more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Supplement - 19/03/17

Started by WhiteJC, March 13, 2017, 08:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Odoi: Signal Sent

Following a comprehensive win at one of the toughest places to visit as a travelling team in the Championship, Denis Odoi was satisfied by the performance of a confident Fulham outfit.

A first-half Tom Cairney strike had given the Whites a slender advantage but a quick-fire double from Ryan Sessegnon at the start of the second half saw the Whites eventually run out 3-1 winners over table-topping Newcastle United.

A muted St.James' Park was stunned into submission by a virtuoso Fulham performance.

"I think we put on one of our best performances of the season," Odoi told the Club's official website. "We can be very satisfied with how we played the ball around and the way we played as a team.

"It gives us a massive boost heading into our upcoming games.

"We know technically as a team we are a top three team but the game is more than just playing the ball and technical things.

"You also have to defend and defend as a team and we have not done that a few times.

"But today we are very satisfied and Newcastle seems like a team that really suits us well."

With Newcastle slowly working their way back into the encounter at the start of the second half, Ryan Sessegnon produced two fine finishes on the counter to give Fulham a three goal cushion.

With the victory with Whites clawed to within two points of Sheffield Wednesday after results went the way of Fulham on a superb day at St.James' Park.

Despite the gap shrinking week by week Odoi is keen for Fulham to remain grounded and take each game at a time.

"Our goal is to be in the top six," he said. "We want to be there at the end of the season and play in the play-offs.

"Today we made a strong case for that and we will be pushing to get into those places and then hold on to that spot.

"We have been playing all the teams and we just feel like football wise we are often better than our opponent.

"But sometimes it's the case that we concede to early or miss chances.

"But we know where we want to be and that's the top six.

"The gaffer wants to play with a lot of possession and that shows on the pitch and I also think that we showed it today.

"We can keep the ball and with runners around we are very strong in possession."

Attention now turns to Tuesday night against Blackburn Rovers at Craven Cottage. A side battling for their Championship lives and enjoying a mini revival since the departure of Owen Coyle.

Odoi is adamant the team must be ready for a physical encounter against Rovers and be ready for a different footballing encounter having enjoyed a lot of time and space against the Magpies.

"They are fighting against relegation so they will be giving their all to stay in the League," the right-back said. "They will be giving 100%.

"But it's the Championship and we know that we cannot always play against teams who play football.

"We need to fight and if you want to be in the top six you need to compete against these teams.

"If we get in the top six or if we don't it's because of our own fault. 

"We sent out a signal today and we want to do that on Tuesday. It shows that we are not just relaxing. We are hunting for that place in the top six and hopefully we can get a positive result on Saturday as well."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/12/odoi-signal-sent

WhiteJC

Fulham man attracting from five time European champions

Fulham wide man Ryan Sessegnon is attracting interest from Liverpool, according to a report in the Sun.

16-year-old Sessegnon has been superb for the Cottagers since breaking into the team this season, and looks set to be one of the brightest talents in the game should he continue along the same development path.

However, Fulham will do well to keep hold of their man, and with Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp now sniffing around, it could mean a move might well be on the cards this summer.

Sessegnon put a further stamp on his impressive ability yesterday, when he managed to score two goals in a superb 3-1 win at Newcastle United for the in form playoff chasing side.

This was not just a one off though for the impressive left sided player, and he has delivered on more than one occasion this season for Slavisa Jokanovic.

The Cottagers are now just two points shy of a playoff place, and hold a crucial game in hand over Sheffield Wednesday in the race for the top six.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-man-attracting-from-five-time-european-champions/

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough and Watford fans cast jealous glances towards Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic
Serbian's job in improving Whites has led to envious fans wanting him in charge of their clubs

Slavisa Jokanovic's job in turning Fulham's fortunes around has not gone unnoticed by other clubs.

Former club Watford have had a difficult time of late and fans are keen to see the Serbian return to Vicarage Road, where he became the third manager after Graham Taylor and Aidy Boothroyd to take the Hornets to the top flight.

And their supporters are keen to see Jokanovic return to Hertfordshire in the summer with current boss Walter Mazzarri losing support among the Watford faithful.

Supporters of Premier League strugglers Middlesbrough have also grown weary of boss Aitor Karaoke.

The former Real Madrid number two has spent a lot of money but his turgid style of play has come unstuck in the top flight this season and supporters feel it is time for a change with Jokanovic's passing game, expertly demonstrated against Newcastle, turning supporters' heads.

Jokanovic, though, has gone on record previously saying how happy he is at Fulham and recently agreed a new two year contract at the club.

The Whites know they have a good thing going so any approach is likely to be met with a flat rejection from the club's hierarchy.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-watford-fans-cast-jealous-12729772

WhiteJC

Chris Martin transfer saga takes new twist as Steve McClaren sacked by Derby
The now departed Rams boss had been keen to recall the Scottish striker from his loan spell at Fulham in January

The Chris Martin saga took another twist on Sunday night as Derby sacked Steve McClaren.

The now departed Rams boss had been keen to recall the Scottish striker from his loan spell at Fulham in January.

McClaren and Whites boss Slavisa Jokanovic exchanged a war of words at the turn of the year over Martin's future.

"I've made it clear that I like Chris Martin and if there's any possibility that we can get him back, then that's great. We just have to wait and see," McClaren said on New Year's Eve.

