watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Premier League or Championship

Started by ffcwickford, March 21, 2017, 11:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffcwickford

I have been pondering this for a while, and had a long conversation with my son after the Wolves game about this potential conundrum!

1) Will, being promoted be a good thing for the club.

2) Will staying in the Championship be a good thing for the club.

Should we get in the play-offs and are lucky enough to get promotion to the Premier League two things will happen, we will receive £120m for being there and need to buy at least six additional players costing with wages around £100m+.

If we stay in the Championship (where at the start of the season I would have been grateful for a top ten finish) then we need to turn Kalas, Piazon and Cyriac loans to permanent or if that is not possible extend the loans.

Replace Cairney if he leaves and bring LVC, Woodrow and Humphrys back from their loans and find back ups for Parker (due to retire and join our coaching staff), MacDonald, Johansen and Cairney and/or his replacement. Tunnicliffe could be offered a new contract as his expires at the end of June whereas I think Wolves will repurchase Stearman. Grimmer and Cameron Burgess will be sold I think.

Now here is the $64000 question, would you prefer to struggle week in week out in the Premier League as even with that sort of investment - players are all mercenaries they will leave as soon as times get tough - it would probably be a long hard slog. Or stay in the Championship invest £25m (FFP permitting) and have a successful season finishing anywhere from first to sixth during the final year of our parachute payment.

ffcwickford

nose

premier league every time
we should be able to attract decent players
we have a anager that would wor well at that level
the only issue is is our owner and his son as good as their word, will they make the necessary investment?
If they do then wonderful but I would love to go back and even if we struggle it will be the best thing for the club, no brainer, this division is a recipe for disaster

dannyboi-ffc

From the clubs perspective it's a no brainer, premier league.

From a fans perspective who can't go to games for several reasons, premier league for the extra coverage.

From a fan who goes to games which is where I fit in, I'd say 50/50.

Relegation battles are only fun if there's a happy ending. How many fans have replayed the final 3rd of our games when we went down under Magath? And how many still watch the games from the great escape?

I enjoy the championship, I like the idea of going all around the country knowing Fulham have a chance of winning. In the prem too many games are a write off. People will say it's good to see the good players and test ourselves but if I'm honest I didn't really enjoy watching Spurs turn us over last month. I couldn't care less how bad the opposition are, in fact I wish Ath Madrid were useless in 2010 and I'm so thrilled we faced a weak Juventus without Buffon in goal.

If you look at our record against big teams it was poor. 1 win over Chelsea, a couple of Arsenal and United. No points away to Everton. You'd also have to be prepared for longer waits for matches. A lot more gaps in between games and no mid week football. I prefer the championship program.

On the flip side the coverage is better, motd is better than Channel 5. But their isn't enough of a wow factor about the premier league to make it more than 50/50. In the championship there's something to aim for, after being there and wearing the t-shirt I'm not sure I'd feel the same in the prem. But we all love fulham and want the best so I'd be gobsmacked if anyone admitted they don't want Fulham to get promoted.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: nose on March 21, 2017, 12:02:37 PM
premier league every time
we should be able to attract decent players
we have a anager that would wor well at that level
the only issue is is our owner and his son as good as their word, will they make the necessary investment?
If they do then wonderful but I would love to go back and even if we struggle it will be the best thing for the club, no brainer, this division is a recipe for disaster

You say attract decent players but IMO 2 of the most enjoyable to watch from the prem era were Boa and Saha, both from the division below. No one was a better striker after Saha and we were there 13 years. No fullback is worthy of being in the same presence of Finnan and most would say Brevett was better than all the left backs that followed excluding Bonnisel who was a class act but a sick note.

Obviously the top players play in the premier league but with the exception of about 20 players over 13 season's, I'm not sure the likes of Kalas, Cairney, Johansen etc are that much inferior.

Maybe this will be different with the prem money but IMO the main benefits of the prem are better coverage and financial stability for the club.

Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

fcfulham55

For a start, no way will our chairman invest a reasonable amount if we did go up, to give us a decent chance IMO.

Our best hope, is that he flogs us if we do go up.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Twig

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on March 21, 2017, 12:05:18 PM

From a fans perspective who can't go to games for several reasons, premier league for the extra coverage.

From my perspective as a fan who goes to games which is where I fit in, I'd say 50/50.

Relegation battles are only fun if there's a happy ending. How many fans have replayed the final 3rd of our games when we went down under Magath? And how many still watch the games from the great escape?

I enjoy the championship, I like the idea of going all around the country knowing Fulham have a chance of winning. In the prem too many games are a write off. People will say it's good to see the good players and test ourselves but if I'm honest I didn't really enjoy watching Spurs turn us over last month. I couldn't care less how bad the opposition are, in fact I wish Ath Madrid were useless in 2010 and I'm so thrilled we faced a weak Juventus without Buffon in goal.

