualifier with Georgia. The striker has retained his place for the game on March 24 despite having been omitted from Benitez's last two Newcastle squads.

Tim Krul, who is spending the second half of the season on loan at AZ Alkmaar, has been named in the provisional Holland squad to face Bulgaria and Italy.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/15145731.Newcastle__Magpies_skipper_Jamaal_Lascelles_demanding_some_home_improvements/

WhiteJC

Former Fulham man Danny Murphy has his say on whether Slavisa Jokanovic's side can make top six
The 39-year-old played for Fulham for five years and is hoping his former side can go on and make the Championship play-offs this season

Former Fulham favourite Danny Murphy reckons Fulham will continue to play well and will get into the play-offs come the end of the season.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side are only five points off at the moment with a game in hand on their rivals, which comes next Tuesday night against Blackburn Rovers at Craven Cottage.

Murphy signed for Fulham back in 2007 from Tottenham and went on to play 161 times for the Cottagers before being released in 2012.

He's been impressed with the way Jokanovic's side are playing this season and he told Talksport his former side can go on and do it this season.

He said: "I've got a feeling they might, yeah. They play really good football and they play quite high-risk.

Last gasp equaliser: Tom Cairney celebrates his equaliser (Photo: Alex Pantling/GettyImages)

"What I mean by that is they have a good go - throw men forward, play good football and try and win games, which the fans are really enjoying.

"There's a better vibe down there now that's for sure. I'm hearing some really positive stuff. Some good young players.

"Actually the biggest compliment I can give them is a couple of friends of mine who've played against them for other Championship sides have said: '(exhales) they're a good side.' So I really hope so and I think they might just do it."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-fulham-man-danny-murphy-12720527

WhiteJC

Brighton 3 - 0 Derby

Brighton eased to victory against out-of-form Derby to move level on points with Championship leaders Newcastle.

Winger Anthony Knockaert fired the Seagulls ahead early on, with a low 20-yard effort into the corner.

Sam Baldock slotted the ball in to double the lead just before the break.

Matej Vydra headed against the outside of the post for Derby, before Glenn Murray bundled in his 18th goal of the campaign from Knockaert's cross to seal Brighton's 14th home win of the season.

The Seagulls remain second in the table with an inferior goal difference to Newcastle, but now have a nine-point buffer to Huddersfield in third - albeit the Terriers have two games in hand.

Of their nine matches left, eight are against sides in the bottom half of the table as they look to return to the top flight for the first time since 1982-83.

Following a trip to play-off chasing Leeds next Saturday, April's fixture list is kind to Chris Hughton's men with home games against Blackburn, Birmingham, Wigan and Bristol City.

Their outstanding frontline of Murray, Baldock and Knockaert have now scored 42 Championship goals between them this campaign, and gave Derby's defenders a torrid time with their pace, movement and clinical finishing.

Former Leicester forward Knockaert was instrumental in most of Brighton's attacking play, bending home a superb effort to open the scoring and seeing Scott Carson tip over his fierce second-half strike.

The Rams started with former England pair Darren Bent and David Nugent up front, but Brighton's defence were rarely troubled in keeping their 19th clean sheet of the season.

Derby, who are 10th and 10 points behind sixth-placed Sheffield Wednesday, have now only picked up six points from their past nine matches and their play-off hopes appear to be over for another season.

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "We now have 77 points and there is no points target from our last nine games.

"We've got some tough games coming up and everybody is fighting. But we're on the back of a really good performance against a really good side tonight. We were very good from start to finish.

"The timing of the first goal was pivotal, the second just before half-time lifted us and we were able to take that on in the second half."

Derby County boss Steve McClaren: "It was a lesson for my team and this showed how far Brighton have come. They are going up for certain. Murray was a great signing and Brighton are a team that are going up. The gap showed.

"It was a reality check for us. We have played three games in a week and we couldn't deal with the physicality of that.

"That is the benchmark of where we need to go. In the 16 months I was away teams have really kicked on in terms of physicality. The league has kicked on. We need to learn the lessons and kick on ourselves."

McClaren on his future at Derby: "I am confident I can take it on, absolutely. We need to take the club on to the next level and from one day we knew that.

"The chairman wants Derby in the Premier League. We have all the resources and don't need to panic. We need to prepare to face Forest on Saturday and then take this club on."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39149498

WhiteJC

Newcastle United v Fulham

SAT, 11 Mar 2017Championship
Venue: St. James' Park

After two substitute appearances following injury, Dwight Gayle will hope to return to the starting line-up

BBC coverage
How to follow:
    Final Score; BBC Radio 5 live, BBC local radio; live text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Newcastle are again without full-back DeAndre Yedlin (thigh), who missed the draw at Reading on Tuesday.

