Sunday Supplement - 26/03/17

Started by WhiteJC, March 23, 2017, 10:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Scotland v Canada: Fulham's Tom Cairney eyes permanent place

Tom Cairney has been called up for the first time

International friendly: Scotland v Canada
Date: Wednesday 22 March Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh Kick-off: 19:45 GMT
Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio Scotland 810MW/DAB/online; live text commentary on BBC Sport website

Tom Cairney says he and his family have waited a long time for him to make his Scotland debut and he aims to hold on to his place should he face Canada.

The 26-year-old believes he is in the best form of his career after being switched to a central midfield role by Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic.

"I have wanted it for a long time now and it is great to finally be here," said Cairney.

"I don't want to just be a flash in the pan. Once I am in, I want to stay in."

Cairney, who has played at under-21 level, is hoping to make his full debut in Wednesday's Easter Road friendly, which is preparation for Sunday's World Cup qualifier against Slovenia at Hampden Park.

"I thought it would happen at some stage," he said about his first call-up to Gordon Strachan's squad.

"But, when it eventually happens, no matter how the season has gone, it is still surprising.

"I have never had a season like I've had and I owe a lot to the manager and the staff for that as well."

Gordon Strachan thinks Cairney has probably been the best midfielder in the Championship

Cairney believes his international progress was hampered by being played out of position with his English Championship club.

"A few managers over the last couple of seasons have played me on the right wing," he explained.

"I can play there, but I never felt that was my strongest position.

"I have been playing in the middle of a three and it's more natural to my game and that's a big factor in my form this season and I've enjoyed it a lot."

Cairney was born in Nottingham but retains strong links north of the border through his Scottish father.

"I used to come up every school half term and visit my family in Uddingston," he recalled.

"I used to get my Celtic kits and stuff. I had good memories when I was little.

"It makes it a lot harder to come up these days with football and being in London, but I have very good times here.

"My dad especially is a big Scotland fan, so I think as soon as I got called up it was a proud moment for him."

Cairney recognises that midfield is where Scotland have greatest strength in depth and it is where he will compete for a starting place with his former under-21 team-mate, Stuart Armstrong, who is also in seeking a first cap.

Strachan has decided that Armstrong, along with four Celtic colleagues, will not feature against Canada after playing for their club on Sunday.

Injuries to James McArthur, James Morrison and Matt Phillips further increase the chances of a first cap for Cairney, who the national coach praised for his nine goals in 41 appearances this season.

"Tom Cairney has been absolutely fantastic this year," said Strachan.

"He could probably be the midfield player of the year in that league.

"In saying that, Matt Ritchie's scored 13 goals for Newcastle, so he's been magnificent and Stuart has been fantastic as well."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39331344

WhiteJC

Ex Hull City manager backs Fulham man Tom Cairney to prove England were wrong not to cap him
The 26-year-old could make get his first cap for Scotland tonight as they face Canada and his former manager has backed him to grow in confidence with the experience

Phil Brown has backed Tom Cairney to prove England were wrong to have not called him up to the senior squad when he eventually gets his first cap for Scotland.

The 26-year-old Fulham vice captain could make his debut for Gordon Strachan's side tonight when they face Canada in a friendly at Easter Park after receiving his first call-up to the squad.

Brown was the man who gave Cairney his debut when he was at Hull City in 2009 and speaking to the Scottish Sun, he believes that England were wrong to not hand the midfielder a call-up.

And Cairney's former boss believes that Fulham's talisman is only getting better with age, similar to Manchester United man Michael Carrick.

He said: "Tom might turn out to be a player who shows he's slipped through England's fingers because he seems to be getting better and better.

"Tom's 26 so he's coming to the prime of his career now and his performances for Fulham as captain bode well for Scotland.

Ready for duty: Tom Cairney is currently with Scotland (Photo: Nathan Stirk/GettyImages)

"That's why Gordon Strachan has called him up.

"England aren't overly blessed with left-footers.

"You always think twice about getting rid of a left-footer and now it looks like Tom will get a chance to prove England were wrong not to give him a chance at international level.

"He'll have thought long and hard about international football and he will have to keep on believing he has made the right decision.

"It must have been a tough decision but I'm sure his parents will have played a massive part in him opting to play for Scotland and they'll give him the right answers.

"It's as if he's cut from the same cloth as Michael Carrick who seems to have got better as he's matured.

"I'm delighted for Tom that he's getting this recognition."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-hull-city-manager-backs-12778073

WhiteJC

Five reasons why Liverpool target Ryan Sessegnon should stay at Fulham for another season at least
Reports have linked Sessegnon to Liverpool and several other clubs but staying at Fulham for the time being would do the youngster the world of good

Ryan Sessegnon is getting himself a lot of attention at the moment with his performances in a Fulham shirt - and rightly so.

