watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (17/04/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 17, 2017, 07:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Former Tottenham and Fulham man fined two weeks wages after altercation in Billericay game

Former Tottenham and Fulham man Jamie O'Hara has been fined two weeks' wages by Billericay Town.

O'Hara has been at the New Lodge for less than a month, but has already had quite an impact on the pitch for the Blues.

But his impact on Good Friday came off the pitch when, following Billericay's 3-2 defeat at the hands of Leatherhead, he was involved in an unsavoury incident with a group of fans.

The fans at Fetcham Grove taunted the former professional and O'Hara reacted with videos on social media showing the 30-year-old reacting angrily.

And the midfielder has been fined two weeks' wages for the incident.

Owner and manager Glenn Tamplin said in a statement: "As Jamie O'Hara, Paul Konchesky and I left the pitch after the game we began to receive a totally unprecedented level of abuse from gathering opposition fans.

"I was very disappointed to see that there was no protection provided by stewards or officials to grant us safe passage from the field and we were therefore directly confronted by the abusive 'fans'. The three of us were unsurprisingly concerned for our safety and this led to a regrettable incident where Jamie reacted by pushing away a fan because of the abuse of which included him being spat at and things thrown at him.

As a club and personally the reaction was wholly unacceptable and a most regrettable incident. As I intervened to pull Jamie away I was punched in the back of the head, which underlines the level of abuse and anger being directed towards us.

"As I stated previously Billericay Football Club doesn't condone any reaction to provocation, be it on or off the field, therefore we have deducted Jamie two weeks wages and made it very clear to him that any future incidents of a similar nature will lead to him being released from the club."

Read more at http://www.essexlive.news/former-tottenham-and-fulham-man-fined-two-weeks-wages-after-altercation-in-billericay-game/story-30274241-detail/story.html#EdHov7eTwbYrHr4p.99

WhiteJC

Fulham man being targeted by Premier League giants for summer move

West Ham United could move for Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic this summer, if they decide to sack Slaven Bilic.

According to the Sunday Express, the Hammers could move for the impressive Fulham manager should they decide to part company with their Croatian manager Bilic, who has struggled to build on what was an impressive season last time out.

Jokanovic has been hugely impressive at Craven Cottage, and only recently signed a new deal which ties him to the club until 2019. However, his ability to turn Fulham into genuine promotion contenders has impressed chiefs at the London Stadium, and they could now move for the former Watford manager.

Jokanovic guided the Hornets to the Premier League in 2015, while his time at Fulham has been successful and focused on the development of young players in the first team – such as the talented Ryan Sessegnon.

The Cottagers though will be hoping to hang on to their manager, and will be hoping to seal a playoff place in the coming weeks as they chase the all important sixth spot in the Championship.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-man-being-targeted-by-premier-league-giants-for-summer-move/

WhiteJC

Fulham should ignore ex-teammate's struggles and scupper West Ham's Sergi Enrich hopes

Sergi Enrich has been superb for Eibar in La Liga but could he succeed where Borja Baston failed at Fulham or West Ham United?

Despite boasting the most prolific attacking record in the Championship, Fulham were still determined to enrich their attack in the January transfer window.

According to AS, Slavisa Jokanovic's play-off chasing side were considering triggering Sergi Enrich's £8.4 million Eibar buyout clause in the winter window after failing to sign him in the summer.

Yet, with Derby County loanee Chris Martin unlikely to remain at Craven Cottage beyond this season, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that they attempt to make it third time lucky at the end of the season.

Although, according to the Sunday People, they will not be short of competition. Despite Enrich's former Eibar strike partner, Borja Baston, netting just once after arriving in the Premier League as Swansea City's record signing, it seems reported suitors have not been put off.

The Sunday People claim that West Ham want to battle Marseille for Enrich's signature. After helping La Liga's smallest club overachieve again with an impressive 10 goals, the powerful target man is certainly deserving of an opportunity in a more illustrious environment.

Blessed with excellent technique, strength in the air and a knack of arriving in the right place at the right time, Enrich could thrive in a West Ham side in need of a goal-scorer capable of compensating for any injuries suffered by the talismanic Andy Carroll.

However, Fulham should not give up hope just yet. Luring Enrich to Craven Cottage may depend on whether they are playing Premier League football next season but Jokanovic clearly knows a striker when he sees one.

And with Martin seemingly certain to return to Derby, there are few more fitting replacements than Enrich – an English-style striker with a Spaniard's technique.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/16/do-fulham-should-make-final-attempt-to-enrich-strikeforce-amid-w/

WhiteJC

Aston Villa have been handed this boost ahead of the trip to Fulham - without doing anything!
AVFC head to the capital for their second match in 48 hours

Aston Villa have been handed a boost ahead of their trip to Fulham on Monday - courtesy of the oppositon.