Top scorer Dwight Gayle will hope to start after two sub appearances after his return from a hamstring problem, but midfielders Isaac Hayden (ankle) and Rolando Aarons (knee) are out.

Fulham will again be without Togo winger Floyd Ayite (hamstring).

Lucas Piazon remains out with a broken jaw, but the club hope to have him back before the end of the season.

Match facts
    Newcastle are unbeaten in their last four home league games against Fulham (W3 D1) since losing 1-0 in May 2009 under the management of Alan Shearer.
    Each of the last four meetings between the sides has ended 1-0, with Fulham winning the most recent two and Newcastle winning the two prior to that in 2013.
    The Magpies are unbeaten in their last 11 Championship games (W7 D4) - the second longest unbeaten run in the division this season (Brighton, 18 between September and January).
    Fulham have won 22 points from losing positions in the Championship this season - at least seven more than any other side.
    Dwight Gayle averages a goal every 87 minutes in the Championship this season, the best rate in the division (minimum 5 goals).
    Fulham have had more shots than any other Championship side this season (562), while Newcastle have had the most shots on target (197).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39162732

WhiteJC

Sky Sports pundit backs Newcastle to drop points against Fulham tomorrow
David Prutton also believes Brighton and Huddersfield will pile the pressure on the Magpies this weekend - find out why

Sky Sports pundit David Prutton has backed Newcastle to drop points in the Championship title race, suggesting Fulham will nab a point at St James' Park tomorrow.

The Magpies will look to maintain their three point lead at the top of the table when the Whites make the long journey to Tyneside tomorrow, as they look to build on an impressive 11 game unbeaten run in the league.

Rafa Benitez's side emerged from their 'make or break' period of three away games against promotion rivals with seven points out of a possible nine, as they took control of the promotion race.

However, in seventh placed Fulham, they also face a side bang in form, with Slavisa Jokanovic's side arriving on Tyneside on the back of a six game unbeaten run in the league.

Prutton backed Newcastle to lose against Huddersfield and Brighton, so perhaps we should take his prediction with a pinch of salt, but he has backed Newcastle and Fulham to share the points in a 2-2 draw tomorrow.

Writing in his weekly Sky Sports predictions column, Prutton said: "This should be a good game with the way that Fulham approach it. They have a lot of energy and pace in the wide areas, and in Tom Cairney have someone who showed his quality with the late goal against Leeds in midweek.

"Newcastle have had a good 10 days with wins at Brighton and Huddersfield and then drawing Reading, but I think the points will be shared on Saturday."

Prutton also believes Brighton will pile the pressure on United with a win over 2-1 Derby this evening.

He added: "After a tricky couple of games, beating Rotherham in midweek and getting back to winning ways would have been a big relief for Brighton.

"I thought they looked uncharacteristic against Nottingham Forest last weekend, with David Stockdale giving away a goal late on. They have been so solid in defence throughout the season that it was a bit out of character.

"There was a touch of misfortune in the Newcastle game with the Mo Diame goal, and after that Brighton have perhaps been in a bit of a mini-wobble. For them to stake a claim before the rest of the teams play this weekend and potentially move level with Newcastle is a big opportunity, especially with the pack behind breathing down their necks.

"Derby are doing their now-yearly thing of being outside the play-offs, which is frustrating for fans, and it feels like a home win for me. I don't think it will be easy but I think Brighton will take the points."

Huddersfield bounced back from their defeat to Newcastle with a midweek win over Aston Villa.

The Terriers travel to Brentford tomorrow and Prutton believes they will also reduce the gap between themselves and Newcastle with a 2-1 win at Griffin Park.

He continued: "Huddersfield continue to impress in the way they can pull out results. They beat Villa in the week and dominated large parts of the game against Newcastle last weekend, but in the most important areas they just came up short.

"You can't absolutely rule them out from catching the top two because nothing is certain in the Championship. It's been a monumental job that David Wagner has done along with the players and if you gave them play-offs now they would be buzzing. But it would be an amazing achievement if they managed to squeeze into the automatic places."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sky-sports-pundit-backs-newcastle-12721114

WhiteJC

Crewe Alex sign ex-Fulham keeper as first team back-up
Andy Dawber has joined until the end of the season as Dave Richards is ruled out

Former Accrington keeper Andy Dawber has joined Crewe Alex on a short-term deal until the end of the season.