His ability and composure for a 16-year-old is, quite frankly, staggering and I think everyone involved with Fulham knows that he is destined for the very top.

But, in the words of Guinness' catchphrase, good things come to those who wait and that is definitely the case with Sessegnon.

There is absolutely no rush with him, he is only 16 years of age and he is playing regular Championship football - the next youngest used player was Wolves' Morgan Gibbs-White who was 17 years and 18 days old when he played on February 14.

We all want to see him in a Fulham shirt next season - here are five reasons why I think he should stay at the Cottage for another year - at least.

He's only 16-years-old
Okay - this one is fairly obvious but it has as much credit to this argument as any other point.

When I was his age, I was preparing myself to take my first AS level exams in sixth form, not bagging a brace in front of 52,000 odd people at one of the biggest stadiums in the country against the league leaders.

This has been his breakthrough season and there is no need at all for him to rush into signing for a Liverpool or a Manchester United - another season under Slavisa Jokanovic's wing would do him the world of good.

Time is very much on Sessegnon's side at the moment.

He's playing regular Championship football
Sessegnon is getting something that a lot of experienced pros don't - he's getting regular Championship football at a club that is chasing the play-offs.

Most players at 16 are in the U18s, or at most, the U23s and for Sessegnon to be getting this level of exposure to first team Championship football is something that will only help his development as a footballer.

He is not only growing in levels of ability at the moment, but also in terms of experience and a move away could stop that if he wasn't to continue playing in his new club's first team.

If he moves to Liverpool, will he play most weeks like he is at Fulham? Possibly, but the rigours of Premier League and maybe Champions League football may mean he becomes an apprentice to a more senior left back, and god forbid, end up playing more U23 football.

That would be a great shame for both him and us as spectators.

Regular Championship football: Ryan Sessegnon

He's a local lad
The distance between Roehampton and Craven Cottage is about three miles, so he is about as local as you can get.

He joined the club at a young age and has come through the ranks, so he is in a environment that is perfect for his development at the moment.

His youth coaches are at the club if he needs advice from coaches he's known since an early age, while Jokanovic possesses superb man management skills which will ensure Sessegnon isn't overused, something which will harm his development.

He needs the right environment to mature and develop in and Fulham is the perfect place to do that at this moment in time.

He could be playing Premier League football with Fulham
Who knows?

The way the Cottagers are going at the moment, the play-offs are a real possibility, as is Premier League football next season.

If they make the top six come the start of May, they have every chance of winning the Play-Offs, no one would fancy playing Jokanovic's team in any one off fixtures.

Anybody would be tempted by Premier League football, but if he can get that at the club he's been with since he started his career why would he leave?

A season in the top flight of English football with his boyhood club would be perfect.

Celebration: Ryan Sessegnon at the death

He's adored by the fans
What is better than being adored by the fans of the club that you've been with since you were a youngster?

The Fulham faithful hold Sessegnon in such high regard as one of their own and it was clear to see how proud those fans were after he destroyed Newcastle with his two goals.

It's always nice for fans to have someone who has come through the ranks do so well for the club, and although each and everyone of them would wish nothing but the best should Sessegnon decide to leave in the summer, they would much rather see him continue his development at the club.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/five-reasons-liverpool-target-ryan-12779439

WhiteJC

Tayo On Target

Tayo Edun and Ryan Sessegnon helped England Under-19s get their Elite Round of qualifying for the European Championships off to the perfect start on Wednesday afternoon.

Edun played the full 90 minutes and netted the crucial second goal in the 3-0 win over Norway, while Sessegnon featured for 73 minutes before being replaced by Arsenal's Chris Willock.

Chelsea forward Mason Mount had given the Young Lions a half-time lead, one that Edun doubled in style a matter of seconds after the second period kicked off, with a bullet into the top corner from outside the area.

West Bromwich Albion's Sam Field made the result safe at St George's Park, with Sessegnon then shooting narrowly wide as England threatened to run riot.

They are next in action on Friday against Spain, who won their opening fixture 5-0, in what promises to be a riveting encounter as only the group winners will secure their place at the Finals in the summer.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/22/tayo-on-target

WhiteJC

Keep or axe? Jokanovic needs to make a decision on these 3 Fulham stars

After Fulham finished 20th in the Championship last season, this season could be regarded as a success for Fulham as they sit just outside of the play-off positions.

One of the reasons for Fulham's success this season has been the quality of recruitment which has seen the overall quality of Fulham's squad improve significantly.

As the quality of Fulham's squad has improved, some of the longer serving players at Fulham have found themselves on the margins of Fulham's first team squad.

Some of these players who feel that they should have a bigger role to play at Fulham have had to leave the club on loan in search of regular first team football.

In the summer, Slavisa Jokanovic will have a number of decisions to make regarding these players who may feel that their future lies elsewhere if they can't be guaranteed regular first team football.

