watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (25/03/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 25, 2017, 08:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Burton Albion's Fulham loanee Lasse Vigen Christensen loses with Denmark under-21s in Spain

Lasse Vigen Christensen's Denmark under-21s side fell to a 3-1 defeat against Spain under-21s on Thursday.

Fulham loanee Christensen has been in superb form in the Burton Albion midfield during a run of two defeats from their last nine games.

It seemed that positive run of results may continue on the international stage in the early passages in Murcia, with Andrew Hjulsager giving the visitors an 11th-minute lead.

But the reply was a swift one from Spain, Mikel Merino nodding home from a corner.

The game stayed level well into the second half, before Saul Niguez headed Spain in front - and Denis Suarez then made sure of the friendly win in the 81st win by driving home a third for the hosts.

Christensen and his Denmark teammates will now prepare for a meeting with Cauley Woodrow's England under-21 side on Tuesday. England face Germany tonight.

Read more at http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/burton-albion-s-fulham-loanee-lasse-vigen-christensen-loses-with-denmark-under-21s-in-spain/story-30225599-detail/story.html#VHRygdS9KjJWTecK.99

WhiteJC

Elstone: Great Performance

The Under-18s played Everton at Goodison Park on Wednesday, beating the Toffees 3-0 in style at the famous ground.

Centre forward Michael Elstone got on the score sheet for the first, and it was his low cross into the box which was knocked in by an Everton defender for the second. Isaac Pearce finished it off with the third with an injury time goal to seal the victory.

That win puts the Whites second in Merit Group B, and ended a run of three consecutive draws.

"It was a really good performance from the team as a whole" commented Elstone. "We definitely worked hard for this result coming off the back of three consecutive draws.

"We knew that we needed to make sure that we got a win here and we did that.

"We were 2-0 up in the game and I thought that we definitely needed to get a third one to give us that safety

"We wanted to make sure they couldn't find a way back into the game by putting pressure on us in the final ten minutes of the match. It was good that we saw the game out and we got a clean sheet as well."

Asked about how he took his chance to get on the score sheet, Elstone replied "Marlon [Fossey] and Isaac [Pearce] worked it well down the right, and Marlon whipped the ball in.

"I managed to get in front of my defender, and get a kind of glancing header past the keeper. I don't score many headers often so I was happy with it.

"For the second goal I was played into the channel, managed to get past my man and put it into a dangerous area for the Everton defenders to cope with, and it luckily it ended up in the back of the net.

"It was a great feeling playing at Goodison Park," mentioned Elstone, "it was a really good experience for some of us, its something you don't get to do a lot as an Under-18, and making it 3-0 made it even better.

"Our aim now is to top this group that we are in, I know we can do it and coming off the back of this win at Everton we have all the confidence to get a result against Derby."

The Under-18s next match is at home against Derby at Motspur Park Saturday 1st April, 1pm kick off.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/24/elstone-great-performance

WhiteJC

Exclusive: The three Championship stars Newcastle fans want Benitez to sign

Newcastle United look set to return to the Premier League at the first time of asking this summer, but the real challenge comes next season – when the Magpies will have to hold their own in the increasingly competitive English top flight.

Indeed, Rafa Benitez will need to make a few more signings in the coming transfer window to further boost an impressive squad and most expect Newcastle to turn to foreign leagues once again, the main recruitment strategy during their last stint in the Premier League.

But that transfer policy caused as many problems as it solved for last time and there's plenty of quality in the Championship, already well-acquainted with the unique challenges of English football. Indeed, it's the most lucrative, most watched and most competitive second tier in the world by some distance.

With that in mind, we asked Newcastle fans earlier this week to vote for which Championship stars from rival clubs they'd like to see Benitez move for this summer. The results of our exclusive poll are now in, so here's a rundown of the top three...

3. Anthony Knockaert

A very strong candidate for Player of the Year, nobody in the Championship has excited Brighton fans and neutrals alike quite like Anthony Knockaert this season. Borderline unstoppable when coming inside on his left foot, the French magician has conjured up 13 goals and seven assists in 37 outings this term, serving as the Seagulls' talisman as they look to hold onto the second automatic promotion spot. Knockaert's top flight dream turned into a nightmare at Leicester City but whether it's with Brighton or another club, he looks almost certain to be running at defences in the Premier League next term.

2. Ryan Sessegnon

Is there a more impressive youngster in English football right now? Indeed, Ryan Sessegnon is just 16 years of age and more often than not lines up at left-back, but already has six senior goals under his belt after making his Fulham debut this season – including a brace against Newcastle earlier this month and a strike past Premier League outfit Hull City in the Third Round of the FA Cup. Quickly gaining admirers from the very top end of the Premier League, however, any potential interest from Newcastle is likely to be dwarfed.

1. Tom Cairney

The second Fulham star to make the top three and with good reason – promotion may be prove to be beyond the west Londoners this season but they've been good value, scoring the second-most goals of any Championship side. Our poll's winner Tom Cairney has been crucial in that, creating a staggering 95 chances, nine of which were converted, and putting away a further nine himself. Having also thoroughly impressed during his time at Blackburn Rovers and upon his debut for the Scottish national team, the 26-year-old looks more than ready for top flight football and could be a realistic rival star for Newcastle to bring with them to the Premier League.

https://www.footballfancast.com/debate/poll-results/exclusive-the-three-championship-stars-newcastle-fans-want-benitez-to-sign

WhiteJC

Fulham Will Knock Sheffield Wednesday Out of Top Six – Neil Redfearn

Ex-Leeds United boss Neil Redfearn expects Fulham to replace Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship's top six by the end of the season.

With games running out in the campaign the race is on to book a top six spot and keep hopes of winning promotion to the Premier League through the playoffs alive.

Currently Huddersfield Town, Leeds United, Reading and Sheffield Wednesday sit third, fourth, fifth and sixth respectively.

Redfearn believes that Hudderfield, Leeds and Reading have all but nailed down their spots in the playoffs, however he thinks Sheffield Wednesday will be nudged out by seventh placed Fulham, who currently sit just one point behind the Owls and boast a vastly superior goal difference.

Eighth placed Norwich and ninth placed Preston North End have not given up hope of climbing their way into the top six, but Redfearn thinks it will be beyond the pair. 

"I think it's the five, with Sheffield Wednesday out of it and Fulham in for me. That makes up the six", the former Leeds boss said on Radio Yorkshire.

"I think when they [Fulham] say go, they go.

"I think they are the one [side outside the top six to get in there]. I just look at Norwich and they have a little bit of inconsistency.

"Preston, I think Simon [Grayson] has done fantastic for them, but no disrespect to that squad, but it's limited at this level", Redfearn added.

Fulham lock horns with rock bottom Rotherham United at the New York Stadium in their next Championship clash, at the start of April, while Sheffield Wednesday travel to Oakwell to play Barnsley.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/03/24/fulham-will-knock-sheffield-wednesday-out-of-top-six-neil-redfearn/330943/