watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (23/03/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 23, 2017, 10:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Ex Hull City manager backs Fulham man Tom Cairney to prove England were wrong not to cap him
The 26-year-old could make get his first cap for Scotland tonight as they face Canada and his former manager has backed him to grow in confidence with the experience

Phil Brown has backed Tom Cairney to prove England were wrong to have not called him up to the senior squad when he eventually gets his first cap for Scotland.

The 26-year-old Fulham vice captain could make his debut for Gordon Strachan's side tonight when they face Canada in a friendly at Easter Park after receiving his first call-up to the squad.

Brown was the man who gave Cairney his debut when he was at Hull City in 2009 and speaking to the Scottish Sun, he believes that England were wrong to not hand the midfielder a call-up.

And Cairney's former boss believes that Fulham's talisman is only getting better with age, similar to Manchester United man Michael Carrick.

He said: "Tom might turn out to be a player who shows he's slipped through England's fingers because he seems to be getting better and better.

"Tom's 26 so he's coming to the prime of his career now and his performances for Fulham as captain bode well for Scotland.

Ready for duty: Tom Cairney is currently with Scotland (Photo: Nathan Stirk/GettyImages)

"That's why Gordon Strachan has called him up.

"England aren't overly blessed with left-footers.

"You always think twice about getting rid of a left-footer and now it looks like Tom will get a chance to prove England were wrong not to give him a chance at international level.

"He'll have thought long and hard about international football and he will have to keep on believing he has made the right decision.

"It must have been a tough decision but I'm sure his parents will have played a massive part in him opting to play for Scotland and they'll give him the right answers.

"It's as if he's cut from the same cloth as Michael Carrick who seems to have got better as he's matured.

"I'm delighted for Tom that he's getting this recognition."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-hull-city-manager-backs-12778073

WhiteJC

Five reasons why Liverpool target Ryan Sessegnon should stay at Fulham for another season at least
Reports have linked Sessegnon to Liverpool and several other clubs but staying at Fulham for the time being would do the youngster the world of good

Ryan Sessegnon is getting himself a lot of attention at the moment with his performances in a Fulham shirt - and rightly so.

His ability and composure for a 16-year-old is, quite frankly, staggering and I think everyone involved with Fulham knows that he is destined for the very top.

But, in the words of Guinness' catchphrase, good things come to those who wait and that is definitely the case with Sessegnon.

There is absolutely no rush with him, he is only 16 years of age and he is playing regular Championship football - the next youngest used player was Wolves' Morgan Gibbs-White who was 17 years and 18 days old when he played on February 14.

We all want to see him in a Fulham shirt next season - here are five reasons why I think he should stay at the Cottage for another year - at least.

He's only 16-years-old
Okay - this one is fairly obvious but it has as much credit to this argument as any other point.

When I was his age, I was preparing myself to take my first AS level exams in sixth form, not bagging a brace in front of 52,000 odd people at one of the biggest stadiums in the country against the league leaders.

This has been his breakthrough season and there is no need at all for him to rush into signing for a Liverpool or a Manchester United - another season under Slavisa Jokanovic's wing would do him the world of good.

Time is very much on Sessegnon's side at the moment.

He's playing regular Championship football
Sessegnon is getting something that a lot of experienced pros don't - he's getting regular Championship football at a club that is chasing the play-offs.

Most players at 16 are in the U18s, or at most, the U23s and for Sessegnon to be getting this level of exposure to first team Championship football is something that will only help his development as a footballer.

He is not only growing in levels of ability at the moment, but also in terms of experience and a move away could stop that if he wasn't to continue playing in his new club's first team.

If he moves to Liverpool, will he play most weeks like he is at Fulham? Possibly, but the rigours of Premier League and maybe Champions League football may mean he becomes an apprentice to a more senior left back, and god forbid, end up playing more U23 football.

That would be a great shame for both him and us as spectators.

Regular Championship football: Ryan Sessegnon

He's a local lad
The distance between Roehampton and Craven Cottage is about three miles, so he is about as local as you can get.

He joined the club at a young age and has come through the ranks, so he is in a environment that is perfect for his development at the moment.

His youth coaches are at the club if he needs advice from coaches he's known since an early age, while Jokanovic possesses superb man management skills which will ensure Sessegnon isn't overused, something which will harm his development.

He needs the right environment to mature and develop in and Fulham is the perfect place to do that at this moment in time.

He could be playing Premier League football with Fulham
Who knows?