If you look at our record against big teams it was poor. 1 win over Chelsea, a couple of Arsenal and United. No points away to Everton. You'd also have to be prepared for longer waits for matches. A lot more gaps in between games and no mid week football. I prefer the championship program.

On the flip side the coverage is better, motd is better than Channel 5. But their isn't enough of a wow factor about the premier league to make it more than 50/50. In the championship there's something to aim for, after being there and wearing the t-shirt I'm not sure I'd feel the same in the prem. But we all love fulham and want the best so I'd be gobsmacked if anyone admitted they don't want Fulham to get promoted.

I think you cover most of the key points Danny and agree with much of this.  Only thing I would add is that I enjoyed seeing some great opposition players when we were in the prem.  In the champ I often know relatively little or nothing about many of them.  Of course, those same great opposition players meant it was difficult for us to grind out wins but we were 13 years in the prem so we got our fair share of results.

I would support Fulham if they were in the lowest divisions and find pleasure in it (bit like a NH jump meeting at a windy, rainy Fakenham mid week in January) but on balance it has to be the prem.  I also loved that outside hope of getting a back door entry into Europe - not that we would ever get past the early rounds would we? Oh, wait a minute let me think about that!

The Enclosurite

If you could guarantee me a promotion season I would take one more year in the Championship but ultimately the Premier League is where we want to be, so all the while we have a mathematical shot this season I will keep believing.

We have so many great memories of our time there and the springboard it gave us for other things (namely our Europa League run).  We may not be ready for it now but name me a team that has gone up in recent years that was 'Premier League' ready.  They don't exist - even Newcastle will need to strengthen if/when they go up this season.   049:gif
¡COYW!

dhowells21

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on March 21, 2017, 12:05:18 PM

From my perspective as a fan who goes to games which is where I fit in, I'd say 50/50.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Right now I'm enjoying the 'change' of the Championship. Give it a few more years and I'm sure I'll enjoy getting kicked about by Birmingham twice a year a lot less.

gerrys

Premiership, I have money on us going up and I won't get the same odds next year  :022:

Carborundum

Championship provides more games, more close games and more wins.  I like seeing us win. Want it to happen every game.  That means I want promotion.  Paradox

Burt

Well it's a bit of a conundrum - we always want the team to do well, we are more likely to do well in the Championship, therefore the ultimate aim is promotion, and then you are back to what we had in the premier league where a good season could be seen as safe mid-table with a decent cup run thrown in.

But the bottom line is that I miss a full Craven Cottage, and I miss us pitting our wits against the biggest teams in the land, and savouring those rare occasions when you put on over them...

Rambler

Premier league - no brainer.
Even though there are plenty of losses thrown in, nothing beats the thrill of beating the top teams.
Chelsea 06 at home. Fantastic.

None of the championship teams have the same thrill factor

YankeeJim

The Prem. No question.
In the Prem I get to see us play live.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Luka

PL for me.
Always want to see us play at the top level and the difference in quality between the PL and where we are now is vast.

MJG

Quote from: Rambler on March 21, 2017, 04:08:50 PM
Premier league - no brainer.
Even though there are plenty of losses thrown in, nothing beats the thrill of beating the top teams.
Chelsea 06 at home. Fantastic.

None of the championship teams have the same thrill factor
Maybe so, but 1 win, in 26 games over the 13 years. is it that fantastic really?

Fulhamfan666

Won't ticket prices be going up if we go up?
If so, championship.

hovewhite

Not sure as really emjoying the championship,but it is a tough one.

ToodlesMcToot

PL for me - for the ability to actually be able to see the club play on game days.

Also, because it is good for the club. As Mr. Statto has already stated, if you're in the Championship the goal is to graduate from it. If you're not playing for that, then you really shouldn't be there. I'm beginning to feel that the club have a stable foundation again to build upon. We appear to have a clear and successful (although only short term results are available) recruitment methodology as well as a nice little conveyor belt of talent coming up thru the youth ranks. We have a manager who is successful (again only short term results available) in maximizing those resources. There's little reason to doubt that, with some growing pains surely, the club and manager can modify what they are doing to give a good go at the next level. As well, the PL would/should trigger the planned changes to the Riverside which should benefit the club and the match day experience for supporters.

There aren't a lot of negatives to promotion IMHO. Yes, we may lose more often. But, I have faith that Slavisa will make us entertaining to watch and tough for all to play against.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

filham

Premiership without a doubt, full houses, MOD, report in the Telegraph Sunday & Monday, attract better players, half a chance of keeping our good youngsters, better chance of an FA Cup semi final at Wembley.

We have a slim chance of promotion this season, miss it and it may be a long wait for the next chance,

OK we may be involved in a relegation battle but that is a risk worth taking. Even in our poor premiership seasons we could record a few wins for us to enjoy at the Cottage, this season I have only seen eight Championship wins at the Cottage so the enjoyment would not be greatly reduced.