Whites striker Chris Martin, his side's top goalscorer with 13 goals this season, will miss the match through suspension.

Martin was sent-off for an elbow on Norwich City full-back Mitchell Dijks on Friday.

Fulham appealed the red card but that plea was turned down, meaning the Scotland international has been given a three-match ban.

And he will serve the first game of that suspension during Villa's visit to Craven Cottage on Monday.

The match will be Steve Bruce's side second in 48 hours after the 3-1 defeat at home to Reading on Saturday, which leaves Fulham with an extra day's rest.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-been-handed-boost-12902412

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic warns Fulham to cut out defensive errors or forgot Premier League hopes
The Cottagers are chasing a play-off spot and Jokanovic wants the back door kept shut

Jokanovic wants his side to keep it tight (Photo: 2017 Getty Images)

Slavisa Jokanovic has told his Fulham players to cut out their defensive gaffes - or forget about promotion.

Fulham's eye-catching style of football has been littered by critical lapses at key times.

Blunders in games against Wolves and Derby in the last month has cost Jokanovic's men crucial points.

Fulham host Aston Villa on Monday two points off the play-offs and can ill-afford another slip with just four games left.

Fulham saw off Norwich on Friday (Photo: X01095)

Cottages chief Jokanovic said: "We must show more personality and be more solid to survive those bad moments.

"If I compare us to teams in front of us like Newcastle or Brighton I'm not sure they play better football than us.

"But I'm sure that in crucial moments in the game they are more solid and they survive difficult moments easier than we do.

"That is what we need. I'm not just talking about our defence. In general we need to interpret and understand moments during the game.

"We must be tight and forget the aesthetics and don't give opponents easy goals.

"Against Derby, we opened the door so easily for them and they punished us. We must avoid that kind of situation, be more competitive, more brave and more experienced.

"During the short part of the season that's in front of us we must improve this part of our game."

It looks certain that Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday will fight it out for the final play-off spot up for grabs.

Jokanovic says he needs 'brave' players if the west Londoners are to pip the Owls - who they face on the final day - to make the top-six.

The Serbian added: "I need brave players, intelligent enough and understand what's happening around us.

"That's what could push us into the top six.

"We have five games in front of us and I am confident my players can do a great job in this crucial period of the Championship."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/slavisa-jokanovic-warns-fulham-cut-10239837

WhiteJC

Cut out the sloppy mistakes, Jokanovic orders Fulham
by Dan on April 16, 2017

Slavisa Jokanovic has urged his Fulham players to cut out the sloppy mistakes or they can forget about reaching the play-offs.

The Serbian head coach has issued a warning to his side ahead of tomorrow's crucial clash with Aston Villa at Craven Cottage and insisted that their excellent passing football will count for nothing if it continues to be undermined by basic defensive mistakes. Poor defending in recent defeats by Wolves and Derby – as well as the concession of a last minute equaliser against relegation-threatened Blackburn – has cost Fulham the opportunity to leapfrog Sheffield Wednesday and reach the top six.

The Whites are two points off the play-off positions with four games remaining – and it looks like Jokanovic's side could have to win all four of their fixtures to make sure of a spot in the top six. The Fulham head coach told the Daily Mirror:

We must show more personality and be more solid to survive those bad moments. If I compare us to teams like Newcastle or Brighton, I'm not sure they play better football than us. But I'm sure that in crucial moments in the game they are more solid and they survive difficult moments easier than we do.

That is what we need. I'm not just talking about our defence. In general we need to interpret and understand moments during the game. We must be tight and forget the aesthetics and don't give opponents easy goals.

The memory of the two dreadful mistakes from David Button at Derby is clearly still imprinted on Jokanovic's mind. Academy graduate Marcus Bettinelli has seized his chance in goal, but the Fulham boss is adamant that there can be no repeat of the defensive sloppiness that has crept in at times this term:

Against Derby, we opened the door so easily for them and they punished us. We must avoid that kind of situation, be more competitive, more brave and more experienced. During the short part of the season that's in front of us we must improve this part of our game.

I need brave players, intelligent enough and understand what's happening around us. That's what could push up into the top six. We have five games in front of us and I am confident my players can do a great job in this crucial period of the Championship.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/04/cut-out-the-sloppy-mistakes-jokanovic-orders-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs. Aston Villa Preview: Three questions with 7500 to Holte
Aston Villa didn't help Fulham out with their game against Reading. Will they help Fulham out in this match?