He has come in as cover for regular number two Dave Richards, who has broken a finger and will undergo surgery to fix it next week.

Dawber, 22, is set to be on the bench when Crewe entertain Newport County tomorrow (Saturday, 3pm), ready to deputise if ever-present Ben Garratt gets an injury.

A Crewe Alex spokesman said: "Andy spent the first half of the current season at Altrincham but has been training with us over the past few weeks.

"Subject to all the necessary paperwork clearances, Andy will take his place on the subs bench for the clash with Newport County."

Dawber was at Stanley between 2012-15, making six appearances for the club, and has had loan spells at Marine and Clitheroe.

He joined Fulham for 2015-16 but did not feature and spent that season on loan at Aldershot and Bishop's Stortford.

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/crewe-alex-sign-ex-fulham-12721578

WhiteJC

What Fulham fans are saying before trip to Newcastle

Fulham fans 'The away end at Newcastle had a large "Cockneys Will Die" daubed on the wall near the turnstiles....'

Newcastle United could have a challenging match on their hands if Fulham fans are to be believed.

Five points off the play-off positions but with a game in hand, the West London club really need three points at St James Park.

Despite having 73% possession and 23 shots against Leeds on Tuesday, and being the Championship's third top scorers, Fulham needed a 95th minute goal to rescue a point.

Newcastle on the other hand have just picked up four very good away points despite having only 30% of possession at Reading and 24% at Huddersfield.

At home, Newcastle tend to dominate the ball but that could be a different story against this Fulham team where all the stats show them as a team who keeps the ball for long periods.

Rafa Benitez says he was quite happy to let Reading and Huddersfield have more of the possession as he believed it wouldn't prevent his players getting a decent number of chances.

Reading only managed one shot on target to Newcastle's five, whilst Huddersfield had six to Newcastle's five – though apart from their penalty, the Terriers were restricted to long-range efforts.

An interesting contest ahead...

Comments from Fuham fans via their top message board FriendsOfFulham and CottageCorner:

'1350 tickets sold. More than Bristol or Cardiff. I shall be amongst them even though it means a 4.00 am start!'

'That's a brilliant effort by all. Wish I could make it.'

'Great effort and think we will get at least 1 point v the geordies.'

'I am very optimistic about this one after last night (1-1 draw with Leeds). This team has FIGHT.'

'Benitez rested players last night against Reading, he must rate us very highly.'

'I think we'll dominate the midfield (3 vs 2) and we have the pace and quality out wide to hurt their full backs. Too much to hope for at least a draw?'

'Fantastic City for an away day, second to none, but the view from the away seats is appalling, so bad in fact that I would rather go to QPR away than go there and we all know what a dump Loftus Road is.'

'I have a feeling that Newcastle will try and stifle our play, even though they are at home, and I have the fear that they will play over the top to run onto which we don't seem to be able to deal with.

I think if we can deal with that and score first, that we can do this one 1-3.'

'Anyone have an idea which pub our supporters might be in before the match.  Headed to Newcastle tonight from the states, been looking forward to this trip for months!'

'Regarding Drinking establishments there is a couple of wetherspoons near the station. 40 of us on the 8 o'clock out of Kings cross will start off in there.'

'Interesting to see the Toon have lost 4 at home which is the same amount as us.  But, with 11 wins & 2 draws compared to our 8 & 6.  Fancy a 2-3 victory for the Cottagers.'

'We should be able to score at least one or two, so IMO will depend how well our defence plays. Have been a bit leaky on occasion.'

'Always like St James Park, and the social side of before and after, but have only been once as a Fulham supporter, and that was way back when, in a 4-1 win (16 Oct 1982).

This was before the ground had been redeveloped, and the away end at Newcastle had a large "Cockneys Will Die" daubed on the wall near the turnstiles.

I also recollect that the only thing that probably saved us from getting beaten up by the locals was that Supermac was our manager, and the coppers in the ground were mackems!'

'I like Newcastle but I hope they lose on Saturday!'

'I think they have some very good players that could cause us problems, Shelvey is the best player in the league imo. I would go with Malone over Sessegnon even though I think Sessegnon is the better player (Think our LB will be challenged more than a usual game).'

'Away from home, we're possession kings but do little with it. Probably a 1-1 draw.'

'Really cannot seeing us winning this one. I will take a 2-2 draw, but we really need to win it.'

