7 - 1 Reading
Nottm Forest
2 - 0 Huddersfield
Wigan
3 - 2 Rotherham
Sheff Wed
2 - 1 Newcastle

WhiteJC

Fulham 3-1 Ipswich Town: Player ratings as Marcus Bettinelli impresses on his return to the side
It was business as usual at the Cottage as goals from Floyd Ayite, Scott Malone and Stefan Johansen gave Fulham all three points.

Celebration time: Fulham celebrate their goal (Photo: Paul Burgman)

Goals from Floyd Ayite, Scott Malone and Stefan Johansen ensured Fulham finished the week off with a flourish as they eased to victory against a lacklustre Ipswich Town side.

Slavisa Jokanovic made three changes from the midweek defeat to Derby, choosing Marcus Bettinelli in goal in place of David Button, while Michael Madl and Chris Martin were preferred to Tim Ream and Lucas Piazon.

It was an interesting first period with Ipswich starting the better, but Fulham eventually got into the game and should've been ahead when Martin got on the end of a cross in the six yard box, but as he went to pull the trigger he slipped, and with that slip the chance went begging.

But it didn't take too much longer for the hosts to get their noses in front when Ayite pounced on the rebound after Bartosz Bialkowski made a good save from Martin's curling effort 18 minutes into the tie.

Fulham doubled their lead in the 29th minute when Malone got on the end of some lovely one-touch football to pass the ball into the bottom corner of Bialkowski's goal.

Ipswich thought they had clawed a goal back in the final minute of the 45 when David McGoldrick stabbed the ball goalwards from the edge of the box, but his strike rebounded off the post and away to safety.

The away side nearly got back into the game in the first seconds of the second half when Freddie Sears glanced his effort wide, before a lovely ball by Stefan Johansen played in Ryan Fredericks, but Ayite was unable to direct the strike goalwards before he saw his free kick pushed onto the corner of bar and post.

Johansen made it three when Fulham broke after McGoldrick was denied by Bettinelli down the other end - the Norwegian cutting inside and firing the ball low past the Ipswich keeper with half an hour left to play.

But Christophe Berra grabbed a consolation with only seconds left in the tie with his head to deny the home side a clean sheet.

Bettinelli 8: Pulled off a number of superb stops to deny Ipswich a goal, with the point blank save from Sears sticking out. Got a chance to stake his claim for the number one jersey and he took it with both hands. Will be disappointed not to have a cleansheet.

Fredericks 7: Was in fine form down the right flank as his masquerading runs ensured a constant outlet for the midfield three to find time after time.

Malone 8: Got Fulham's second when he was on the receiving end of some easy on the eye one-touch football to pass the ball into the net.

McDonald 7: Again in good form in the anchor role as he allowed Cairney and Johansen to push forward - could've got himself a goal was it not for a good save from Bialkowski in the Ipswich net.

Cairney 7: Pulled the strings in the Fulham midfield once again and was always looking for the killer pass in and around the 18-yard box. Will be disappointed to have not gone on the scoresheet today but a solid game from the captain.

Ayite 8: Added to his two goals in midweek when he pounced on a rebound to open the scoring at the Cottage. Was once again a threat for Fulham all game from the right win, with his cutting inside a particular highlight.

Johansen 7: Got himself a nicely taken goal in a solid performance at the Cottage. Played a role in Malone's goal as his one touch football ensured Malone a path through to goal.

Madl 6: Had a pretty decent game but was hauled off in the 58th minute for Ream - didn't put a foot wrong but was out muscled by McGoldrick in the first half which gifted the away side a chance.

Aluko 6: Had a quiet game by his standards with not many chances to write home about.

Martin 7: A solid game from the forward - he caused the Ipswich Town centre backs a number of problems with his physicality up top, while his play as a hold up man ensured both Aluko and Ayite were able to push on and cause problems.

Kalas 6: A quiet game at centre back for Kalas, but he did what he needed to do well and marshaled the front two of McGoldrick and Sears fairly well.

