Author Topic: What would happen to most of us if we ran out of steam at work ?  (Read 638 times)

Offline rogerpinvirginia

• The Bard/Corked Hat
  • I AM POINTING A PEN AT THE CAMERA THAT TOOK THIS
    • Theatre Production
Sorry, I don't get this "poor performances due to running out of steam and pressure"
It should be the opposite with adrenalin flowing and the potential sense of achievement that
few of us could hope to attain.

"Oh, Hi Rog, what have you been up to lately"
"Not a lot, John, except I'm playing at Wembley in a couple weeks and hopefully will be playing in
the Premiership next season at Old Trafford, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc"
"Oh, good for you Rog, anything else happening. How's the family"  ?
"They're fine, I'll be looking into buying houses in Tring and Mallorca if we go up, in cash"
"Also get the boys off to Stowe, give them a bloody good start like what Richard Branson, Roger Hodgson
and HSH Prince Rainier III of Monaco got"
Why are you talking like that"
"It's the thought of a huge increase in salary and the possibility of being on the London 'A list' and rubbing
shoulders with superstars like Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Jimmy Saville and Cliff Richard, and going to Henley and possibly seeing Kim Kardashian and President Kanye West at Royal Ascot"

"But didn't you just draw at home to Blackburn and lose to Wolves, with Chelsea top by 10 points in the EPL"
"Well it it is a team game with no leader on the pitch to jolly us along if we're faultering"

I would like to think that if I'd have been playing during the last 2 games (at a similar
age to the current players) I would have run around, probably like a headless chicken,
I remember how excited I was when Hanworth YC won the U18 W.Middlesex Cup and BEA won the Airport Cup"

"But we're only 1 point behind Sheffield Wednesday with 8games to go, and have had out Blip"
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Offline Lighthouse

• Moritz Volz
Re: What would happen to most of us if we ran out of steam at work ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
" Good to see you again. Please sit down"
" Thanks Doctor"
"Now you are doing very well at the moment. But you are still suffering from 'Pointless Against Strugglers Syndrome"
"Yes I am a bit"
" Well you have two chances to cure this. What are your plans?"
"I thought I would go hell for leather, do the same things and like this hospital gown leave myself open at the back"
"So really you have learned nothing"
"That's about the size of it. But I am very good at wandering about a bit"
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Offline HatterDon

• Moritz Volz
  • just like that
    • DPH Vocal Ease
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »
cute, fellas, but when workers are trained to peak once a week and then they are called upon to perform at their best TWICE a week, there's bound to be a dropoff.

Now, none of the jobs I held in my careers ever required fine-tuned physical abilities, but most of them did require quick thinking and even quicker reactions. EVERYONE I worked with, worked for, or who worked for me knew that working double time on half rest had a cumulative affect ... something very akin to "running out of steam."

Oh, I know what the OP really says. It's along the lines of "The guys make so much money they should never be tired/make mistakes/lose concentration" and life doesn't work that way.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Offline Fulham Tup North

• Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 06:02:17 PM »
I make the Tea, so if I ran out of steam, everyone would get cold drinks!!
"Will not do boyo"
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Offline Statto

• MAESTRO
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:07:28 PM »
you can't compare professional footballers to office workers et al. when talking about fatigue and such like.

However you can compare our professional footballers to those playing for Blackburn, Wolves and other teams up and down the football league who seem to be handling two games a week absolutely fine
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:20:43 PM by Statto »

Offline nose

• cebu
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 07:16:38 PM »
i do not think it fatigue... i think it is jaded and stale. we all need a bit of freshening up at times.
Earl, Barrett and Conway: Tony Gale and Ivor: Saha, Hayles and Boa. Who's next?

Offline Baszab

• Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »
Yup -- it's the tactics that need freshening up - move the ball quicker and more direct - play 3 at back

Offline SP

• Jimmy Hill
  • Fulham debut 1972
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 09:24:14 PM »
As someone who is hiding in plain site whilst at work I couldn't possibly comment.

Offline rogerpinvirginia

• The Bard/Corked Hat
  • I AM POINTING A PEN AT THE CAMERA THAT TOOK THIS
    • Theatre Production
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:58:18 PM »
cute, fellas, but when workers are trained to peak once a week and then they are called upon to perform at their best TWICE a week, there's bound to be a dropoff.