"From day one I've made my feelings on Chrissy clear. It's now up to the two clubs to sort that one out and for us managers to stay out of.

"The (transfer) window isn't open yet. There is a lot of speculation and people don't know the full extent of what is about to happen."

Bristol bristles: Bearded Slavisa Jokanovic at Ashton Gate

Jokanovic fired back two days later after the Whites lost 2-1 to Brighton.

He fired back: "I've spoken to him. We played against Derby four weeks ago and Steve asked me about Chris Martin and he explained to me that he liked this player.

"I explained that he is under contract and I want to stay with him and I recommended him looking in the market for another option. He probably doesn't understand my English very well."

Martin and Jokanovic appeared to reconcile before the game with Barnsley in January, where he scored.

The Serbian said at the time: "We resolved this situation inside the dressing room and he is 100 per cent committed with us.

"We believe in him. The team believe in him. The club believe in him."

On the scoresheet: Chris Martin (Photo: Ker Robertson/GettyImages)

Martin spoke to GetWestLondon after the 1-0 defeat against Reading but refused to air his dirty laundry in public and focus on his football.

He said: "I just want to concentrate on football. I need to look after myself and my family. I believe I put them first throughout my career.

"In January, that's been the case. People know there have been discussions. I'm not going to air my dirty laundry in public.

"All I want to do is focus on my football. I want to get over the disappointment of Reading but all players want to get on the pitch and play 90 minutes and I'm fortunate enough that I've managed to do that the last few games."

Former England boss: Steve McClaren

He signed a new contract at Derby but Jokanovic has previously said he wouldn't be returning to his parent club during the January Transfer Window - with Martin returning to the Fulham line up.

However, the 28-year-old was absent from the Cottagers' squad for their trip to South Wales, but his manager insists everything is normal and he expects him to play a big part in his side.

He said: "The situation is completely normal, he is working hard to try and improve himself and very soon I believe he will be at the optimal level to be a big part of the team and help us.

"Thanos (Petsos) is injured and Lucas is too but everyone else is available for the game tomorrow, and that includes Chris Martin."

McClaren's departure may now impact Martin's future and Fulham still have an option to sign the striker on a permanent basis in the summer.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-martin-transfer-saga-takes-12731516

WhiteJC

Why Ryan Sessegnon must stay with Fulham

Ryan Sessegnon has been making a name for himself in the Championship this season.

If you were not aware of who Ryan Sessegnon was, then you be well acquainted with him after his brace guided Fulham to a 3-1 victory over Newcastle United at St James' Park on Saturday.

At just 16, he has already written himself into the record books. After scoring in Fulham's 2-2 draw with Cardiff City on 20 August, he became the first player born after the millennium to score a professional league goal and the youngest player to score in a Championship goal.

Sessegnon is a left-back by trade and all of his appearances for the Cottagers has been in his favoured position. However, he played in a more advanced left midfield role against Newcastle.

To say he excelled in his new role would be an understatement. A return of two goals, his fifth and sixth of the season, and a man of the match of display against the league leaders capped off the perfect afternoon for the youngster.

Talk has naturally turned to where his next destination will be. A number of Premier League clubs are said to have been tracking Sessegnon's progress throughout the season.  A report from the Sun today suggests that Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool will make their move in the summer in a £10million move.

It is a foregone conclusion that the future of Sessegnon will be in the Premier League and it is expected that he will move to a club in the division where European football is in their season schedule. A move away from Craven Cottage is inevitable and it is an unavoidable outcome that the West London club will need to contemplate.

Amidst all of the talks of an impending big money move, one scenario has not been scrutinised. Sessegnon could well be playing Premier League football next season. Fulham currently sit one place outside the play-off places. With the gap at only two points and with a game in hand, Slaviša Jokanović's men are plotting a convincing promotion push.

However, even if promotion is not achieved, the perfect place for Sessegnon to continue to develop is at Craven Cottage. It is easy to forget his age when watching him on the football pitch. He plays with a maturity well beyond his years and his performances have fast tracked him into becoming a key figure in this Fulham side.

How many times have we seen a big move for the next star of tomorrow materialise too early? The results can be often disastrous. A player is signed to provide the long term solution to a side's future defect. While they are not quite ready to make the step up to the first team, they are either left to progress in the under-23 'development' team or secure a handful of short term loan moves for first-team opportunities.

Careers filled with such potential and promise are thrown out into the scrapheap and in the harsh reality of football, a player may never recover. At this point in his career, Sessegnon should be looking no further ahead than his next game in a Fulham shirt.

He is playing in a side who are in great form and playing under a dynamic manager who is putting together an exciting team together. There is no plausible reason why Sessegnon should not be a key component in the short-term success of Fulham.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/12/rb-why-ryan-sessegnon-must-stay-with-fulham/

WhiteJC

Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea are keen on Ryan Sessegnon... so, who is the 16-year-old Fulham wonderkid?

Ryan Sessegnon scored twice as Fulham beat Newcastle United 3-1
    The 16-year-old wonderkid has enjoyed an impressive breakthrough season
    Left-sided player has been scouted by a number of leading top-flight clubs
    Slavisa Jokanovic says Sessegnon can become one of the world's best

As much as Fulham would love to keep him under wraps, 16-year-old Ryan Sessegnon just keeps attracting attention.

