watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (21/04/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 21, 2017, 07:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Three games left, but a favourable weekend ahead in Leeds United's play-off hunt
The Whites dropped to 7th at the weekend but have 3 fixtures in the next 3 weeks to get back in the top 6. We break down this weekend's possibilities.

Leeds United never do anything the easy way, and for the first time since November, they currently reside outside the playoff positions. It was only a month ago - after the victory against Brighton – that we were all dreaming of automatic promotion and confident in the knowledge that we would get another chance in the playoffs if we didn't catch the top 2 in the division.

None of us thought "1 win in 5" later, we would sit 7th in the league and facing a reality where we don't even make the playoffs.

However, I would like to look at the current situation from another angle, a more positive one.

At the beginning of the season, we all made predications on who would make it to the promised land of the Premier League. Most people would have included the likes of Newcastle, Norwich, Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday, and some of the more romantics within the Leeds fan base might have stuck in Leeds in through the back. I often refer to the team who climb into the playoffs at the end of season as the team I fear the most because they have had the momentum and have had to fight right until the end to get their chance at glory.

I think Leeds became expectant of a top six finish and they lost their fire inside to fight for every point. Now they have to fight, and fight hard, because three wins means top six - anything less and Leeds United's destiny lies in the hands of others.

I spent a lot of time over the last few days looking at how the Championship table may look after this weekend's fixtures. I looked at all the possibilities where Leeds would regain a place within the top six.

The possibilities are vast and the other two teams involved (Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham) both have tricky fixtures to manoeuvre around on Saturday. So, I felt it would be a good idea to take a look at Wednesday, Fulham, and Leeds United's games and make an honest judgement how all three teams will fair.

Here's this weekend's outlook:

Sheffield Wednesday vs. Derby County
Over the last few weeks, we have become the Sheffield Wednesday from 4 weeks ago: we all felt they had faulted and were destined for another season within the Championship. However, something just clicked and suddenly they now sit at 5th.

This week they host Derby County, a side who on the day can be either great or rubbish depending on how their mood serves.

I think the game will be an open affair; both sides possess an attacking threat and I expect goals from both teams. For Wednesday, this may be their downfall as other results will be flying around the Wednesday players heads during the game, so I can't see them really storming away with the result.

I am going for a draw, 2-2 if I have to pick a score. That's one point for Sheffield.

Huddersfield vs. Fulham
This fixture back in October saw Fulham railroad Huddersfield 5-0 at Craven Cottage. I expect this game to be very different. Fulham and Huddersfield are the two best footballing teams I have seen this season (sorry, true) and I anticipate a really good game.

Derby did us a favour last time around against Huddersfield: their late equaliser meant this game is just as important to Huddersfield who still have the chance to catch Newcastle for second.

Fulham's run in, a very difficult schedule, is what will be their downfall and I can't see them leaving John Smith's Stadium with any points.

Huddersfield will be too good and win. 3-1 is my prediction. That's zero points for Fulham.

Leeds United vs. Burton Albion
If the results play out the way I hope, Leeds will be in a good position against Burton. However, a win for Burton could see them safe from relegation so the lads will have to be aware of that. I still think we will walk out with the points. More on this game in the next few days here at Through It All Together, but three points for Leeds for this sake.

Predictions For Sunday Morning's Table
T    P    GD    PTS
Reading    44    3    82
Huddersfield    43    7    81
Leeds    44    17    76
Sheffield Wednesday    44    14    76
Fulham    44    22    73

I believe Leeds will be back in fifth, Sheffield will drop to sixth, and Fulham will be in seventh after this Saturday's fixtures.

I have been a Leeds fan all my life and, over the last few years at this stage of the season, I have usually become detached from football and looking forward to next August. Leeds usually sit somewhere around 15th in the league.

However, this April I am fully engaged, and after a couple of days of worry and fear... I confidently feel the stars will align on Saturday and we will be back in the playoffs.