'If only football games were decided by how long you can retain possession for.'

'Newcastle have conceded the least amount of goals in the league, they also have the most wins, and we have issues scoring. If we do win it'll be momentous!!'

'We do not have issues scoring we have scored 60 goals.  Newcastle play a much more expansive game than Leeds so we will have a lot of chances.'

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/03/fulham-fans-saying-trip-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Match Preview: Newcastle United vs Fulham

Buoyed by their last-gasp equalizer over Leeds in midweek, Fulham will hope to cause another upset in beating high-flying Newcastle on Saturday.

Team News
Newcastle will be without midfielders Rolando Aarons (Achilles) and Isaac Hayden (ankle) for this clash. Jesus Gamez will fill in at right back again after impressing against Reading. Vurnon Anita remains sidelined (ankle), but top scorer Dwight Gayle could return.

The visitors have a relatively clean health bill, with Lucas Piazon the only player out of action. He continues his return from a fractured jaw and won't feature on Saturday.

Past Meeting
This weekend's set of fixtures are the reverse of those that kicked off the season, and Newcastle will be hoping to avenge their shock 1-0 defeat on the opening day with a win here at St James' Park.

Giant striker Matt Smith nodded the only goal of the game from a first half corner in a close encounter which Newcastle just about edged, but it was Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham who came away with the 3 points.

The Verdict
Since then, the two sides have gone down extremely different paths. The Magpies have been almost permanent fixtures since the opening fortnight, whilst Fulham have picked the difficult route in attempting to reach the Play-Offs.

The Cottagers have been in a scintillating vein of form of late, and have proven themselves as one of the best possession-based teams in the league, alongside Jaap Stam's Reading, who held the Magpies to a 0-0 draw in midweek.

That result will serve as inspiration to Slavisa Jokanovic's side, and utilising the pace at his disposal in the likes of Ryan Fredericks, Sone Aluko and Neeskens Kebano will be key to Fulham picking up a result.

However, Newcastle's squad is without doubt one of the strongest in the division, and with Dwight Gayle set to return, it's hard to look past a home win here.

http://the72.co.uk/76895/match-preview-newcastle-united-vs-fulham/

WhiteJC

Sean Davis "It's always a thunderous atmosphere at St James Park, it's great to play in"

Sean Davis "What an opportunity to go to a fantastic club, a fantastic stadium"

Former Fulham star Sean Davis thinks his old club can go to St James Park without fear.

Pointing out the likes of Wolves and Blackburn who have won on Tyneside, Davis says those teams he 'wouldn't consider to be the same class' as Fulham.

Sean Davis thinks that for the Fulham players and fans it is 'an opportunity to go to a fantastic club, a fantastic stadium' and hopefully put a 'spanner' in Newcastle United's promotion charge.

Describing it as 'always a thunderous atmosphere at St James Park (if only!!)', the former Fulham player says he always enjoyed playing at Newcastle.

He believes an open game should suit the visitors but warns them that Newcastle have got 'dangerous players all over the park' and picks out his former teammate Matt Ritchie for a special mention.

Interesting as well to see Sean Davis talking about Newcastle being such a threat from set-pieces, we now take for granted the any goals scored this season from corners and free-kicks, after all those ridiculous barren years under Alan Pardew.

Sean Davis talking to official Fulham website:

"The next game is always the most important, and for us that's Newcastle on Saturday.

"What an opportunity to go to a fantastic club, a fantastic stadium, and try and put a spanner in their promotion charge.

"Credit to the Fulham fans who are making the trip. It's not cheap to get to and once you're there you're in the worst seats possible, they're so high up!

"Those are some die-hard fans right there. It's always a thunderous atmosphere at St James Park, it's great to play in. I scored there for Fulham once, not that it mattered much as we still lost 3-1!

"Newcastle may be top of the league but they're capable of losing home games here and there. A few teams who I wouldn't consider to be the same class as us have gone there this season and won.

"So there's nothing to fear, especially considering how good our away form has been on the whole this season.

"When we're playing in an open game we tend to do really well. We struggle more when teams put 10 men behind the ball and hit us on the counter, so I think it's set up for us to do well there.

"They've got dangerous players all over the park so it's important we contain them.

"I was at Portsmouth when Matt Ritchie was a young kid and you could always tell that he was going to go on and be a good player, so we'll have to watch out for him.

"It's important that we don't give away wide free-kicks because they've got the quality to put the ball in and trouble us with set-pieces. But I'm looking forward to the match – it should be a cracker."