Two goals inside the space of eight minutes on Saturday guided Slavisa Jokanovic's Championship play-off chasers to a 3-1 victory over league leaders Newcastle United and enhanced his reputation still further.

The first was a cool left-footed finish into the far corner after being teed up inside the Newcastle penalty box, the second an inch-perfect near post finish after lightning pace carried him through.

Fulham youngster Ryan Sessegnon celebrates with Tom Cairney after scoring at Newcastle

The 16-year-old sensation scored twice as Fulham defeated Newcastle 3-1 on Saturday

He might have completed a late hat-trick when Fulham were awarded a penalty, only for Tim Ream to pull rank and promptly fire wide.

But Sessegnon had certainly demonstrated once again precisely why Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham have all had the teenager scouted.

Those in the know at Fulham have been tipping the left-sided player for big things for some time, and the club will surely face a battle to keep hold of Sessegnon this summer, even if they return to the Premier League.

With Fulham closing to within two points of sixth-placed Sheffield Wednesday, with a game in hand to come against Blackburn Rovers on Tuesday, he will undoubtedly play a part during the run-in.

Although Sessegnon has spent large swathes of the Championship season on the bench, he has still contributed four goals and two assists, playing either at left-back or on the left of midfield, as he did at St James' Park.

Sessegnon fires home the first of his two goals at St James' Park after a Sone Aluko backheel

The youngster's impressive performances have attracted the attention of several big clubs

He's also shone in the FA Cup, with goals against Cardiff City in the third round, plus a goal and an assist in the 4-1 home win over Hull City in the fourth round.

While Jokanovic has used him sparingly and sensibly throughout the campaign, it's easy to see that Fulham are a very dangerous proposition going forward with Sessegnon in the side.

The youngster's explosive pace is a weapon in this time of forward-thinking wing-backs and he's shown great ability with his crossing, passing and finishing.

This was the first time Sessegnon had started on the left of midfield, but it seemed to suit his attributes and many Fulham fans believe this is ultimately where he'll play.

Sessegnon's rapid progress is also a glowing tribute to Fulham's fine academy set-up, with Wandsworth-born Ryan and his twin brother Steven joining the academy aged eight in the summer of 2008.
Sessegnon has scored four Championship goals for Fulham this season and two in the FA Cup

Sessegnon has scored four Championship goals for Fulham this season and two in the FA Cup

Though primarily a left-back, Sessegnon proved he can play left wing against Newcastle

He has accelerated smoothly through the age groups and this has been a fantastic breakthrough season after he made his full debut in the 3-2 EFL Cup victory over Leyton Orient back in August.

Having impressed, Sessegnon was handed a first league start against Leeds United seven days later and his leap from the under-18 side to the first team was complete.

And when he scored his first Fulham goal - in the 2-2 draw with Cardiff City on August 20 - he became the first player born in the 21st century to score in the English professional leagues at 16 years and 94 days old.

All the attention from the elite of English football hasn't fazed Sessegnon, who is, according to his team-mates, a quiet presence in the dressing room who passes spare time by playing games on his phone.

Speaking recently, team-mate Kevin McDonald ribbed Sessegnon for being terrible at Mario Kart on the Nintendo DS.

He said: 'I don't know what he does with his time. He must play football all the time because he isn't playing computer games, no chance.'

The quiet and dedicated Sessegnon is studying for his GCSEs this year

The teenager takes on Tottenham's Kieran Trippier during their recent FA Cup fifth-round tie

Much of his time away from football at the moment will be taken up with GCSE revision, and let's hope one of his subjects is geography as he's travelled plenty with the England youth teams.

Sessegnon currently plays for the U19 age group and could be involved in important qualifiers against Spain, Norway and Belarus later this month to see if the Young Lions make the finals in Georgia.

But his stock is rising, with Jokanovic saying: 'He will be a good player in the future. Now it depends if he wants to be the best or only a good player. His future is in his hands.

'To be the best in the world you have to sacrifice. You have to forget the family, forget the friends, forget the money.

Sessegnon in action for the England Under 16s last year - he is now at U19 level

Sessegnon is tipped for a bright future - but it's likely to be at a club other than Fulham

'In this moment he is a fantastic project of a football player. It depends on his next steps. He's a kid but right now in a business for adults. I treat him like an adult.'

Team-mate Stefan Johansen has also tipped him for great things, saying: 'It's 99 per cent sure he will be one of the top left-backs in the world.'

And after Saturday's performance, there will be a few more who agree with that sentiment.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4308620/Fulham-teenage-star-Ryan-Sessegnon-profile.html#ixzz4bHf9ofsM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Cairney's Call-Up

Tom Cairney has been named in the Scotland squad for the first time for their two fixtures later this month.

Both matches are on home soil, with a friendly against Canada at Easter Road on Wednesday 22nd March followed by a World Cup Qualifier at Hampden Park with Slovenia four days later.

"Tom Cairney was the best man on the pitch at St James' Park," Gordon Strachan said after announcing his squad, "but that was no surprise, he has been the best man on the pitch on many occasions."

