more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (22/03/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 22, 2017, 07:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

It's Only Banter

Leroy Rosenior will be available to sign copies of his book 'It's Only Banter' from 4.30-6pm this Thursday (23rd March) at the Craven Cottage café.

Within the book, which retails at £16.99 and available to purchase from Thursday, Rosenior provides his own perspective on his career including his encounters with racism.

He speaks affectionately about his time at Fulham Football Club where he made over 100 appearances across three spells in the 1980s.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/21/its-only-banter

WhiteJC

Fulham star Tom Cairney praises manager Slavisa Jokanovic after first Scotland call-up
Scotland face Canada and Slovenia and Cairney believes Jokanovic and the Fulham staff are a big reason as to why he has been called up this time round

Tom Cairney has heaped praise on Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic after receiving his first Scotland call-up for the games against Canada and Slovenia.

The 26-year-old has been in the form of his life this season and has turned heads with his performances which have included nine goals so far.

Despite playing for Scotland U21s, Cairney had never received a senior call-up, but this season he has been used in a midfield three which is favoured by Jokanovic which has led to Gordon Strachan selecting the Fulham vice captain this time round.

And Cairney believes Jokanovic switching him from the right of midfield to that central position has been the catalyst for his season and his call-up.

He said: "I have wanted it for a long time now and it is great to finally be here - I don't want to just be a flash in the pan. Once I am in, I want to stay in.

"I thought it would happen at some stage but, when it eventually happens, no matter how the season has gone, it is still surprising.

"I have never had a season like I've had and I owe a lot to the manager and the staff for that as well.

"A few managers over the last couple of seasons have played me on the right wing, I can play there, but I never felt that was my strongest position.

"I have been playing in the middle of a three and it's more natural to my game and that's a big factor in my form this season and I've enjoyed it a lot."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-star-tom-cairney-praises-12771928

WhiteJC

U18s Travel to Everton

Fulham travel to Merseyside to face Everton this Wednesday in the continuation of the U18 Premier League, with the tie being held at Goodison Park.

Everton finished fifth in the Premier League North, the same as Fulham did in the South division. This will be the first time these two teams have played this season.

Since the Leagues have been split into groups, the Toffees have played two games, beating Middlesbrough and losing their last outing away to Derby.

The Whites are looking for a win after drawing their last three matches, having been ahead in each game. On Saturday they drew away at Stoke in a 2-2 draw, conceding late on.

Fulham went a goal down just before the break, before equalising from a corner through Jerome Opoku. Substitute Michael Elstone gave the Whites the lead, and they thought the victory with a 90th minute volley to gain the advantage.

It wasn't to be as Stoke equalised with one of the last kicks of the match.

Kick off is 2pm, Wednesday 22nd March.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/21/u18s-travel-to-goodison-park

WhiteJC

Report: Newcastle United want Fulham talisman as they look to submit summer bid
The St James' Park outfit were interested in the Fulham man in January but Fulham refused to let him go - and it seems that Rafa Benitez will be back in the summer

Newcastle United are set to launch another raid for Fulham talisman Tom Cairney in the summer.

The 26-year old silenced St James' Park in the 3-1 victory in March with his superbly taken goal to give Fulham the lead in the tie, while he ran the show for the entire 90 minutes.

That performance caught the eye of Rafa Benitez once again, who had previously attempted to lure the Scot away from Craven Cottage in January and he believes that Cairney can improve the side should they get promoted to the Premier League, according to the Mail Online.

Cairney is proving himself as one of the best midfield players in the Championship this season and has recently been called up the Scotland squad, where he praised Slavisa Jokanovic for switching him from the right wing and into a midfield three where he has caused havoc for several opposing teams this season.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/report-newcastle-united-want-fulham-12772043

WhiteJC

International Whites

We take a look at which Fulham players could feature for their respective teams over the international period.

Tom Cairney has been rewarded with a long awaited call-up to the Scotland squad and could make his debut against Canada on Wednesday in Edinburgh. Gordon Strachan has named a strong squad which includes Cairney's Whites teammate Chris Martin for the friendly against Canada, before a World Cup Qualifier against Slovenia at Hampden Park on Sunday night.

Norway travel to Northern Ireland in Group C of World Cup Qualifying, and Stefan Johansen has been included. Currently the Norwegians sit second-to-bottom but a win over second-placed Northern Ireland on Sunday would put them one point behind their opponents.