FLW writer Elliott Wheat-Bowen looks at three Fulham stars Slavisa Jokanovic needs to make a decision about in the summer.

Cauley Woodrow

Having emerged from Fulham's academy, Cauley Woodrow joined the prestigious list of academy graduates who had featured for Fulham's first team.

At just the age of 22, Cauley Woodrow has made over 60 appearances for Fulham's senior side both in the Premier League and the Championship.

However, this season, Slavisa Jokanovic made the decision to allow Cauley Woodrow to leave on loan to fellow Championship side Burton Albion.

Since joining Nigel Clough's side, Cauley Woodrow has been extremely influential scoring four times in just nine league appearances for the Brewers including crucial winners against Nottingham Forest, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Norwich City.

With Burton Albion keen to sign Cauley Woodrow on a permanent basis in the summer, Slavisa Jokanovic will have to make the decision whether or not to keep or axe the 22-year-old striker.

Gohi Cyriac

With Fulham suffering from a shortage of strikers, it was crucial that Slavisa Jokanovic managed to bring one in before the transfer window closed.

Fulham had to wait until deadline day to bring in a striker as they announced the loan signing of Ivorian striker Gohi Cyriac from Belgian side KV Oostende.

Since making the temporary move to Fulham, the 26-year-old has made eight Championship appearances, all of which have been off the substitute bench.

Cyriac's only notable contribution for Slavisa Jokanovic's side was Fulham's second goal in their dramatic draw with Blackburn Rovers.

Despite the goal, Slavisa Jokanovic does not trust the former Anderlecht striker enough to give Cyriac the opportunity to make a starting appearance in  the Championship.

With Chris Martin set to return to Derby County in the summer, Slavisa Jokanovic will need to make the decision to either keep Cyriac and sign him on a permanent basis or allow the Ivorian international to return to Belgium.

Lasse Vigen Christensen

As part of a double loan move from Fulham to Burton Albion, Danish midfielder Lasse Vigen Christensen followed Cauley Woodrow to Burton Albion.

Lasse Vigen Christensen career path to becoming a Fulham academy graduate is an unusual one as he joined the London club's academy from Danish side Midtjylland.

After impressing for Fulham's Under 23 side, Christensen was promoted to Fulham's senior side where he had been a mainstay over the past three seasons.

However, this season, the Danish midfielder went through a difficult six month period which saw Christensen excluded from Fulham's match day squad since the end of September.

The 22-year-old midfielder was offered an unlikely escape by Burton Albion who had an offer to take the Danish Under 21 international on loan until the end of the season granted by Slavisa Jokanovic.

In the summer, Slavisa Jokanovic will have to make a decision about the frustrated midfielder who feels he should have a big role in the squad.

Jokanovic will have to decide whether to keep and utilise the Danish midfielder more frequently or sell the former Midtjylland midfielder.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/keep-or-axe-jokanovic-needs-to-make-a-decision-on-these-3-fulham-stars/

WhiteJC

Scotland new boy Tom Cairney enhances reputation

Scotland's Tom Cairney, centre, battles with Canada's Samuel Piette. Picture: SNS

For the vast majority of those involved, either on the sodden pitch or in the chilly stands, this was a Scotland match which will be quickly and happily erased from the memory banks.

At least one man will recall it fondly many years from now, however, as the night he made his senior debut in dark blue. Tom Cairney was also perhaps the only player wearing that colour to emerge with his reputation enhanced. The Fulham midfielder's display was one of the few positives Scotland manager Gordon Strachan could take from the 1-1 draw with Canada which did nothing to improve the gloomy narrative surrounding the national team. With Bournemouth winger Ryan Fraser not risked because of a slight hamstring problem, Cairney was the only debutant in Strachan's starting line-up. If this was an occasion for which very few could muster much enthusiasm, the former Hull City and Blackburn playmaker would certainly be among the exceptions to that prevailing mood. Nottingham-born Cairney has had to exercise considerable patience in his ambition to represent the country of his Scottish father but his widely lauded club form this 
season finally presented a compelling case for his inclusion which Strachan could not ignore. The Scotland manager himself described Cairney as the best midfield player in the highly competitive and physically demanding English Championship, where his nine goals and numerous assists for Fulham have contributed significantly to the London club's push for a return to the Premier League. As he made his first senior appearance for Scotland, the 26-year-old found himself lining up in central midfield alongside a man winning his 78th cap. Darren Fletcher, now third on the all-time Scotland appearance list behind only Kenny Dalglish and Jim Leighton, was the ideal mentor to bed Cairney in at international level.

