watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

non-political post-Brexit football query

Started by HatterDon, March 21, 2017, 05:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

I asked this question shortly after the vote, and shouldn't have wasted everyone's time since it would take months to assess the difference in normal working life in Britain after the exit. Now that it's imminent, perhaps it's possible to respond to the question now:

What will be the post-Brexit impact on English football leagues in terms of player transfers, releases, and loans? Will English clubs lose the player protection they've previously enjoyed?

Any insights? Thanks.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

rweller86

Could mean EU players will be treated the same as non-EU. No one will know until the negotiations take place or are completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@rweller

filham

Last week when Arsenal took that 1-5 thrashing to come crashing out of Europe one of their fans said on the radio " well at least we can say that Arsenal are setting a good example to the country on Brexit".

MJG

Raised this question today at the FST meeting and its very much a wait and see issue. But one thing that will change is that UEFA/FIFA do not like players U18 moving countries, but allow members of the EU countries to do it. For example we got Dembele like that.
Us leaving will certainly stop that.

Andy S

I don't think you can say that MJG. The world is a much smaller place than it was even 5 years ago and by the time Brexit is sorted out and everything has time to settle, it will be 10 years at least. You can already get to Paris from London, quicker than you can get to Newcastle. It is all speculation and has been proven so far it is an unknown quantity. All of it.

MJG

Quote from: Andy S on March 21, 2017, 05:45:58 PM
I don't think you can say that MJG. The world is a much smaller place than it was even 5 years ago and by the time Brexit is sorted out and everything has time to settle, it will be 10 years at least. You can already get to Paris from London, quicker than you can get to Newcastle. It is all speculation and has been proven so far it is an unknown quantity. All of it.
Im saying at this moment U18's can only move between EU countries because UEFA/FIFA allow that. We leave that will disappear I'm 100% sure.
But yes it will be a long time coming and when you find out last week that David Davis has not even looked at health cards yet and the repercussions of that you know an U18 moving between football clubs is a long way down anyone's list of things to sort out.

Bassey the warrior

Andy S

Its true and that was the stupid thing about the vote in the first place. Every bit of legislation being gone through with a fine tooth comb. None of this is likely to be in my lifetime. Who knows they may decide to leave it as it is in two years as it is too complicated to alter. and withdrawing our resignation as it is easier

fulhamben

Quote from: Andy S on March 21, 2017, 10:28:07 PM
Its true and that was the stupid thing about the vote in the first place. Every bit of legislation being gone through with a fine tooth comb. None of this is likely to be in my lifetime. Who knows they may decide to leave it as it is in two years as it is too complicated to alter. and withdrawing our resignation as it is easier
you can't withdraw. Clause 3 states that you have to leave and re apply if you want to go back in.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

J

It is still up in the air, but read this (/Google for more info) as it covers a reasonable guess as to possible consequences - albeit incorporated into a game:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/18/brexit-is-simulated-in-football-manager-2017-and-its-going-to-ma/

Holders

Quote from: fulhamben on March 22, 2017, 12:04:31 AM
you can't withdraw. Clause 3 states that you have to leave and re apply if you want to go back in.

If you leave you have to re-apply, yes, (as the Scots should know) but Article 50 is itself ambiguous and it's not clear if it's irrevocable once invoked. My hunch is that the government were in favour of remain very largely because they knew how very difficult it would be to leave.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

westcliff white

I agree and I also think it will depend on the agreement on freedom of movement the same as for adults etc. Cannot say carte blanche it wont happen. It is as MJG said a wait and see on this and a lot of aspects
Every day is a Fulham day

toshes mate

It is actually incredibly simple to leave the EU.  The Lisbon Treaty devotes only a few paragraphs to the Article 50 process.  The problem is no one has done it and so no one is sure if it could be as simple as walking out of the exit (which, incredible as it may seem, would appear to be totally legal) or attempting to have a relationship which goes on after the exit (which appears to be what both the UK and the EU want) because there is so much money at stake.   For football I doubt it will make much difference at all.

Holders

Quote from: toshes mate on March 22, 2017, 08:36:59 AM

That's the point, it would be easy to walk away if we wanted to isolate ourselves entirely - with all that involves.

It is actually incredibly simple to leave the EU.  The Lisbon Treaty devotes only a few paragraphs to the Article 50 process.  The problem is no one has done it and so no one is sure if it could be as simple as walking out of the exit (which, incredible as it may seem, would appear to be totally legal) or attempting to have a relationship which goes on after the exit (which appears to be what both the UK and the EU want) because there is so much money at stake.   For football I doubt it will make much difference at all.
mple to leave the EU.  The Lisbon Treaty devotes only a few paragraphs to the Article 50 process.  The problem is no one has done it and so no one is sure if it could be as simple as walking out of the exit (which, incredible as it may seem, would appear to be totally legal) or attempting to have a relationship which goes on after the exit (which appears to be what both the UK and the EU want) because there is so much money at stake.   For football I doubt it will make much difference at all.

That's the point, it would be easy to just walk away if we wanted to isolate ourselves entirely - with all that would involve. So far as football is concerned, I doubt it''l make any practical difference. Money talks, as in the car industry.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

Quote from: Holders on March 22, 2017, 08:40:45 AM

That's the point, it would be easy to just walk away if we wanted to isolate ourselves entirely - with all that would involve. So far as football is concerned, I doubt it''l make any practical difference. Money talks, as in the car industry.

Very much to the point, Holders, the car industry and the whole VAT shambles included.

rweller86

I think it will come down to how the permits are granted. Currently, getting a non-EU player who doesn't play international football rarely gets a permit approved. I can see this being different for EU players though, maybe different permit rules.
@rweller

Logicalman

Quote from: MJG on March 21, 2017, 05:51:09 PM
Im saying at this moment U18's can only move between EU countries because UEFA/FIFA allow that. We leave that will disappear I'm 100% sure.
But yes it will be a long time coming and when you find out last week that David Davis has not even looked at health cards yet and the repercussions of that you know an U18 moving between football clubs is a long way down anyone's list of things to sort out.

I would question whether the availability to move is due to us being in the EU politically, or a member of UEFA though, I guess it's who is responsible for issues the work permits isn't it?
If it's down to being a member of UEFA, as it should be I feel, then leaving Politically should have little effect on that.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.