Cottagers Confidential: So, what do you make of Aston Villa's first season down here? Has it gone as expected? Better? Worse? What are you looking forward to next year?

7500 to Holte: Worse than expected! No offense, but as a premier league club, you need to be in the top three, no exception. That's expected! We were way off the pace thanks to a terrible start and a dire winter. I've enjoyed the Championship though, it's underrated and seriously is one of the most competitive and dynamic leagues in the world.

CC: The advanced stats say you should be about 10th with a +7 GD. You currently sit 12th with a +3 GD. Unlike some other teams (Leeds *cough* Reading *cough*), you are right where you should be. The stats say you've combined a top five defensive with a pretty (18th) mediocre attack. After watching this season, would you agree with that?

7500: Of course. Our defense is decent, but all of our goals come through one guy - Jonathan Kodjia. Without him, we are nothing.

CC: With no playoffs and no relegation beckoning, what do you want to see in the last four games? Do you expect the team to fight for every point, or are they ready for this long slog of a season to be over

7500: I expect a good performance in each match. Playoffs are a write off now, but we should do our best to finish as strongly as possible! There is no excuse for giving up now.

CC: Predicted lineup and result?

7500: Johnstone will start in goal.

Taylor will be on the left of defense with Hutton on the right. The solid partnership of Baker and Chester continues in the middle.

Mile Jedinak anchors the midfield while Henri Lansbury and Conor Hourihane do their thing In the middle.

Albert Adomah is our right winger with the wonderkid Andre Green on the left.

And Jonathan Kodjia will lead the line!

It's away and Fulham are fighting for playoffs. 1-1

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2017/4/17/15321536/fulham-vs-aston-villa-preview-three-questions-with-7500-to-holte

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday: 'Let's nail down play-offs place early!'

Tom Lees wants the Owls to confirm their Championship play-off spot before their final-day showdown with rivals Fulham.

Carlos Carvalhal's charges take on mid-table Queens Park Rangers today looking to tighten their grip on a top-six place.

With four matches remaining, Wednesday currently occupy the final play-off berth and are two points clear of Fulham, who travel to Hillsborough on May 7. When asked how many more victories the Owls need to wrap up a top-six finish, defender Lees told The Star: "I don't know. "We would like to avoid it going to the last day of the season with Fulham. We would like to avoid that scenario so we are trying to cement our place in the play-offs before then." Captain Glenn Loovens is set to renew his centre-back partnership with Lees at Loftus Road, having shrugged off a groin problem. The Owls head to the capital full of confidence following three straight victories. "QPR will be a tough challenge," insisted Lees. "Ian Holloway has turned them around a bit and got them playing differently. "They look a totally different team to the one we played at the start of the season. QPR carry a goal threat and it will be another massive game for us."

With four matches remaining, Wednesday currently occupy the final play-off berth and are two points clear of Fulham, who travel to Hillsborough on May 7. When asked how many more victories the Owls need to wrap up a top-six finish, defender Lees told The Star: "I don't know. "We would like to avoid it going to the last day of the season with Fulham. We would like to avoid that scenario so we are trying to cement our place in the play-offs before then." Captain Glenn Loovens is set to renew his centre-back partnership with Lees at Loftus Road, having shrugged off a groin problem. The Owls head to the capital full of confidence following three straight victories. "QPR will be a tough challenge," insisted Lees. "Ian Holloway has turned them around a bit and got them playing differently. "They look a totally different team to the one we played at the start of the season. QPR carry a goal threat and it will be another massive game for us." Fernando Forestieri is pushing hard for a start after the Owls' forward came off the bench to grab the winner against Cardiff City on Good Friday. "It was fantastic for Fernando," Lees said. "I'm so happy for him." "It's a big plus for us that he's back from injury now. He's a great player. "It creates a real headache for the manager. You can see that everyone is chomping to get on from the bench and we have people who can't even get into the 18. It will be difficult to bring to select the front line."

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-let-s-nail-down-play-offs-place-early-1-8496034

WhiteJC

Fans need to be realistic

Aston Villa's recent revival appears to have come to an end with the defeat on Saturday against Reading at Villa Park. A 3-1 reversal was perhaps unexpected by some, especially after the Royals were hammered the previous week 7-1 by Norwich City. However, there seems to have been an overreaction to the result by certain fans.

Any defeat is tough to stomach, however, the loss on Saturday seems to have unearthed several lingering doubts which seem to surface far too easily after a negative result.

There are several issues on the minds of fans. Ultimately, it appears to be Steve Bruce who is the cause of the unrest.

Thoughts have begun to turn to next season. The main gripe appears to be a feeling that a promotion push will not actually materialise. The joy that seven victories in eight matches created seems to have dissipated as quickly as appeared. More worryingly, it seems to have done little to reassure fans that the club is finally moving in the right direction.