In fairness to the newcomer, though, he displayed little sign of requiring his hand to be held. Cairney made a confident start and was arguably the most composed and accurate performer for the Scots in an opening period which provided so many uncomfortable moments for Strachan. As the home side looked to respond to the error-strewn concession of Fraser Aird's 11th-minute opener for 
Canada, Cairney was eager to provide a creative spark. He produced a couple of piercing passes into the visitors' area to get Scotland on to the front foot, creating openings which Chris Martin and then Lee Wallace were both unable to make the most of. Cairney also played his part in delivering Strachan the relief of an equaliser before half-time when he seized on a poor defensive clearance to drive in a shot which, while heading wide, allowed Steven 
Naismith to divert the ball home from close range. With the Celtic duo of Scott Brown and Stuart Armstrong not involved last night with Sunday's World Cup qualifier against Slovenia in mind, Cairney appears unlikely to retain a place in the starting line-up for that far more 
critical Hampden assignment.

But, as he left the field in the closing stages here, replaced by local favourite John McGinn, the new boy had certainly done no harm at all to his prospect of more regular involvement with Scotland over the next few seasons.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/scotland-new-boy-tom-cairney-enhances-reputation-1-4401114

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder gets international recognition as he is named as captain of Norway
The 26-year-old was handed the armband by Lars Lagerbäck ahead of his side's World Cup qualifier with Northern Ireland in Belfast on Sunday evening

The new Norway captain: Stefan Johansen (Photo: GLYN KIRK/AFP/Getty Images)

Stefan Johansen has been named as the new Norway captain by manager Lars Lagerbäck.

The Fulham midfielder was announced as his country's new skipper ahead of his side's World Cup qualifier against Northern Ireland in Belfast on Sunday, calling his selection a "great honour."

Johansen has been in familiar surroundings while on international duty with Norway using Motspur Park as their training ground in the run-up to the game with Northern Ireland.

The 26-year-old had been the favourite in the Norwegian press to be named as the new captain, and speaking after being handed the armband Johansen said: "As a young boy you dream of becoming a pro, and getting to represent your country as captain is obviously a great honour.

"What characterises me is that I am an honest person and I make demands of those around me.

"However, it is correct to say that the greatest requirements should be set for himself. I like to lead by good example.

"This group knows me well as a person, and if there is anything we can rectify so it is no problem to speak to me.

"As Lars says, good chemistry between the players and support is important."

Norway take on Northern Ireland at Windsor Park on Sunday in a 7.45pm kick off.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-midfielder-gets-international-recognition-12784323

WhiteJC

Former Fulham man Paul Konchesky believes Ryan Sessegnon should stay at Craven Cottage and make a name for himself
Konchesky played 97 times for Fulham in a three-year stint at the club and he reckons Sessegnon should stay at the club that are giving him a chance

Paul Konchesky believes Ryan Sessegnon should ignore possible suitors and say at Fulham and make a name for himself at Craven Cottage.

The 16-year-old has started doing exactly just that this season with some stunning displays for Slavisa Jokanovic's side, with his two goal brace against Newcastle United at St James' Park standing out.

Rumours on his future have gone into overdrive in recent weeks, but former Fulham fullback Konchesky thinks Sessegnon should stay and is astounded by the youngster's confidence.

Konchesky, speaking exclusively to 888Sport, said: "Obviously as an older player now I always like to see the younger players stay at the club they're getting a chance with and make a name for themselves. He's certainly doing that right now.

"Another big year with Fulham and you just don't know what's around the corner but if Fulham go up to the Premier League then why would he have to leave?

"He is obviously a very talented young boy but the confidence these players have these days you just wouldn't think he was sixteen years of age."

Fulham's English defender Ryan Sessegnon (L) celebrates scoring their third goal during the English FA Cup fourth round football match between Fulham and Hull City at Craven Cottage in London on January 29, 2017

The 35-year-old plays the same position as Sessegnon, and he believes the modern day full-back is more attack minded than they've ever been before.

"They're more like wingers now because you're not really allowed to tackle so full-backs aren't needed," he added.

"One mistimed tackle now and it's a booking and you're on edge straight away so that attack-minded full-back is coming more into play.

"I was a tackling full-back who liked to attack but refs now don't allow that. Milner at Liverpool gets away with it because a big club like Liverpool don't really need out-and-out defenders – they see so much of the ball they're always in the other half anyway."

Meanwhile, 888Sport also have Liverpool as the favourites to sign Sessegnon in the summer with odds available at 2/1 after the 16-year-old was recently linked with a move to Merseyside.

Elsewhere, you can odds of 6/1 for him to be a Celtic man in the summer, 9/2 on him signing for Everton, 10/1 on him ending up at Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford, while European giants Bayern Munich are 33/1 and Real Madrid at 50/1.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-fulham-man-paul-konchesky-12774112

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic craves simplicity of a 1-0 win, bemoaning soft goals against Wolves
Whites have not kept a clean sheet in their last six games

Slavisa Jokanovic looks downbeat after defeat to Wolves (Photo: Getty Images)

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has admitted that his team "concede too many goals" after their eight-game unbeaten run was ended by a resurgent Wolverhampton Wanderers side on Saturday.