Subs:

Ream 6: Was lucky once again to not see red as he tugged back McGoldrick with 17 minutes left on the clock.

Piazon N/A: Didn't have enough time to have much of an impact on the game.

Kebano N/A: As with Piazon, he came on with five minutes remaining and didn't have enough time to impact proceedings.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/fulham-3-1-ipswich-town-12866156

WhiteJC

Floyd Ayite on target again as Fulham maintain play-off push

Floyd Ayite scored his third goal in four days as Fulham beat Ipswich 3-1 victory to maintain their play-off push.

Ayite opened the scoring for the Cottagers in the 17th minute before Scott Malone doubled their advantage on the half-hour mark and Stefan Johansen made the game safe in the second half.
Christophe Berra's injury-time header proved to be only scant consolation for Ipswich.
Manager Slavisa Jokanovic responded to his side losing 4-2 at Derby by replacing much criticised keeper David Button for Marcus Bettinelli, while Tim Ream lost out to Michael Madl.
For Ipswich, Mick McCarthy made one replacement from the side that beat Wigan 3-0 with Tommy Smith replacing the injured Steven Taylor.
The home side started the game on the front foot, with an intent to attack, and they took the lead after 17 minutes.
Ipswich goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski was forced into a fine save from a low Chris Martin shot, before Ayite netted his third goal in four days from the rebound.
Ipswich struggled to get into the game, their first effort being a 28th minute shot from Freddie Sears which hit the side netting after a break from the halfway line.
Fulham doubled the lead two minutes later, when Malone was left unchallenged in the area to curl his effort home past Bialkowski.
The home side were still looking for a third strike, and Bialkowski had to be equal to a 39th minute curler from the edge of the box by Kevin McDonald.
David McGoldrick put his effort wide on the stroke of half time for the visitors, who looked to toil in the Craven Cottage sunshine.
After his recovery from a groin injury, Tom Lawrence was put on in the second half for Ipswich, with Tommy Smith making way.
However, it was Fulham who had the first effort of note in the second half, when a free kick by Ayite on 50 minutes rattled the crossbar.
Bettinelli was forced into action on 53 minutes with a fantastic point blank save with his foot, after Sears collected a rolled pass from McGoldrick.
The game was effectively over on the hour mark, although not before the Fulham goalkeeper had to keep out a McGoldrick drive, when Johansen found space in the box, before turning inside and slotting home.
Bialowski had to hold another curling effort from Ayite on 65 minutes, although the game was to settle into a pattern where the hosts were more than comfortable.
Ayite was substituted to a rousing reception on 86 minutes, with Neesens Kebano replacing him.
However, despite a Berra header in injury time for Ipswich, the west London outfit ran out deserved winners - and kept their play-off hopes alive.

https://www.clubcall.com/ipswich-town/floyd-ayite-on-target-again-as-fulham-maintain-play-off-push-1847761.html

WhiteJC

VILLA: ON THE WHISTLE MATCH REPORT

BURTON Albion picked up a valuable point in a 1-1 draw against Aston Villa this afternoon.

Brewers manager Nigel Clough made four changes from Wednesday's 1-0 defeat to Newcastle United. Cauley Woodrow, Kyle McFadzean, Lloyd Dyer and Michael Kightly came in for John Mousinho, Lasse Vigen Christensen, Lucas Akins and Luke Varney. Akins, Mousinho and Varney dropped to the bench alongside Stephen Bywater, Damien McCrory, Tom Naylor and Will Miller.

Aston Villa took the lead early in the 3rd minute through Jonathan Kodjia who ran onto a ball after Brewers defender Ben Turner attempted a back-pass which found Kodjia who slotted the ball past Jon McLaughlin inside the area.

After a good spell of pressure the Brewers were starting to grow back into the game. They nearly got their reward from Woodrow after some good play in the midfield, the ball found Marvin Sordell on the left who drilled a cross across the box but Villan Nathan Baker got their first ahead of Woodrow and cleared for a corner.

