News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do we have what it takes to win in the play offs?

Started by NorfolkJim, March 23, 2017, 12:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorfolkJim

Taken that the best we could do this season is to make the play offs - would that be a good thing with our current squad? I'm still damaged by our play off with Bristol Rovers way back and the idea of a play off at Wembley reminds me of Hamburg (which I don't think I'll ever get over - thinking of Mark sprawling, hand out, looking desperately at the ball trickling over the line - haunts me).
I think the big pitch could favour our style but this is Fulham - so many years of falling at the last.
Many big nights of success - Blackburn Away, Huddersfield away, Juventus, Shaktar, Basle, that semi final against Hamburg SV - do you think we just maybe could do it again?

Southcoastffc

Quote from: NorfolkJim on March 23, 2017, 12:21:46 PM
Taken that the best we could do this season is to make the play offs - would that be a good thing with our current squad? I'm still damaged by our play off with Bristol Rovers way back and the idea of a play off at Wembley reminds me of Hamburg (which I don't think I'll ever get over - thinking of Mark sprawling, hand out, looking desperately at the ball trickling over the line - haunts me).
I think the big pitch could favour our style but this is Fulham - so many years of falling at the last.
Many big nights of success - Blackburn Away, Huddersfield away, Juventus, Shaktar, Basle, that semi final against Hamburg SV - do you think we just maybe could do it again?

If you mean in the play-off  final, yes, of course.  On the day 11 v 11 (14 v 14).  If you mean get through the play-offs, semi final and final - no.  But if the latter I will not be too disappointed, I already count this season as a good one for us and look forward to an even better one next year. (Provided SJ stays!)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

Anything is possible, we are more than capable, but at the same time, I fear we are just as capable of making a dogs dinner out of it unfortunately.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

The crucial thing about any game is forgetting its significance.  For all the failures when success beckoned mentioned in the Hodgson era don't let us forget the magic moment against Portsmouth at Fratton Park when Danny Murphy kept us in the Premier League.  It is as easy to succeed as it is to fail provided your head is full of the right stuff before you enter the battle arena.   Getting into the top six will mean three extra games and for all three your head needs to be full of the same stuff you had in your head when you won a game everybody else said you are probably going to lose.   To win you have to be tough and Fulham can be as tough as anybody else in the Championship as has been demonstrated in more games than not.

Bassey the warrior

You never know, depends on who's fit and whether they turn up on the day. On our day we can beat anyone but we can also lose to anyone.
We are very thin though, if we lose Cairney, Johansen or McDonald we're fooked.

MJG

Quote from: The Moose on March 23, 2017, 01:07:07 PM
You never know, depends on who's fit and whether they turn up on the day. On our day we can beat anyone but we can also lose to anyone.
To be fair take three first team players from any play off team and they will struggle, let alone all from the same area of the pitch

Lighthouse

When we are good we are better than anybody in the league. When we are average we struggle against the more workmanlike opponents. We can win it. However the Summer will be tough enough trying to keep our best and improve in certain areas. Is it just a bit too early?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 23, 2017, 01:22:44 PM
When we are good we are better than anybody in the league. When we are average we struggle against the more workmanlike opponents. We can win it. However the Summer will be tough enough trying to keep our best and improve in certain areas. Is it just a bit too early?

The summer will be less tough to keep our best and recruit improvements if we've made the play-offs (even if we lose) than if we don't. So it's not too early in my view.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

We have to go all out for it -getting into the play-offs, then winning them. We are can do it.

Woolly Mammoth

I reckon if we can make the play offs, we have every chance of winning it, as we have the right system of play, and players to negotiate a two legged play off and a Wembley Final in those wide open spaces.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jims Dentist

Sorry, IMHO I don't think we will make the playoffs.

The squad is tired and too thin after January and we don't take enough of the chances created when in on goal.
In addition no effective plans B&C when the opposition has set up to exploit our normal way of playing

filham

Quote from: The Moose on March 23, 2017, 01:07:07 PM

Yes so much depends on those three being fresh, fit and on form. They form the engine room of the team and we have no replacements for them.
I am not daring to think about possible play off results, getting there is a tough call and better than anything we had a right to expect this season.

dgnffc

If it comes down to a penalty shoot-out - No Chance 090.gif

Cambridge Pete

Lets get there first. Some tough games ahead. Whatever happens it has been our best and most enjoyable season for a few years. After the nadir of Magath Slavisa is a breath of fresh air. I am more confident about the future than I have been in the last five years.
COYW 092.gif

toshes mate

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on March 24, 2017, 11:42:13 AM
Lets get there first. Some tough games ahead. Whatever happens it has been our best and most enjoyable season for a few years. After the nadir of Magath Slavisa is a breath of fresh air. I am more confident about the future than I have been in the last five years.
COYW 092.gif
+1

NorfolkJim

I have a tendency to worry we will be cherry picked if we don't win through, though the Chairman does not need the money by the sound of it, players ambitions can be a deciding factor

Burt

Cart before horse...

Do we have what it takes to get in to the top 6 is the real question.

Up until the 94th minute of the match v. Blackburn I thought we did. Since then, I am not so sure. Mental toughness and resilience will be the key.

Andy S

We certainly have what it takes to make the play offs and I think we will just get there. As for the play offs up to a couple of games ago I would have put money on us winning it. But the last two games have given me a reality check. I would not rule us out but I don't think we have any more of a chance than anyone else. It will depend what teams turn up on the day(s)