more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (11/04/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 11, 2017, 07:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic frees fizzy Fulham to break late for Championship play-offs

Ipswich Town left Craven Cottage on the wrong end of a 3-1 scoreline after standing off where Derby had pressed the previous Tuesday

Slavisa Jokanovic had told his side they needed to 'be in fifth gear' after defeat to Derby last Tuesday and they responded with a lively victory at home to Ipswich. Photograph: McManus//BPI/Rex Shutterstock

Fulham are shaping as dark horses of the Championship. They have come lately to play-off contention, hiding their earnest behind ridiculous dropped points from late goals and staying in touch with sufficient victories forged by young fantasy players given their heads by Slavisa Jokanovic. On Saturday they nosed above the dotted line for a few hours with a 3-1 win over Ipswich before Sheffield Wednesday reclaimed sixth spot by beating Newcastle.

To the bulk of a near-capacity crowd, basking in the spring sunshine by the Thames, Craven Cottage seemed like seventh heaven, which may be a happier place than the Premier League to which they aspire. Jokanovic, their head coach, took Watford up in 2015 before leaving. After 15 months with Fulham he dared to say last month: "Obviously it's a results business but, if I am successful, I could stay here 10 years." He knows this bit of London from two late-career years with Chelsea as a defensive midfielder and is clearly at ease.

So are his players. Many have come through the academy, directed by Huw Jennings, who previously sent Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott and others to nominally higher places than Southampton. Fulham's collection looked on Saturday looked to be having the time of their lives, rather like National horses that shed their riders and run on with a sense of freedom and no responsibility. Here they would stop to smell the buttercups, then gallop off to cause havoc, with Mick McCarthy's Ipswich not clever enough to see the counter, as Gary Rowett had at Derby last Tuesday. Fulham lost 4-2 despite 74% possession, though some of that will have been fishing the ball out of the net.

Where Derby pressed, Ipswich stood off and Fulham could indulge their poise and they got away with it even when it lapsed into the casual. Floyd Ayité and Sone Aluko were as dragonflies on the flanks – pause and dart, hover and dash – though sometimes the dash came from Ryan Fredericks and Scott Malone overlapping. In midfield Tom Cairney and Stefan Johansen controlled tempo. Jokanovic said after the Derby defeat they needed to "be in fifth gear". Johansen gave them overdrive, Kevin McDonald comfort in front of defence and the heralded 16-year-old Ryan Sessegnon did not get on.

Chris Martin, on a year-long loan from Derby, could be forgiven for feeling a black Ram, unsure where he belongs. At times his commitment to Fulham's cause has been questioned and a fortnight ago he was booed on to Hampden Park as a late substitute, only to give Scotland a 1-0 win over Slovenia. On Saturday, meeting a cross after 15 minutes, he caught a crab such as one of Oxford's women did the previous weekend in the Boat Race beyond the towpath trees. Two minutes later, after midfield linking in a Fulham breakaway, he was forward to meet another centre and was relieved to see Ayité pop in the rebound from Bartosz Bialkowski's save.

By the half-hour Johansen had set up some tight passing from a throw-in on the left to send in Malone for a second and beyond the hour, after two blinding stops by Marcus Bettinelli to deny first Freddie Sears, then David McGoldrick, Johansen showed cool with a third goal from the breakaway. Christophe Berra's injury-time reply was no consolation for a flat Ipswich, out of the top tier for 15 seasons and seemingly going nowhere. Bobby Robson, closely associated with both clubs, would have rejoiced in Fulham's enlightened spirit. He scored in their last home victory over Ipswich, 10-1 on Boxing Day in 1963.