Regardless, on April 20th, Leeds are in position to threaten for a play-off spot, and I definitely would have taken that in August. Chin up, Leeds fans... six cup finals to go. MOT.

http://throughitalltogether.sbnation.com/2017/4/20/15354576/leeds-united-playoff-hunt-championship-fulham-fc-sheffield-wednesday-burton

WhiteJC

Column: Fulham may have got three points from Easter but the weekend belonged to Stefan Johansen
New fan columnist Jack Collins was impressed with the Norwegian in both wins and he believes you'd struggle to find anyone who would disagree

If Fulham's Easter weekend could belong to any one man, there would be few dissenting voices amongst the Craven Cottage faithful if it was to be handed to the Whites' Norwegian one-man engine room, Stefan Johansen.

Two sublime performances began with a piledriver to open the scoring away at Carrow Road, which set Fulham on their way to a hard-fought victory. Johansen's technique, low over a fizzing ball, which left John Ruddy with absolutely no chance, was matched only by his textbook knee slide celebration in front of the yellow and green hordes in the corner.

The goal, in fact, pushed Johansen into the lead in the Fulham goalscoring charts for the season, ahead of Chris Martin by virtue of assists with both men having eleven strikes to their name across all competitions.

Whilst you'd be forgiven for thinking that Johansen's goal would be the highlight of his weekend, you'd be hard pressed to leave it there. After Martin's dismissal, Fulham reverted to a 4-4- 1 shape with Floyd Ayite leading the line and Johansen shifted out to the left wing.

After a little bit of research, it was clear to see that the No14 had rarely, if ever, been utilised in a left midfield berth before; but he slotted into the role with aplomb.

Not only did he manage to cover the recklessness of Scott Malone's intermittent dashes into the opposition half, but also put in a tireless shift working up and down the line to provide support and largely blunt the threat offered by Jacob Murphy and Alex Pritchard.

Back to his best: Stefan Johansen (Photo: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

Not content with just one exemplary performance, however, Johansen would again take up the mantle against Aston Villa. His inch perfect tackle on Jack Grealish whilst sprinting back towards his own goal was the platform from which the first goal was scored. It's his perfect round-the- corner reverse pass to Floyd Ayité which opens up the Villa defence for Fulham's second, and he goes one better for the third goal, driving from the heart of the pitch into the final third and putting the ball on a plate for Neeskens Kebano to finish off.

All three goals then, owe much to the Norwegian midfielder, and his man of the match accolade from the Fulham fans was a richly deserved one. It's incredible to think that this is a player who was substituted after merely 32 minutes on his Fulham debut, and the amount that the team now relies on Johansen's driving runs to turn defence into attack is testament to how much the Whites have improved since his introduction into the team.

When we think back to the start of the season, it's easy to forget that the experienced but extremely static pairing of McDonald and Parker was Slavisa's first choice midfield duo in the 4-2- 3-1 formation. This reached a head in the visit to Aston Villa, where our inability to transition from defence to attack in any way was made clear.

On the ball: Stefan Johansen (Photo: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

Johansen was given his chance alongside McDonald in the following game against Huddersfield Town, and the Whites turned into a different team, battering the in-form Terriers 5-0. Jokanovic had found his formula, and Johansen hasn't looked back.

From there, the No14 has become perhaps the key cog in Fulham's widely-lauded midfield trio - his tireless running and elegant ball playing ability allows McDonald the freedom to operate as the shield in front of the back four, whilst freeing up Tom Cairney to take up a uninhibited Trequartista role behind the striker. Johansen's workrate covers for Cairney when he's playing offensively, whilst also allowing McDonald to think primarily as a defensive buffer - he is the fundamental nexus around which the side functions.

Game by game, Johansen's importance to the Jokanovic system becomes ever clearer, and it's crazy to think that he hasn't always been one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Whilst there are plenty that see Johansen as a Premiership player in waiting, the Fulham faithful can only hope that he makes that leap in a Whites shirt.