Elsewhere in Group C, Tomas Kalas has been named as part of the Czech Republic squad to face San Marino away on Sunday but not before a friendly at home to Lithuania on Wednesday night.

Tim Ream is included in the United States squad who have two World Cup Qualifiers in the international period. The States are currently bottom of their group with no wins in two games but will be looking to get back on track with postive results against Honduras on Saturday and Panama on Wednesday.

Austria have a Friday night World Cup Qualifying game with Moldova who are bottom of Group D. Fourth placed Austria have Republic of Ireland, Serbia and Wales all ahead of them. Michael Madl will be available for selection and could also feature in the friendly against Finland the following Tuesday night. Both games are at home for the Austrians.

Madl could potentially come up against Jesse Joronen who is part of the Finland squad. The goalkeeper will first have to travel away to face Turkey on Friday night in a World Cup Group I Qualifier before making the trip to Austria.

Another player who could feature in Group I is Ragnar Sigurdsson as he is part of the Iceland setup. The centre-back could play in a qualifying game in Kosovo on Friday night before heading to the Republic of Ireland on Tuesday night for a friendly.

Mattias Kait is back in the Estonia squad and will be looking to add to his two caps and two goals in games against Cyprus and Croatia. The 18-year-old could feature in the World Cup Qualifier away against Cyprus on Saturday before a home friendly against Croatia on Tuesday night.

Neeskens Kebano has been named in the Congo DR squad who travel for a friendly with Kenya in Nairobi on Sunday before he returns to Craven Cottage. Meanwhile, Cyriac is in the Ivory Coast party for their meetings with Russia in Krasnador and Senegal in Paris.

In the Under-21s, Cauley Woodrow is recalled to the England squad who have a double header of friendlies, in Germany on Friday night and Denmark on Monday. He could face his fellow Burton Albion loanee Lasse Vigen Christensen in the latter fixture, following the Danes' meeting with Spain four days earlier. Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson is in the Iceland Under-21s squad, while Marek Rodák has been included by Slovakia.

Tayo Edun and Ryan Sessegnon have been named in the England Under-19s squad for three Elite Round Qualifiers in the international break. The squad will play matches against Belarus, Norway and Spain in the hope of qualifying for the final tournament in Georgia this summer. Ryan's twin brother Steven Sessegnon is in the England Under-17s squad who will face Czech Republic, Slovenia and Bosnia-Herzegovina in a similar Elite Round Qualifying system.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/21/international-whites

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney aiming for long Scotland career

Tom Cairney is desperate to make his sure his relationship with the Scotland national team is more than fleeting.

The Fulham midfielder has played at under-19 and under-21 level in dark blue but received his first call-up to Gordon Strachan's squad for the double-header against Canada and Slovenia. Cairney, born in Nottingham but who qualifies through his Scottish father, described his inclusion as "brilliant" and is keen to make sure he is part of the senior set-up for years to come. "I don't want to be a flash in the pan," the 26-year-old said. "I want to be here for a number of years and a part of the squad for a number of years, as tough as that it is. Once I am in I would like to stay in if I can. "I wanted it for a long time but to get the call-up was quite surprising in a way. I was waiting for international breaks and it has never happened so when it happened for the first time, no matter how the season has gone, is surprising. "I thought it would happen at some stage, it is just nice that it is finally here. "A few boys kept saying to me last season and this season 'when is it happening?' But obviously it is out of my hands. I did what I normally did and thankfully that is enough." The former Hull and Blackburn player, who played alongside the likes of James Forrest, Stuart Armstrong and Jordan Rhodes in the Scottish youth sides, has spent most of his life in England but feels fiercely Scottish.

He said: "I used to come up at half-term and visit my family in Uddingston in Glasgow and used to get Celtic kits. I have good memories. "It is harder to come up these days being in London but I had very good times here. "My dad, especially, is a big Scotland fan and as soon as I got called up it was a proud moment for him." Wednesday's friendly against the Canadians at Easter Road is a warm-up for the World Cup qualifier against Slovenia at Hampden Park on Sunday, where the Scots must win to keep ailing hopes of reaching Russia alive. Cairney believes he is in the form of his career and believes he is ready for the crucial Hampden fixture. "I have never had a season as good as this one," he said. "I owe a lot to the manager (Slavisa Jokanovic) and staff as well for that but I feel confident and if the gaffer wants me to play I will be ready. "A few managers over the past few seasons have played me on the right wing. "I can play there but I never felt it was my strongest position.