Helder Costa was the tormenter in chief, laying the first and last goals on a plate for Ivan Cavaleiro and Dave Edwards respectively.

And Jokanovic was not happy with the concession of any of them.

He said: "Helder Costa killed us. There were two situations that weren't so dangerous for us, and he created things for his two team-mates to put it in the empty goal.

"We weren't solid enough to stop him, and if you concede two or three goals it's not easy to find a good result.

"We concede so many goals. I miss winning 1-0. We can avoid the first, second, and third goal if we're a little bit stronger and more solid in this kind of situation.

"We gave them some charity presents during the game, and we paid an expensive price for this situation."

Fulham go into the international break with just one point from their last two games now, with the manager admitting it is a good time to reflect.

He added: "This break that's in front of us is coming at a good time so we can recover our minds, recover our bodies, and get ready for the last eight games that are in front of us. Right now we are one point behind the top six.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-slavisa-jokanovic-craves-12763920

WhiteJC

English Starlet Signs On With Fulham: Massive Boost For Jokanovic?

Fulham squandered an excellent opportunity to leapfrog Sheffield Wednesday and earn the sixth place, i.e., the last playoff spot, as they were outclassed by a relegation-threatened side in the form of Wolverhampton Wanderers. Goals from Ivan Cavaleiro, Andreas Weimann and Dave Edwards for the Wolves were a bit too many to be nullified as Dennis Odoi's strike after coming on from the bench yielded no dividends.

Nonetheless, Slavisa Jokanovic has neatly constructed a formidable side which is making a late dash to earn a ticket back to the Premier League. In a gameweek when even the Owls had to succumb to Reading, a win for the Cottagers could have given them a two-point lead in the sixth place over Carlos Carvalhal's troops.

However, despite their failure to derive maximum benefits from what transpired on Saturday, Fulham are still in contention to be promoted.

Amidst a handful others, Ryan Sessegnon has been one of the torchbearers for the London-based outfit's handsome run this campaign in the Championship. Marauding strides have been taken by the 16-year-old sensation who has been a subject of intense speculation of late with respect to his future which is mainly owing to his calibre which has been put on display by him.

Fulham faithful, however, can breathe a sigh of relief as reportedly, Sessegnon is believed to have signed a new four-year-deal with Jokanovic's side.

The England Under-19 has registered 20 appearances for his current club which is also the club where he spent his youth career, scoring 4 goals and bagging 2 assists so far. Defensively speaking, he has made 1.7 tackles, 0.5 interceptions, 2 clearances and 0.1 blocks per game and no wonder he has been so highly rated by the football fraternity, particularly after how he destroyed Newcastle United last weekend by repeatedly outclassing Vurnon Anita on the flanks.

It was important for Fulham to tie Sessegnon down with them, for he is a modern-day left-sided full-back who can also play on the left wing. A brutally ruthless player whilst going forward, Sessegnon dribbles past the opponents' defence with ease and creates space for his teammates by pulling defenders towards him in the final third.

Moreover, he isn't caught over-committing himself forward and maintains a proper balance between his attacking and defensive endeavours which makes him a perfect utility player and thus, his contract extension is a massive boost for Fulham. While promotion this season will be a desperate aim, they also have to make sure a system is in place for a similar run next season.

http://the4thofficial.net/2017/03/fulham-youngster-signs-new-contract-massive-boost-club/

WhiteJC

Former Brighton and Leeds defender Adam Virgo shares disbelief as Fulham star left out of Championship team of the season

The 11 is dominated by Brighton & Hove Albion players, with Newcastle United, Leeds United, Huddersfield Town and Fulham also represented.

Former Brighton & Hove Albion and Leeds United defender Adam Virgo has shared his disbelief at one player's exclusion from the Championship's team of the season.

The 11 is dominated by Brighton players, with Glenn Murray, Anthony Knockaert, Lewis Dunk and David Stockdale all included.

Leeds United's Chris Wood and Pontus Jansson, Newcastle United's Dwight Gayle and Jono Shelvey, and Huddersfield Town's Aaron Mooy and Tommy Smith also feature, alongside Fulham's Scott Malone.

Yet despite his connection with two of those represented clubs, it is the absence of a Fulham player which has most irked Virgo - now known for his Football League punditry.

"Odd to pick a team of the year mid March. Never easy to do but how @ThomasCairney of @FulhamFC isn't there I will never know!!" Virgo posted on Twitter.

Cairney has scored nine goals and created another 10 from midfield this season, helping Fulham to the brink of a play-off place.

The 25-year-old is said to have attracted interest from league leaders Newcastle ahead of the January transfer window, and saw his form rewarded with a call-up to Gordon Strachan's Scotland squad this month.