This was Bettinelli's first league start of the season and both keepers might at times have been auditioning for Pep Guardiola, dribbling or passing into trouble in their best Claudio Bravo mode. Jokanovic, whose charming pursuit of perfect English could send shaggy dogs to sleep, paid tribute to the previously ever-present David Button – "a great man, really professional" – and said: "I always try to make the best decision for my team." He has made plenty and may need more. Their next game is at Norwich, who beat Reading 7-1, their last at Sheffield Wednesday. No one would fancy them in the play-offs. In oppressing times there is happily a future yet for Cottage industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/apr/10/slavisa-jokanovic-fulham-championship-ipswich-town

WhiteJC

Fulham keeper Marcus Bettinelli reveals playing in Ipswich Town win felt like making his debut again
Slavisa Jokanovic recalled the 24-year-old in favour of David Button during the 3-2 victory over Ispwich and the keeper says he wanted his chance sooner

Marcus Bettinelli has revealed that he felt like he was making his Fulham debut all over again after starting in their 3-1 victory over Ipswich Town on Saturday.

The 24-year-old has only made three FA Cup appearances for Slavisa Jokanovic's side this season after David Button signed from Brentford in the summer, with the manager preferring him to the England U21 international.

But Bettinelli got his chance on Saturday when Button was dropped after the defeat in Derby - an opportunity he grabbed with both hands as he pulled off two sensational saves in a solid showing .

It has been a long time coming, for both fans and Bettinelli, who wanted to get his chance earlier than this, but now that he's made his first league start of the season he hopes he's done enough to keep the number one shirt.

He said: "Today felt like I was making my debut which is crazy considering Ive played here a number of times but you know Ive not been in favour and today, for whatever reason, the gaffer picked me and hopefully I did enough to show him I deserve to keep the shirt

"I think I have done and the boys were brilliant, we played great football and times and today we had to go a bit longer cause they sussed us out and Martin did brilliant for my long range passing straight up to him.

A second debut: Marcus Bettinelli (Photo: Dan Istitene/Getty Images)

"The boys dug deep and it was important that we got back to winning ways, the way the game panned out the other day we played really well and four mistakes happened.

"It was weird week at training where the lads were a bit down but we picked ourselves back up and got a great strength and character in the dressing room and the most important thing is that we push and get play offs."

It was a bold move from Jokanovic to swap keepers with only six games remaining of the season, something Bettinelli agrees with, but the 24-year-old explained that he has remained focused all season and has kept himself ready for whenever the call came from his manager.

He added: "It was a big decision, the team has been very similar over the season and personally I would have liked to have got my chance a bit earlier, I felt it was deserved a bit earlier but Butts has payed really well and I'm sure he will support me like I've supported him the last forty games.

Back of the net: Stefan Johansen celebrates scoring his goal (Photo: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

"It was a big decision but the gaffer knows what I'm like, I'm a loud person in the dressing room and I'm there for the lads and support the boys.

"I'm not sure if he wanted louder voices but whatever the gaffer's reason was he picked me and all I had to do today was my job, get the boys through and get the three points.

"This season it hasn't worked for me, the gaffer hasn't put me in favour and has put Button in favour and that's the gaffer's decision and Butts has played most of the games this season.

"I've just tried to remain focused and remain ready and I've always thought I deserve a chance and that I'd get a chance and thankfully the gaffer has put faith in me and we've got the three points."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-keeper-marcus-bettinelli-reveals-12872101

WhiteJC

Deadline Extended by 24 Hours

Following our Season Ticket launch back in March, supporters wasted no time in securing their seat for the 17/18 campaign. With over 87% of existing Season Ticket Holders already renewed for next term, we thank you for your continued support!

After an overwhelmingly busy period of Season Ticket sales ahead of this afternoon's deadline, we understand that a high number of supporters have experienced significant queues when looking to purchase over the phone. As such, the Club is delighted to confirm that it has extended the Early Bird and Seat Hold deadline for 24 hours to 5pm tomorrow, Tuesday 11th April.

This will be your final chance to take advantage of Early Bird prices and for unrenewed Season Ticket Holders to retain their existing seat, with all other key dates remaining the same. Our Seat Move Window will take place for 17/18 Season Ticket Holders on Thursday 13th April and our Seat Day is at Craven Cottage on Saturday 15th April.

Fans are encouraged to renew or purchase their Season Ticket online. The Fulham Ticket Office will however be open from 9am on Tuesday 11th April, with supporters able to purchase either in person or via phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 2).