The way the Cottagers are going at the moment, the play-offs are a real possibility, as is Premier League football next season.

If they make the top six come the start of May, they have every chance of winning the Play-Offs, no one would fancy playing Jokanovic's team in any one off fixtures.

Anybody would be tempted by Premier League football, but if he can get that at the club he's been with since he started his career why would he leave?

A season in the top flight of English football with his boyhood club would be perfect.

Celebration: Ryan Sessegnon at the death

He's adored by the fans
What is better than being adored by the fans of the club that you've been with since you were a youngster?

The Fulham faithful hold Sessegnon in such high regard as one of their own and it was clear to see how proud those fans were after he destroyed Newcastle with his two goals.

It's always nice for fans to have someone who has come through the ranks do so well for the club, and although each and everyone of them would wish nothing but the best should Sessegnon decide to leave in the summer, they would much rather see him continue his development at the club.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/five-reasons-liverpool-target-ryan-12779439

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column

I expect we'll see Tom Cairney make his debut for Scotland on Wednesday night, and if he does it will be well deserved. I'm surprised that he hasn't been called up before as his form since he's been at Fulham has been outstanding, so I'm happy for him and his family. He was born in this country but qualifies for Scotland through his father, and that's something I definitely would have considered if it was an option, playing for another country, but I was only ever eligible for England.

At one stage I was looking into maybe playing for Wales because we had a huge Welsh contingent at the Club, but nothing ever materialised. If I'd discovered a Welsh aunt or something then I definitely would have explored that possibility. Don't get me wrong, I'm a proud Englishman, but at the time there were so many top midfielders in my position. People like Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Jermaine Jenas, Scott Parker, Owen Hargreaves, Danny Murphy. So to even get into a squad was some ask. I would have loved to have an international career, but the players in front were just too good. I managed to get 10 or 12 England Under-21 caps and one senior call-up, but that was the extent of my Three Lions career.

It was a frustrating result against Wolves in our final match before the international break, and the lads looked a bit leggy if I'm honest. They've played a lot of games in a short space of time, with more or less the same players featuring in every one. Mistakes cost us on Saturday which is disappointing really because before the Blackburn game we would have been fairly confident of taking six points from the next two fixtures. It's a shame because we'd got ourselves into a position where we could overtake Sheffield Wednesday, but we're still up there and we're still fighting. We just need to take each game as it comes until the end of the season and maybe try not and look ahead too much.

I think all us fans got a bit excited and thought those wins were in the bag last week, but we know no game is easy in the Championship. I think that's what happens when you come up against two teams who are fighting relegation. I was guilty of it myself, thinking a double header at home was a six point banker, but you can't really do that in this division. Everyone is fighting for something, there aren't many teams at all who don't have anything to play for. But even against sides like that there will be players fighting for contracts, managers trying to impress owners, so every game is going to be tough.

Wolves had gone away to Brentford and won a few days earlier so they were high on confidence and managed to do a job on us. But, like I say, we're still there or thereabouts, and there's still plenty of points to play for. We've got eight cup finals ahead of us, I know it's a cliché but we have to just take each one as it comes and see where we get. We just need to get some consistency under our belt until the end of the season, which we're more than capable of doing.

I saw earlier this week that Scott Malone had been named in the Team of the Season as part of the EFL Awards. It's quite an early time to announce it, but it's always good to see one of your players get that kind of recognition. He's scored a few this season and claimed a decent number of assists too, so I think he can be fairly pleased with how the campaign has gone for him on a personal note. I'm surprised Cairney didn't get a mention as one of the midfielders, but saying that I think either Ryan Sessegnon or Scott Malone could have taken that left-back berth, as they've both really impressed me.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/22/the-sean-davis-column

WhiteJC

Fulham Midfielder Of Nigerian Descent Scores His Maiden Goal For England

Fulham midfielder Tayo Edun was on target as England U19s recorded a 3-0 win over their Norwegian opponents in a UEFA European Under-19 Championship qualifier held at St George's Park National Football Centre on Wednesday afternoon.

Tayo Edun doubled England's lead in the 47th minute after Chelsea starlet Mason Mount had opened the scoring.

Spain and Belarus are the Young Lions other opponents in the UEFA Elite Round Qualifier and they will qualify for the European Under-19 Championship in Georgia this July if they top the group.

The 18-year-old Tayo Edun represented England at U16 and U17 level before making his debut for the U19s.

His strike against the Scandinavians was his first goal for England youth teams.

