News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Finally calmed down enough to watch the highlights and...

Started by JoelH5, March 19, 2017, 10:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelH5

Sessengon is a shocking defender.

We can't play him LB again.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

ChesterTheTabby

I mean he's a 16 year old young man against adults on professional contracts, what were you doing at 16? Whatever it was, I hope no one was telling you that you were shockingly bad at it and to never try it again. He is a kid, he needs to develope, his talent is raw, and his position(s) can change.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

From what I've seen of him, I think his best position is buzzing around, it's surprising that he's attracted so
much attention as a full back.

What was I doing at 16 ?
Playing lots of football, working, clubbing, chatting up girls, smoking, drinking and a few 'bobs' as well  :0)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

BedsFFC

He's been with us since he was 9. He is a local boy.

His talent and potential is mind-blowing. As I understand it, he is a great lad from a lovely family.

Being 16 years old, I imagine he will take a look occasionally to see what is being said about him.

How a Fulham fan can publicly state that is beyond me.

He should be playing academy football. In fact, he has jumped past that, the u18's and the Premier development squad and is playing top end championship football at 16 and played u19 football for England at 15 years old.

It is so rare these days to have a local lad playing for you, let alone the hottest prospect young player in the world

We have a manager that trusts him and is letting him make mistakes. Thats how you get better.

We had other very recent managers who didn't trust our young talent. All those good players have know gone.

063.gif

snarks

He didn't have his best game, but he's a fantastic talent, and if Slav sees fit to pick him at LB then that's fine for me.

ffc73

Quote from: Statto on March 20, 2017, 12:06:51 AM
Got mixed views about this.

I thought he looked out of his depth v Blackburn and should have gone off (instead of Malone) when Martin came on, and I don't think he should have started v Wolves.

But I agree with BedsFFC and others the wording of the OP is a bit harsh.

As it happens I think aspects of his defensive game are very good, in particular there were several times v Blackburn where he used his pace to really mug the ball off decent, experienced players and leave them looking foolish and plodding. All he lacks is strength and a bit of defensive sense. In all those respects he's like Fredericks, the key difference being that he's 8 years younger and unlike Fredericks, has plenty of time to develop the weaker parts of his game.

So yes it's fair to say he's looked out of depth at times this week but no more so than our right back, who probably happens to be one of the top few right backs in the league overall. So some context required.

Also IMO the manager has shown bad judgment and over-exposed him this week, like Magath did with some others a few years ago.

This is how I see it. I will also add that I think Mowbrey & Lambert had done their homework on us and deliberately targeted our full backs & especially the space they leave when playing more like wing backs &/or wingers

toshes mate

At sixteen I was working in a supermarket to finance a college place that never happened.  I was shockingly good at stacking shelves and shockingly poor on the tills. 

Ryan Sessegnon is a hugely talented young person playing a game at sixteen years of age in a way that many playing in their peak years would give their eye teeth to do.  The match against Blackburn followed the high of St James' Park and I can still recall how up I could get at sixteen years of age when something good happened, and how quickly you learn how somebody older will come along and cut you down a peg or two when it happens.  Neither fullbacks defended well against Blackburn, and in the match against Wolves we were exposed on both left and right flanks constantly.  I put it down to mental fatigue throughout the team (with a few, but too few, exceptions), and Sessegnon still drawing on his youthful fountain.  It's a team game, and it is the team who failed no matter what individuals did or didn't do.  Wolves were better than us and Blackburn were probably entitled to feel the point was a poor return.   You could have played an experienced world class defender in place of Sessegnon and it wouldn't have made a jot of a difference.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: FFC73 on March 20, 2017, 07:51:36 AM
Quote from: Statto on March 20, 2017, 12:06:51 AM
Got mixed views about this.

I thought he looked out of his depth v Blackburn and should have gone off (instead of Malone) when Martin came on, and I don't think he should have started v Wolves.

But I agree with BedsFFC and others the wording of the OP is a bit harsh.

As it happens I think aspects of his defensive game are very good, in particular there were several times v Blackburn where he used his pace to really mug the ball off decent, experienced players and leave them looking foolish and plodding. All he lacks is strength and a bit of defensive sense. In all those respects he's like Fredericks, the key difference being that he's 8 years younger and unlike Fredericks, has plenty of time to develop the weaker parts of his game.

So yes it's fair to say he's looked out of depth at times this week but no more so than our right back, who probably happens to be one of the top few right backs in the league overall. So some context required.