From behalf of everyone at the Club, we thank all supporters who have committed to watching the Whites next season!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/10/deadline-extended

WhiteJC

Fulham sell-out their allocation for Good Friday clash with Norwich City
No further tickets are set to go on sale for the clash at Carrow Road with Fulham running a waiting list in the event of any returns

Fulham are set to be buoyed by a large travelling support at Norwich City on Good Friday with the club selling out its entire allocation.

The club were allocated 1,500 tickets for what is yet another big game for the side and the last of those tickets were sold this morning after Fulham put in a routine win over Ipswich on Saturday afternoon.

However, some fans have been left frustrated with a smaller than usual allocation from the Canaries with no further tickets for away fans set to go on sale.

Friday's hosts currently sit in tenth place in the Championship after a disappointing campaign, but fans did receive some joy on the weekend when they battered play-off bound Reading 7-1 at Carrow Road.

Fulham will go into the tie hoping to secure another three points to keep them in the play-off race, with Sheffield Wednesday due to face Cardiff City at Hillsborough.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-sell-out-allocation-good-12872482

WhiteJC

Fulham's Championship play-off hopes hang in the balance - predict their final five fixtures of the season
We've updated our league predictor to take into account recent scores - with five games left will your predictions see Fulham break into the play-off spots?

It's crunch time in the race for the play-off places in the Championship and with five games remaining Fulham have kept themselves right in the hunt for the top six.

Despite losses to both Wolves and Derby, Slavisa Jokanovic's men are only two points off Sheffield Wednesday in that final spot - with what is looking more and more like the biggest game of the season looming on the final day at Hillsborough.

We've ran this at the start of March and we've ran it at the end of the month, but it's been updated once again with the recent scores so it's up to date with five games remaining.

And there are some big ones looming - Norwich away on Good Friday, Huddersfield away and Sheffield Wednesday away, not to mention the small matter of a west London derby in the penultimate game of the season against Brentford at the Cottage.

Let us know how you get on with your predictions and where you have Fulham finish - no doubt there are many twists and turns left in this play-off race.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/updated-predict-fulhams-final-five-12872374

WhiteJC

Fulham 3-1 Ipswich Town: Fulham fans rate Floyd Ayite as man of the match
The Togo international bagged Fulham's opener and clearly did enough to impress you as you rated him the highest in our player ratings sliders

Floyd Ayite stole the show, in your eyes at least, as Fulham inflicted defeat over Ipswich Town in a routine 3-1 victory at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

We asked for your player ratings on Sunday and you responded, with the Togo international gaining the plaudits for his goal with the highest rating, securing a solid 8 for his performance.

Stefan Johansen came in second with a rating of 7.8 after he bagged himself Fulham's third, while interestingly Scott Malone, who grabbed the second and arguably best goal, came in with a rating of 7.5.

The returning Marcus Bettinelli was rated fourth highest, with a rating of 7.4 from a game where he pulled off a number of excellent saves, including one that saw Johansen go up the other end and score.

Out of the starting XI, Michael Madl, who was subbed with 57 minutes on the clock in favour of Tim Ream, scored the lowest with 6.3.

The full table is below:

Ayite - 8

Johansen 7.8

Malone -7.5

Bettinelli - 7.4

Martin 7.3

McDonald - 7.1

Fredericks - 7

Cairney - 6.9

Kalas - 6.8

Aluko - 6.7

Madl - 6.3

Ream - 5.8

Kebano - 5.6

Piazon - 5.6

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-3-1-ipswich-town-12872596

WhiteJC

West Ham continue to source out transfers, former Fulham man could be an idea

West Ham United officials have once again watched some Portuguese football this weekend, after travelling to the north of the country and watching Benfica beat Moreirense 1-0.

The Portuguese league leaders didn't have an easy job this time, and only managed to break into Moreirense's defence with a good header from Konstantinos Mitroglou.

The former Fulham striker now has 26 goals this season, and keeps showing that he can do much better than in his past spell in London.

Mitroglou's Fulham failure has stained his reputation as far as English football is concerned, but his form this season is excellent and it would be no surprise if West Ham, or someone else, give him another go.