Strachan has also named Chris Martin in the squad for the double header.
Fulham players called up for international duty:

Floyd Ayité (Togo) - Friendly

Tom Cairney (Scotland) – Friendly & World Cup Qualifier

Stefan Johansen (Norway) – World Cup Qualifier

Tomas Kalas (Czech Republic) – Friendly & World Cup Qualifier

Neeskens Kebano (Congo) - Friendly

Chris Martin (Scotland) – Friendly & World Cup Qualifier

Any additional call-ups will be detailed on fulhamfc.com in due course.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/13/cairneys-call-up

WhiteJC

Fulham look great value to go up – just as we called back in August

If there was ever a perfect time to find some form and gather momentum, then this would be it. With just 10 games left to play in the Championship, Fulham look excellent value to make the play-offs – and if they do that, we'd fancy them to go all the way and return to the Premier League.

It's something we picked up on after just two games this season, too.

Before a ball was kicked in this campaign, the Cottagers were 11/1 shots for promotion. Within a week those odds had been slashed to 7s, and they're now just 11/4.

That's because they currently sit in seventh-place in the division, two points behind Sheffield Wednesday in sixth.

But Slavisia Jokanovic's men have a game in hand over the Owls, meaning they could climb into the top six this week for the first time since mid-September.

That would stand them in good stead for one final push between now and May.

What's even more impressive is that Fulham have been taking points from the big boys in the division, and the fixture list has been kind to them as they will face only three sides currently in the top eight in their remaining 10 games this season.

In fact, their record against the current top five in the division is certainly one to be admired.

They've taken 14 points from a possible 27 against the leading quintet in the Championship – that includes 5-0 drubbings of both Huddersfield Town and Reading, and a double over league leaders Newcastle United.

Only Brighton have lost fewer games than the Cottagers this season, while they'd be sitting second in the table behind only Huddersfield if the season began at the turn of the year.

A minor blip between early September and late October saw the west London outfit slide down to 14th in the table. But since then, Jokanovic's side have been one of the best teams in the league on paper.

Bear in mind that this has all been achieved without two of last season's key players.

Between them, Moussa Dembele and Ross McCormack netted a staggering 36 of Fulham's 66 league goals and were without any doubt one of the deadliest duos in the division. The former has since moved to Celtic, while the latter signed for Aston Villa but is now on-loan at Championship strugglers Nottingham Forest.

Plenty of Fulham's current crop have stepped up to the plate though, with eight players registering four or more goals this season (compared to just four last time out).

With that in mind, the Cottagers would certainly head into next season confident of lifting the Championship trophy – were they to miss out on promotion this time around.

But we're not going to go and put a dampener on proceedings.

The play-offs are certainly a realistic goal for this side this season. Once there, anything is possible. But the way things are going at Craven Cottage, not many will be backing against them returning to the top-flight.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing

http://news.ladbrokes.com/football/championship/fulham-look-great-value-to-go-up-just-as-we-called-back-in-august.html

WhiteJC

Level Playing Field

Fulham Football Club is pleased to support the 2017 Level Playing Field (LPF) Weeks of Action. This annual initiative, now in its 12th year, aims to celebrate access and inclusion for disabled sports fans across England and Wales.

Disabled people constitute the largest minority group at around 15 per cent of the population, and this number is increasing year on year. We are pleased to take this opportunity to thank our fans for their ongoing support, and to show our appreciation for those staff  - the 'Game Changers' - who play a role in making Fulham FC matches inclusive and accessible.

This year we are celebrating the 'Game Changers' that make a big difference to the matchday experience of our disabled fans. We want to shine a light on those who lead and pioneer change that improves access and inclusion, and in many cases changing the lives of disabled people.

During half-time at the Fulham v Blackburn Rovers fixture, the Fulham Badgers will take to the pitch at Craven Cottage. Fulham FC were the first London club to launch a Down's Syndrome football team, which celebrated its 10 year anniversary in October 2016.

The success of the Fulham Badgers would not be possible without the support of the participants, their parents and Fulham FC Foundation who deliver meaningful DS sport provision across South and South-West London. Speaking of the programme, Jamie Brown, Disability Officer at Fulham FC Foundation, said: "Our DS model has now been replicated across other clubs, and our programme has gone from strength to strength, running football and a tennis projects across multiple age groups.

"The programme aims to provide opportunities for young people with Down's Syndrome to participate in sport in a safe and controlled environment. The sessions also have health and social benefits, helping to improve physical fitness and wellbeing as well as providing opportunities to interact with new people, develop social skills, build relationships and make new friends. In 2016, 578 young people with disabilities were engaged in FFCF's disability programmes."

This Weeks of Action campaign we are joining together with sports clubs, fans and organisations across England and Wales to celebrate the #GameChangers who make a difference for disabled football fans and to promote a message of access and inclusion for all.

If you would like more information regarding the DS programme and our extended disability provisions, please email [email protected].

For more information about Level Playing Field (LPF) and this year's Weeks of Action, please visit www.levelplayingfield.org.uk, email [email protected], or call 0208 621 2403.

Alternatively you may wish to send a message of support to @lpftweets on Twitter using the hashtag #GameChangers

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/13/level-playing-field

WhiteJC

Could Fulham be back in the Premier League after stunning 3-1 win at Newcastle United?

After a cracking weekend of Championship footballing action, result of the day had to go to Fulham, who stunned league leaders Newcastle United with a 3-1 away win at St James' Park.

The Toon, who have been leading the way for most of the campaign, were silenced by a proficient and confident-looking Fulham side, who proved why they've been floating around the play-offs for most of the campaign.