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/03/sean-davis-always-thunderous-atmosphere-st-james-park-great-play-newcastle-united-fulham/

WhiteJC

Newcastle United v Fulham: Waving the Lilywhite flag

The Toon are back in action tomorrow afternoon as they take on a Fulham side hellbent on reaching this year's Championship play-offs.

217 days have passed since these two sides last met on the opening day of the 16/17 campaign and it's fair to say that this game wasn't a particularly nice inauguration into England's second tier for Rafa Benitez's men.

On a balmy summer evening, the Magpies fell to a 1-0 defeat at Craven Cottage in a game which will probably most be remembered for this silky bit of skill from Fulham's Aluko. Whilst hindsight's a wonderful thing, looking back at the way we lined up that day, it's easy to see why we came up short; no Diame, no Shelvey (until the 77th minute) and a front three that had never played together before. It doesn't take a genius to realise that a positive result would never be on the cards .

This time around however, our Magpies are a different proposition altogether.

Whilst we didn't quite get full marks in our recent three game mid-term against Reading, Huddersfield and Brighton (I'm nitpicking again, I know), the extra breathing space we've picked up between ourselves and Huddersfield in third should perpetuate more of a relaxed and calm attitude on the pitch this weekend.

Rafa's experienced enough to not let the lads get complacent, so I think in light of our growing lead at the top of the table, we should see more of a vibrant Newcastle side at St James' Park tomorrow, and I don't mean it in a cocksure way.

At the risk of sounding like a Costa-drinking, hashtag-using, fedora-wearing millennial, what I'd like to see above anything else tomorrow is a bit of SWAG.

We yet again surrendered a large proportion of possession against Reading on Tuesday night. Whilst, yes we created the better chances and possibly should have gone on to win the game, the fact that most of our efforts on goal came from outside the penalty box, shows that we perhaps could have done with a bit more time on the ball to help pry our way closer to goal.

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2017/03/10/newcastle-united-v-fulham-waving-the-lilywhite-flag/

WhiteJC

Newcastle vs Fulham: Keeping Tom Cairney quiet will be the key against the Cottagers
The Magpies are aiming to make it 12 games unbeaten against the team that turned them over on the opening night of the season

Newcastle United take on a Fulham side who are refusing to give up on a play-off spot in the Sky Bet Championship.

The Cottagers are five points behind Sheffield Wednesday but do have a game in hand as they look to take the fight into the last few games of the season.

Slavisa Jokanovic guided his team to a 1-0 win over Newcastle on the opening night of the season when many people questioned United's credentials after a slippery start to their campaign.

Referee

James Linington (Newport)

The official was due to take charge of Newcastle away to Derby earlier in the season but was injured in the warm-up.

Lee Ryder's prediction

Newcastle return back to St James' Park after a trio of away games in which they yielded seven points.

The Magpies can pile more pressure on Huddersfield, Leeds and Reading with a win on Tyneside as they look to take another step towards the Premier League.

Fulham will be no pushovers and patience might be the watchword on a day that fans won't complain if Newcastle win ugly.

If Newcastle can keep Fulham dangerman Tom Cairney quiet it may be half the battle won.

This will be another tough test but I expect Newcastle to triumph once again.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-vs-fulham-keeping-tom-12721410

WhiteJC

Newcastle vs Fulham: Three key men to watch for the Cottagers ahead of vital Championship clash
Newcastle will look to maintain their lead at the top of the Championship table when they take on the in-form Fulham at St James' Park

Newcastle welcome Fulham to St James' Park tomorrow afternoon, looking to maintain their three-point lead at the top of the Championship table.

After impressive wins over Brighton and Huddersfield, the Magpies were held to a 0-0 draw by Reading on Tuesday as they ended their 'make or break' period at the summit of the Championship.

Rafa Benitez's side are now unbeaten in their last 11 league games, but welcome a Fulham side who are also on a good run of form.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side are on a six-game unbeaten run themselves, and harbour realistic play-off ambitions, sitting in seventh place in the table.

The Whites will provide a stern test for United and with that in mind, we have picked out three Fulham players to keep an eye on tomorrow.

Tom Cairney

Cairney is Fulham's most pivotal player and is arguably the Championship's finest attacking midfielder.

Many observers have labelled him the best player in the division, although Newcastle fans would argue that title belongs to Jonjo Shelvey.

