https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (03/04/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 03, 2017, 07:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jokanovic buoyed by Fulham's 'great step' forward
by Dan on April 2, 2017

Slavisa Jokanovic described Fulham's victory at Rotherham yesterday as 'a great step' in their push for a Championship play-off place.

The Whites moved into the top six for the first time since mid-September after Sone Aluko ended an extraordinary goalmouth scramble to prod home the goal that relegated the Millers from no more than a couple of yards out. Jokanovic was pleased his side displayed the composure and patience to break down a resolute Rotherham side who had started the contest well.

It's a great step for us, after a very tough game. We knew we'd have to concentrate to score the goal and finish the game without making too many mistakes. I've said before that I miss 1-0 victories, and we scored one goal and finished the game with a clean sheet. In the end we found this kind of situation, and this is good news for us.

The Serbian head coach insisted that Fulham paid little attention to events in the early kick off 15 miles away at Oakwell, where Angus MacDonald's injury-time header saw Sheffield Wednesday stumble once again.

We tried to be focused on our job and thinking about what we can do in this competition. We weren't thinking about Sheffield Wednesday, about teams in front or behind us.

It's simple, we tried to focus on our job and try to find our best performance, especially in what is a crucial part of the competition. We must be focused and concentrate on not making mistakes, and try to win as many points as possible.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/04/jokanovic-buoyed-by-fulhams-great-step-forward/

WhiteJC

Fulham 'fought for our lives,' says McDonald
by Dan on April 2, 2017

Kevin McDonald was delighted that Fulham ground out a vital win at the New York Stadium yesterday – and believes that sort of gritty performance is exactly what the Whites will need if they are to reach the Championship play-offs.

The Scottish midfielder felt that Fulham's progression into the top six – which came courtesy of a scrappy winner from Sone Aluko – has been in a long time in coming. Remaining in the play-off positions in a ridiculously competitive and unpredictable league will require different reserves of character, too. McDonald, speaking to GetWestLondon after the final whistle yesterday, felt that relegated Rotherham offered a real test:

It was long overdue and we've had a couple of chances to get in there and we've done it after which, for me, was one of the toughest games of the season. We just edged it but they had a couple of chances but luckily enough we got the three points.

I think the pitch wasn't ideal and it was really slow and bobbly and it was a game between two different types of teams – they want to play the long ball and they were good at it today, while we try to play football.

That's us, we try to play football all the time and we really struggled to play it today and our pass completion rate was probably the lowest of the season today but sometimes to get promoted you need games like that where you fight for your lives and I felt we did that today.

McDonald admitted that Sheffield Wednesday's failure to win at Barnsley gave Fulham a boost prior to kick off, but was relieved that the Whites managed to take advantage of another stumble by the Owls.

We went out for the warm up and there were rumours floating around that it was 1-1 and heard it was when we came back in and obviously it gives you an extra incentive but we knew we had to win regardless of their result so thank god we did.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/04/fulham-fought-for-our-lives-says-mcdonald/

WhiteJC

Derby County news: Gary Rowett to get tough, Johnny Russell's honest assessment

Attentions have firmly switched to Derby County's Championship game with Fulham on Tuesday.

After beating Queens Park Rangers 1-0 on Friday, Gary Rowett's side are back at Pride Park Stadium hoping to keep their play-off hopes alive with a win against sixth-placed Fulham.

Derby survived a late scare on Friday night against QPR, and manager Gary Rowett admitted he will get tough with his players to ensure that pattern isn't repeated.

They almost conceded another late equaliser from a corner, just as they did in the 2-2 draw against Nottingham Forest.

Rowett said: "I spoke to the players afterwards and it was the one thing I forget to mention because I was so pleased we won the game.

"If I did my team talk again I would give them a telling off for that one because after such a dominant performance if we had lost points on a lack of concentration, aggression and doing the things that win you games it would have been cruel.

On Tuesday's opponents, Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic says that he isn't thinking about his side's Championship rivals after a 1-0 win over Rotherham United saw them sneak into the top six.

Sheffield Wednesday conceded a late equaliser in the South Yorkshire derby against Barnsley and dropped to seventh.

"We tried to be focused on our job and thinking about what we can do in this competition," he said. "We weren't thinking about Sheffield Wednesday, about teams in front or behind us."

Darren Bent's superb volley for Derby County against Wolverhampton Wanderers has been shortlisted in the top five EFL goals of the year.

An original list of 10 strikes was submitted for stand-out goals in the calendar year, with supporters then able to pick their favourite from the list.

And, following the public vote, Bent's effort has made the top five. The final shortlist was revealed on Football on 5 on Saturday night.

Former Leeds United manager Neil Redfearn labelled Derby County's play-off hopes as unrealistic.

The Rams beat Queens Park Rangers 1-0 at Pride Park Stadium on Friday night in Gary Rowett's first home game as manager.

That result, coupled with Saturday's Championship games, has left Derby eight points off the play-offs, with seven games left to play.

Gary Rowett felt Bradley Johnson was Derby County's "star man" in the victory over Queens Park Rangers but admitted the midfielder is not playing in his best position.

Johnson has screened the back four as part of a central midfield pairing with Craig Bryson in Rowett's two games in charge.

"Jonno gave us that defensive power in the way he screened their striker, Matt Smith, but I think long term he (Johnson) is better one step further forward marauding and getting into the box."

Matej Vydra has been urged to show more self-belief by manager Gary Rowett.

Vydra, an £8.5m-plus summer signing from Watford, is enjoying a new lease of life with the Rams.

He has scored three goals in his last four matches including the winner against Queens Park Rangers on Friday night.

"He's been great and sometimes, perhaps, he just needs to believe in himself a bit more," said Rowett.

Johnny Russell has given a brutally honest assessment of his performances this season.

The 26-year-old has made 32 first-team appearances this term, including 25 starts. He has started both matches under new manager Gary Rowett.

"My performances this season have been nowhere near acceptable. I know that and I'll take that on the chin. It's no-one else's fault but mine."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-recap-gary-rowett-to-get-tough-johnny-russell-s-honest-assessment/story-30244339-detail/story.html#glRUdUmpYGgDdOBX.99