Slavisa Jokanovic certainly had a game plan in mind when he took his players north for the crunch tie against the Magpies but he wouldn't have expected such a good display, spearheaded by the seriously talented Ryan Sessegnon.

He's a player that continues to grow in market value after another fantastic performance and he'll certainly be one to watch as the Cottagers continue their march up the table.

And with Reading losing to fellow play-off chasers Preston North End on Saturday, we could be set for a very exciting end to the season indeed with plenty of teams still buzzing around the top-six.

But what we do know is that if Fulham can maintain this level of form going into some very winnable games over the past couple of weeks.

They host Blackburn next week before welcoming Wolves to Craven Cottage the week after. They then travel to making repetitive replies that aren't funny!  Rotherham, who lost again this weekend who seem like a dead cert to face the drop if things continue in this stead.

So with some seriously exciting times ahead for Jokanovic and his players, who seem to be well up for the promotion challenge, could we see Fulham back in the Premier League next season if they do ghost into the top six?

Well, if we do see them turn out at Wembley, you can beat plenty of sides won't fancy coming up against them either.

This is a side that cruised against the supposed "best" side in the division. Impressive stuff indeed.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/could-fulham-be-back-in-the-premier-league-after-stunning-3-1-win-at-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Should Newcastle United Go For This Fulham Star In The Summer Transfer Window?

Newcastle failed to open up a lead as they faltered miserably at St. James' Park last weekend to a rejuvenated Fulham side. The Cottagers bulldozed past Rafael Benitez's men and earned a scintillating 1-3 win to reclassify themselves as promotion hopefuls. However, in constructing the Geordies into a fearsome outfit once again, Benitez got a perfect glimpse of a talismanic midfielder whom he should pursue once the curtains of the summer transfer window get lifted.

Tom Cairney found himself comprehensively marked by the black and white crop in their last outing but he somehow managed to create acres of spaces and chipped in with a goal apart from vehemently troubling the Newcastle United backline time and again.

The former Real Madrid gaffer was thoroughly invested in the idea of bringing Cairney under his ranks in the transfer window which transpired in January but failed to get the deal across the line. Nonetheless, his interest made perfect sense.

The 26-year-old is a left-sided playmaker who might not possess the fastest of legs but he nullifies his drawback in a shrewd manner by capitalising on the intelligent football brain of his. He pulls the strings in a sensational manner, making precise movements on and off the ball, has the ability to maintain the decorum of his style of play under pressure and makes the opponents' defence go haywire with his creative abilities. A perfect utility player through and through, the former Blackburn Rovers man would fit perfectly under Benitez's regime.

Under the notable tutelage of Slavisa Jokanovic, Cairney has thrived quite well and has cemented his spot in the starting line-up, courtesy of his calibre, week in and week out. In a total of 34 appearances in the Championship this term, he has notched up 34 appearances for Fulham, during which he has bagged 9 goals, created as many as 95 chances and has also registered 7 assists to his name to maintain his stronghold as a player who has only seen an upward rise in his career's trajectory.

What is much more intriguing is the way he has managed to knit the London-based outfit together. Cairney boasts of a pass accuracy of 92% which is simply phenomenal, to say the least. Benitez would be keen to bolster the quality of his midfield, for an uplift to the Premier League appears to be seemingly likely for the Magpies, and Cairney does fit the bill quite well.

http://the4thofficial.net/2017/03/newcastle-united-go-fulham-star-summer-transfer-window/

WhiteJC

What happens now for Derby County's Chris Martin?

The on loan Fulham striker's future has been thrown into doubt with Steve McClaren's sacking.

Fulham's Chris Martin celebrates scoring their first goal

Derby County striker Chris Martin's future at Pride Park has gone from being incredibly secure to highly unstable within 24 hours following the sacking of Steve McClaren.

The Scotland international, currently on loan at Fulham, refused to play for his temporary club and demanded a move back to Pride Park in January as McClaren was there, according to the Telegraph.

Martin then signed a new contract at Derby, on the basis he'd be an integral member of McClaren's side, with both McClaren and Martin waxing lyrical about each other, as reported by the Derby County official website.

Now McClaren's been sacked, Martin's in limbo all over again as he waits to see whether incoming manager Gary Rowett, as reported by the Telegraph, will include the 28-year-old in his plans or not.

The likelihood of Fulham keeping Martin beyond his loan spell - whether they achieve promotion to the Premier League or not - was always going to be unlikely given Martin's behaviour at Craven Cottage, leaving everything up in the air.

Now McClaren has been sacked however, if Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham do get promoted, expect some serious back-peddling from Martin.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/13/what-happens-now-for-derby-countys-chris-martin/

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney to arrest Scotland's slump

Tom Cairney is the heartbeat of his side. His craft, guile, and fight have led Fulham to 7th in the table, and two points off 6th. It was about time he received a call-up to the national team.

It has been an extremely underwhelming start to World Cup qualification for Gordon Strachan's Scotland. One win in four – that against a woeful Malta – has left them languishing in fifth place. They are behind Lithuania, Slovenia and Slovakia. They were thumped 3-0 by England back in November, and suffered a demoralising 3-0 loss at Slovakia, and drew a must-win match against Lithuania, at home.

It simply isn't good enough for a nation with rich footballing history. Scotland has cut a static, lethargic and enthused outfit on several occasions under Strachan, desperately craving a spark. The Tartan Army need a player capable of winning matches: at international level, that makes all the difference.