Nonetheless, Cairney boasts some impressive stats, scoring eight times in a struggling Fulham side last term. The former Blackburn midfielder has already equalled that tally this season, as well as creating a further ten goals for his side, making him one of the most proficient attacking players in the league.

He, of course, was identified as a transfer target for Newcastle in the January window, although Fulham priced the Magpies out of making a move.

Jokanovic certainly understands the importance of Cairney in his side, saying in January: "Tom Cairney is so important to us.

"He makes us tick and he shows he can do damage to teams. I'm going to guarantee he's going to stay with us."

Chris Martin

The 28-year-old has been one of the most prolific strikers in the Championship in recent years.

Martin made his name at Derby County, scoring 63 goals and creating a further 29 for the Rams, after moving to the East Midlands from Norwich City.

Chris Martin scores for Fulham

He joined Fulham on loan in the Summer and has impressed in West London scoring 11 goals and recording four assists so far this season.

Strong and good in the air, the Scottish international has been made the focal point of Jokanovic's side and he will be aiming to rough up United's central defensive pair of Jamaal Lascelles and Ciaran Clark.

Stefan Johansen

The talented Norwegian playmaker has made the transition from the Scottish Premier League to the Championship almost seamlessly.

Johansen was named the 2014 Norwegian player of the year and after making the move from Stromsgodset that same year, he quickly became a cult hero in Glasgow, during his two-and-a-half seasons at Celtic.

The 26-year-old was named the Scottish Players Player of the Year in 2015 and made the move to Craven Cottage in the Summer transfer window.

Since then, he has gone on to score nine goals and has created a further six for the Cottagers, becoming an integral part of the way they play.

Johansen also has 33 caps and three goals for Norway, and his creative influence must be stamped out by Shelvey and Jack Colback in tomorrow's key midfield battle.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-vs-fulham-three-key-12722323

WhiteJC

Official : Former Fulham Defender Omozusi Joins Whitehawk

Vanarama National League South club Whitehawk have snapped up  Nigerian defender Elliot Omozusi until the end of the season.

Omozusi had been searching for a new team following his release by Cambridge United in the January transfer window.

The 28-year-old previously had spells with Fulham, Norwich City, Charlton Athletic and Leyton Orient.

Born in England, he has caps for the U16, U17, U18 and U19 national teams of England and had been on the radar of the Nigeria Football Federation.

Former Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi wanted to invite Elliot Omozusi for an international friendly game against Mexico in March 2014 but could not get a clearance from Fifa.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22322

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic commends large Fulham support set to descend on St James' Park on Saturday afternoon
Over 1350 fans are set to make the 588 mile round-trip from Craven Cottage and Jokanovic is thankful for their support

Fulham look set to take a large travelling support to St James' Park tomorrow and Slavisa Jokanovic believes that is great news for his side.

Over 1,350 Cottagers are making the long trip to Newcastle tomorrow as Fulham aim to gun down the league leaders in their own back yard, something they managed to do at Craven Cottager courtesy of a 1-0 win in August.

It's 294 miles from the Cottage to St James' Park, and those that are travelling must be commended on the effort they are making to watch their side go toe-to-toe with Rafa Benitez' Newcastle.

Jokanovic also believes it's nice for his side to have such a large following attending tomorrow, saying: "It's always nice when our away support are with us and I am sure we'll hear them in the stadium but for ourselves we must be focused on our job.

"This stadium is always full and it's great news for us and we will have a chance to show our quality in a big crowd and big stadium and I'm sure we'll have enough motivation to show our best up there."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-commends-large-fulham-12722005

WhiteJC

Key trio out: Benitez gives Newcastle injury update ahead of Fulham clash

Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez has given an injury update to fans ahead of tomorrow's Sky Bet Championship clash with Fulham, as reported by Lee Ryder of the Chronicle.

Newcastle will be without a trio of first team players for the home tie against seventh-placed Fulham, who will pose a tricky test for Benitez as they strive to finish in a play-off position.

According to Lee Ryder, Benitez – speaking in his press conference ahead of the Fulham game – has confirmed that DeAndre Yedlin, Isaac Hayden and Rolando Aarons will all miss tomorrow's league match as they recover from respective injuries.

Yedlin has been sidelined for the past couple of games and he will not make it back in time, whilst long term absentees Hayden and Aarons are still not ready for their first team returns.