Also IMO the manager has shown bad judgment and over-exposed him this week, like Magath did with some others a few years ago.

This is how I see it. I will also add that I think Mowbrey & Lambert had done their homework on us and deliberately targeted our full backs & especially the space they leave when playing more like wing backs &/or wingers

Yes, I think that both managers outfoxed, out manourved and out thought Jok on those two occasions, and got their tactics right. They were able to set their stall out easierly as we are more than a little predictable.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JoelH5

I'm not saying he's a bad player - far from it. I'm not even saying he shouldn't play - just not as LB.

He's a liability. He's great going forward and really exciting to watch but this isn't the time of the year to be trying to develop players.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Fulham76

Quote from: JoelH5 on March 20, 2017, 08:53:08 AM
I'm not saying he's a bad player - far from it. I'm not even saying he shouldn't play - just not as LB.

He's a liability. He's great going forward and really exciting to watch but this isn't the time of the year to be trying to develop players.

I doubt he'll be a LB for much longer.

Personally I think he's better going forward than he is at defending & his 'regular' position will be on the wing rather than LB.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Fulham76 on March 20, 2017, 09:30:19 AM
Quote from: JoelH5 on March 20, 2017, 08:53:08 AM

I doubt he'll be a LB for much longer.

Personally I think he's better going forward than he is at defending & his 'regular' position will be on the wing rather than LB.
You beat me to it. I can see him playing on the wing. With his pace, he can terrify defenders. My only concern is when he gets tackled in the box, who the hell will take the Penalties??
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Bill2

Something this going lad has also got which I didn't see mentioned is a cracking shot, his second at Newcastle like others he has scored was fantastic. Personally I think he is the best striker of the ball we have, I am struggling to remember one he has put into row z. They are normally on target and if not goals require good save from the keeper..

Yes he made some mistakes defending, but he will learn and when he fills out a bit and becomes stronger I don't think opposition will get such gifts as he made on Saturday.

To be honest I am more interested in the England team he will be playing in this week than the full side, I saw a picture of him in the England kit and he was wearing the captains armband.

toshes mate

Quote from: Bill2 on March 20, 2017, 12:13:26 PM
Something this going lad has also got which I didn't see mentioned is a cracking shot, his second at Newcastle like others he has scored was fantastic. Personally I think he is the best striker of the ball we have, I am struggling to remember one he has put into row z. They are normally on target and if not goals require good save from the keeper..

Yes he made some mistakes defending, but he will learn and when he fills out a bit and becomes stronger I don't think opposition will get such gifts as he made on Saturday.

To be honest I am more interested in the England team he will be playing in this week than the full side, I saw a picture of him in the England kit and he was wearing the captains armband.

I actually think it is a really nice headache for SJ to know where to play him to get the best from his play.  He is quick, has fast feet and the confidence to have a successful go at most anything he tries.  As you say experience and physical growth will mature him into something we have yet to understand or be able to rate in real terms.  All players make mistakes and that is how some of them get better and better at their overall game.   He has me as a committed follower.

filham

We are lucky to have a young talent like Sessegnon but just now his lack of experience at left back has be exploited by a couple of Championship managers. Rest assured he will now be targeted by every club up to the end of the season.
Malone must be our left back for all of the remaining games with Sessegnon on the bench ready to come on as a wide left impact sub.

Chutney

He's 16. This is a ridiculous post, Helder Costa has given many full backs a tough time this season.

C O Y W

BedsFFC

Quote from: Chutney on March 20, 2017, 02:49:41 PM
He's 16. This is a ridiculous post, Helder Costa has given many full backs a tough time this season.

Apparently this is not a time to develop players.

MJG

[/quote]
Quote from: BedsFFC on March 20, 2017, 02:58:51 PM
Quote from: Chutney on March 20, 2017, 02:49:41 PM

Apparently this is not a time to develop players.
So the question would be when is?

Keynsham

nose

sess is brilliant but 16 and sometimes it shows
I am not sure LB is his best position but I don't think he is a forward either.
Against wolves he had a stinker and they (wolves) were clearly targeting him
i think we have handled him well so far and hope that continues, I did think malone should have started the wolves game as he should most of the games until the end of the season.

MikeW

This is where we hope the manager uses his experience.  Malone is no bad player but he's also a hardened pro and as a straight out defender he will do more of a job than Ryan at this time where the pressure is on.  Lovely problem to have but just now I'd go with Malone and use Ryan off the bench where is speed and youthful exuberance could be strategically used.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."