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22459

WhiteJC

Norwich Travel For £5

Fans can get £5 return coach tickets for Fulham's trip to Norwich City on Friday 14th April (3pm).

Trains are disrupted for the Bank Holiday fixture, so all fans can take advantage of our subsidised travel offer, with coaches departing from Craven Cottage at 10am and from Motspur Park at 9.45am.

Match tickets are priced at £25 for adults, £15 for over-65s, £10 for under-18s, and £5 for under-12s, and these will go on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members from 10am on Thursday 23rd March.

These will be available to purchase on General Sale from 10am on Monday 27th March.

The Good Friday travel offer is our second £5 coach option in quick succession, with the same deal available for our trip to Derby County on Tuesday 4th April.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/22/norwich-travel-for-five-pounds

WhiteJC

Tayo On Target

Tayo Edun and Ryan Sessegnon helped England Under-19s get their Elite Round of qualifying for the European Championships off to the perfect start on Wednesday afternoon.

Edun played the full 90 minutes and netted the crucial second goal in the 3-0 win over Norway, while Sessegnon featured for 73 minutes before being replaced by Arsenal's Chris Willock.

Chelsea forward Mason Mount had given the Young Lions a half-time lead, one that Edun doubled in style a matter of seconds after the second period kicked off, with a bullet into the top corner from outside the area.

West Bromwich Albion's Sam Field made the result safe at St George's Park, with Sessegnon then shooting narrowly wide as England threatened to run riot.

They are next in action on Friday against Spain, who won their opening fixture 5-0, in what promises to be a riveting encounter as only the group winners will secure their place at the Finals in the summer.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/22/tayo-on-target

WhiteJC

Keep or axe? Jokanovic needs to make a decision on these 3 Fulham stars

After Fulham finished 20th in the Championship last season, this season could be regarded as a success for Fulham as they sit just outside of the play-off positions.

One of the reasons for Fulham's success this season has been the quality of recruitment which has seen the overall quality of Fulham's squad improve significantly.

As the quality of Fulham's squad has improved, some of the longer serving players at Fulham have found themselves on the margins of Fulham's first team squad.

Some of these players who feel that they should have a bigger role to play at Fulham have had to leave the club on loan in search of regular first team football.

In the summer, Slavisa Jokanovic will have a number of decisions to make regarding these players who may feel that their future lies elsewhere if they can't be guaranteed regular first team football.

FLW writer Elliott Wheat-Bowen looks at three Fulham stars Slavisa Jokanovic needs to make a decision about in the summer.

Cauley Woodrow

Having emerged from Fulham's academy, Cauley Woodrow joined the prestigious list of academy graduates who had featured for Fulham's first team.

At just the age of 22, Cauley Woodrow has made over 60 appearances for Fulham's senior side both in the Premier League and the Championship.

However, this season, Slavisa Jokanovic made the decision to allow Cauley Woodrow to leave on loan to fellow Championship side Burton Albion.

Since joining Nigel Clough's side, Cauley Woodrow has been extremely influential scoring four times in just nine league appearances for the Brewers including crucial winners against Nottingham Forest, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Norwich City.

With Burton Albion keen to sign Cauley Woodrow on a permanent basis in the summer, Slavisa Jokanovic will have to make the decision whether or not to keep or axe the 22-year-old striker.

Gohi Cyriac

With Fulham suffering from a shortage of strikers, it was crucial that Slavisa Jokanovic managed to bring one in before the transfer window closed.

Fulham had to wait until deadline day to bring in a striker as they announced the loan signing of Ivorian striker Gohi Cyriac from Belgian side KV Oostende.

Since making the temporary move to Fulham, the 26-year-old has made eight Championship appearances, all of which have been off the substitute bench.

Cyriac's only notable contribution for Slavisa Jokanovic's side was Fulham's second goal in their dramatic draw with Blackburn Rovers.

Despite the goal, Slavisa Jokanovic does not trust the former Anderlecht striker enough to give Cyriac the opportunity to make a starting appearance in  the Championship.

With Chris Martin set to return to Derby County in the summer, Slavisa Jokanovic will need to make the decision to either keep Cyriac and sign him on a permanent basis or allow the Ivorian international to return to Belgium.

Lasse Vigen Christensen

As part of a double loan move from Fulham to Burton Albion, Danish midfielder Lasse Vigen Christensen followed Cauley Woodrow to Burton Albion.

Lasse Vigen Christensen career path to becoming a Fulham academy graduate is an unusual one as he joined the London club's academy from Danish side Midtjylland.