Newcastle go into tomorrow's clash as league leaders and they will be hoping to pick up three points as they continue to step closer to the Premier League.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/key-trio-out-benitez-gives-newcastle-injury-update-ahead-of-fulham-clash/

WhiteJC

Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez believes Fulham won't park the bus when they visit St James' Park
Only Newcastle and Brighton have lost less games than Fulham ahead of Saturday's tie and Benitez believes this is the game his side have to approach properly

Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez believes that Fulham won't park the bus when they visit St James' Park on Saturday, and that this is the game they have to approach properly.

Slavisa Jokanovic's team have a reputation for their attacking brand of football, a style that has seen them rise up the table to seventh with only Saturday's opponents and Brighton having lost more games than them.

Teams that have visited St James' Park this season have tended to sit back and defend, and although Jokanovic admits they may not have as much possession as they usually do, they will still play their free-flowing style of football.

And ahead of the game, Benitez has been speaking highly of the Cottagers and believes this game will be an extremely difficult tie.

He said: "They will not park the bus. They are doing well because they are an attacking team – and they will try to attack. Sometimes you can start a little bit higher or deeper but it is an attacking team – that is very clear.

"It will be a challenge for us. Jokanovic is doing a great job, and we know it will be a tough game.

"People were thinking that our last three games (at Brighton, Huddersfield Town and Reading) were very dangerous, but we were talking about four – and Birmingham (City, next Saturday) will obviously be difficult – but especially this one.

"This is the one we have to be sure we approach properly."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-manager-rafa-benitez-12724461

WhiteJC

Predicted Newcastle side to face Fulham: Trio benched

Here is how we predict Newcastle United and Fulham will line-up ahead of their Championship encounter this weekend.

To be played on Saturday 11th March 2017 at 15:00. Venue: St. James' Park, Newcastle

Odds: Newcastle 8/11, Draw 13/5, Fulham 7/2

Championship table-toppers Newcastle United host seventh placed Fulham in a game that is far from straightforward.

Despite seemingly heading for a Premier League return at the first time of asking, Newcastle have seen their lead at the top of the second-tier cut to three points, following their 0-0 draw with Reading in midweek - whereas Fulham are currently experiencing an encouraging run of form, with just one defeat from their previous eight league matches.

Further, the Cottagers, who defeated Newcastle on the opening day of the season, have recent history firmly in their favour. Indeed, Fulham have won seven of the past 11 meetings between the sides, including four victories in the most recent six meetings.

Ahead of this weekend's clash, Magpies boss Rafa Benitez looks set to move three of his starters from the Reading game to a role on the substitutes bench - namely forward Daryl Murphy, winger Yoan Gouffran and midfielder Jack Colback.

Goal-getter Dwight Gayle is fully expected to be given the centre forward's role, with Christian Atsu replacing Gouffran and the more adventurous Mohamed Diame starting ahead of Colback - in what would appear to be a very forward thinking line-up.

Newcastle's defensive unit may well remain unchanged, as full back Jesus Gamez looks set to retain his place ahead of Vernon Anita following the 0-0 result against Reading - meaning that Newcastle are still yet to concede a goal with Gamez on the pitch.

Opponents Fulham, meanwhile, will consider drafting highly rated left back Ryan Sessegnon into the starting XI, after the 16-year-old played the final half-an-hour of the comeback draw against Leeds on Tuesday evening.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/10/predicted-newcastle-side-to-face-fulham-trio-benched/

WhiteJC

Everton watched Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon - but have more interest in twin brother Steven
Exclusive: Blues keeping an eye on both of the Sessesgnon brothers

Fulham's Steven (left) and Ryan Sessegnon (right)

Everton's director of football Steve Walsh has made a personal check on Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon - but the Blues have greater interest in his twin brother.

Steven Sessegnon is being tracked by Everton who are actively trying to bolster their Academy ranks.

The 16-year-old plays mainly as a right-back for Fulham's under-23s but can operate at centre-half and in defensive midfield.

Brother Ryan, who is attracting interest from Liverpool and a host of other Premier League clubs, plays as left-back for Fulham's first-team.

And Walsh was in London last weekend to watch the highly-rated teenager as Fulham faced Preston.

But Steven is understood to be a firmer target for Everton's director of football as the Blues look to add quality teenagers to their next batch of first-team hopefuls.

Everton have also been scouting Bury wonderkid Callum Styles in recent weeks with chief u-23s scout Jamie Hoyland spotted at Gigg Lane.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-watched-fulhams-ryan-sessegnon-12724484

WhiteJC

Is Heerenveen's Sam Larsson the perfect target for Championship clubs?

The Swedish winger could be the perfect recruit for sides like Derby County, Fulham and Leeds United.