Apart from the Greek striker, the West Ham officials also saw a very good display from defender Victor Lindelof and midfielder Ljubomir Fejsa, who were solid stopping Moreirense's attacks.

On Moreirense's side, the main man was Ousmane Dramé. The winger was a constant threat for Benfica, putting teammates in scoring positions and even beating goalkeeper Ederson, but then watching Lindelof clear what seemed a certain goal.

From the players who stood out yesterday, we'd say Mitroglou, Fejsa and Dramé are all possible targets for Slaven Bilic at West Ham.

Mitroglou and Fejsa would obviously be a lot more expensive than the Frenchman, as Benfica think of the Premier League as a gold mine.

In other conditions, even Lindelof could be a reasonable player for the Hammers to try for. But his links with Manchester United from the past two transfer windows have become a media circus, which only raised his price. It's unlikely that he leaves for less than €30m now.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-continue-source-transfers-former-fulham-man-idea/

WhiteJC

Who is Lasse Vigen Christensen? A full lowdown on the reported Birmingham City target
Danish midfielder is currently on loan at Burton Albion from Fulham

Birmingham City were linked with Fulham midfielder Lasse Vigen Christensen yesterday.

The Daily Mail reported that Blues are keeping tabs on the Denmark under 21 international, along with Sheffield United and Celtic.

Christensen is currently on loan at Burton Albion, having joined until the end of the season in the January transfer window.

Here's all you need to know about him.

Background
Born in Esbjerg, Denmark, he signed for the club as a youngster before impressing so much that he was offered a trial at Arsenal in 2010 aged only 15.

Although he wasn't offered terms by the North London outfit, he caught the eye of FC Midtjylland, one of the biggest clubs in the country.

Christensen spent just under two years there before again travelling to London for a trial - this time with Fulham.

And in January 2012 he moved to the Whites on a permanent deal.

Christensen played 68 games for Fulham, scoring six goals, before moving to Burton.

Where does he play?
The 22-year-old is predominantly a midfielder, although he can also play at right-back.

He has played the majority of his games in a central role, although he has also featured out wide on the right.

Style
A technically adept midfielder, Christensen is comfortable in possession.

He is creative with the ball at his feet and able to spot a pass, becoming a key component in the middle of the park.

The Burton loanee would seemingly fit into Gianfranco Zola's ambition of bringing more technical players to the club.

How has he done this season?
After featuring only seven times for Fulham in the first half of the season, his move to Burton looks to have re-invigorated a stalling career.

Since joining the Brewers, Christensen has made 12 appearances and notched three assists.

His impressive performances have attracted potential suitors, with Blues reportedly one of the clubs interested.

Competition
Blues are likely to face competition for his signature if they try to sign him in the summer.

Both Celtic and Sheffield United are reported to be keen on Christensen as well.

Celtic recently won their sixth consecutive SPL title and can offer Champions League football, while the Blades are set to win promotion to the Championship.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/who-lasse-vigen-christensen-full-12875613

WhiteJC

Liverpool's priority left-back target revealed ahead of summer bidding war

Liverpool are believed to be targeting Fulham's teenage left-back Ryan Sessegnon, with a view to making the youngster James Milner's deputy.

The Reds have been linked with a host of left-backs ahead of the summer transfer window, with Schalke's Sead Kolasinac and Atletico Madrid's Theo Hernandez among the most high-profile names.

But neither are thought to feature heavily on Jurgen Klopp's radar, with the German instead turning his attention towards youth.

According to Goal's Melissa Reddy, Liverpool's priority for the left-hand side of defence is Sessegnon, who is enjoying a breakthrough campaign at Craven Cottage in 2016/17.

Sessegnon, who turns 17 in May, is set to sign a professional contract with Fulham when he is eligible.

This would be no indication of the defender's intent, however, and the Reds will be vying with a host of top clubs if he opts to leave the London club.

He is likely to receive offers from Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City, but reports back in February suggested Klopp was the more likely to succeed in his pursuit.