Personally, I find any criticism at this point completely unbelievable.

As I write this, it is a year to the day that Villa was officially relegated. A league season which saw a pathetic total of just three victories. This season was all about enjoying the step down instead of getting hammered every week. Hopefully gaining promotion if possible, but it wasn't the be all and end all. The basics were just to enjoy winning some games again and falling back in love with the club. It became a chore to follow the team last year.

This season still hasn't been plain sailing. I certainly thought we'd be at least challenging for the playoffs. But as it is, I'm really not bothered to have to spend next year in the Championship again. This is still more enjoyable than what we were going through in the Premier League over the last five years.

The style of football has been called into question. Which is funny, because during those clean sheet victories we amassed at the back end of February through to the start of April, I didn't see too many people complaining about things then.

All logic appears to have gone out of the window. Twitter especially was awash with all sorts of nonsense. From claims that we won't go up playing football like we have been, to derision over Steve Round's remit to find a 'Villa way' of playing.

Of course, we'd all love to be playing like Barcelona but to be calling the whole set up into question after this one defeat is ridiculous.

First of all, pretty much everyone can agree that Bruce isn't known for playing attractive football, however, the man has four promotions from this division under his belt. For anyone to say that we won't go up because of his style of play is quite frankly wrong.

As for the 'Villa way', anyone expecting us to be anywhere near even identifying what this is at this point, is deluded.

Look at the state of us last season and even at some stages during this season. We have rebuilt the squad twice and replaced one manager. We have really only ever had any sort of stability since the January transfer window was closed. Since the end of February, we've actually done pretty darn well.

Tony Xia has outlined his plans for this club and while they may seem overly ambitious, I believe that we will at least be improving year on year.

The first step is stability. That means having a settled group of players with no major overhaul. It also means keeping faith with a manager for a sustained period of time. We firstly need to become difficult to beat. I have certainly seen signs of that over the last couple of months.

There are a huge amount of positives to focus on. We finally have good, football people at the helm. A Chief Executive in Keith Wyness who has done the job successfully at other clubs previously. Steve Round as Technical Director is somebody with vast football knowledge and experience and a man with the club at heart, Brian Little as an advisor. Xia, of course, is the money man behind things and whilst not a football man, he has certainly connected with supporters in a way that we could only have dreamed of.

From previously having ex-Army generals and advertising and marketing men as CEO's, I'd say we were going in the right direction. The mess and destruction left by the previous regime will take the time to turn around. Clearing out the deadwood was a major operation. On the playing staff side of things, we're still not quite there even at this point.

On the pitch, I personally think this season gives us a great deal to build on. Our home form has been decent, and the defeat to Reading was just the third home loss all season. It is likely that Villa Park will only become more of a fortress next season with some of those draws becoming wins. The away form needs to be looked at obviously, but to expect it to all come together in one season is unrealistic.

At the moment, I don't particularly care that we aren't playing free flowing expansive football. I'm just happy that we've put some victories together. Clean sheets on top of it have been encouraging. On the personnel side of things, I think we need a few more additions of course, but nowhere near the major surgery that we've seen in recent transfer windows.

Bruce will never win over 100% of fans no matter what happens. Apart from his style of play, other arguments against him include a perceived lack of giving youth a real chance. My own personal view is that should we make it to the Premier League, it is unlikely that he would last too long with us. That is a bridge we cross when we come to it though. Right now, next season is all that matters, and there are signs that we will be well placed to achieve promotion and with his track record, it's difficult to argue for not giving Bruce the chance to fulfil his remit of doing so.

Right now it isn't about the style of football, unfortunately, and defeats in this league can happen at any time. Brighton, Newcastle, Leeds and whoever else you think play better football than ourselves have all succumbed to unexpected defeats this season. It happens, and it will happen next season also in all probability. Reading are a side currently placed in fourth position; losing to them isn't cause for a meltdown. They're a good side.

Don't forget the mess we were in just one year ago and when a defeat does come, stay positive and just remember that we are still a work in progress. Headway is being made but we aren't going to be winning each game in style week in, week out just yet.

http://www.avillafan.com/25543/fans-realistic/

WhiteJC

Up next: Aston Villa (h)
by Dan on April 17, 2017

The cliche at this point in the season is to describe every game remaining in terms akin to a Cup final. As much as your correspondent abhors employing hackneyed phraseology, it comes pretty close to summarising the situation Fulham find themselves in as a mad Championship campaign reaches the final furlong. Slavisa Jokanovic has been vocal in the build up to Easter Monday's potentially pivotal clash with Aston Villa about what the Whites need to cut out – but, in these last moments of the season, it is as much about dealing with the pressure as anything else.

