Started by bog, March 21, 2017, 08:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Players who may not have lasted 90 minutes on the pitch these days:-

Tommy Smith.
Ron Harris.
Peter Storey
Billy Bremner
Kevin Muscat (the nastiest player ever for me)
Tommy Banks

Thank you and good night

filham

Ron Harris was known as Chopper, with good reason, but can't recall any such apt names for the others you mention.

bog

I would not have wanted to make a name up for Tommy Smith!! :022:

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Peter Storey was known as "Cold Eyes" amongst other names.
He played 17 games for Fulham before he retired.
Another hard man was Norman " Bite Your Legs " Hunter of Leeds United.
Of course our own Bobby "Killer" Keetch was from the same mould as the others.
In those days most teams employed what was known as a Hatchet Man.
But in those days most players were tough and real men. Unlike some of these fairies who play today.
So although these players may not have lasted 90mins on the pitch today. Neither would the fairies posing as footballers today lasted 90 mins on the pitch in those days, as they would be begging to come off and pretending to be injured as it would have been all too tough for the poor little darlings.
Another hard man was the Nottingham Forest left back in the early seventies Peter Hindley " The Tank ", he had an enormous Barrell Chest, and was built like a tank.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on March 21, 2017, 11:53:48 AM
I would not have wanted to make a name up for Tommy Smith!! :022:

092.gif

Tommy Smith was known as " Anfield Iron ", or "Iron Man".  He never wore a bandage over a wound as he said it was a sign of weakness. Unlike the woosies today who wear a bandage on a broken finger nail under their gloves.

Never forget your Roots.

jarv

Billy Bremner does not belong with that bunch of thugs. He had sublime skill to go with his annoying, niggling style of play. Just saying, I saw him play for Scotland many times.

Woolly Mammoth

Billy Bremner was a pansy compared to the real hard men, he only got away with certain things cause he knew Hunter, Madeley and Charlton would back him up, although I admit he was a quality player. But he was just an irritant with a big mouth, and little itch to the real hard men of English football. He got his comeuppance when he crossed Dave Mackay once too often on the pitch at White Hart Lane, when Mackay literally lifted him off his feet in a certain confrontation.

Never forget your Roots.

jarv

Woolly, I remember that picture. They were team mates for Scotland too....probably 082.gif after the game.

toshes mate

Quote from: jarv on March 21, 2017, 12:13:37 PM
Billy Bremner does not belong with that bunch of thugs. He had sublime skill to go with his annoying, niggling style of play. Just saying, I saw him play for Scotland many times.
Yes, he was a brilliant passer and mover as well as having the ability to tackle cleanly, probably well within the meaning of the rules these days.

However, Woolly is absolutely right that the game was different in those days, and you had to be tough wherever you played on the pitch.  One thing that sticks in my mind was how much better referees were at controlling games without resorting to the kind of scenes we witness now with cards and player handbag skirmishes galore.  There were and will always be referees who lose control of games but these days inconsistency is such a killer of fair game play and it has turned many front men into real con-merchants.

filham

Anyone remember that right back, we got from Arsenal in the fifties I think, name was Chenhall but we called him Garth after the mirror strong man character. A huge bulk of a man who must have looked fearsome to wingers but in fact his looks were worse than his bite.

Snibbo

Kevin Muscat continued his thuggish behavior in the A-league, and now manages the nasty Melbourne Victory.  Committed about the worst foul I've ever seen, and voted dirtiest player ever

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/kevin-muscat-named-footballs-dirtiest-player-20131212-2z8r4.html

Snibbo

gang

Bobby Keetch would have a problem today.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: jarv on March 21, 2017, 12:26:20 PM
Woolly, I remember that picture. They were team mates for Scotland too....probably 082.gif after the game.

Yes, I twice met Dave Mackay when he visited the Cottage after he retired, a real genuine and lovely man. He was a real tough guy, but a gentleman, and a gentle man, broke the same leg twice whilst playing.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

This is a great debate Bog, thanks for bringing it up.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: jarv on March 21, 2017, 12:26:20 PM

Yes Jarv, that was the good thing about those days, more often than not, they could leave any bad feelings on the pitch, and go and sink a few pints of Heavy together after the match, and be pals again.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Snibbo on March 21, 2017, 12:49:21 PM
Kevin Muscat continued his thuggish behavior in the A-league, and now manages the nasty Melbourne Victory.  Committed about the worst foul I've ever seen, and voted dirtiest player ever

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/kevin-muscat-named-footballs-dirtiest-player

-20131212-2z8r4.html

Was that the same Kevin Muscat that played for Wolves ?

Never forget your Roots.

sunburywhite

Ian St John was a nasty little sh!te as well
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Holders

Millwall's Nr.3 (can't remember his name) was a nasty piece of work. More recently, Andy Morrison (Man City).

Edit: Harry Cripps!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

Quote from: Snibbo on March 21, 2017, 12:52:09 PM
And don't forget our own Michael Brown

https://youtu.be/UNugWnNjwwg
Sorry but if you don't mind I think I would prefer to forget Michael Brown.