Interestingly, Reddy claims that Sessegnon would be brought in as cover for Milner, who is expected to remain as first choice for the time being.

This could be considered a disappointment if that is the case, as while Milner has proved a serviceable left-back this season, he is far from a long-term solution in the role.

The former England international will celebrate his 32nd birthday next year, and while he is clearly one of the fittest players in Klopp's squad, this will naturally diminish.

Klopp will be hoping that Sessegnon will be ready to step up at that stage, benefiting from his tutelage under one of the Premier League's most experienced players.

Reddy also suggests that Sessegnon's England U19s team-mate Trent Alexander-Arnold will continue in the same role on the opposite flank, initially as cover for Nathaniel Clyne, and then as successor.

Establishing such a hierarchy would be positive for Liverpool in the long term, but overlooking the likes of Kolasinac and Hernandez could prove costly.

Left-back has been one of the Reds' longest-running problem positions, and signing a teenager with minimal first-team experience would be a gamble.

Though if his first season is anything to go by, having scored six goals and assisted four in 27 games, Sessegnon is destined for the top.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/04/liverpools-priority-left-back-target-revealed-ahead-summer-bidding-war/

WhiteJC

Sheffield United and Birmingham locked in battle with Celtic to sign Championship midfielder

According to The Daily Mail, a trio of clubs are chasing Fulham midfielder Lasse Vigen Christensen.

Fulham's Lasse Vigen Christensen is currently out on loan at fellow Championship side Burton Albion but his future with the Cottagers looks bleak.

With just one year left on his current deal with Fulham, the technical central midfielder is reportedly willing to move away from Craven Cottage this summer.

Recently promoted Sheffield United want to sign the Denmark youth international this summer ahead of their 2017/18 Championship campaign.

However, the Blades face competition from Scottish Premiership champions Celtic who are also interested in Christensen.

The 22-year-old is also attracting interest from Birmingham City, who are currently six points above the relegation zone in the Championship and not safe yet.

Christensen has played 13 games for Burton since completing a January loan deal but he is out of favour at Fulham and could leave this summer in a cut-price deal.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sheffield-united-and-birmingham-locked-in-battle-with-celtic-to-sign-championship-midfielder/

WhiteJC

Newcastle beat Fulham to go second

Tom Heardman double helps Magpies move above the Cottagers in the race for promotion from Division 2

Newcastle United replaced Fulham in Division 2's second spot as they beat the Cottagers 3-1 at Whitley Park.

Josh Smile gave Fulham the lead in the 11th minute, before a Tom Heardman double either side of Victor Fernandez's strike gave Newcastle a 3-1 lead at half-time.

There were no more goals in the second half, meaning Newcastle are one point and a place above Fulham with one match to go, away at Middlesbrough on Friday 21 April.

Fulham, who have two matches remaining, visit Blackburn Rovers next on Tuesday 18 April. Teams ranked from second to fifth compete in the end-of-season play-offs for promotion to Division 1.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/367586

WhiteJC

He's like Bale – Liverpool Expected to Agree $19million Versatile Player Signing

Liverpool want a new natural left back this summer and they have been tracking Fulham youngster Ryan Sessegnon for a long time now.

Last month, we covered a report (via Football London) claiming that the Reds have beaten the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea to hire the services of the teenage defender.

Daily Mail are not so sure though. They claim that Ryan is one of Klopp's prime targets and the Merseysiders are hoping to beat Man City and Spurs to sign him.

On the other hand, according to the Times' Paul Joyce, Liverpool are expected to secure the signature of the starlet and the transfer ban would not stop them from completing his signing.

Ryan is mainly a left back but he can also play effectively on the left hand side of the midfield and he has been compared to ex Tottenham superstar Gareth Bale (The Sun).

In 27 appearances for Fulham (all competitions) this season, he has directly contributed in no fewer than 10 goals (6 goals and 4 assists). The stats are very impressive for a 16-year-old player.

Fulham want at least a fee of 15 million pounds ($19million) for their prized asset (Squawka).

http://soccerisma.com/2017/04/liverpool-expected-to-sign-ryan-sessegnon/