watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Burton and Ipswich can do us a favour

Started by SuffolkWhite, April 21, 2017, 07:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuffolkWhite

Burton away for Leeds is a potential banana skin and the one game I think they may lose. Sheff W at Ipswich is the other game I think may do us a favour. I live in Ipswich and the Town fans here feel the last game against the Toon was the best they have played all season. Well here's hoping. I know its in our hands but a couple results in our favour will help.  COYW
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

ffc73

Hear what you are saying and hope you are right but after getting my hopes up & being 'disappointed' over recent similar fixtures I have come to the conclusion that we will just have to win the next 6 games & not worry about anyone else. 

Easy right?  049:gif

SuffolkWhite

Easy is not what we do alot haha  049:gif
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Riversider

Meanwhile Leeds fans are thinking that Huddersfield, Brentford and Wednesday can do them a favour, all better teams than Burton and Ipswich !
We can't rely on other teams to do us a favour, we're going to have to do it the hard way.

Andy S

Totally agree. This is where a motivational manager comes to the fore

The Old Count

We can but hope results go our way. Fact is anyone can beat anyone in this league.  There are still twists and turns to come.

filham

Quote from: FFC73 on April 21, 2017, 07:47:54 AM
Hear what you are saying and hope you are right but after getting my hopes up & being 'disappointed' over recent similar fixtures I have come to the conclusion that we will just have to win the next 6 games & not worry about anyone else. 

Easy right?  049:gif

Three wins then a draw followed by two wins would do nicely.

Andy S

There has not been a time in the modern game when any club has done another club a favour and has gotten away without it being noticed. The game is too well scrutinised these days. My Dad talked about the old Pals act but a game cannot be thrown without it being bloody obvious. So a result might do us a favour but nobody would risk throwing a game and getting banned. Even Martin with all his histrionics not blow a game on the field of play. Teams attempting to would be cheating their own paying public.

The only way is to work as hard as possible on the day and hope there is enough in the tank. COYW

BestOfBrede

Hmm, maybe they should scrutinise refs displays as well then, because I'm of the thinking that the 'old pals act' is not necessarily totally gone from the game as yet!

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: Andy S on April 21, 2017, 09:49:40 PM
There has not been a time in the modern game when any club has done another club a favour and has gotten away without it being noticed. The game is too well scrutinised these days. My Dad talked about the old Pals act but a game cannot be thrown without it being bloody obvious. So a result might do us a favour but nobody would risk throwing a game and getting banned. Even Martin with all his histrionics not blow a game on the field of play. Teams attempting to would be cheating their own paying public.

The only way is to work as hard as possible on the day and hope there is enough in the tank. COYW

Can you remember the Sweden Denmark qualifier in 2004 I think. The only result that guaranteed both sides qualified and at the same time eliminate Italy was a 2 - 2 draw. The bookies  at the time had 2-2  priced at ridiculous short odds . During the match, the fans in the stands were singing ' 2-2 , and we both go through ' . Funnily enough, it finished 2-2 and massive denials from both camps, and protests from the Italians followed.

SuffolkWhite

Just to clarify, wasn't implying that brown paper bags with dosh should pass hands. Just feel those are the two games IMO that could go in our favour. Totaly agree it is in our hands and we have to win 3 games. COYW  049:gif
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

SuffolkWhite

"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

KingofCheese

The Austria v Germany World Cup game was notorious as both teams went through on a 0-0 and nobody tried to win. However the OP was referring to the fact that Burton and Ipswich could win those games and thus do us a favour. I suspect neither Burton or Ipswich had been planning to lose so winning will be what they, the league and the fans would be expecting/hoping.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

cmg

Quote from: KingofCheese on April 22, 2017, 10:13:13 PM
The Austria v Germany World Cup game was notorious as both teams went through on a 0-0 and nobody tried to win.

Not quite right. Any draw or Austria win would put W.Germany out. A German win by more than 2 would put Austria out. Only a 1-0 or 2-0 to W. Germany would see both through at the expense of Algeria, who would have become the first African country to progress to the later stages of the Finals.
The Germans soon went 1-0 up and the game effectively then finished, with both sides passing the ball around and back to the keeper (which was then allowed).
Felix Magath was in the German side and the goal scorer was, ironically, Hrubesch.