News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What would happen to most of us if we ran out of steam at work ?

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, March 20, 2017, 01:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Sorry, I don't get this "poor performances due to running out of steam and pressure"
It should be the opposite with adrenalin flowing and the potential sense of achievement that
few of us could hope to attain.

"Oh, Hi Rog, what have you been up to lately"
"Not a lot, John, except I'm playing at Wembley in a couple weeks and hopefully will be playing in
the Premiership next season at Old Trafford, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc"
"Oh, good for you Rog, anything else happening. How's the family"  ?
"They're fine, I'll be looking into buying houses in Tring and Mallorca if we go up, in cash"
"Also get the boys off to Stowe, give them a bloody good start like what Richard Branson, Roger Hodgson
and HSH Prince Rainier III of Monaco got"
Why are you talking like that"
"It's the thought of a huge increase in salary and the possibility of being on the London 'A list' and rubbing
shoulders with superstars like Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Jimmy Saville and Cliff Richard, and going to Henley and possibly seeing Kim Kardashian and President Kanye West at Royal Ascot"

"But didn't you just draw at home to Blackburn and lose to Wolves, with Chelsea top by 10 points in the EPL"
"Well it it is a team game with no leader on the pitch to jolly us along if we're faultering"

I would like to think that if I'd have been playing during the last 2 games (at a similar
age to the current players) I would have run around, probably like a headless chicken,
I remember how excited I was when Hanworth YC won the U18 W.Middlesex Cup and BEA won the Airport Cup"

"But we're only 1 point behind Sheffield Wednesday with 8games to go, and have had out Blip"
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Lighthouse

" Good to see you again. Please sit down"
" Thanks Doctor"
"Now you are doing very well at the moment. But you are still suffering from 'Pointless Against Strugglers Syndrome"
"Yes I am a bit"
" Well you have two chances to cure this. What are your plans?"
"I thought I would go hell for leather, do the same things and like this hospital gown leave myself open at the back"
"So really you have learned nothing"
"That's about the size of it. But I am very good at wandering about a bit"
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HatterDon

cute, fellas, but when workers are trained to peak once a week and then they are called upon to perform at their best TWICE a week, there's bound to be a dropoff.

Now, none of the jobs I held in my careers ever required fine-tuned physical abilities, but most of them did require quick thinking and even quicker reactions. EVERYONE I worked with, worked for, or who worked for me knew that working double time on half rest had a cumulative affect ... something very akin to "running out of steam."

Oh, I know what the OP really says. It's along the lines of "The guys make so much money they should never be tired/make mistakes/lose concentration" and life doesn't work that way.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Fulham Tup North

I make the Tea, so if I ran out of steam, everyone would get cold drinks!!
"Will not do boyo"
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

nose

i do not think it fatigue... i think it is jaded and stale. we all need a bit of freshening up at times.

Baszab

Yup -- it's the tactics that need freshening up - move the ball quicker and more direct - play 3 at back

SP

As someone who is hiding in plain site whilst at work I couldn't possibly comment.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: HatterDon on March 20, 2017, 05:30:07 PM
cute, fellas, but when workers are trained to peak once a week and then they are called upon to perform at their best TWICE a week, there's bound to be a dropoff.

Now, none of the jobs I held in my careers ever required fine-tuned physical abilities, but most of them did require quick thinking and even quicker reactions. EVERYONE I worked with, worked for, or who worked for me knew that working double time on half rest had a cumulative affect ... something very akin to "running out of steam."

Oh, I know what the OP really says. It's along the lines of "The guys make so much money they should never be tired/make mistakes/lose concentration" and life doesn't work that way.

Don,
The OP as you well know has a name. Roger
You are very wrong, money is only a small % of what I was referring to.

I was referring to work ethic + if you think physical work is more demanding or stressful than emotional or
mental management work you are living in a long lost era.

Today a woman died in my arms, part of my job.
Ask any of the Fulham players what would they prefer to be doing

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

RaySmith

Having worked with  people with learning disabilities, I know that that kind of work  is far more demanding and stressful than any manual work - and I've done most types of jobs in that sphere too, but the point is that pro footballers are elite athletes, expected to perform at an elite level week in and week out, at  skill and athletic levels most people aren't capable of, and are paid according to market rates.

No, it isn't fair that  they get paid so much, and are so cossetted , though they can soon be on the scrapheap if they don't make the grade, or lose form , or are injured, but society , and life, isn't fair, especially today. football earns millions for  huge corporations, and  that's why top players are paid so much, whereas essential care work, doesn't earn bring in huge amounts of money , it only costs money, and that's why it is low paid, and people who do expected to carry on working however worn out, or whatever other more serious problems, they might have, and if they can't do it, like most jobs, they are out the door.