Cairney's Fulham teammate Malone is the only player included from outside the current top four of Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield and Leeds.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/20/former-brighton-and-leeds-defender-adam-virgo-shares-disbelief-a/

WhiteJC

Malone In Team Of The Year

Scott Malone has been named in the Football Manager Team of the Season as part of the upcoming EFL Awards.

The XI was voted for by media representatives across the country, one for each of the 72 Football League clubs.

Malone has made 32 appearances for Fulham in his debut season at the Club, during which time he's had a hand in eight goals, scoring four himself and assisting the same amount for his teammates.

He is the only Whites player to make this Team of the Season, although a poll run by Sky Sports put Tom Cairney – at the time of writing – second in a list of individuals who fans feel should have made the cut.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/20/malone-in-team-of-the-year

WhiteJC

Ex-Fulham striker reveals why it's going so well for Queens Park Rangers right now

Queens Park Rangers star Matt Smith has explained why it's going well for the club right now on the back of five wins in seven matches.

The Hoops are one of the form sides in the Championship right now and scored five past Rotherham United on Saturday.

Smith has impressed since arriving at Loftus Road and he is certainly enjoying what boss Ian Holloway is trying to build.

The striker, who scored the opening goal at the weekend, believes it's a "work in progress" but does feel something special can happen looking to next season.

"I still think it's taking time having the team get to know each other and we're not the finished article," said Smith.

"Like anything, things like this don't happen overnight, it's a work in progress and we're starting to reap the benefits of the manager's philosophy and the lads are starting to gel a bit.

"But it's going to take a lot longer than a couple of months.

"We can feel that something is building here and the crowd sense that. We feel it in the dressing room."

And Smith has revealed that the squad at QPR is one of the best he's been part of so far in his career.

The 27-year-old says there a "no egos" or "bad eggs" which can be disruptive to the team spirit.

"I've been a in a few dressing rooms before and the team spirit here really is second to none," said Smith.

"Everyone wants to work for each other and there is, what I haven't seen before, maybe is a completely utter respect for every other person in the squad.

"It's an easy thing to say, but to truly believe it, I think everyone in that dressing room respects each other to the highest level possible, and ultimately the manager as well.

"I think the manager has just assembled a really good set of lads, and it boils down to character.

"Everyone wants to work hard for each other, there are no egos in there or bad eggs in there, which is, the higher you go the more common they're found, but it's a really good set of lads.

"It's a group of lads where everyone brings their own skill set. There are different qualities throughout the squad and I think as a team we'll only benefit from that."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-fulham-striker-reveals-its-12767926

WhiteJC

Shad Khan makes Forbes list of richest people on planet
Jaguars owner No. 158 on Forbes 2017 Billionaires List

Shad Khan, the owner and CEO of the Jacksonville Jaguars, London-based Fulham Football Club and founder of Flex-N-Gate Group, made Forbes' list of the richest people on the planet.

Khan, 66, ranked No. 158 on the magazine's 2017 billionaires list. He came in at No. 54 among U.S. billionaires.

His net worth is $8.2 billion.

A record 2,043 billionaires made Forbes' 31st annual ranking of the world's billionaires. Bill Gates remains in the top spot for the fourth year in a row and has been the richest person in the world for 18 out of the past 23 years. Gates has a fortune of $86 billion, up from $75 billion last year.

Forbes also released Monday how much President Donald Trump is currently worth. He ranks No. 544 on the list, worth $3.5 billion. 

http://www.news4jax.com/news/shad-khan-makes-forbes-list-of-richest-people-on-planet

WhiteJC

Fulham defender: This is how Jokanovic has us training during the international break

According to Get West London, Fulham defender Denis Odoi has claimed that Slavisa Jokanovic is not easing up on his training intensity despite there being many absentees during the international break.

Odoi admits to hoping for an easier session but he says that Slavisa Jokanovic has them working to their full capacity still in order to maintain condition.

Fulham cannot afford any more slip ups between now and the rest of the season if they are to achieve their goals.

They twice squandered the opportunity to leapfrog Sheffield Wednesday and climb into a play-off position: firstly, when lowly Blackburn struck an injury time equaliser against them and then again when they failed to beat struggling Wolves at Craven Cottage.

With eight games left, one point separates them from the top six so Jokanovic has kept the intensity up in training.

That comes despite Fulham missing ten first team players through international duty, although Odoi does predict that the sessions will ease up towards the weekend as there is no game.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-defender-this-is-how-jokanovic-has-us-training-during-the-international-break/

WhiteJC

Fulham are one of the top sides in the Championship for scoring late goals
We crunched the stats and Slavisa Jokanovic's side are one of the top teams in the Championship when it comes to scoring late goals

Last gasp equaliser: Tom Cairney celebrates his equaliser (Photo: Alex Pantling/GettyImages)

Fulham are one of the Championship's top teams when it comes to scoring late goals.