Goal scorer Kodjia limped off injured in the 36th minute and was replaced by Scott Hogan. In the 42nd minute the Brewers almost equalised with their best chance of the half. Michael Kightly who was found in the area after good work on the left from Lloyd Dyer. Kightly's effort inside the box beat keeper Sam Johnstone but hit the post and was cleared by Villa defender Neil Taylor.

HT: Burton Albion 0 Aston Villa 1

Neither side made any changes during the break and it was Burton who started brightly and created a few half-chances through good work from Lloyd Dyer down the left side. Villa responded with their own as Jordan Amavi had the chance to make it 2-0 but his effort inside the area was blocked by defender John Brayford.

In the 58th minute Sordell had a great chance to level after a good cross from Kightly on the right but his headed effort went just over Johnstone's bar.

GOAL: Burton drew level through a stunning strike from winger Lloyd Dyer who smashed an absolute screamer into the top right corner past a helpless Johnstone from the left of the area.

Villa had the next best chance after Baker's header from a free-kick found Alan Hutton who's volley hit his own player in Hogan and was cleared away by the Brewers.

Brewers almost took the lead in the 80th minute as a Brayford cross from the right found Akins who's shot on the turn clipped the bar. Villa responded in the 82nd minute down their right when an Hutton cross found Amavi who's header went over McLaughlin's bar.

In injury time Ben Turner made a last ditch challenge to block a Leandro Bacuna effort  from going on target and was the last chance of the game

FT: Burton Albion 1 Aston Villa 1

Attendance: 6716

Michael's man of the match: Lloyd Dyer for his screamer of a goal and constant threat down the left hand side.

Read more at http://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/villa-on-the-whistle-match-report-3663442.aspx#WPhsv3FQV4FXULmk.99

WhiteJC

Head Coach Reaction

Manager Slaviša Jokanović was delighted with his team's performance in the 3-1 win over Ipswich Town and says that they were unlucky not to secure a clean sheet.

"I am always happy when we win three points," said Jokanović, "I am happy with the reaction. After the defeat against Derby we were a little bit confused why we lost the game when we played many minutes of good football.

"But we made the wrong decision in crucial moments during the game. Today we showed the character and our ambition and played with confidence.

"We scored three goals and we could have scored some more goals, to be honest we were in some kind of trouble during the game but this time we knew better how to survive these moments.

"We should have finished the game with a clean sheet, we were so close, at the end they scored the goal and I'm not sure if the situation was legal or illegal but generally I am happy.

"From the other side we are a Championship team and there is a huge and massive space for us to improve, for now we will try and improve ourselves and find our best performance for this critical moment in the competition, with five games in front of us."

Speaking on the decision to replace David Button with Marcus Bettinelli Jokanović spoke about how lucky he is to have two fantastic goalkeepers to choose from.

"First of all David Button is a fantastic man, he has done a fantastic job in these 40 games that are behind us.

"I am always looking for what I believe is best for my team, I take this decision at the end and Marcus Bettinelli completed a very good performance, he must be happy with those 90 minutes.

"We were so close to getting a clean sheet, we didn't do it but I expect in the next game we can make improvements.

"David Button has done a fantastic job for us, he is a great man, really professional. He took the decision really well and I am sure he will be ready if the team needs him, he will be available.

"From the other side that is part of football, I make decisions and I try always to make the best decision for my team."

Fulham's style of play has often been lauded by opposition managers but it has left them open at the back at times, Jokanović says that if improvements are made there is no need to change the way that we play.

"I explained that there is massive space for this team to improve and from the other side we try and follow this kind of style because we believe this is the best and easiest way for us to win the game.

"In one football game the situation changes all the time and we expect some bad moments in not just this game, but all the games and we must be more experienced, with more personality and be more solid to survive these bad moments.

"If I compare teams in front of us like Newcastle or Brighton, I am not sure that they play better football than what we play but I am sure they are more quiet in crucial moments in the game, they are more solid and they survive difficult moments during the game, more easier than us.