That is why Friday's victory over Norwich City at Carrow Road was massive. Fulham teams of old would have crumbled once Chris Martin was given his marching orders for being overly aggressive in a tussle with the very savvy Mitchell Dijks. Tom Cairney revealed yesterday afternoon that the head coach told his players to calm down in the immediate aftermath of the red card, trust in their footballing ability, and keep faith with the plan that had carried them so far. To outplay opponents with a numerical advantage so comprehensively that 3-1 felt like a generous scoreline by the final whistle was some achievement.

The frustration of course came with the news that Fernando Forestieri's late winner had ensured Sheffield Wednesday could cling onto their top six place. Any disappointment would have been helped by Leeds' last-gasp equaliser at Newcastle or the sight of a laughable penalty award carrying Huddersfield past Preston. A day later and today's opponents couldn't deliver a timely failure and halt the Reading juggernaught, but the very fact that there are now three sides looking nervously over their shoulder in Fulham's direction shows just how impressive a job Jokanovic has done since Christmas to make the play-offs a realistic proposition.

The Serbian head coach has got the big calls right over the past few weeks. In my eyes, Marcus Bettinelli has been waiting far too long to get an opportunity to show how he has built on his solid early form when he was promoted into the first team after Fulham's relegation from the top flight. The academy graduate has certainly seized upon his chance to usurp David Button, whose dreadful errors against Derby made a compelling case for Bettinelli's return. In front of him, Tim Ream produced possibility his finest display in a Fulham shirt against the Canaries on return – with countless commanding headers and a reassuring presence on the ball.

Jokanovic's only big conundrum is who to field up front in Martin's absence this afternoon. The conventional striking option would be Cyriac, who probably deserves a start just for the impressive way that he thumped home that volley against Blackburn last month. But Jokanovic loves to spring a surprise. Floyd Ayite, so red-hot in front of goal of late, could be deployed at the top of the Fulham attack – just as he was so effectively following Martin's sending off at Carrow Road. Lucas Piazon, who started his career as a genuine striker, might come into the equation if Jokanovic wanted someone with a physical stature to occupy Villa's defenders and Neeskens Kebano's guile offers an entirely different option.

Aston Villa have won on just one of their last ten visits to Craven Cottage – and have failed to find the net in their last three trips. If Steve Bruce's side are to improve on that dire recent record they will need to get to grips with Tom Cairney, who was outstanding as he notched up his tenth goal to go with his ten assists at Norwich, and the visitors will certainly be motivated to put in a far better performance that in the defeat to Reading on Saturday, which contained a number of dreadful defensive errors. Bruce, who is already building for a serious promotion push next season, won't tolerate a repeat – even if he has to ring the changes.

The Villains might be without Welsh full-back Neil Taylor, who has suffered a groin strain and is likely to be replaced by Jordan Amauvi but Bruce's side have some significant firepower. Jonathan Kodija, who profited from another Button howler at Villa Park earlier this season, should shrug off the knock he received against Reading to partner the former Brentford striker Scott Hogan in attack. That nippy pairing should present a different set of tests for Ream and Tomas Kalas tomorrow. Bruce's line-up could be much changed from the one that slumped to defeat against the Royals, although the fact that all three of a central midfield combination comprising of Mile Jedinak, Conor Hourihane and Henri Lansbury, who has scored a brace on each of his last two visits to the Cottage, might be missing only serves to highlight the strength in depth that the visitors possess already.

Fulham will need to reprise the grit that Ream felt they had been missing in recent weeks before the trip to Norwich and they made need to be patient against a Villa side that will be dogged and spirited, as well as looking to play some beautiful football of their own. As Jokanovic knows, it certainly won't be easy.

MY FULHAM (4-1-2-3): Bettinelli; Fredericks, Malone, Kalas, Ream; McDonald; Johansen, Cairney; Ayite, Aluko, Cyriac. Subs (not used): Button, Sigurdsson, Sessegnon, Petsos, Parker, Piazon, Kebano.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/04/up-next-aston-villa-h-5/

WhiteJC

Bruce's Fulham preview: Boss – We must finish strongly

Steve Bruce has urged his players to finish the season strongly and send fans off for their summer holidays in upbeat mood.

Villa now have four games remaining – Fulham away, Blues home, Blackburn away and Brighton home.

The first of these sees a trip to Craven Cottage this afternoon – on the back of a weekend home loss to Reading.

Bruce has demanded that the season doesn't amble to a close and wants his players to put on a show for the closing quartet and create some momentum heading into the 2017/18 campaign.

