more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (10/04/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 10, 2017, 07:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

PL2 Match Preview: Newcastle

Peter Grant's PL2 side take on Newcastle on Monday afternoon after three and a half weeks without competitive action.

The Whites are looking to get back to winning ways after they were knocked out of the Premier League Cup last-16, unluckily going out penalties after a dramatic 5-5 draw after extra-time.

Their previous league game was almost a month ago against West Bromwich Albion which ended in a 1-1 draw.

Their league form merits their position, having lost only once in their last eight outings, and are looking to kick on and win maximum points in their last three fixtures to secure the top Play-Off spot.

Fulham sit in second place, and second to fifth make up the Play-Offs. Only four points separate the Whites and sixth place, and therefore every point counts from now.

Their remaining fixtures are Newcastle in fourth, Blackburn Rovers in sixth and trying to jump into the Play-Offs themselves, and Wolverhampton Wanderers who are one spot below the Whites.

Newcastle themselves last played in the Quarter-Final of the PL Cup, and they were knocked out in a home tie by Reading, the match finished 1-0.

The Magpies' form has dropped signigifcantly in the second half of the season, and even though they almost reached the Semi-Final of the cup, they have only won one of their last six league outings, losing three and drawing two.

Newcastle have also played one more game than the Whites, and therefore with two matches left will be looking for a big push to get enough points to qualify for the play-off places.

The match is at 1pm on Monday 10th April, you can follow live updates on the Fulham FC Twitter feed.

You can watch the highlights from the reverse fixture earlier this season below.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/09/pl2-match-preview-newcastle

WhiteJC

Fulham 3-1 Ipswich Town: Slavisa Jokanovic's gutsy decision pays off and other talking points
Goals from Floyd Ayite, Scott Malone and Stefan Johansen ensured a 3-1 victory over Ipswich Town - here's what we learned from the game

Fulham put the wheels back on their play-off bid as they ground out a routine win against mid-table Ipswich Town courtesy of a 3-1 victory.

Floyd Ayite, Scott Malone and Stefan Johansen all got on the scoresheet as Slavisa Jokanovic's side did what they had to do in order to keep the play-offs in sight - especially after Sheffield Wednesday's victory over Newcastle later in the evening.

The Cottagers had struggled against compact teams in recent weeks, with both Blackburn and Wolves springing to mind, but it was a comfortable afternoon for the hosts who thoroughly deserved to win the tie.

Marcus Bettinelli was recalled to the starting XI in place of David Button, which went down well with most sections of the Cottage, here's what else we learned from the 3-1 victory.

Jokanovic deserves credit for his gutsy decision
It would've been easy for Jokanovic to continue playing Button, with six games left before this game most managers wouldn't dream of switching keepers, especially a manager of a side who are chasing the play-offs.

But the manager made the call to drop Button and replace him with Bettinelli, and his gamble paid off.

After a few nervy moments with the ball at feet, which you'd expect from a man who has only played three FA Cup games all season, he produced a number of outstanding saves to keep his side's lead intact.

The Cottage even got to their feet after his save from Freddie Sears to give him a standing ovation midway through the game - something I've never seen before.

Jokanovic deserves the plaudits for picking the 24-year-old, while Bettinelli deserves praise for the way he's handled himself as being number two all season.

I can't see him being losing his place between now and the end of the campaign.

Goal time: Tom Cairney and Stefan Johansen celebrate (Photo: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

It was routine for Fulham, but not easy
If you watched the game, you'd be under no illusions that Fulham deserved the three points and were by far the better side, but on another day we could all be sat here cursing their luck.

Ipswich had a number of guilt edge chances to score, with David McGoldrick hitting the post while Bettinelli was at his best to deny him and Sears from scoring - really the away side could be frustrated they didn't score more.

At the end of the day it will go down as another three points of the campaign, which is the most important thing, but to say Ipswich didn't have chances to at least gain a point would be wrong.

I'm still extremely uneasy with the Fulham defence, but I'm confident that it will be addressed in the summer.

Tim Ream is still the favoured centre back
Jokanovic picked Michael Madl over Ream but the Fulham manager still favours the American as his centre back of choice along with Tomas Kalas.

Calls were there to drop Ream after the farce in Derby and Jokanovic responded, but more so I think in giving Ream more of a break after his international duties.

The American only returned from Panama on the Thursday before the Rotherham game, which is a 5,274 mile trip - something you don't recover from in the space of five days, which is the length of time between returning and the Derby game.

Dropping Ream for the game yesterday was more to give him a rest as opposed to anything more and we will continue to see him play at centre back with Kalas until the end of the season.

Where could Fulham be if Ayite played all season?
What a player Ayite is - he's been the standout in the past couple of games and three goals in the last two games is a great return.

But imagine where the Cottagers could be if they hadn't lost him to the Africa Cup of Nations and to injury?

He has been the potent threat for Fulham in the last week and he is so dangerous cutting in from the wing - defenders don't know whether to stick on him or cover the open space he leaves for Malone and Fredericks to charge into.