Jack is the latest incarnation of GWL's Fulham fan blogger. He's also the Editor of Fulhamish and a regular on the associated weekly podcast. When not talking about Fulham, Jack provides live match commentary and social media for the UEFA Champions League and Europa League websites. You can find him on Twitter right here: @JackJCollins or his website: www.jackjcollins.co.uk.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/column-fulham-three-points-easter-12917327

WhiteJC

Duo In PFA Team of the Year

Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon have been named in the PFA Championship Team of the Year.

The Fulham pair have each contributed hugely to the team's Play-Off push, with Cairney more often than not captaining the side, and Sessegnon playing with a maturity that belies his age.

Cairney – whose form was rewarded with a Scotland debut – has been directly involved in 21 of the Whites' goals so far, scoring 10 himself and assisting a further 11 for teammates.

Sessegnon made his professional debut in the EFL Cup win at Leyton Orient, but now has 27 appearances under his belt, despite not turning 17 until May. In that time he has set up three and scored seven goals, the majority of which came from left-back, the position he's been allocated in the Team of the Year.

Former Fulham favourite David Stockdale is in goal, one of four Brighton & Hove Albion players along with Bruno Salter, Lewis Dunk and Anthony Knockaert, while Newcastle United are also well represented by Jamaal Lascelles, Jonjo Shelvey and Dwight Gayle.

The final two spots are filled by Huddersfield Town's Aaron Mooy, and Leeds United striker Chris Wood.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/20/duo-in-pfa-team-of-the-year

WhiteJC

Match Day Officials v Fulham (22/4/17)

The Football League have now announced the Match Day officials that will take charge of the game against Fulham this weekend.

Huddersfield Town host Fulham on Saturday April 22 for the game at the John Smith's Stadium and the match carries a 3pm kick off.

Referee: Andy Haines
Linesmen: Paul Hodskinson and Akil Howson
Fourth Official: Seb Stockbridge

Match Day referee Haines has officiated 37 games in 2016/17 with a return of 113 yellow cards and five red cards.

His highest card count this season was seven yellows in the game between Bradford City and Bristol Rovers.

He took in 27 matches in 2015-16 and in those games, across all competitions and football divisions, he handed out a total of 86 yellow cards and five red cards.

He was most card happy in the match between Oldham and Swindon in April with a total of nine yellows being shown.

Let`s hope it`s not another repeat and more of our players edge closer to automatic bans.

Read more: http://www.huddersfield.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=488588#ixzz4erf2Knf4

WhiteJC

Fulham: Popular defender to remain a White

Sky Bet Championship side Fulham will retain the services of youngster Ryan Sessegnon in May, according to the Daily Mail.

The Cottagers are chasing promotion from the Championship this season and Sessegnon has been a key player for them this season.

The 17-year-old has been watched by a number of top-flight English clubs; including Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and both Manchester clubs.

The youngster looks set to sign a new contract at Craven Cottage but it is expected the Premier League sides will continue to sway him to their camps – however Fulham will demand a hefty fee for the teenager.

Sessegnon is currently on just a scholarship contract but has appeared 27 times in all competitions this season.

After joining the Cottagers at the age of nine, the starlet went on to make his professional debut against Leyton Orient in the League Cup. Seven days later Sessegnon made his League debut in the 1-1 draw with Leeds United.

Sessegnon continued to impress as four days after his League debut, the then 16-year-old scored against Cardiff City to become the first professional footballer in the English leagues to have been born in the 2000s and score in a first team game.

He has also scored seven times for the Whites, including the opener in their game against Aston Villa on Monday, a victory which left Fulham sitting sixth in the Championship table.

Fulham sit in the playoffs on just goal difference with Leeds United having a tally of nine less in the League standings. However, the Cottagers are still to play Huddersfield, Brentford and Sheffield Wednesday as they fight for that sixth-place spot.

http://the72.co.uk/79329/fulham-popular-defender-remain-white/

WhiteJC

Two Fulham stars named in PFA Championship team of the season
Tom Cairney missed out on the Football Manager team of the year but his fellow professionals have voted him into their PFA team of the season

Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon have both been named in the Championship PFA team of the year.

Voted for by players, Fulham's pair have made the side along with four Brighton players, three from Newcastle and one each from Leeds and Huddersfield.