"I have been playing in the middle of a three and it is more natural to my game. That is a big factor to my form this season and I have enjoyed it a lot."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/fulham-midfielder-tom-cairney-aiming-for-long-scotland-caree-1845842.html

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney keen to forge long Scotland career after first call-up for games against Canada and Slovenia

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney is preparing to make his international debut
    Nottingham-born Cairney has been called up by Scotland boss Gordon Strachan
    He is anxious to make an immediate impression in Scottish dark blue

Tom Cairney is desperate to make his sure his relationship with the Scotland national team is more than fleeting.

The Fulham midfielder has played at Under 19 and Under 21 level in dark blue but received his first call-up to Gordon Strachan's squad for the double-header against Canada and Slovenia.

Cairney, born in Nottingham but who qualifies through his Scottish father, described his inclusion as 'brilliant' and is keen to make sure he is part of the senior set-up for years to come.

Tom Cairney is keen to make an immediate impression after winning a Scotland call-up

'I don't want to be a flash in the pan,' the 26-year-old said. 'I want to be here for a number of years and a part of the squad for a number of years, as tough as that it is. Once I am in I would like to stay in if I can.

'I wanted it for a long time but to get the call-up was quite surprising in a way. I was waiting for international breaks and it has never happened so when it happened for the first time, no matter how the season has gone, is surprising.

'I thought it would happen at some stage, it is just nice that it is finally here.

'A few boys kept saying to me last season and this season 'when is it happening?' But obviously it is out of my hands. I did what I normally did and thankfully that is enough.'

The former Hull and Blackburn player, who played alongside the likes of James Forrest, Stuart Armstrong and Jordan Rhodes in the Scottish youth sides, has spent most of his life in England but feels fiercely Scottish.

Cairney has previously played international football at U19 and U21 level

He said: 'I used to come up at half-term and visit my family in Uddingston in Glasgow and used to get Celtic kits. I have good memories.

'It is harder to come up these days being in London but I had very good times here.

'My dad, especially, is a big Scotland fan and as soon as I got called up it was a proud moment for him.'

Wednesday's friendly against the Canadians at Easter Road is a warm-up for the World Cup qualifier against Slovenia at Hampden Park on Sunday, where the Scots must win to keep ailing hopes of reaching Russia alive.

Cairney believes he is in the form of his career and believes he is ready for the crucial Hampden fixture.

The midfielder has impressed for Fulham in the Championship during the current campaign

'I have never had a season as good as this one,' he said.

'I owe a lot to the manager (Slavisa Jokanovic) and staff as well for that but I feel confident and if the gaffer wants me to play I will be ready.

'A few managers over the past few seasons have played me on the right wing.

'I can play there but I never felt it was my strongest position.

'I have been playing in the middle of a three and it is more natural to my game. That is a big factor to my form this season and I have enjoyed it a lot.'

Cairney and Scotland are due to take on Canada and Slovenia during the international break

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4334650/Tom-Cairney-keen-forge-long-Scotland-career.html#ixzz4c2Mwi4Qg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney hoping to become Scotland regular after season of his life

Tom Cairney has represented Scotland at under-19 and under-21 level  Credit: rex

Scotland's friendly meeting with Canada at Easter Road tomorrow night is a dual-purpose fixture. The prime purpose, of course, is to prepare for the crucial World Cup qualifier against Slovenia at Hampden Park on Sunday, from which anything but victory would be very likely fatal to the Scots' hopes of reaching Russia in 2018.

Come what may, however, Gordon Strachan is obliged to keep one eye on the far horizon and these occasions also offer the chance to blood players who could become regulars in the long-term. One such is Fulham's Tom Cairney, whom Strachan believes has the talent to become the best midfielder in his division.

At 26, Cairney is not in the first flush of his career but has worn the dark blue jersey at under-19 and under-21 level. One obstacle to his promotion has been that he plays in the area where the Scots are strongest, with the consequence that Cairney knows that he must capitalise on whatever game time the manager allots him.

"I don't want to be a flash in the pan," said the Nottingham-born player, who is eligible for Scotland through his father. "I want to be here part of the squad for a number of years, as tough as that it is.

"I wanted it for a long time, but to get the call-up was quite surprising in a way. I was waiting for international breaks so when it happened for the first time, no matter how the season has gone, is surprising.

"I thought it would happen at some stage and it is just nice that it is finally here."