He said: "We have Fulham next up today, who are arguably the form side at the moment.

"We have to make sure we are ready and be in the best physical condition that we can.

"I want us to finish strongly. I don't want the season to peter away.

"We also have the derby with Blues coming, a game away at Blackburn and then the potential champions Brighton on the last day of the season...so it's all still to play for."

Bruce says that, in injury news, Neil Taylor (groin) and Mark Bunn (knee) are both doubts for today's Cottagers clash.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/04/17/bruce-fulham-away-preview

WhiteJC

Opposition View: Kalas – Aston Villa will provide stern test

Tomas Kalas insists Fulham are in for a difficult afternoon as they face us today on Easter Monday.

Steve Bruce's outfit head to the capital looking to bounce back from Saturday's home defeat to Reading.

Fulham currently sit two points adrift of sixth-placed Sheffield Wednesday in a congested play-off race.

The on-loan Chelsea defender impressed in their 3-1 win over Norwich City on Good Friday and knows they must keep winning as they enter the closing stages of the campaign.

Kalas, who was a team-mate of Albert Adomah while at Middlesbrough, also reckons his side are in for a difficult match against the men from B6.

He said: "We knew Easter was going to be a tough period as we are facing two teams who have been in good form.

"We did well on Friday - Norwich were pretty confident after winning 7-1 against Reading. That shows every game is different.

"Even when we went down to 10 men we won 3-1.

"We will see what's going to happen against Aston Villa.

"We are playing at home and have to show character and that we want it.

"They're a good team and it will be a very tough match."

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/04/17/opposition-view-kalas-fulham-away

WhiteJC

Bruce - Reading Mistakes, Now Fulham

Manager Steve Bruce has admitted Aston Villa simply made too many mistakes in the defeat to Reading and now he's looking for a response against Fulham.

Hosting Jaap Stam's side at Villa Park for the first of two Easter fixtures, another characteristically poor performance from the side was devoid of some of the luck we've had lately in the winning run and simply put they were just more dangerous and productive with the ball than we were.

With James Chester levelling things up at one all after we lost the sixth minute goal, Reading went on to add two more to take the three one defeat and Bruce wasn't the only one disappointed at the full time whistle.

Speaking to the Official Site in his post game press conference, a disappointed gaffer knew we only had ourselves to blame.

'We have made far too many mistakes and it`s turned into one of those awful days. We have made more errors today than we have in the past two months. Unfortunately we never recovered. It got worse as the afternoon wore on. We gave ourselves a mountain to climb in the first half and we then did it again straight from the kick-off. Reading punished us.'

With a penalty shout on the day, Bruce knew it would've been a turning point.

'I have seen them given. I think the referee has obviously looked at it and seen it as ball to hand. We think it is a penalty. It would have been a big turning point in the game.'

Pressed more on our errors and mistakes in the game, he went on to say.

'The one thing we have prided ourselves on in this good run has been our ability to keep a clean sheet. All of a sudden that has gone out of the window with some awful, awful mistakes.'

With Neil Taylor and Mark Bunn missing from the match day squad, Bruce confirmed they'd both picked up injuries.

'They were out through injury. Neil has a groin problem and Mark has a knee issue. We will see how they are on Sunday.'

With Fulham next up on Monday afternoon, Bruce knew it would be tough with the quick turn around in time between both games but we had to show a reaction to this performance and defeat.

'We have been asked to play twice in 48 hours which is a huge disadvantage. We will deal with it. We don`t want to start making excuses. We have Fulham, who are arguably the form side at the moment. We have to make sure we are ready and be in the best physical condition that we can.'

That of course led to questions about rotation.

'The lads have picked themselves over the last few weeks because they have put a hell of a good run together. We will see what they are like on Sunday. I want us to finish strongly. I don`t want the season to peter away. We have the derby with Blues coming, the potential champions Brighton on the last day of the season...so it`s all still to play for.'

Read more: http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7522820#ixzz4eVI5VifW

WhiteJC

Derby County fans react to reports linking Chris Martin with Wolves

Derby County have badly missed Chris Martin's goals during his loan at Fulham - but would they really sell him to Wolves?

The fact that Fulham are on the verge of the play-offs with the Championship's most prolific attacking record doesn't reflect well on Derby County's decision to loan them Chris Martin in August - especially when you consider that The Rams are eight points behind Fulham in the League and have scored 27 fewer goals. In truth, letting their top scorer for the last three seasons move to a direct promotion rival not only strengthened Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic's promotion ambitions, it also seriously undermined Derby's own.