"We need to improve, I am talking about my team, not just the defensive part of Fulham but in general we need to say in these moments we will be compact, we must be tight, find the right distance and stick around our goal and don't give the opposition easy goals.

"In this last game against Derby we opened the door so easy for them and they punished us so hard, we must avoid these kind of situations and be more competitive and more brave and more experienced in these moments.

"This short period which is in front of us we must improve this part of our game, and this part of the game can push us into the top six.

"We can still try and play better football, try and pass accurately and play with more skill than the opposite team.

"We can reduce the time that we spend in the defensive part of the game but I will try still to dominate the game and be more quiet in these moments.

"There are five games before the end of the regular part of the season and I believe my players can do a great job and I believe they will push themselves for the best performance in this last crucial period of the Championship and that's it, I can't ask for a different way."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/08/head-coach-reaction-ipswich

WhiteJC

BOSS | A CASE OF MISSED OPPORTUNITIES

The gaffer admits Town need to be more ruthless in front of goal but felt the 3-0 scoreline flattered Fulham this afternoon

Mick McCarthy felt the scoreline perhaps flattered Fulham this afternoon, with Town denied on a number of occasions by Whites stopper Marcus Bettinelli.

The Blues lost 3-1 at Craven Cottage, with Christophe Berra's late strike in vain as Fulham were already 3-0 up thanks to goals from Floyd Ayite, Scott Malone and Stefan Johansen.

"I believe the scoreline flatters them and on another day we could have come away with something, but we've given away some soft goals today," the boss told the official Club website.

"We had our chances, certainly in the second-half and we spoke at half-time about how important the next goal would be.

"Unfortunately they got it, when they shouldn't have done and then the game is out of reach of us. We should have scored more today, we've certainly created enough chances.

"Slavisa [Jokanovic] will probably be delighted that he changed his goalkeeper because he's made some really good saves today.

"We've got two big games coming up against Burton and Newcastle and we will have to be more ruthless in front of goal if we want to get anything out of those two games. But we've performed well today."

Read more at http://www.itfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/mick-mccarthy-reflects-on-ipswich-towns-defeat-to-fulham-3664889.aspx#ipU5ZD2Cjc7lO7rC.99

WhiteJC

Change of keeper helped the team - Jokanovic

Fulham overcame Ipswich Town 3-1 at Craven Cottage.

Goals from Floyd Ayite, Scott Malone and Stefan Johansen were enough to keep the West London side in playoff contention.
Button was criticised for his performance against Derby last week, and Jokanovic was prepared to make changes.
"It is my job. Button is a fantastic man, he did a fantastic job for us," he said.
"I am always looking for the best for my team, and Bettinelli completed a very good performance.
"I don't take decisions on what is best for one person, I take decisions for what is best for my team.
"I am always happy when we have won three points. I am happy with the reaction with the defeat against Derby, we were a little bit confused why we lost the game.
"Today, we showed character and ambition and we played with confidence. We scored three goals and we could have scored more."
Fulham took the lead after 18 minutes when Ipswich goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski was forced to parry a low Chris Martin shot before Ayite netted his third goal in five days from the rebound.
Fulham doubled the lead on the half-hour mark when Scott Malone was left unchallenged in the area to curl his effort past Bialkowski.
Bettinelli was forced into action on 53 minutes with a fantastic point-blank save with his foot after Freddie Sears collected a rolled pass from David McGoldrick.
The game was effectively over on the hour mark when Stefan Johansen found space in the box before turning inside and slotting home.
Despite a Christophe Berra header providing a consolation for Ipswich, the West London outfit ran out deserving winners to leave visiting boss Mick McCarthy dismayed at his side failing to take their chances.
"It's frustrating really, we made good chances and in the second half we had three great chances. But it's the tale of our season," he said.
"They didn't defend particularly well either.
"I didn't think we were bad in the first half, we just gave two soft goals away. But they were good finishes by Fulham.
"Scoring goals was the difference today. Reality is, we should have scored after half-time but their keeper has made good saves and we've not managed to score.
"It was a much better team we played today, they're a really good side."