There was some shock when Cairney wasn't included in the Football Manager team of the year, but his fellow professionals have seemingly been impressed by the midfielder, who has ten goals and ten assists this season.

Scott Malone was included at left back in the Football Manager team, but 16-year-old Sessegnon has been named at left back in the PFA side, having scored seven goals for the Cottagers this season in his debut year.

The team in full is:

Stockdale (Brighton)

Sessegnon (Fulham)

Lascelles (Newcastle)

Dunk (Brighton)

Bruno (Brighton)

Knockaert (Brighton)

Cairney (Fulham)

Mooy (Huddersfield)

Shelvey (Newcastle)

Gayle (Newcastle)

Wood (Leeds)

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/two-fulham-stars-named-pfa-12917742

WhiteJC

Inside The John Smith's Stadium

Huddersfield Town fan Gary Haigh discusses a wonderful season for his side, and what it's like to have Fulham hero Rob Wilson as a father-in-law.
How did you come to be a Huddersfield supporter?

My Dad took me to my first game when I was five-years-old. It ended 0-0 but ever since then I have been hooked. I believe that it is important to support your local team and you just have to enjoy the trials and tribulations, of which Huddersfield have had plenty.

Who have been your favourite players over the years?

The two favourites for me have been Andy Booth and Barry Horne. Boothy is a legend for all Town fans and is our third highest scorer in the club's history after two spells. He was also a major player in the 1994/95 promotion team. Horne was a class act when he came to us in 1997. He could control the midfield and was a real leader during his time with the club. I was a little too young to remember Rob at Town so unfortunately he didn't make the cut.
How much have you enjoyed this season? Has it come as a surprise?

This season has been unbelievable for us, and after being in relegation battles ever since we were promoted to the Championship it's nice to have a different type of stress. There wouldn't be one fan who could have expected how well we have done this season. The whole club has had a culture change with the style of football, and the atmosphere in the ground has changed dramatically. David Wagner and Dean Hoyle have done so much for the club over the last 18 months to put us in the position we are in currently.
What style of play can we expect to see from Huddersfield?

Huddersfield like to play possession football with a high intensity which is quite similar to Fulham's style I think. We like to play it out from the back and build up the attack from the wing.

Who have been your standout players?

It's hard just to pick a couple as the whole team have stepped up this season. Our three loan players Aaron Mooy (Man City), Kasey Palmer and Izzy Brown (both Chelsea) have been outstanding and it's not a coincidence that our drop in form coincided with injuries to both Palmer and Brown. Luckily they will be back for the final weeks of the season, which is a big boost. For me the standout player has to be Jonathan Hogg as his work rate and reading of the game has been fantastic. His efforts can sometimes go unnoticed but that work has allowed the other midfielders much more freedom and space.
Which Fulham players do you think could cause you problems?

Obviously Ryan Sessegnon has been one of your standout players and I have been impressed with Tom Cairney as a lot of the play goes through him when I have seen Fulham this season.
Considering how well your season has gone, the 5-0 at Craven Cottage must have come as a bit of a shock?

That was a tough result to take, especially with the family connection to Fulham. I could have no arguments with the result that day, we simply did not turn up and Fulham played very well. We have had a couple of games like that this season. Most of the time in those it's not just a couple of players who go missing, it's usually the whole team which is obviously not ideal.

What's it like having a Fulham favourite for a father-in-law?

I know that Rob is a real hero at Fulham, and Adam (son), Natalie (daughter) and Tommy (grandson) are all big Fulham fans which is great to see. We do have good banter during the season but we all respect the love we have for our teams. If we are playing each other tensions can get a bit high but after the final whistle we have a drink together. Obviously after the 5-0 loss at Craven Cottage I had to endure a little bit more stick than usual. Hopefully we can both meet in the final at Wembley and at least one side of the family can enjoy Premier League football next season.
How do you see Saturday's game going?

I hope it will be a little tighter than the last game, both teams need to win to keep the Play-Off momentum going. I am sure it will be end to end and we will see attacking football from both sides. I would definitely say that Fulham have the better form going into the game but at this stage of the season anything can happen.
Where's a good place for away fans to get a drink beforehand?