Sam Larsson takes a freekick for Sweden

With the Championship season slowly grinding towards the end, it's very likely that clubs are already putting together lists of potential summer transfer targets, as they build for next season. Some teams in the Championship won't know for sure just yet as to whether or not they're going to even be in the Championship next season, with the race for promotion still wide open.

That being said, wherever potential deals may appear, teams will be interested, and one exciting prospect in the Dutch Eredivisie is Heerenveen's Swedish winger, Sam Larsson. Arriving at the Abe Lenstra Stadium in 2014 after signing from IFK Goteborg, Sam Larsson has emerged as a bright young talent over the last season.

Playing mostly as a left-sided midfielder, who can function in both a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1, Sam Larsson has scored 22 goals in 81 games for the Dutch side, and can often be seen cutting inside onto his right-foot, causing defenders nightmares.

So which teams might Larsson suit the best? HITC Sport have drawn together a list of three possible destinations for the Swedish midfielder, but have we missed anyone out? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

Derby County
After floundering towards the end of the season this year, Steve McClaren will likely be wanting recruits in the summer to aide Derby County's promotion push next season. One of the major positions the Rams could do with strengthening is the left-side of midfield, and after utilising both a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 recently, Sam Larsson could well be the perfect fit. The Rams need another talented, goal-scoring winger on the left, to match the efforts of Tom Ince on the right.

Fulham
With promotion still a possibility, Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic could well be preparing for Premier League football next season. However, with Sheffield Wednesday just out of reach, Fulham would be wise to look at potentially cheaper options for next season. Sam Larsson would likely fetch a much cheaper price than recruitments from the Premier League/Championship, and could add some flair and goals to an already talented attacking front line.

Leeds United
Garry Monk may also be preparing for Premier League football next year, but that doesn't change the fact that Leeds United could do with another left-sided midfielder. Stuart Dallas, Kemar Roofe and a number of others have filled that role for the Whites this season, and despite the side's success, Garry Monk will likely be feeling his side could do with adding some goals from midfield. Further wingers were brought in on loan in January, signifying Monk's intent to improve that position. Sam Larsson's record is evidence enough to prove he could fill that role, and might add some flair to a Leeds United side who could be playing in either the Premier League or the Championship next season.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/09/is-heerenveens-sam-larsson-the-perfect-target-for-championship-c/

WhiteJC

Newcastle United vs Fulham Preview: Three questions with Coming Home Newcastle
Want to know what it's like to support a team that is cruising to promotion? We sat down with Coming Home Newcastle to learn that and more.

Cottagers Confidential: So, you're going up. What was your impression of the Championship?

Coming Home Newcastle: I wouldn't say that just yet. While I have a good feeling we will get promoted, I get superstitious.

I felt like the Championship really made Newcastle work hard and change their attitude. And I think Benitez learned a lot as well. When it comes to squad choice, tactics, rotation, Benitez didn't just stick to what he knew as a manager, I think he grew as well. The Championship was a fantastic learning experience.

CC: Why couldn't you have done Fulham a solid and taken care of Reading? Any chance you guys take it easy on Fulham, we could certainly use a win? In all seriousness, you've lost one less game than Fulham, what if anything has been different about those games?

CHN: Newcastle had a tough schedule before Reading, and I don't like giving the club excuses. I think that the club really played well against Reading, but it wasn't a top performance. Sadly, I think they saved it for Fulham, haha!

The difference between Newcastle and Fulham is in the draws. Newcastle United has been consistently winning games. I think just the smallest mistake in those draws for Fulham would mean you'd be up at the top of the table with us.

CC: Fulham and Newcastle have the two best attacks in the division. Is there any reason to think there won't be goals in this one?

CHN: This is tough. Newcastle has a tendency to score a lot of goals, and then score nothing in one or two straight. But, I think we got that out of our system at Reading. I would expect some goals, and if either of our defenses makes a mistake, you can expect more than one. The attacks know how to take advantage of mistakes.

CC: Predicted lineup and score?

I've never been good at predicting lineups. From our writer Nicky Topping:

Darlow, Clark, Dummett, Gámez, Lascelles, Atsu, Diamé, Ritchie, Shelvey, Pérez, Gayle

And due to my bias, I do think that Newcastle United will win 1-2. And will take this a step further and say that Fulham's Kebano will score first, and Diame and Ritchie will both score.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2017/3/10/14885392/newcastle-united-fulham-preview-three-questions-coming-home-newcastle