Wales, with superstar Gareth Bale will always have a match-winner on the pitch. There is always the potential that they will clinch three points, even if they aren't playing well. An inviting cross by the Welshman led to an own-goal in their round of 16 victory over Northern Ireland – up until that point, Wales had not played particularly well, but that moment of pure quality was enough to see them reach the quarter-finals.

Of course, Cairney is not in the same category as Bale – one plies his trade at the biggest club in the World, whilst the other plies his trade at Fulham – but Cairney is made of the same winning fibres.

He has nine goals and nine assists in the league this season; can score vital goals, but also turn provider. Tom Cairney is equally gifted and this balance is needed at Scotland.

The Scottish boss knows this, it seems. Speaking after his press conference, he said this of the 26-year-old:

"Tom Cairney was the best man on the pitch at St James' Park (a 3-1 win for Fulham), but that was no surprise – he has been the best man on the pitch on many occasions"

And it's true. Cairney has been one of the best players in the Championship this season.

With Scotland suffering from a chronic shortage of genuinely attacking gifted players, Cairney has the potential to fill this void and become the goal-scorer and playmaker Strachan covets.

Scotland host Canada in a friendly, followed by a crucial match against Slovenia. If Scotland can clinch three points against Slovenia, they will trail them by just one point: Slovenia currently sit second in the table. Lose, however, and the gap between themselves and Slovenia becomes seven points. Such margins are seldom recovered in international football.

All is not lost, currently, for Scotland. They still have the potential to sneak their way into a play-off spot. But, they must win against Slovenia. And if they must win, Strachan must select players who possess the necessary qualities to win matches.

Tom Cairney has never been capped at senior level. If he is given that first cap against Canada, and if his second comes against Slovenia, he could be the difference between a World Cup campaign that is beginning to pick up momentum and yet another disappointing failure for the Scots.

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/2017/03/14/tom-cairney-arrest-scotlands-slump/

WhiteJC

Burton Want Fulham`s Woodrow on a Permanent Basis

With it having been decided that our England U21 striker, Cauley Woodrow, was surplus to requirements, the twenty-two year-old was sent out on loan to our fellow Championship side, Burton Albion.

Today, it is being reported in the inner sports pages of The Sun that Cauley has made a decent impression at the club managed by Nigel Clough.

Our source is of the opinion that Burton Albion are now looking to sign the striker on a permanent basis.

A fee of £750,000 is being mentioned as a possible enticement for the deal to be completed this summer.

Since joining Burton Albion, on loan, in January, Woodrow has made 8 appearances and netted on 3 occasions.

It remains to be seen whether Burton Albion and Fulham can seal a deal, but we`ll endeavour to keep a watchful eye out for any further information relating to this piece of transfer speculation.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=484090#ixzz4bJBbbOVk

WhiteJC

Revealed: Wonderkid tracked by Tottenham for three years signs pre-contract

Highly rated Fulham wonderkid Ryan Sessegnon has signed a pre-contract with the club, Football Insider sources understand.

Sessegnon is still on a scholarship contract at the Championship outfit and cannot pen a professional deal until he turns 17 in May.

But Fulham have moved to protect themselves from the Premier League big hitters queuing up to land the brilliant teenage left-back for a bargain price.

A source close to the situation has told Football Insider that Sessegnon has already penned a pre-contract with the west Londoners stipulating that he will sign a formal professional agreement at the earliest opportunity, which will be his birthday on 18 May.

Super clubs Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Tottenham, Manchester City and Bayern Munich are interested in signing the left-sided flyer this summer.

The pre-contract will give Fulham greater negotiating should the big guns still come calling in the next transfer window.

The source told Football Insider that Spurs have been closely tracking Sessegnon since he was 14 but they have been unable to prise him from Craven Cottage.

The youngster, who can play at both left-back and on the left wing, has made huge strides this season as well as demonstrating a rare eye for goal from a full-back.

He has scored six goals in the campaign, including two in Fulham's stunning 3-1 win at Newcastle last Saturday, and also weighed in with three assists, remarkable tallies for a player who is not only foremost a defender but also one who is so young.

Fulham have an excellent reputation for developing young players, with Celtic's Moussa Dembele and Manchester City's Patrick Roberts among those who have graduated from one of the most impressive academies in English football.

Football Insider verdict:

Ridiculously talented and precocious? Yes. Destined for the top? Absolutely. Assuming his body stays strong, there appears no limit to what Sessegnon can achieve. Fulham have known for some time they have a remarkable young player on their hands and the big boys have been beating a path to the Cottage to try and persuade the youngster to up sticks. It will take the promise of big cash for Fulham to cave in. History tells us they eventually will – the Dembele and Roberts exits are proof of that – but a huge sum could first pass hands.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/revealed-wonderkid-tracked-by-tottenham-for-three-years-signs-

WhiteJC

Tuesday night proves nothing set in stone for Newcastle United in the Championship

The Fulham match and result on Tuesday night can only confuse Newcastle United fans even further.

Newcastle United fans watched Fulham embarrass the home side on Saturday.

The 1-3 scoreline didn't really tell the proper story, the visitors were far far better than that.

Once Fulham scored after 15 minutes, Newcastle were chasing shadows and looked clueless as to how to get back into the match.

ast forward to Tuesday night and the Cottagers were playing third bottom Blackburn at home.