Reporters who I've spoken to in the press box this year have said they can't believe Fulham aren't nearer the top two, perhaps if they hadn't lost this man for a while they would've been?

On the turn: Floyd Ayite (Photo: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

Chris Martin playing for the badge on his shirt
Everyone knows what happened with Chris Martin, it's old ground and we don't need to go into it again, but the way he played yesterday will have put a lot of doubters to rest.

He had one of his better games for the Cottagers where he caused the Ipswich centre backs problems all game.

How?

He seemed a lot more mobile than in previous games and showed a willingness to run into the channels and turn and take on his man, as opposed to staying in the middle of the park and waiting for the ball to come to him.

His movement allowed both Ayite and Sone Aluko to come in off their wings and move into the space left by Martin in the centre of the park - something that bore fruition when Ayite bagged the first after following in Martin's strike.

It's good to see the 28-year-old play like that, we all know how good a striker he is and I hope he continue in that vein as we approach the final five games of the season.

Back in form: Chris Martin (Photo: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-3-1-ipswich-town-12868744

WhiteJC

Sheffield United join Celtic in the hunt for Fulham man Lasse Vigen Christensen
The 22-year-old has spent the second half of the season on loan at Burton Albion but could be on his way out of Craven Cottage in the summer

Sheffield United have reportedly joined Celtic in the hunt for Fulham's Lasse Vigen Christensen after their promotion to the Championship.

The 22-year-old has spent half the season on loan at Burton Albion after joining Nigel Clough's side in January along with Cauley Woodrow and only has a year remaining on his contract at Craven Cottage.

The Mail Online are reporting that newly promoted United are keen on signing the Denmark U21 international but face competition from north of the border, as well as Birmingham City.

He has played 13 times for Burton this season, but made seven appearances in all competitions for the Cottagers in the early part of the season.

It remains to be seen whether Slavisa Jokanovic will allow the Dane to leave in the summer, but after falling down the pecking order at Craven Cottage he could be on his way out.

Rare appearance: Lasse Vigen Christensen against Newcastle (Photo: Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sheffield-united-join-celtic-hunt-12868946

WhiteJC

Time was right to drop Button, says Fulham boss

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has insisted the time was right to drop David Button, who was left out for the win over Ipswich.

The keeper made a string of errors in the defeat at Derby in midweek and was replaced by Marcus Bettinelli, who looks likely to keep his place.

Jokanovic said: "David Button is a fantastic man and made a fantastic job in the previous 40 games.

"He is a professional and took the decision like normal and I am sure he will be ready in the future. If the team needs him, he will be available.

"It's part of football. This is my job. I always make the decision that is best for the team.

"I took the decision and Marcus Bettinelli completed one very good performance. He must be happy with this 90 minutes.

"We were so close to taking a clean sheet but I expect in the next game we can take a clean sheet."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/time-right-drop-button-says-fulham-boss

WhiteJC

Birmingham City transfer rumour: Blues in race to sign Fulham midfielder
Sheffield United and Celtic are also reported to be interested

Birmingham City are one of the clubs reportedly interested in signing Fulham midfielder Lasse Vigen Christensen.

The Daily Mail report that Blues are keeping tabs on the Denmark under 21 international, along with Sheffield United and Celtic.

Christensen has spent the second half of the season at Burton Alibion, where he has made 13 appearances since signing on loan in January.

The 22-year-old joined Fulham in 2012, but with only a year remaining on his deal, he is apparently seeking a fresh start this summer.

Lasse Vigen Christensen in action for Burton

Christensen, who can also play at right-back as well as in midfield, came through the academies of Danish sides Esbjerg and Midtjylland.

He had a trial in Arsenal in 2010 before moving to Craven Cottage two years later.

Blues are on course to continue their squad rebuild in the transfer window after eight arrivals in January.

And they already have one summer deal tied up, with Craig Gardner set to convert his loan into a permanent transfer.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/birmingham-city-transfer-rumour-blues-12871295

WhiteJC

Former Fulham boss' praise explains Celtic's reported interest in Lasse Vigen Christensen

Kit Symons once claimed Fulham prodigy Lasse Vigen Christensen could reach the very top - but will he unleash his potential at Celtic ?

If Celtic fans are concerned that reported target Lasse Vigen Christensen has not quite lived up to expectation, they can take solace in the fact that manager Brendan Rodgers has quite a handy knack of getting the best out of his young players.

The Daily Mail report that The Bhoys are interested in Fulham's 22-year-old midfielder and could compete for his signature in the summer.

However, the Danish youth international's links with Birmingham City and Sheffield United, plus the fact that he has spent the second half of the season on loan at Burton Albion after failing to break into Fulham's first-team, will hardly set pulses racing north of the border.

Yet Christensen has plenty of time on his side and, under a manager who has only recently inspired a change in fortunes in the careers of Scott Sinclair, Stuart Armstrong, Callum McGregor and co, the dynamic midfielder could unleash the potential that once made him one of Scandanavia's most exhilarating talents.