Though, as I said, a footballer will be out the door if they can no longer produce at an elite level. Concern is only  raised at  'fatigue' levels because  results  ultimately mean success, and success means money. A player only needs to lose half a yard because  his leg muscles are a bit tired and that can mean the difference between losing or winning an important game - a game which, in the case of  promotion to the Prem  for example, could earn millions for owner and club, which spreads down to everyone involved with it. Players are a financial asset to football clubs, there's little sentiment involved these days.

Lighthouse

Quote from: HatterDon on March 20, 2017, 05:30:07 PM

I am not sure I go along with the idea that these footballers are trained to peak once a week. Like saying athletes are trained to peak in one race or one throw or jump. There is usually a whole day of rounds to get through before you reach the final of anything. Fulhams failure had little to do with fitness and more to do with a continued lack of ideas over and above the one plan they have, that works against certain types of opponent but not others.

I tried never to  work at single time so let alone peaked but ran out of steam the second my eyes opened. But I did have to do long shifts. Once was from Friday night to Tuesday Morning with no food as it was unexpected. Part of the reason to do anything is incentive. My incentive to last the day and do things I had to do for poor returns is not the same as footballers being overpaid for doing something they love. Money does indeed help. Incentive does help. Trying to find your own incentive is harder without reward.

Nero

Its all in the mind, that's why they cant score penalties need to get a psychologist in asap. PMA and all that

nose

Quote from: Baszab on March 20, 2017, 09:06:08 PM
Yup -- it's the tactics that need freshening up - move the ball quicker and more direct - play 3 at back

well that is certainly one thing I agree with but this smells of 1983 again. I do n=know you remember that far back.... clay failed to invest and the team ended up stale and jaded just like this one. the root cause of the problem is the squad, the ones that count, is just too small... we needed reinforcements in January and this is the consequence. we will recover a bit after this break but maybe too little too late. we shall see.

Lighthouse

Quote from: nose on March 21, 2017, 10:48:53 AM
Quote from: Baszab on March 20, 2017, 09:06:08 PM

well that is certainly one thing I agree with but this smells of 1983 again. I do n=know you remember that far back.... clay failed to invest and the team ended up stale and jaded just like this one. the root cause of the problem is the squad, the ones that count, is just too small... we needed reinforcements in January and this is the consequence. we will recover a bit after this break but maybe too little too late. we shall see.

Very much the feeling of 1983. Even Derby helping to muck us about is the same.

Woolly Mammoth

I use to have a Kettle at work that ran out of steam.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bobbo

Lighthouse, roger,
You both got a great future in script writing should your present jobs go tits up.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

toshes mate

Quote from: Nero on March 21, 2017, 10:04:05 AM
Its all in the mind, that's why they cant score penalties need to get a psychologist in asap. PMA and all that
And that is probably not very far from the truth, as are most of the comments above me. 

The diagnoses offered fit different ranges of people, because not all athletes are at peak fitness, ever, and not all skilled footballers also have well tuned minds in areas other than football.  Injuries, muscle fatigues, strains, etc., are easily diagnosed but some are harder than others to fix.  Mental problems are seldom writ large, and are much harder to understand and treat.  The stress of a low paid job with long hours and a hard nosed employer is one of the hardest things anyone of us could ever do, much more demanding than the job of a cossetted professional footballer may enjoy and illustrate just how much effort some people have to exert 365 days a year.   

As Statto says other professional footballers, the Blackburn's and the Wolves cope with the same demands, and I can remember when footballer wages were no better than median income rates at the general level.  Those players had a game on Good Friday, on the Saturday and on the following Monday.   Imagine modern footballers coping with that.  Well if they had to they would do it to the best of their ability but some wouldn't feel the same way about the game as they probably do now.  Life is really tough for a lot of people outside professional sport and I sometimes think there is a lot of overkill in all of it.

MJG

Some of you will like facts and some wont.

But here is a study about recovery days and results following them

http://worldfootballacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/WFA_Study-on-recovery-days.pdf

The main finding is...

Teams with only two days rest win significantly less games against teams with three or more
days rest. Analysis of the goals scored has shown that this unfair play takes place in the last
30 minutes of the game.
FINDING:
Teams with only two days rest score significantly less goals and concede
significantly more goals in the last part of the game.
This is clear proof that the unfair play is
a result of player fatigue in last 30 minutes of the game after only two days rest.

But point is that fitness (both physical and mental) does have a part to play and to think it doesn't is quite frankly stupid.

RaySmith

In the past, players were expected to 'man up', and just play if they were selected however knackered they might feel. There no rigorous tests on heart rates or muscle fatigue, and will power was considered the main thing - legs tired? just  get over it, run it off.

But the human body will accumulate tiredness in the muscles, and the human brain also can lose sharpness and motivation, and unless we  start having robots playing, footballers will lose that edge considered vital at elite level if they play too much- eg may be the difference between getting that late, promotion clinching equaliser and miscuing the shot, however much they are paid.

Andy S

Lets be honest about it as it is not just at the top level. It is right through the game with games machines being used by the kids you can see which ones have been allowed to play the previous evening by their performance on a Sunday morning