This being their game in hand which if they followed up the Newcastle victory with another win, would see them at last break into the play-off places after their recent excellent results made them the form team of the Championship.

So basically, massive incentives for Fulham to get the three points.

Taking the lead on 45 minutes that was surely going to set them on their way, only for Blackburn to equalise on 79 minutes.

Back came Fulham and with four minutes of normal time remaining they made it 2-1, then watched as Blackburn grabbed a devastating second equaliser in the 94th minute.

The thing is though, this was no fluke.

Whilst it was Fulham who dominated the first half, unlike Newcastle on Saturday it was Blackburn who rallied and showed the better in the second half.  The match ended with Blackburn having more shots (13 v 12) and more efforts on target (6 v 4).

Betting on football matches in the Championship should surely carry a financial health warning.

Slavisa Jokanovic speaking ahead of last night's Blackburn match::

"Yesterday Barcelona didn't win against Deportivo La Coruna after their great win against PSG.

"We cannot compare these levels but we must be focused on our job.

"We can't relax and make some kind of mistakes.

"It is a tricky game for us (against Blackburn) and we must forget our last game (win over Newcastle) and think only about what is in front of us."

Newcastle United's next three matches are against relegation strugglers and anybody who was expecting an easy nine points against Birmingham, Wigan and Burton need to be warned.

It is easy to look and think the following two matches against promotion chasing Sheff Wed and Leeds will be the tough games but in this crazy division nothing is certain.

What is certain is that the likes of Burton and Wigan are fighting for their lives and have everything to play for when they come to St James Park.

Hopefully our tactics are to get at them from the first minute and the players show they are up for it far more than they did on Saturday.

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/03/tuesday-night-proves-nothing-set-stone-newcastle-united-championship/

WhiteJC

Gordan Strachan praises Fulham's Tom Cairney ahead of his first call-up to Scotland squad
The 26-year-old was called up to the senior squad last week and Scotland boss Strachan had some good things to say about the Fulham man

Gordon Strachan has praised Fulham's Tom Cairney ahead of his first call-up to the senior Scotland squad next weekend.

The 26-year-old was called up the squad for the first time for their friendly against Canada at Easter Road on March 22 and their World Cup qualifier against Slovenia on March 26 at Hampden Park.

Cairney has previously represented Scotland at U19 and U21 level, making his debut at U21 level against Sweden and going on to play six times.

Scotland currently sit in fifth position in Group F having won once, drawn once and lost twice, six points off England who top the table.

Speaking about Cairney, Strachan said: "Tom Cairney was the best man on the pitch at St James' Park, but that was no surprise, he has been the best man on the pitch on many occasions."

Chris Martin has also been called up to the Scotland squad for the two games.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gordan-strachan-praises-fulhams-tom-12744715

WhiteJC

Ex-Manchester United youngster Ryan Tunnicliffe wanted by host of Championship clubs as Fulham prepare to release midfielder on free

Ryan Tunnicliffe is currently on loan at Wigan Athletic from Fulham
    Midfielder has struggled for games and Fulham are willing to release him
    A clutch of Championship clubs, plus Rangers, have shown an interest
    Tunnicliffe was part of the Manchester United Youth Cup-winning team in 2011

A host of Championship clubs are interested in signing Ryan Tunnicliffe, currently on loan at Wigan Athletic.

The 24-year-old is out of contract at Fulham this summer and available on a free transfer.

Bought from Manchester United for £1.2million back in January 2014, Tunnicliffe was part of the same FA Youth Cup winning side as Paul Pogba, Ravel Morrison and Jesse Lingard in 2011 and won the club's Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year award.

Ryan Tunnicliffe in action with Juan Mata when Wigan played his old club Manchester United in the fourth round of the FA Cup at Old Trafford

Tunnicliffe (left) with Jesse Lingard, Paul Pogba and Ravel Morrison with the Youth Cup in 2011

Reading, Huddersfield, Brentford, QPR, Ipswich, Cardiff and Nottingham Forest have all shown an interest while Wigan will also consider making his loan move permanent.

Tunnicliffe, who has also been considered by Rangers in the Scottish Premiership, has over 150 Championship games under his belt and can play across the midfield.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4316508/Ex-Manchester-United-youngster-Ryan-Tunnicliffe-sale.html#ixzz4bTHjCUkx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

How much longer can Fulham keep hold of Ryan Sessegnon?
SAM WALLACE
CHIEF FOOTBALL WRITER

Ryan Sessegnon is a wanted man CREDIT: REX FEATURES

Whatever he goes on to achieve in his career, Ryan Sessegnon will always be the 21st-century man of English football, the first player in the professional game born after the turn of the millennium to score a goal in one of the top four divisions – although that should be just the beginning.

It has been a remarkable season for Fulham's 16-year-old left-sided player who had arguably his greatest impact yet on Saturday with two goals against the Championship leaders Newcastle United at St James' Park.

That was the moment that will have forced many to take notice but already Sessegnon was playing in his 23rd game of his debut season, and took his goals total to six.

Sessegnon has a twin brother Steven in the Fulham academy, a right-footed defender, already in the club's under-23s team. The two of them played together for England Under-16s in the Nike Cup in November 2015 when Steven sustained a knee injury that briefly stalled his progress.

In the meantime, Ryan has established himself in Fulham's first team as well as playing above his peer group with England Under-19s.