The Cottagers have scored eight goals either on or after the 90th minute of league matches, with only Sheffield Wednesday having scored more with nine to date.

That makes for interesting reading with both Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday fighting for sixth place and that last play-off position - and they have to play one another on the final day at Hillsborough.

Fulham's eight last minute goals work out at 12% of all the 66 league goals they've scored this season - 66 being the second most goals scored in the division, just four behind Newcastle United.

Tom Cairney has scored three of Fulham's second half injury time goals this season, his latest coming against Leeds United at the Cottage to grab a point at the death - only Blackburn's Sam Gallagher has scored as many.

At the other end of the pitch Fulham have conceded just three goals either on or after the 90th minute, but their last was costly when Lucas Joao popped up in the 94th minute when Blackburn played the Cottagers to deny them all three points in the 2-2 draw.

Rotherham have conceded the most with eight followed by Derby with seven - both of whom are Slavisa Jokanovic's next two games.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-one-top-sides-championship-12784556

WhiteJC

International Round-Up

There was a Scotland debut for Tom Cairney while Chris Martin, Tomas Kalas and Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson were also in action.

Tom Cairney was handed his Scotland debut at Easter Road last night as the home side came from behind to secure a 1-1 draw with Canada.

Fraser Aird, who plays his club football for Falkirk, opened the scoring for Canada on 11 minutes before Steven Naismith equalised with some help from Cairney.

The Fulham midfielder on debut had his shot saved by goalkeeper Simon Thomas but Naismith pounced on the loose ball and buried his attempt in the 35th minute.

Cairney completed 76 minutes before being replaced by John McGinn while Chris Martin started the game for Scotland and played 62 minutes before coming off for Leigh Griffiths.

The Scots will face Slovenia on Sunday at Hampden Park in what has been described as a 'must win' game by Head Coach Gordon Strachan for World Cup Qualification.

Tomas Kalas played the second-half of Czech Republic's 3-0 victory over Lithuania, with all three goals coming in the latter-half of the game.

Head Coach Karel Jarolim made 10 substitutions at half-time, which included bringing on Kalas for Tomas Sivok and it didn't take long for the changes to take effect.

Thomas Horava scored three minutes after coming on as a substitute and Jakub Jankto and Michal Krmencik added two more goals later on.

Next up for Kalas and his Czech team-mates is a World Cup Qualifier and an away trip to San Marino on Sunday.

In the Under 21s Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson started Iceland's 3-1 defeat against Georgia U21s, there will be a re-match between the two sides on Saturday with Iceland looking for an improved performance.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/23/international-round-up

WhiteJC

Fulham wonderkid Ryan Sessegnon wants to help get "his club" back to the Premier League
The 16-year-old has been at Fulham since the age of eight, along with twin brother Steven, and he has said that he "loves being at the club"

Ryan Sessegnon wants to help get Fulham back into the Premier League - where he says the club "belongs."

Speaking to FulhamFC TV in his first interview, the 16-year-old local boy spoke about how he loved being at the club where and twin brother Steven have grown up, having been there since the age of eight.

Sessegnon has become Fulham's most talked about man this season after putting in some jaw dropping performances, especially when you consider his young age, and they have seen him linked with moves away to some of the biggest clubs in the country.

But Sessegnon has only one thing on his mind at the moment, and that's getting Fulham back to the Premier League.

He said: "My ambition is to be the best that I can be - I'm a Fulham player, this is my club and I love being at this club and the opportunities I have had this season have been great.

"On a personal note, I want to help the team to gain promotion to the Premier League where we belong."

As a youngster, senior members of the team have taken Sessegnon under their wings to help him develop, but the 16-year-old has a special mention for captain Scott Parker, who he says has helped him out in his first season.

"I think I'm becoming a man, I'm maturing day-by-day," he added.

"The influence of being around men helps me and makes me be more professional.

"Everyone helps but in particular, Scott Parker, 100 per cent, what a person to be around, he's a great player and a great human being."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-wonderkid-ryan-sessegnon-wants-12785994

WhiteJC

Fulham summer signing finally living up to the hype, shows determination can save a career

Every professional footballer is talented, that's a fact.

If that weren't the case, everybody would be able to do what fans pay hundreds (or thousands) of pounds a year to go see, and football wouldn't be what it is today.

Of course, some players are blessed with far more talent than others, yet it's what they do with that gift that will decide how their professional career pans out.

For Neeskens Kebano, Fulham's summer signing from KRC Genk, it might have taken a bit longer than expected, but the Democratic Republic of the Congo international is finally getting recognised on a wider platform for his ability with the ball in his feet.

A product of the Paris Saint-Germain youth academy, which he joined from ASA Montereau at the age of 14, the now 25-year-old certainly looked like he was on the right track when he made his debut for the Ligue 1 champions at the age of 18, yet hope quickly turned into despair.