The Sunday People reports, however, that Derby could sanction Martin's sale to Wolves in the summer, a suggestion that they are yet to learn from their mistakes. The Scotland international may have struggled for form since attempting to apparently engineer a return to Pride Park after the turn of the year, but it's clear that Derby have missed his hold-up play and clinical finishing.

It would be a major surprise Derby were to let him to go ambitious Midlands rivals Wolves in the summer, Wolves manager Paul Lambert coached Martin during their promotion winning campaign together at Norwich in 2011, and Lambert crying out for a prolific goalscorer with none of his strikers getting anywhere near triple figures this season.

Some Derby fans point to Martin's perceived lack of work rate, and the fact that new manager Gary Rowett is likely to want a striker with more, let's say, edge.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/17/do-derby-county-fans-react-to-reports-linking-chris-martin-with/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic confident Fulham can secure play-off place

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic says his players ought to believe they can secure a play-off place.

The Whites host Aston Villa today having maintained their excellent recent run with a 3-1 victory at Norwich on Good Friday.

That win kept seventh-placed Fulham just two points behind Sheffield Wednesday in sixth and three behind fifth-placed Leeds United.

Jokanovic confident Fulham can secure play-off place

By West London Sport 17/04/2017
Embed from Getty Images

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic says his players ought to believe they can secure a play-off place.

The Whites host Aston Villa today having maintained their excellent recent run with a 3-1 victory at Norwich on Good Friday.

That win kept seventh-placed Fulham just two points behind Sheffield Wednesday in sixth and three behind fifth-placed Leeds United.

"It encourages us to believe in ourselves and (have) confidence fighting for the top six," Jokanovic said.

"We believe in ourselves, we play with confidence and we are fighting for the top six.

"We will continue to fight and battle. Now our focus is on Aston Villa."

Sheffield Wednesday are at QPR this afternoon, while Leeds are at home to Wolves.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/sport/fulham-boss-can-catch-sheffield-wednesday-leeds-united

WhiteJC

Previewing Fulham's push for the Championship play-offs

As the Championship season enters its final weeks, the race for the coveted playoff positions are heating up.

Fulham's battle to grab sixth position looks set to go down to the wire, with a sumptuous fixture away at Sheffield Wednesday on the last day of the season that will serve as a play-in game of sorts.

The Cottagers currently sit seventh, just two points off sixth-placed Wednesday.

Let's take a look at the Whites' final four matches.

Aston Villa (H), 4/17

Fulham play host to Aston Villa on Easter Monday, coming off a brilliant 3-1 away victory against Norwich.

Villa sit 12th on 58 points, 12 points and five places behind Fulham.

Their hopes for making an improbable late push at the playoffs were dashed last week, as even if Villa win all four of their remaining matches they will fail to break into the top six.

Even though Villa have nothing to play for, they are on a superb run of form. Over the last ten matches, no team in the league has picked up more points than the Midlands outfit (22 points from a possible 30).

This fearsome form will raise worries for Fulham, yet the Whites will be high on confidence after their remarkable feat at Carrow Road on Friday.

The last time the Whites played Aston Villa at home, they gained a 2-0 victory in the 2013/14 relegation campaign; Fulham will need to hope for the same result this year.

Huddersfield (A), 4/22

Arguably the toughest of Fulham's last four fixtures, the Cottagers have to travel to third-placed Huddersfield.

Fulham thrashed Huddersfield 5-0 at Craven Cottage back in October, but the John Smith's Stadium is not an easy place to travel to.

Premier League high-flyers Manchester City could only manage a 0-0 draw there in an FA Cup tie early this year, and the Terriers have also beaten the likes of Brighton and Leeds at home this season.

Any points gained from this away match would be vital; a win would be massive if Fulham hope to grab sixth position.

Brentford (H), 4/29

Fulham then face off against their in-form West London rivals in their final home match of the season. Brentford currently sit 11th, one place and one point ahead of Aston Villa, and are also on a rich vein of form.

The Bees have been the third-best team in the league over the past ten matches, gaining 19 points from a possible 30 on offer.

Fulham defeated Brentford 2-0 in their first encounter at Griffin Park this season, and will hope to exorcise the demons of Brentford's 4-1 win at the Cottage a couple of seasons ago

This match is a must-win for the Cottagers if they are to remain within touching distance of Sheffield Wednesday before their encounter on the last day of the season.

Sheffield Wednesday (A), 5/7

This is the big one. Simply put, Fulham's entire season rests on this match.

All 45 of the year's fixtures will come down to one Sunday afternoon at Hillsborough, where the winner will most likely take sixth place and a treasured spot in the play-offs.