After impressing for Fulham's Under 23 side, Christensen was promoted to Fulham's senior side where he had been a mainstay over the past three seasons.

However, this season, the Danish midfielder went through a difficult six month period which saw Christensen excluded from Fulham's match day squad since the end of September.

The 22-year-old midfielder was offered an unlikely escape by Burton Albion who had an offer to take the Danish Under 21 international on loan until the end of the season granted by Slavisa Jokanovic.

In the summer, Slavisa Jokanovic will have to make a decision about the frustrated midfielder who feels he should have a big role in the squad.

Jokanovic will have to decide whether to keep and utilise the Danish midfielder more frequently or sell the former Midtjylland midfielder.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/keep-or-axe-jokanovic-needs-to-make-a-decision-on-these-3-fulham-stars/

WhiteJC

Liverpool Step Up Summer Transfer Plans As Two Bids Already Made

Liverpool seem intent on strengthening the left-back positions before the upcoming season, if reports are to be believed. More importantly, it seems that the club are not after just one left-back. Only a few days ago, Liverpool appeared to have won the race for Fulham teenager Ryan Sessegnon. The 16-year-old could be on his way to Anfield in the summer.

However, it has not prevented the club from looking at more options. Schalke defender Sead Kolasinac and Atletico Madrid left-back Theo Hernandez have emerged as two more targets for the club and according to the reports from Bild and AS respectively, the Reds have made a bid for both the players.

Joel Matip has been a reasonably good signing for the club, and Jurgen Klopp used his contacts in Germany to secure the player on a free transfer. It appears that he is keen on doing a similar job with regard to Schalke's Kolasinac.

The 23-year-old is available on a free transfer in the summer as his contract is about to expire. With with very little possibility of the player extending his deal with the German outfit, Liverpool are looking to take advantage of the situation. He has been at Schalke since joining the club as a youth team player from Stuttgart in 2011.

The player has been keen on linking up with the major European clubs for quite a while, but Schalke have been refusing to let him leave unless they were compensated rather well. However, this has worked to the disadvantage of the club as the player is about to leave on a free transfer.

Sead Kolasinac is a player capable of jumping straight into the first-team unlike Ryan Sessegnon, who may need a year or two in the Premier League in order to start performing on a regular basis. Kolasinac has been a regular for the club by making 19 starts in the Bundesliga this season. He scored his third goal of the season in the 1-0 win over Mainz during the weekend.

Theo Hernandez is a defender who is contracted with Atletico Madrid. However, he plays on loan at Deportivo Alaves, who have one of the best defensive records in the La Liga among the so-called weaker teams. While this is a major advantage in favour of the 19-year-old, Liverpool are aware that they need to stump up a huge transfer fee in order to convince Atletico Madrid to sell the young starlet. Hernandez is rated very highly by Atletico and they could easily demand a hefty fee since the player is contracted with the club until the summer of 2021.

http://thekoptimes.com/2017/03/23/liverpool-step-up-summer-transfer-plans-as-two-bids-already-made/

WhiteJC

Scotland 1 Canada 1: Encouraging Scotland debut from Tom Cairney but precious few at Easter Road to see it

Tom Cairney made his Scotland debut

FOR Tom Cairney, this was an initiation ceremony as bizarre as a Japanese game show. Just how the midfielder imagined the occasion of his first full international cap remains a matter for conjecture – as a young boy growing up in Nottingham it probably revolved around playing for England in front of a full house at Wembley – but it surely could not have been anything like this. For various reasons both good and bad, this is a night he is unlikely to forget in a hurry.

Surprisingly the only debutant in Gordon Strachan's side for Scotland's first friendly in nine months, the 26 year-old with the Scottish dad must have looked around a ghostly quiet Easter Road and wondered just what he had signed up for, the number of empty seats reflecting both a nation's collective apathy about the state of the team and also their disgruntlement at being asked to pay £22 for a friendly against the 117th best team in the world. Canada, it must be said, did rather better than their lowly ranking may have suggested beforehand.

Tickets were on sale right up until kick-off and those who decided to make a late burst for it at least would not have had to wait in a queue. The official attendance was given as 9150, more than had been initially feared but still some 5000 fewer than watched Berti Vogts' side take on the same opposition in another midweek game back in 2002.

The attendance on Sunday night – when the team returns to its traditional Hampden home for what is being billed optimistically as a "crucial" World Cup qualifier against Slovenia – will give another indicator of the Tartan Army's enthusiasm, or otherwise, for following Scotland during their current malaise.