- See more at: http://www.sportinastorm.com/Championship/Ipswich-Town/Change-of-keeper-helped-the-team---Jokanovic/X2Y38Z2260486#sthash.4ndxP8h1.dpuf

WhiteJC

Fulham 3 - 1 Ipswich Town

Stefan Johansen has scored eight league goals this season

Fulham got their Championship play-off push back on track with a comfortable win over Ipswich.

The Whites took the lead when Floyd Ayite scored his third goal in four days after Town goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski could only parry Chris Martin's effort.

Scott Malone made it 2-0 before the break before Stefan Johansen made the points safe with a measured finish.

Christophe Berra headed in a stoppage-time consolation for the visitors.

Despite the victory, Slavisa Jokanovic's men remained seventh after Sheffield Wednesday's win over promotion-chasing Newcastle in Saturday's late game.

Fulham, who had fallen to a 4-2 defeat at Derby on Tuesday, had almost secured victory within the first 30 minutes after Malone's goal added to Ayite's strike.

Mick McCarthy's men improved after the break and David McGoldrick twice went close before Johansen scored the home side's third.

Defeat left Ipswich in 17th, nine points clear of the relegation zone with five games to play.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic: "I am always happy when we have won three points.

"I am happy with the reaction with the defeat against Derby, we were a little bit confused why we lost the game.

"Today, we showed character and ambition and we played with confidence. We scored three goals and we could have scored more."

Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy: "It's frustrating really, we made good chances and in the second half we had three great chances. But it's the tale of our season.

"I didn't think we were bad in the first half, we just gave two soft goals away. But they were good finishes by Fulham.

"Scoring goals was the difference today. Reality is, we should have scored after half-time but their keeper has made good saves and we've not managed to score.

"It was a much better team we played today, they're a really good side."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39462801

WhiteJC

Fulham can still improve – Jokanovic

Slavisa Jokanovic believes Fulham can still improve as they chase a play-off spot in the final games of the season.

The Whites boosted their promotion hopes with 3-1 win at home to Ipswich.

"We are a top Championship team but in front of us there is a massive space to improve," the head coach said.

"We are going to try to improve and find our best performances for this critical point of the season, with five games in front of us.

"If you compare us with teams like Newcastle or Brighton, I'm not sure they play better football than we play, but they are more solid in crucial moments of the game and survive them more easily than we do.

"We can expect some bad moments to arrive in all games and we must be more solid, and have more personality and experience, to survive these kinds of moments.

"I am always happy when we win three points and I am happy with the reaction after the defeat against Derby.

"Today we showed the character and ambition to play with confidence. We could have scored more."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-top-championship-team-can-still-improve-jokanovic

WhiteJC

Sheffield United eye summer move for Fulham's Lasse Vigen Christensen after return to the Championship

The Denmark Under 21 international has spent half the season on loan at Burton
    Lasse Vigen Christensen is keen to have a fresh start after this season
    The 22-year-old midfielder had a trial at Arsenal when he was a teenager

Sheffield United are among the clubs taking keen interest in Fulham's Lasse Vigen Christensen.

The Denmark Under 21 international has been performing well while on loan at fellow Championship side Burton Albion and is looking to make a fresh start in the summer.

The 22-year-old midfielder, who can also play at right-back and had a trial with Arsenal as a teenager, has one year left on his contract at Craven Cottage.

Sheffield United have eyed up Fulham's Lasse Vigen Christensen as a summer addition

He has also attracted interest from the likes of Celtic and Birmingham City.

Christensen has figured in 13 games for Burton since being signed by Nigel Clough on a temporary deal in January.

Sheffield United confirmed their return to the Championship on Saturday after beating Northampton 2-1, meaning a summer move to Bramall Lane would see Christensen remain in the second tier.