The Boy and Barrel is the dedicated away supporters pub which is only a 10 minute walk to the ground and can create a good atmosphere for the fans before the game.
What score prediction are you going for?

I am predicting a 2-2 draw which would probably be a better result for Huddersfield than Fulham as the table stands, but I think both teams will pile everything forward for an entertaining game.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/20/inside-the-john-smiths-stadium

WhiteJC

Permutations: What Leeds United must do to reach Championship play-offs

Leeds United face many play-off permutations over the run-in, but the only one that really matters is: win the next three games and the Whites are definitely in the play-offs. Lee Sobot reports.

EIGHTY POINTS.

Hard to grasp that Leeds United could accumulate such a total and still miss out on a Championship play-off place on goal difference. Yet that could be the reality if United's play-off rivals maintain their winning streaks and Fulham share a final day draw with visiting Sheffield Wednesday. Sounds unlikely, but principal rivals Fulham have won their last three games and four of their last five. Yet Leeds can at least take comfort knowing that the Cottagers have an extremely difficult run-in and that in any case their destiny remains in their own hands.

However Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday, Reading and even Huddersfield Town fare, United know that three wins from their final three games will seal the club's first appearance in the Championship play-offs since 2006. Seventy-five points was enough to seal a play-off place in that particular season – with Crystal Palace finishing sixth – as United ended the regular campaign with 78 points.

Even two more points would take United to Palace's 2006 tally and an even smaller total of 74 points was enough to seal Sheffield Wednesday's appearance in the play-offs last term. But it is already abundantly clear that something out of the ordinary is likely to be needed in 2016-17 though the final-day fixtures could be United's saving grace. A miserable Easter Monday jettisoned Leeds out of the play-off places for the first time since November as a 1-0 loss at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers saw the Whites drop from fifth to seventh. Winger Kemar Roofe insisted after the previous weekend's 3-0 win at home to Preston that he rarely looked at the league table – and didn't even know where United were sitting in the Championship ladder. "If you asked me I don't even know where we are in the league," said the winger. "It doesn't bother us, we just take it game by game and just get the three points."

But rest assured, Monday's other results would have been the first port of call after departing the Elland Road pitch against Wolves and, not for the first time this season, nearly all of United's play-off rivals won. Third-placed Huddersfield Town might have been denied victory in a 1-1 draw at Derby County but Fulham's 3-1 defeat of Aston Villa coupled with Sheffield Wednesday's 2-1 triumph at QPR was essentially worst-case scenario for Leeds – especially with Reading also being 2-1 victors at home to Rotherham United. Similar sets of results over the next three weekends will mean that United miss out on a play-off place even if taking seven points from their last three games. Wolves missed out in a similar fashion in 2014-15, when a tally of 78 points was only enough to finish seventh as Ipswich Town pipped the Molineux club on goal difference. Yet only 72 points proved enough for sixth-placed Brighton the previous year. The Championship is an unpredictable beast and Leeds are bidding to escape it when English football's second tier is evidently at its strongest.