Not even the weather went in the SFA's favour last night. Just four days shy of the start of British Summer Time and Edinburgh was as warm as the inside of a freezer, with a swirling wind merely adding to the assault on the senses. It seemed verging on child cruelty to have the 22 mascots stand shivering for the pre-match formalities – many in short sleeves – to the incongruous backdrop of ear-splitting fireworks echoing off empty stands. Strachan's decision not to pitch in any Celtic players or local hero John McGinn from the start probably did not help bolster crowd numbers, although Leigh Griffiths and the Hibs midfielder did both appear from the bench in the second half to notably enthusiastic receptions.

All eyes, then, were on Cairney and the Fulham man did not disappoint on his senior debut. Flitting between a deeper berth beside Darren Fletcher and a more advanced role that took him closer to Steven Naismith, the 26 year-old was one of few Scotland players to enhance their reputation on a night when many toiled.

An early tackle showcased his strength but the highlights were mostly of a more productive nature, with his passing surprisingly crisp on the soggy surface. One dead-eyed delivery down the middle sent Chris Martin clear only for the goalkeeper to save the striker's shot, while another well-weighted diagonal ball sent Lee Wallace scurrying free to create another chance that was passed up by Oliver Burke. By the end of the first half, however, Cairney had his first international assist as Scotland drew level.

It was not the most orthodox of goals. Wallace's cross wasn't properly dealt with by the Canadian goalkeeper and his defence, giving Cairney time to lash in what looked very much like a shot rather than a cross. Naismith did not hesitate regardless, redirecting it over the line from a matter of yards. The Fulham man was less instrumental in the second period but this was an accomplished debut that makes Cairney worth another look.

He was not the only foreign-born player of Scottish parentage to catch the eye. During his time at Rangers, Fraser Aird was repeatedly asked whether it was intention to represent Scotland or Canada were he ever to be capped. Given international football did not seem likely to feature on the Toronto-born forward's radar any time soon, it felt as futile as asking Spud from Trainspotting whether he would rather go on a date with Katy Perry or Mila Kunis.

And yet, here was Aird having the last laugh. Now with Falkirk, the 22 year-old has thrown his lot in with Canada and was a key figure in their competitive display. It was Aird who put them in front with a low shot, while he was also allowed to run unfettered across the perimeter of the penalty box before pulling a shot just wide. Aird may prove to be Scotland's loss in the long run but Cairney's performance was at least one positive on an otherwise unusual and underwhelming night in Leith.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/15174783.Encouraging_Scotland_debut_from_Cairney_but_precious_few_at_Easter_Road_to_see_it/#articleContinue

WhiteJC

Scotland new boy Tom Cairney enhances reputation

Scotland's Tom Cairney, centre, battles with Canada's Samuel Piette. Picture: SNS

For the vast majority of those involved, either on the sodden pitch or in the chilly stands, this was a Scotland match which will be quickly and happily erased from the memory banks.

At least one man will recall it fondly many years from now, however, as the night he made his senior debut in dark blue. Tom Cairney was also perhaps the only player wearing that colour to emerge with his reputation enhanced. The Fulham midfielder's display was one of the few positives Scotland manager Gordon Strachan could take from the 1-1 draw with Canada which did nothing to improve the gloomy narrative surrounding the national team. With Bournemouth winger Ryan Fraser not risked because of a slight hamstring problem, Cairney was the only debutant in Strachan's starting line-up. If this was an occasion for which very few could muster much enthusiasm, the former Hull City and Blackburn playmaker would certainly be among the exceptions to that prevailing mood. Nottingham-born Cairney has had to exercise considerable patience in his ambition to represent the country of his Scottish father but his widely lauded club form this 
season finally presented a compelling case for his inclusion which Strachan could not ignore. The Scotland manager himself described Cairney as the best midfield player in the highly competitive and physically demanding English Championship, where his nine goals and numerous assists for Fulham have contributed significantly to the London club's push for a return to the Premier League. As he made his first senior appearance for Scotland, the 26-year-old found himself lining up in central midfield alongside a man winning his 78th cap. Darren Fletcher, now third on the all-time Scotland appearance list behind only Kenny Dalglish and Jim Leighton, was the ideal mentor to bed Cairney in at international level.