For the vast majority of the season, Fulham have trailed the Owls, yet overtook them for a brief moment after the win away at Rotherham. Yet their stay in sixth place was short-lived, and after the loss away at Derby, the gap has stayed constant at two points.

The relative softness of Sheffield Wednesday's schedule (they play QPR, Derby, and Ipswich) means the Whites will need a victory at Hillsborough in order to leapfrog the Owls and claim sixth.

As long as Fulham keep the gap between them and Wednesday at three points leading up to May 7, a win will be enough for Fulham. Crucially, the Whites have a far superior goal difference, which could well be the decider if the sides are level on points.

Fulham have had some famous away victories this season: the wins at Newcastle and Norwich spring to mind. Here's hoping that they can add another at Hillsborough to reach the playoffs and elongate a brilliant year.

http://tbrfootball.com/previewing-fulhams-push-for-the-championship-play-offs/

WhiteJC

We'll Deal with Time Disadvantage says Bruce as Villa Head to Play-Off Chasing Fulham

The Villa Appetiser: Fulham v Aston Villa 2017

Unfortunately the last two performances have dampened Villa's spirits, but there's no time to feel sorry for ourselves.

Just under 48 hours after our defeat to Reading, we're back in action – and it's televised...

Can Villa realistically take anything from high-flying Fulham?

Bruce on Fulham

"We have been asked to play twice in 48 hours which is a huge disadvantage.

"We will deal with it. We don't want to start making excuses.

"We have Fulham, who are arguably the form side at the moment.

"We have to make sure we are ready and be in the best physical condition that we can."

and on the rest of the season

"The lads have picked themselves over the last few weeks because they have put a hell of a good run together.

"We will see what they are like on Sunday.

"I want us to finish strongly. I don't want the season to peter away.

"We have the derby with Blues coming, the potential champions Brighton on the last day of the season...so it's all still to play for.

Fulham's Tom Cairney on Villa

"They were a Premier League team last season and they've spent big.

"They've spent a lot of money and have got plenty of talent and ability, people who know how to win Championship games, so it will be tough but if we turn up then not many teams can live with us.

"I was hoping that Villa would do us a little favour yesterday [against Reading] but it wasn't to be and it looks like we're going to have to do everything on our own at the moment.

"It's still in our hands so we've just got to go into it with the same attitude we had Friday and get another three points."

Memory Match

8th December 2013 Fulham 2 Villa 0

First half goals from Sidwell and Berbatov were enough to secure the points for the home team the last time we headed to Craven Cottage.

Fulham – Last five matches at home: W 2, D 2, L 1

Villa – Last five matches away: W 2, D 1, L 2

One to Watch

Tom Cairney – the midfielder is amongst Fulham's top performers this season with 10 goals and 10 assists.

Facts to Sweep Under the Carpet

It was a disappointing end to our run of good form – with Villa seemingly back to looking like a team a fair way off promotion.

Reading are a decent team but didn't have to work too hard for their win on Saturday, and let's not forget they lost 7-1 the weekend before.

Craven Cottage was never somewhere that Villa enjoyed visiting in the Premier League – we have won just one of our last 10 league visits there, drawing five times, and losing four of the other occasions. In addition to this, we've failed to score in the last three meetings.

We haven't done the double over many teams in the Championship this season, and the history books tell us a Fulham double will be unlikely. Fulham haven't lost both league games in a season against Villa since the 2009-10 season...

Monday Football is all well and good, but we haven't won an away league game on a Monday since 2009!

These are hardly good omens when you consider our fortune when the TV cameras are about, and Fulham's impressive form of late...

Why Villa Have Got This Game in the Bag

Our away form has been a thorn in our side all season, but with the recent improvement in performances, there was at least an upturn in results on the road.

Televised fixtures such as defeats at Forest and Brentford might still linger in the memory, but since then we've won two out of five. Hardly groundbreaking, but a hint that we could take something from the game.

If we didn't have the goals of Kodjia (and perhaps Chester!) who knows where we'd be. There might be a chance for the goalscoring to be shared on Monday though, as Lansbury has scored a brace in each of his last two Championship away games at Fulham...

While our chances might not look great on paper, it certainly looks like there could be goals.

Bizarrely, none of Fulham's last 123 league matches at Craven Cottage have ended 0-0. It gets weirder.

The last time a goalless draw occurred was in the 2011-12 season – against Alex McLeish's Villa!

If something positive is to come from the Reading game, at least we might see a bit of rotation in the squad.

With the pressure on 7th placed Fulham to move into the play-offs, it could be a cagey game, but there's no reason why we can't take all three points.

UTV.

http://www.myoldmansaid.com/well-deal-time-disadvantage-says-bruce-villa-head-play-off-chasing-fulham/