Formerly with Hull City and Blackburn Rovers, Cairney has played alongside James Forrest, Stuart Armstrong and Jordan Rhodes, all of whom are in this Scotland squad but, although he has spent most of his life in England, he feels definitively Scottish. "I used to come up at half-term and visit my family in Uddingston in Glasgow and get Celtic kits," he said.

"It is harder to come up these days being in London but I had very good times here. My dad, especially, is a big Scotland fan and when I got called up it was a proud moment for him.

"I have never had a season as good as this one. I owe a lot to Slavisa Jokanovic [the Fulham manager] and staff for that and I feel confident and if the gaffer wants me to play I will be ready.

"A few managers over the past few seasons have played me on the right wing. I can play there but I never felt it was my strongest position.

"I have been playing in the middle of a three and it is more natural to my game. That is a big factor to my form this season and I have enjoyed it a lot."

Strachan has other factors to juggle against Canada, the most alarming being that none of his five forwards has been a regular starter at club level and only Rhodes was in an opening line-up at the weekend, when he appeared for Middlesbrough in their 2-0 defeat by Reading.

Meanwhile, Canada's interim manager, Michael Findlay, will be reunited with Strachan at Easter Road, although he believes it unlikely that the Scotland manager will recollect their one and only meeting, which occurred in 1983, when a Scottish squad under Jock Stein played a three-game tour of Canada and organised a bounce game against a team of Vancouver youngsters as part of their warm-up.

"As you'd expect, we got thumped," said Findlay, who was one of the local kids thrown in against seasoned international players. "When I heard we were playing Scotland, I went into my drawer and found an old photo taken after the match when both teams lined up for a snap - and sitting in the front row are Gordon and I together.

"I've never spoken to the man again and he won't remember me but it's funny to think all these years later I'll be standing across from him in the dug-outs.

"We have to be realistic. This is a Scotland side currently in World Cup qualifying, so they will bring a lot of tempo and commitment to prove to their manager they should be involved on Sunday.

"However, we think we have the quality that can get us a result. We're very positive."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/21/tom-cairney-hoping-become-scotland-regular-season-life/

WhiteJC

Surprising: These 2 Fulham stars have come out of nowhere and been revelations this season

Fulham are enjoying a good season with the Cottagers pushing for a place in the play-offs whilst we head into the international break, and they have to owe it all to the manager, Slaviša Jokanović.

The Serb has put together a fantastic long-term plan at Craven Cottage and that has helped with him putting pen-to-paper on a two-year deal in west London.

Fulham have got the right mixture in their squad as well at the moment with a good balance of youth in the first-team, alongside enough experience to guide them along.

Of course, though, the club have several excellent players in their ranks and some have appeared from the shadows to prove why they are so important to the current squad.

Here are TWO stars at the Championship outfit who have come out of nowhere and been revelations this year.....

Ryan Sessegnon

What a season it's been for Ryan Sessegnon.

The 16 year-old hasn't only graduated from Fulham's prestigious youth academy but he has only made a name for himself in the national sport with headlines in the newspapers, and some of the big clubs in the Premier League are being linked with him.

Sessegnon has made 20 league appearances for the club this season – and despite being mainly tagged as a defender or midfielder, at times, the youngster has four goals to his tally and one brace already; coming at Newcastle United a couple of weeks back.

A sensational talent.

Ryan Fredericks

Ryan Fredericks was a prominent member of the first-team at Craven Cottage last year despite suffering a hamstring injury, as he made 36 appearances for them during the 2015/16 campaign after signing from Bristol City.

The defender has kept six clean sheets in 24 matches for Fulham this year and that has made him become one of the more influential and important players for Slaviša Jokanović.

Fredericks would be missed if he suddenly picked up another injury and if they do end up finishing in the top-six, then they will have partially him to thank for his solid displays week-in, week-out.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/surprising-these-2-fulham-stars-have-come-out-of-nowhere-and-been-revelations-this-season/

WhiteJC

Time to fix: Jokanovic needs to resolve these 2 rumbling issues at Fulham

Fulham have twice squandered the opportunity to move into the play-off zone in the past week.

In midweek, the Cottagers had a home game against struggling Blackburn Rovers and they would have leapfrogged Sheffield Wednesday into sixth place with all three points.

But a late equaliser prevented them from doing so and then they lost this weekend to remain seventh over the international break.

However, the Cottagers are still in a very promising position at this stage of the season and they will remain confident that they can finish in a play-off position and give themselves a shot at promotion back to the Premier League.