After all, Christensen is hardly lacking in either character or quality. According to Kit Symons, the youngster's former boss at Fulham, he is 'focused, driven and capable of becoming a top, top player'.

And with Rodgers thought to be attempting to target young, promising players capable of earning Celtic a profit down the line, Christensen certainly fits the bill.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/09/do-former-fulham-boss-praise-explains-celtics-reproted-interest/

WhiteJC

Bettinelli: Special Day

Marcus Bettinelli describes Fulham's 3-1 victory over Ipswich Town as a very special day for himself.

Marcus Bettinelli returned between the sticks for Fulham against Ipswich Town marking his first league start of the season with a win and an impressive performance to be proud of.

After the disappointment from Derby, Slaviša Jokanović made three changes to his starting line-up as Michael Madl, Chris Martin and Bettinelli replaced Tim Ream, Lucas Piazon and David Button.

With goals coming from Floyd Ayité, Scott Malone and Stefan Johansen the changes seemed to work as Fulham ran out 3-1 winners in front of a home crowd at the Cottage.

Goalkeeper Bettinelli was a crowd favourite as he played a crucial role in goal to keep the Ipswich attack at bay until the final moments of the match.

"Obviously today was a special moment for me", said Bettinelli, "I have waited a long time for it. It felt like I have waited an eternity and it was a special moment and I am really happy with the way that I performed.

"It was disappointing not to get the clean sheet in the end, it would have been lovely to finish it off with a clean sheet but it wasn't about me today, it wasn't about me coming back, it was never about that and it was never about keeping a clean sheet, the most important thing was that we got three points.

"It was a special day, a day that I waited a long time for and I am really happy with the way that I played, it would have been nice to get a clean sheet but that is one of those things and it was really important that we got three points and hopefully I did enough to show the gaffer that I can stay in the team."

Having played in only three FA Cup games so far this season Bettinelli spoke of the nerves that he felt going into the game and he knew that he had to put in a huge performance to settle the team down.

"It was a weird one, I have played so many times at the Cottage, for me it is hard, obviously this is our home stadium and I have played a lot of times here but today it really felt like it was sort of a second debut.

"I have played this season already in the FA Cup but it felt like this was my second debut and it was a weird feeling. There were a few nerves before the game and a few in the game but I am mentally strong, I am quite loud in the dressing room and i just tried to support the lads as best I could today.

"The most important thing was getting three points and keeping the lads in it when they needed me to and let them go and do their thing because they are great going forward.

"But it was a weird feeling, I got told yesterday and I sort of had the whole day to prepare and of course I was nervous but I was so excited as well, I waited a really long time for it and I really wanted to just go out there and prove myself right rather than prove everyone else wrong."

Bettinelli made two outstanding saves which kept the pressure off Fulham, the first denied Freddie Sears who was unmarked in the box and the second prevented David McGoldrick from getting on the score sheet, on the back of which Johansen scored Fulham's third.

"The first save, I think McGoldrick was running down the wing and both our centre-backs went over, I heard Freddie shouting in the middle, "I'm open!", and I saw in the corner of my eye Freddie running into the box  and I thought McGoldrick is going to cross this, he is definitely not going to shoot.

"So I gambled a little bit and before he has crossed it I have started making my way over and I have just tried to get across as quick as I could and sort of spread myself and thankfully I managed to get close enough to him to make a good block.

"I don't even remember where the ball went, I just remember it hitting me and as it hit me I jumped up and I don't really know where it went so thankfully it went to one of our players and they managed to clear it.

"Later McGoldrick had a shot from the edge of the box and I managed to get down low and get two hands behind it and then we cleared it and went up the other end and Johansen scored.

"So two important saves and that's what I am here to do, I am here to keep the ball out of the back of the net and thankfully today I managed to do that for pretty much the whole game until right at the end."

Distribution was impressive as well for the Fulham goalkeeper, making 42 passes and maintaining a 100% throw out accuracy but Bettinelli insists this is something that comes naturally to him as a modern-day goalkeeper.

"I have always been able to offer that, it's not something that I have developed, I have always offered that.

"I've not been playing and not had the chance to show that in games but thankfully today I got that chance and managed to show a few glimpses of what I can do but it's not about me, today was about us getting the three points and keeping the pressure on Sheffield Wednesday.

"It's in our own hands, everything that will happen in the next month is in our own hands, we still have to play Sheffield and we just need to keep winning and hopefully we can make it there."

Fulham's next game is away at Carrow Road as we take on Norwich who defeated play-off hopefuls Reading 7-1 this weekend and Bettinelli is under no illusion as to how hard the task will be.

"Norwich will be in high spirits but we have tremendous quality in this team. We fancy ourselves against anyone, we believe in each other and believe in ourselves as a team, so we will give it a right go. This is a massive month that we have coming up and we are all behind it and hopefully we can do it."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/09/bettinelli-reaction

WhiteJC