Two brothers born in Roehampton in south west London to French parents and thriving at their local club, which also has one of the best academies for producing young footballers – so far, so good. But the Sessegnon boys are no longer a secret and already Ryan's goals at the weekend have prompted the usual questions. Will it be Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur or Manchester United who make an offer he cannot refuse?

That is how the story so often ends for the best young players in the country, most commonly at Chelsea and Manchester City, who have dominated development football in recent years and are in the FA Youth Cup semi-finals again this month. It is a question that goes to the heart of the game: how to put the boys' long-term interests first, amid an arms race for young talent among the top clubs who have a tendency to stockpile players?

The Sessegnons cannot sign a professional contract until they turn 17 on May 18 but already have a heads of agreement with Fulham for four-year deals to begin on their birthday and the club are naturally eager to protect assets into which they have put so much faith and resources. Fulham are also offering a well-trodden route from academy to first team, which the likes of City and Chelsea cannot promise.

Under their academy director Huw Jennings, who played a key role bringing through Theo Walcott and Gareth Bale at Southampton, Fulham have thrived as a category one academy, the highest ranking under the Elite Player Performance Plan that governs development football. The problem is that they are losing their players earlier than ever, and not all are going on to play first-team football.

Patrick Roberts, 20, came to Fulham from AFC Wimbledon aged 13, was sold to Manchester City in the summer of 2015 and is now a regular on loan at Celtic. The United States international Emerson Hyndman, 20, was sold to Bournemouth last summer and in now on loan in the Scottish Premiership at Rangers.

Moussa Dembélé, picked up from Paris St-Germain aged 16, is a different case in that he played more than 70 first-team games for Fulham until he was sold to Celtic last summer and is now valued at upwards of £30 million.

Realistically, even if they return to the Premier League, Fulham will always sell their very best talent, but when they do so is critical. Losing first-team players is one thing, but the trade in academy boys is quite another, and the more that certain clubs use their financial power to attract these players under the EPPP tariff system, the less incentive there is for good clubs to produce good prospects.

The Premier League is investigating four transfers between category one-rated academies that it has so far refused to sign off because of allegations that inducements have been offered. Last summer the clubs with category one academies, of which there are 24 across the Premier League and Championship, agreed to a five-point protocol for the transfer of boys between their clubs.

The Premier League is now regularly sending lawyers to the homes of academy players to question parents about the details of their sons' transfers, and obtain signed declarations that rules on inducements have not been broken. It is the necessary, albeit absurd, consequence of a game so awash with money that parents of the most promising seven and eight-year-old players are being offered by one club "welfare support" expenses of around £1,200 a month to ensure their loyalty.

Unfortunately it is no longer simply about the development of the boys, or just an effective youth policy – given how few make it into the first teams of the top clubs. Rather it is a business transaction with big budgets at the disposal of the wealthiest clubs, and recruiters told to do what it takes.

Of course, the top players have always eventually ended up at the top clubs with very few exceptions. The difference being that many of the leading players even of our recent past – from Bryan Robson and John Barnes to Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney – did so having established themselves in the first teams of their origin clubs, and earned good transfer fees when they did leave.

Nowadays, recruitment by big clubs is a mine-sweeping exercise with clubs calculating that a drag-net of 20 boys makes more financial sense than having to pay £30 million for one of that group once he is an established first-team player elsewhere. Whether it is best for the boys is debatable.

There are more coming through at Fulham, including the England Under-18s Tayo Edun and Dennis Adeniran, and they will watch what choices the Sessegnons with interest. It would feel right if Ryan and Steven were at least to finish their teenage years at the institution that has nourished them, and in familiar surroundings – as you might wish for any young adult, footballer or not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/15/much-longer-can-fulham-keep-hold-ryan-sessegnon/

WhiteJC

Why Tottenham should not mind if Ryan Sessegnon opts for Fulham stay

Tottenham Hotspur have reportedly been keeping a very close eye on the Fulham youngster.

Even before his two-goal haul against Newcastle United earlier this month, Fulham youngster Ryan Sessegnon was generating column inches at an impressive rate.

According to a recent report from the Daily Mail, Tottenham Hotspur are keen to tie up a deal for the 16-year-old full-back-cum-winger in the summer, but if the teenager opts to continue his development at Craven Cottage, Spurs should not be overly disappointed.

At first glance, missing out on the exciting left-back would be a hammer blow to a Tottenham side whose fans still cannot quite believe they failed to bring Moussa Dembele to White Hart Lane prior to his Celtic switch.

But provided Sessegnon stays where he is, Tottenham can quietly keep monitoring his situation and potentially benefit from his prolonged stay at the Cottagers.

Tottenham are well stocked at left-back right now, with Danny Rose the undisputed number one and Ben Davies impressing in the England international's recent absence.

It could be argued that Spurs would benefit from playing Sessegnon further forward, but wingers are notoriously hit-and-miss when it comes to form and, at just 16, it would be unfair to expect too much too soon of Sessegnon.

It would be far better if he stays at Fulham, develops his game and comes to Tottenham when he is older.

Of course securing a deal will be paramount for Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino, yet as long as the youngster does not have eyes for someone else, a little longer at his current club could be best for all concerned.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/16/why-tottenham-should-not-mind-if-ryan-sessegnon-opts-for-fulham/