News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Finally calmed down enough to watch the highlights and...

Started by JoelH5, March 19, 2017, 10:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinfromga

Quote from: MikeW on March 20, 2017, 03:48:11 PM
This is where we hope the manager uses his experience.  Malone is no bad player but he's also a hardened pro and as a straight out defender he will do more of a job than Ryan at this time where the pressure is on.  Lovely problem to have but just now I'd go with Malone and use Ryan off the bench where is speed and youthful exuberance could be strategically used.

I disagree.  I think Malone is a worse defender than Sess.  Malone is constantly out of position and late to get back.  Sess has had a couple bad games but at 16 that's to be expected.  Malone has had multiple seasons of poor defending.

IMO we need to just live with it.  The manager wants fullbacks who play high up the pitch.  I think the style we play defending is always going to be a secondary concern, even for defenders.  Personally I'd prefer to see Odoi at RB over Fredericks but the manager wants something else.

Sess has shown a wonderful nose for goal and he can play a better cross than Malone.  I think today Sess is the better player in every way and ID expect him to get the majority of minutes the rest of the way in.

JoelH5

Quote from: Keynsham on March 20, 2017, 03:16:59 PM
Just calmed down enough?  Are you 4 years old?

Sorry grandad. I get passionate about my football. Don't worry, I won't wake you up next time we score ;)
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Madman Maddle

Malone is the much better defender right now, which isn't surprising given his experience in this league and Sessegnon's age. The great thing about Malone is that he's been decent going forward too, which really nobody could expect. He brings lots of pace, energy and work rate down the left wing. It doesn't always look pretty, but his crosses and long shots are decent too. Watching our opponents' left backs, it's evident that Malone is one of the most complete left backs in the Championship right now.

Jokane found the right mix between Malone and Sessegnon until a few weeks ago. Then he got too cute, although I like the option of Malone AND Sessegnon in our starting XI. Should we sneak into the playoffs, I'd rather see Malone at left back.

Sessegnon isn't the best defender and will probably never be. That's just the direction the game of football is heading. Young Gareth Bale wasn't a great defender. David Alaba isn't a great defender either. But they offer so much going forward, and put so much stress on a defense, that it outweighs their deficits. As for playing Sessegnon as a winger, he can undoubtedly do it at a high level, but he is much more dangerous when overlapping from behind. Wingers are dime a dozen. Kebano, Ayite, Aluko are among the best in the league. But it's really hard to find a left back that has great technical ability. Most PL clubs don't even have a decent left back. It's arguably the thinnest position in football - hence the reason why Sessegnon is so highlty regarded.

BedsFFC

Quote from: Madman Maddle on March 21, 2017, 04:45:59 PM
Malone is the much better defender right now, which isn't surprising given his experience in this league and Sessegnon's age. The great thing about Malone is that he's been decent going forward too, which really nobody could expect. He brings lots of pace, energy and work rate down the left wing. It doesn't always look pretty, but his crosses and long shots are decent too. Watching our opponents' left backs, it's evident that Malone is one of the most complete left backs in the Championship right now.

Jokane found the right mix between Malone and Sessegnon until a few weeks ago. Then he got too cute, although I like the option of Malone AND Sessegnon in our starting XI. Should we sneak into the playoffs, I'd rather see Malone at left back.

Sessegnon isn't the best defender and will probably never be. That's just the direction the game of football is heading. Young Gareth Bale wasn't a great defender. David Alaba isn't a great defender either. But they offer so much going forward, and put so much stress on a defense, that it outweighs their deficits. As for playing Sessegnon as a winger, he can undoubtedly do it at a high level, but he is much more dangerous when overlapping from behind. Wingers are dime a dozen. Kebano, Ayite, Aluko are among the best in the league. But it's really hard to find a left back that has great technical ability. Most PL clubs don't even have a decent left back. It's arguably the thinnest position in football - hence the reason why Sessegnon is so highlty regarded.

Good post

JoelH5

Quote from: BedsFFC on March 21, 2017, 09:51:44 PM
Quote from: Madman Maddle on March 21, 2017, 04:45:59 PM

Good post

Completely agree. I should have said he's a poor defender from a defensive point of view which sounds obvious but you're right. He's a great attacking defender but I feel we are way too fragile at the back recently and therefore Malone should play at LB
I was there, standing in the Putney end

westcliff white

i dont understand how one player can be singled out for critiscism here, the last two games have been about the team performance not one player.

Do we only win when one player does well? has that player been singled out every time we have one.

Every day is a Fulham day