In fairness to the newcomer, though, he displayed little sign of requiring his hand to be held. Cairney made a confident start and was arguably the most composed and accurate performer for the Scots in an opening period which provided so many uncomfortable moments for Strachan. As the home side looked to respond to the error-strewn concession of Fraser Aird's 11th-minute opener for 
Canada, Cairney was eager to provide a creative spark. He produced a couple of piercing passes into the visitors' area to get Scotland on to the front foot, creating openings which Chris Martin and then Lee Wallace were both unable to make the most of. Cairney also played his part in delivering Strachan the relief of an equaliser before half-time when he seized on a poor defensive clearance to drive in a shot which, while heading wide, allowed Steven 
Naismith to divert the ball home from close range. With the Celtic duo of Scott Brown and Stuart Armstrong not involved last night with Sunday's World Cup qualifier against Slovenia in mind, Cairney appears unlikely to retain a place in the starting line-up for that far more 
critical Hampden assignment.

But, as he left the field in the closing stages here, replaced by local favourite John McGinn, the new boy had certainly done no harm at all to his prospect of more regular involvement with Scotland over the next few seasons.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/scotland-new-boy-tom-cairney-enhances-reputation-1-4401114

WhiteJC

Fulham's Denis Odoi lifts the lid on how the squad operates during the international break
Fulham have seen more than ten first teamers head off to international duty and Odoi has revealed what training is like when so many of the squad are away with their country

Kit time: Denis Odoi and Lucas Piazon with Everett Rovers FC

Denis Odoi has lifted the lid on how Fulham keep themselves ticking over during the international break when so many of the first team are away on international duty.

More than ten members of the squad are away with their countries this week, including Tom Cairney who gained his first Scotland cap last night, and that brings a different dynamic to the side's training sessions, according to the Belgian.

Some sides opt for a warm weather training camp during the breaks, such as Liverpool who have flown to Tenerife for the week, but Slavisa Jokanovic has kept his squad at Motspur Park and has been putting them through their paces.

With eight games left this season, the boss wants to make sure those that have stayed behind are kept on their toes, but Odoi has said Jokanovic is a bit more relaxed when there is no game looming over them.

Speaking ahead of handing Everett Rovers a new kit as part of the Wickes EFL Kits for Kids community initiative, Odoi said: "We were hoping training would be easy but today wasn't easy at all, we did a lot of running trying to maintain condition but hopefully the upcoming days will be more relaxed.

Did you see that? Denis Odoi scores from 35 yards

"We still need to work because it isn't a holiday and we have eight big games coming up which will be very important for us so it is no time to relax.

"I think there is always a different dynamic when you're not with the full squad, that's the way it is because at the moment we're training with ten or eleven players so it changes the dynamic of training but everyone still does their best.

"The manager is more or less the same in the international break, he might be a bit more relaxed because you know there isn't a game at the weekend so it takes the pressure off but he still wants the group to work hard.

"We had a lot of tough games before the break, five games in two weeks so it's good for us to get some rest although we have a lot of internationals who will still be playing games, maybe for the team it would have been better if we didn't have so many but it's good for them."

The Wickes 'Kit for Kids' initiative saw 72 children's football clubs across England and Wales have been rewarded with new kit, with Odoi and Lucas Piazon presenting Everett Rovers with their new Mitre kit at Motspur Park.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-denis-odoi-lifts-lid-12784147

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder gets international recognition as he is named as captain of Norway
The 26-year-old was handed the armband by Lars Lagerbäck ahead of his side's World Cup qualifier with Northern Ireland in Belfast on Sunday evening

The new Norway captain: Stefan Johansen (Photo: GLYN KIRK/AFP/Getty Images)

Stefan Johansen has been named as the new Norway captain by manager Lars Lagerbäck.

The Fulham midfielder was announced as his country's new skipper ahead of his side's World Cup qualifier against Northern Ireland in Belfast on Sunday, calling his selection a "great honour."

Johansen has been in familiar surroundings while on international duty with Norway using Motspur Park as their training ground in the run-up to the game with Northern Ireland.

The 26-year-old had been the favourite in the Norwegian press to be named as the new captain, and speaking after being handed the armband Johansen said: "As a young boy you dream of becoming a pro, and getting to represent your country as captain is obviously a great honour.

"What characterises me is that I am an honest person and I make demands of those around me.

"However, it is correct to say that the greatest requirements should be set for himself. I like to lead by good example.

"This group knows me well as a person, and if there is anything we can rectify so it is no problem to speak to me.

"As Lars says, good chemistry between the players and support is important."

Norway take on Northern Ireland at Windsor Park on Sunday in a 7.45pm kick off.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-midfielder-gets-international-recognition-12784323