Making nine appearances in all competitions for PSG, even scoring a goal in a Coupe de France game against Le Mans, the youngster was shipped out to Caen on loan for the 2012-13 season, with the club hoping for further development, but things didn't exactly go to plan.

Six starts, 15 appearances, one goal and one assist certainly wasn't the output either side were expecting, with the player clearly not ready to leave his entire life in Paris behind and be loaned out.

However, that difficult time in the north of France was probably exactly what he needed

Coming to terms with the fact he wasn't quite at the level needed to break through in France, the player decided to look elsewhere in 2013, which led him to sign for Charleroi in Belgium.

Rejecting offers from France and other clubs abroad, the Fulham forward decided to choose a club 'that showed a lot of desire' to bring him in, which is where he started his quest to make a name for himself in Europe.

Two years at Charleroi saw him play 72 games for the Belgian side, scoring 23 goals and assisting 14 times, as well as earning him a new contract in December 2014 that would keep him at the club until 2017.

That wasn't to be, however, as KRC Genk, impressed by what the former Paris Saint-Germain starlet had shown, decided to spend around £3.5m on the young attacking midfielder in August 2015.

A year to the day, 46 games, nine goals and six assists later, and a move to England, albeit the Championship, presents itself, and the player jumped at the opportunity to join Fulham.

Playing in a far more broadcasted league, in stadiums filled with dedicated fans, and at a club determined to return to the Premier League after spending far too long in the second-tier, was too good to turn down, and a £3.8m move materialised.

Of course, like the vast majority of signings from abroad, a time to adapt was necessary.

Furthermore, Slavisa Jokanovic's struggles to find the right team meant the 25-year-old dropped in and out of the squad, unable to have the impact required.

Then came the Africa Cup of Nations, a much dreaded competition for a lot of teams, as key players leave to represent their countries at an awkward time midway through the season.

For Kebano, however, this would be the perfect break needed to regain the confidence and stamina he had struggled to find during the first few months of the season at Craven Cottage, and he came back a changed man.

Returning to London reinvigorated, having scored for his country, the attacking midfielder has now become a decisive force at Fulham, scoring the winner against Wigan in a second-half cameo, as well as scoring and assisting in a 3-1 win against Preston North End.

With three goals and three assists in his last nine appearances, Kebano has picked up form at the perfect time for Slavisa Jokanovic, with Fulham just one point behind sixth placed Sheffield Wednesday.

As a chance at promotion to the Premier League becomes a more and more realistic goal, with the playoffs within touching distance, upcoming games against Derby, Norwich and Huddersfield have become even more important.

Having now shown he is now able to play the full 90 minutes, we could see Fulham turn more and more towards Kebano for inspiration over the coming weeks, as the Congo international continues his career's resurrection.

And with Premier League clubs always keeping an eye on who performs in the playoffs, who knows what could happen if Fulham made it that far?

Having started his carer with so much hype around him, the 25-year-old has now put all of that behind him.

Determined to make it to the top, the Fulham attacking midfielder just wants to make a name for himself, proving those who thought he was just hype and no substance wrong along the way.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-summer-signing-finally-living-hype-shows-determination-can-save-career/

WhiteJC

Fulham Will Knock Sheffield Wednesday Out of Top Six – Neil Redfearn

Ex-Leeds United boss Neil Redfearn expects Fulham to replace Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship's top six by the end of the season.

With games running out in the campaign the race is on to book a top six spot and keep hopes of winning promotion to the Premier League through the playoffs alive.

Currently Huddersfield Town, Leeds United, Reading and Sheffield Wednesday sit third, fourth, fifth and sixth respectively.

Redfearn believes that Hudderfield, Leeds and Reading have all but nailed down their spots in the playoffs, however he thinks Sheffield Wednesday will be nudged out by seventh placed Fulham, who currently sit just one point behind the Owls and boast a vastly superior goal difference.

Eighth placed Norwich and ninth placed Preston North End have not given up hope of climbing their way into the top six, but Redfearn thinks it will be beyond the pair. 

"I think it's the five, with Sheffield Wednesday out of it and Fulham in for me. That makes up the six", the former Leeds boss said on Radio Yorkshire.

"I think when they [Fulham] say go, they go.

"I think they are the one [side outside the top six to get in there]. I just look at Norwich and they have a little bit of inconsistency.

"Preston, I think Simon [Grayson] has done fantastic for them, but no disrespect to that squad, but it's limited at this level", Redfearn added.

Fulham lock horns with rock bottom Rotherham United at the New York Stadium in their next Championship clash, at the start of April, while Sheffield Wednesday travel to Oakwell to play Barnsley.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/03/24/fulham-will-knock-sheffield-wednesday-out-of-top-six-neil-redfearn/330943/