Much of that is down to Slavisa Jokanovic, who has done an excellent job at Fulham and worked wonders with his resources.

However, there are still some issues which need fixing at Craven Cottage.

Here are 2 ongoing problems which Jokanovic needs to address at Fulham.

Permanent striker

Fulham's top scorer this season is Chris Martin with 11 goals but he is only on loan from Derby and there have been significant problems with his commitment.

After Martin, midfielders Johansen and Cairney weigh in with nine goals.

Fulham need to find a permanent striker who can score goals as they will be left with limited options up top when Martin returns to Derby.

White line fever

Sheffield Wednesday's on-loan striker, Lucas Joao, earned Blackburn a last gasp equaliser over Fulham last Tuesday to prevent Fulham from taking his parent club's spot in the top six.

Wednesday then lost to Reading on Friday night, meaning Fulham needed a point against lowly Wolves at home last weekend to break into the play-off zone.

However, they were beaten 3-1 by the visitors and squandered another chance to finally make their way into the play-off spots.

Jokanovic needs to address this "white line fever" as his Fulham side seem to panic every time there's a chance of gaining entry into the top six.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/time-to-fix-jokanovic-needs-to-resolve-these-2-rumbling-issues-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Former Fulham man Paul Konchesky believes Ryan Sessegnon should stay at Craven Cottage and make a name for himself
Konchesky played 97 times for Fulham in a three-year stint at the club and he reckons Sessegnon should stay at the club that are giving him a chance

Paul Konchesky believes Ryan Sessegnon should ignore possible suitors and say at Fulham and make a name for himself at Craven Cottage.

The 16-year-old has started doing exactly just that this season with some stunning displays for Slavisa Jokanovic's side, with his two goal brace against Newcastle United at St James' Park standing out.

Rumours on his future have gone into overdrive in recent weeks, but former Fulham fullback Konchesky thinks Sessegnon should stay and is astounded by the youngster's confidence.

Konchesky, speaking exclusively to 888Sport, said: "Obviously as an older player now I always like to see the younger players stay at the club they're getting a chance with and make a name for themselves. He's certainly doing that right now.

"Another big year with Fulham and you just don't know what's around the corner but if Fulham go up to the Premier League then why would he have to leave?

"He is obviously a very talented young boy but the confidence these players have these days you just wouldn't think he was sixteen years of age."

Fulham's English defender Ryan Sessegnon (L) celebrates scoring their third goal during the English FA Cup fourth round football match between Fulham and Hull City at Craven Cottage in London on January 29, 2017

The 35-year-old plays the same position as Sessegnon, and he believes the modern day full-back is more attack minded than they've ever been before.

"They're more like wingers now because you're not really allowed to tackle so full-backs aren't needed," he added.

"One mistimed tackle now and it's a booking and you're on edge straight away so that attack-minded full-back is coming more into play.

"I was a tackling full-back who liked to attack but refs now don't allow that. Milner at Liverpool gets away with it because a big club like Liverpool don't really need out-and-out defenders – they see so much of the ball they're always in the other half anyway."

Meanwhile, 888Sport also have Liverpool as the favourites to sign Sessegnon in the summer with odds available at 2/1 after the 16-year-old was recently linked with a move to Merseyside.

Elsewhere, you can odds of 6/1 for him to be a Celtic man in the summer, 9/2 on him signing for Everton, 10/1 on him ending up at Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford, while European giants Bayern Munich are 33/1 and Real Madrid at 50/1.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-fulham-man-paul-konchesky-12774112

WhiteJC

Diddy Pundit Competition

Calling all our junior football fans, could you be the Nick Kicks 'Diddy Pundit'?

Nicktoons and the EFL are looking for a commentator to join the Nick Kicks team! To be in with a chance of winning, all you have to do is upload a video of you giving a 60 second match report on a game of your choice at nicktoons.co.uk/nickkicks. The first 100 entrants will even receive a Nick Kicks goody bag!

Finalists will win two tickets to either the Championship, League One or League Two Play-Off Final and one lucky winner will join Nick Kicks' presenters Roman Kemp and Rachel Stringer pitch side to commentate on the Championship Play-Off Final!

Microphones at the ready, it's almost time for kick off!

All entries must be received by 4pm Friday 31st March 2017. UK and Eire residents aged 16 or younger only, parental consent required. See nicktoons.co.uk/nickkicks for full terms and conditions.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/22/diddy-pundit-competition