Christensen (left) has made 13 appearances on loan for Burton Albion since joining in January

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4394334/Sheffield-United-eye-Fulham-s-Lasse-Vigen-Christensen.html#ixzz4djpPsQrU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday fans hopeful after thumping win against Newcastle

Sheffield Wednesday picked up a massive win against Newcastle United on Saturday in their quest to make the Championship play-offs, just hours after Fulham had leapfrogged them in the table.

A Fulham victory against Ipwsich Town had moved them above Carlos Carvalhal's side ahead of an evening kick-off at Hillsborough, but goals from Tom Lees and Steven Fletcher were enough to put the Owls back into the play-off positions.

It's their second victory in a week after a mid-week win over Rotherham and with just five games remaining, their chances of making the hallowed play-offs are looking good.

The race for that sixth position appears to all be heading towards a final day showdown on 7th May when Wednesday will take on Fulham at Hillsborough.

Supporters are hopeful though and were delighted to see such an assured performance against Rafa Benitez's Newcastle, a team who are all but certain to reach the English Premier League through automatic promotion.

https://www.footballfancast.com/social-media/twitter/sheffield-wednesday-fans-hopeful-after-thumping-win-against-newcastle

WhiteJC

Three Championship strikers Fulham should target in the summer

Fulham have been one of the surprise packages in the Championship this season, and with a promotion bid set firmly set in their sights, a return to the Premier League could be on the cards.

Their 1-0 victory over now-relegated Rotherham United on Saturday lifted the Cottagers into the play-off places. With just seven games to play, Slavisa Jokanovic's side are hitting form at the right time. What makes their position in the league all the more impressive is their limited options up front.

Their two natural centre forwards, Cyriac and Chris Martin, are both on-loan at the club and look likely to depart Craven Cottage at the end of the season. Whichever league Fulham find themselves in next season, this position will need to be addressed when the campaign draws to a close.

We take a look at three forwards in the Championship Jokanovic should look at signing in the summer.

Britt Assombalonga - Nottingham Forest
Nottingham Forest striker Assombalonga is truly back amongst the goals following a spell on the sidelines at the City Ground.

His debut season for Forest was cut short following a serious knee injury in February 2015, this came after he had scored an impressive 15 league goals in 29 games. It has been a long road to recovery but the 24-year-old is becoming a key figure for the Reds again.

Despite signing a five year contract extension in September 2016, Forest find themselves in a precarious situation in the Championship and relegation is a possibility. Even if the Reds do avoid the drop, Assombalonga will need convincing that Forest is the right place for him to progress his career and will be keen to test himself in the Premier League. At this stage in proceedings, this would look a lot more likely with Fulham.

Lasse Vibe - Brentford
After Scott Hogan left Brentford for Aston Villa on transfer deadline day in January, Vibe has helped soften the blow with the loss of their leading scorer. He has scored eight goals since Hogan's departure, taking his season total to 11 as well as seven assists.

The 30-year-old Dane has impressed in the lone centre forward role and he would fit perfectly into Fulham's system as Brentford play the same formation. The move from Griffin Park to Craven Cottage would be a short one too as only 6 miles separate the two West London clubs.

His ability to score goals and assist in equal measure in the Championship would make him an attractive proposition to Fulham who like to get their midfielders on the score sheet as well.

Cameron Jerome - Norwich City
Jerome is another player who is well adjusted to playing in the lone centre forward role. He has notched up a credible 14 goals for the Canaries this season.

The 30-year-old has been one of the bright sparks in a largely disappointing season for Norwich. They will not be keen to let Jerome go as he has a proven goal scoring record, especially in the Championship.

However, every player has their price and if Fulham were to make a substantial offer then a potential move could benefit both parties. Jerome has Premier League experience under his belt as well and if Fulham are successful in their bid for promotion then Jerome could prove to be a useful acquisition.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/03/three-championship-strikers-fulham-should-target-in-the-summe/