Yet even Fulham would do well to maintain perfect winning ways from their final three games with the Cottagers' run-in suggesting that Leeds might not need nine more points to secure their place in the top six. This coming Saturday could be pivotal as ,on a day when United visit sixth-bottom Burton Albion, who themselves face their own battle to stay up, Fulham visit a fourth-placed Huddersfield Town side who are still in with an outside shout of sealing automatic promotion, never mind a play-off place. That said, even faltering Newcastle ought to be able to gain the six points that would guarantee their second-place finish from their remaining fixtures which see home clashes with Preston North End and Barnsley sandwiched by an away day at Cardiff City. But the motivation for Huddersfield is nonetheless crystal clear and the Terriers have lost only four out of 15 games at the Galpharm this season, though Burton managed a 1-0 victory in Town's back yard on April Fool's Day. Even if the Cottagers do bag all three points in West Yorkshire, the following weekend's home clash with Dean Smith's Brentford side is no 'gimme' considering that the Bees have won four of their last six. And then comes the final day trip to Sheffield Wednesday, who will have had a home clash with Derby County and an away day at Ipswich Town to contend with before. The Owls, though, already have two points in the can on Leeds and are subsequently as short as 1-5 to finish in the play-offs, though it should be stressed that Leeds were 1-16 for a top-six finish a few weeks ago when the Whites held an eight-point buffer. The form of Fulham and Wednesday in particular has that gap wiped out leaving Leeds with a tricky conundrum with three games left. Even Reading and Huddersfield have yet to guarantee their play-off places but the Royals are 1-200 with the bookmakers while the Terriers are 1-50. Four points would seal the deal for Reading who have the 'easiest' run-in of the play-offs chasers with Saturday's visit to relegation-battling Nottingham Forest followed by a home clash with surely-doomed Wigan Athletic and a final-day trip to Burton. Jaap Stam's side are virtually home and hosed and similar comments will likely very soon apply to Huddersfield who need five more points to seal their top-six finish. Saturday's clash with Fulham is followed by a Tuesday-night trip to Wolves and the visit to Harry Redknapp's Birmingham City the following weekend. The Terriers then entertain Cardiff City on the final day and, given that Wednesday are already two points clear of Fulham and Leeds, it is no surprise that the bookmakers essentially view the race to finish sixth as a two-horse one. Fulham are slight favourites at 4-6 and Leeds 8-11. Yet, for Leeds, three fixtures clearly stand out head and shoulders above the rest – their own. Burton Albion away, Norwich City at home and Wigan away. Rather than getting the calculators out, Garry Monk's message is likely to be this – win them all and the Whites will be in the play-offs, regardless of what happens elsewhere. Leeds have netted three straight league wins on two different occasions this term – in September and December – when home victories against Reading and Brentford were backed up by a 4-1 success at Preston on Boxing Day. Given the red-hot form of the Cottagers, now would be a very good time to repeat the dose.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/permutations-what-leeds-united-must-do-to-reach-championship-play-offs-1-8501369

WhiteJC

Jokanović's Huddersfield Preview

Slaviša Jokanović believes Fulham can keep getting better, despite their recent run of three successive wins.

Those nine points have moved the Whites back into a Play-Off spot, but our Head Coach continues to strive towards improvement.

"We need to be optimistic, we need to push ourselves, we need to show ambition," he said in his pre-Huddersfield Town press conference. "The day that we are completely satisfied is going to be a very, very dangerous day for all of us.

"You have to try and be better every second, every moment. And this moment that we're in right now, three games before the end of the regular part of the Championship, I still believe we can be better, more competitive, more solid, faster, more clinical, and interpret situations better.

"I believe I am going to be a better coach tomorrow than I am today, and it's the same for my players. I don't want to believe we have reached our peak level, the space exists in front of us to still be more competitive, more aggressive, still play better football to be more dangerous for the opposition team.

"In life, homework is never finished, and you have to work and push yourself to be better. I don't want to believe this is our highest level, I believe we can push ourselves a little bit higher still."

The Terriers have enjoyed a fine season under David Wagner and look set to finish in the top-six, and Jokanović remains confident that his side will be making similar plans for May.

"Every team is under some kind of pressure," he explained. "I'm sure they are thinking about the Play-Offs. We are close to achieving this, but we are in a different situation.

"In football some kind of pressure always exists, but this is good news for us, we are fully confident in this moment and we believe we can win all the games.

"And with this mentality, everything is easier for us. From the other side, we understand we're playing against a team who have been a sensation in this league.

"This team have played very well, it's a very aggressive team, and I don't expect anything to be easy in this game. This is the only game that we're thinking about actually right now.

"Three games are in front of us but in this moment we have to think only about the first step. Different things are going to happen in these three rounds and we must be ready for everything.

"It's a massive game in front of us, a really important game, but it's not the last game of the season. We are ready for the Huddersfield game, and we must be ready afterwards for the next two."

