watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Championship league quality

Started by Matty389, March 20, 2017, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty389

Was having a chat with my brother after the wolves game about recent results division wide - there's two potential hypotheses for the "lack of consistency" amongst the top teams.

1) there is an overall increase in quality of the league. Lower teams are spending more and getting better players in so it's not guaranteed that the top 6/7 will beat lower teams like wolves (with players like calvalerio in the starting line up)

2) the overall quality of the league has decreased - the top 6/7 just aren't as dominant as we have seen in previous seasons. Teams like Huddersfield, Leeds and reading should be nowhere near the top yet they are. Is this because there is a gulf in quality therefore teams like Bristol can rampage over teams like Huddersfield and Fulham and yet we have also beaten Huddersfield and reading significantly over the course of the season.

Interesting to see what people's thoughts are as I can't make up my mind on which is the case. Whatever the case is, the consistency of the top teams is questionable at best and there are no "guaranteed 3 points in the bags" anymore (as we should know now more than ever".

Nero

The bottom teams have all sacked their mangers and got better ones in who organise their teams better

nose

this time of the season all sorts of odd results happen every year. bottom teams fighting for their lives beat better teams. better teams wobble under the pressure are two obvious things
PLUS
Injuries, susspensions, lack of squad depth all kick in.

Each team is a bit different. personally our issues, and they are all i really care about at the moment, are so obviously down to being jaded/stale, and that was predictable with a small squad. we had the chance to proactively do something about that but our leaders see fit not to bother.

Bill2

It is interesting about Bristol , a side which was doing well until Abrahams gets injured they go down the table, he comes back and there form returns. Looks like a one player team.

@jolslover

Disagree that the championship has decreased in quality. The quality of the league and the standard of football has greatly increased in the last 5 years!
STH H3

alfie

Quote from: nose on March 20, 2017, 03:33:46 PM
this time of the season all sorts of odd results happen every year. bottom teams fighting for their lives beat better teams. better teams wobble under the pressure are two obvious things
PLUS

Each team is a bit different. personally our issues, and they are all i really care about at the moment, are so obviously down to being jaded/stale, and that was predictable with a small squad. we had the chance to proactively do something about that but our leaders see fit not to bother.
Got to say we are still seeing posts about what should have happened in January, now i just don't see the point in keep going over it again and again, it's gone there's nothing that can done now, it's about time we moved on.I do understand the frustration, but time waits etc.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Carborundum

The quality in the Championship is high and getting ever higher.  Rotherham are doing their best to disprove the "anyone can beat anyone else" maxim.  For the other 23 teams it's pretty much the case.

What doesn't change is the zero sum nature of the sport.  They can all improve again and there will still be as many losses as wins racked up.

nose

Quote from: alfie on March 20, 2017, 05:13:53 PM
PLUS

Got to say we are still seeing posts about what should have happened in January, now i just don't see the point in keep going over it again and again, it's gone there's nothing that can done now, it's about time we moved on.I do understand the frustration, but time waits etc.

alfie, i also understand your point of view BUT when something is avoidable and others have argued the toss that come 1st feb people like me were wrong, or that we did wonderful business last summer... BUT we have a far too lean squad with missing jigsaw pieces yet we are so very close to the finished item, yes I think it worth repeating over and over.

we may yet get top 6 and then who knows what we may yet achieve, but russian roulette is what the owner/board have played and in my opinion that was mega foolish.

alfie

Quote from: nose on March 20, 2017, 07:19:48 PM
Quote from: alfie on March 20, 2017, 05:13:53 PM
PLUS

alfie, i also understand your point of view BUT when something is avoidable and others have argued the toss that come 1st feb people like me were wrong, or that we did wonderful business last summer... BUT we have a far too lean squad with missing jigsaw pieces yet we are so very close to the finished item, yes I think it worth repeating over and over.

we may yet get top 6 and then who knows what we may yet achieve, but russian roulette is what the owner/board have played and in my opinion that was mega foolish.
I do not disagree with you whatsoever, but it's done and gone, it doesn't matter how many times the subject comes up the answer will be the same, of course it's not for me to tell you how to express your feelings.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ffc73

2 of last years promoted teams look as though they are likely to be relegated. I struggle to see any of the top sides this year staying up. Of course that may just illustrate the gulf between premier & championship & not that latter is weak

Newcastle supporting friend of mine says that championship has less quality since the last time they were in it.  That said it is competitive & entertaining.

filham

The Championship offers a good quality of fast, physical football with even standards throughout. This makes it so interest because every came is unpredictable.

Consider this, Newcastle and Brighton are neck and neck at the top of the table and Fulham beat Newcastle twice but lost both matches against Brighton. Had these results been reversed, as you would have expected, the Newcastle would now have a 12 point lead at the top of the Championship.