Now, none of the jobs I held in my careers ever required fine-tuned physical abilities, but most of them did require quick thinking and even quicker reactions. EVERYONE I worked with, worked for, or who worked for me knew that working double time on half rest had a cumulative affect ... something very akin to "running out of steam."

Oh, I know what the OP really says. It's along the lines of "The guys make so much money they should never be tired/make mistakes/lose concentration" and life doesn't work that way.

Don,
The OP as you well know has a name. Roger
You are very wrong, money is only a small % of what I was referring to.

I was referring to work ethic + if you think physical work is more demanding or stressful than emotional or
mental management work you are living in a long lost era.

Today a woman died in my arms, part of my job.
Ask any of the Fulham players what would they prefer to be doing

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Offline RaySmith

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 03:45:12 AM »
Having worked with  people with learning disabilities, I know that that kind of work  is far more demanding and stressful than any manual work - and I've done most types of jobs in that sphere too, but the point is that pro footballers are elite athletes, expected to perform at an elite level week in and week out, at  skill and athletic levels most people aren't capable of, and are paid according to market rates.

No, it isn't fair that  they get paid so much, and are so cossetted , though they can soon be on the scrapheap if they don't make the grade, or lose form , or are injured, but society , and life, isn't fair, especially today. football earns millions for  huge corporations, and  that's why top players are paid so much, whereas essential care work, doesn't earn bring in huge amounts of money , it only costs money, and that's why it is low paid, and people who do expected to carry on working however worn out, or whatever other more serious problems, they might have, and if they can't do it, like most jobs, they are out the door.

Though, as I said, a footballer will be out the door if they can no longer produce at an elite level. Concern is only  raised at  'fatigue' levels because  results  ultimately mean success, and success means money. A player only needs to lose half a yard because  his leg muscles are a bit tired and that can mean the difference between losing or winning an important game - a game which, in the case of  promotion to the Prem  for example, could earn millions for owner and club, which spreads down to everyone involved with it. Players are a financial asset to football clubs, there's little sentiment involved these days.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:50:36 AM by RaySmith »

Offline Lighthouse

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 09:52:16 AM »

I am not sure I go along with the idea that these footballers are trained to peak once a week. Like saying athletes are trained to peak in one race or one throw or jump. There is usually a whole day of rounds to get through before you reach the final of anything. Fulhams failure had little to do with fitness and more to do with a continued lack of ideas over and above the one plan they have, that works against certain types of opponent but not others.

I tried never to  work at single time so let alone peaked but ran out of steam the second my eyes opened. But I did have to do long shifts. Once was from Friday night to Tuesday Morning with no food as it was unexpected. Part of the reason to do anything is incentive. My incentive to last the day and do things I had to do for poor returns is not the same as footballers being overpaid for doing something they love. Money does indeed help. Incentive does help. Trying to find your own incentive is harder without reward.

Offline Nero

• MAESTRO
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 10:04:05 AM »
Its all in the mind, that's why they cant score penalties need to get a psychologist in asap. PMA and all that

Offline nose

• cebu
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 10:48:53 AM »
Yup -- it's the tactics that need freshening up - move the ball quicker and more direct - play 3 at back

well that is certainly one thing I agree with but this smells of 1983 again. I do n=know you remember that far back.... clay failed to invest and the team ended up stale and jaded just like this one. the root cause of the problem is the squad, the ones that count, is just too small... we needed reinforcements in January and this is the consequence. we will recover a bit after this break but maybe too little too late. we shall see.
Earl, Barrett and Conway: Tony Gale and Ivor: Saha, Hayles and Boa. Who's next?

Offline NJFulham

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 12:03:07 PM »
You take a vacation.

Offline Lighthouse

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »

well that is certainly one thing I agree with but this smells of 1983 again. I do n=know you remember that far back.... clay failed to invest and the team ended up stale and jaded just like this one. the root cause of the problem is the squad, the ones that count, is just too small... we needed reinforcements in January and this is the consequence. we will recover a bit after this break but maybe too little too late. we shall see.

Very much the feeling of 1983. Even Derby helping to muck us about is the same.