Tickets are still available for Saturday's game, priced at just £20, with return coach travel on offer for £5. Call 0843 208 1234 to book.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/20/jokanovics-huddersfield-preview

WhiteJC

Fulham fans move swiftly to snap up Wednesday tickets

Fulham fans have moved quickly to secure their places for their potentially crucial Sky Bet Championship match against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough next month.

The Whites have announced that over 1,500 tickets for the match were snapped up by fans within six hours of the tickets going on sale while the remainder of the allocation is also expected to be swiftly sold in the coming days.

Fulham's good form in the past few weeks has seen Slavisa Jokanovic's side move into the top six despite previously looking like outsiders for a Play Off place. The Whites have won four of their last five league matches and the club now find themselves in sixth place courtesy of a better goal difference than promotion rivals Leeds United.

The West Londoners travel to Hillsborough on the final day of the Sky Bet Championship season to face a Sheffield Wednesday side who are currently just one place and two points above them in the table. With the race for the final two Play Off places set to be contested between those two sides and Leeds United, the match in South Yorkshire could yet prove to be a 'winner takes all' encounter.

Fulham have spent the past three seasons in the Sky Bet Championship following their relegation from the top flight in 2014.

http://the72.co.uk/79371/fulham-fans-move-swiftly-snap-wednesday-tickets/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic challenges Fulham to continue improving ahead of final three games of Championship season
The Cottagers are currently gaining plaudits left, right and centre but Jokanovic believes there is still a lot of space in front of Fulham where they can improve

Slavisa Jokanovic has challenged his Fulham side to continue to improve in every aspect of their game as they head into the final three games of the season.

The Cottagers travel to Huddersfield on Saturday in the first of those three games and have gotten the plaudits in recent weeks for their performances, especially in front of the Sky cameras on Monday where they beat Aston Villa 3-1.

Huddersfield sit in fourth place in the Championship table and this game could be a dress rehearsal for a potential play-off game, but the manager believes his Fulham side can continue to push and get even better than what they are at the moment.

He said: "I believe space exists in front of us to be more competitive and more aggressive and to play better football.

"We can be more dangerous against the opposite team and in life, once homework is finished you have to continue working and push yourself to be better.

"We can push ourselves even more still.

"We need to be optimistic and push ourselves and show ambition, working all day and when we have chance to compete we need to want it more and more.

"One day when we are completely satisfied, this day we will be very dangerous for all of us and we try to be better all the minutes and seconds in the moment.

"In this moment, where we are right now, with three games before the end o the regular part of the Championship, I still believe we can be better and can be more competitive and more solid and faster, more clinical, interpret better the situation and what is happening around us."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-challenges-fulham-continue-12920598

WhiteJC

Watch The Boys Train

Fulham's Official Fantasy Sports Partner Sportito is giving 10 fans the opportunity to visit Motspur Park to watch the First Team train on Tuesday 25th April.

To be in with a chance of winning, sign up at sportito.co.uk/Fulham, verify your account, and then head to Sportito's Facebook page and comment with your username on this post.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/20/watch-the-boys-train

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic tells Fulham they can be even better

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic has told Get West London that he believes his team can get even better in the end of season run in.

The Cottagers once again broke through into the Sky Bet Championship play-off places, with their televised 3-1 win over Aston Villa being enough to knock Leeds United out of the top six after the West Yorkshire side fell to a 1-0 loss to Wolves. But now the question is whether they can keep their place in the play-off spots, especially as just a few weeks ago they got into the top six only to be fall out just a week later.

And Jokanovic is confident that they will keep their place in the top six this time, mainly because he believes that his side can be even better. He said there is plenty of room for improvement for his Fulham side and that if they play to the standard he thinks they can, they will easily get a spot in the play-offs.

He said: "I believe space exists in front of us to be more competitive and more aggressive and to play better football."

"We can be more dangerous against the opposite team and in life, once homework is finished you have to continue working and push yourself to be better."

"We can push ourselves even more still."

"We need to be optimistic and push ourselves and show ambition, working all day and when we have chance to compete we need to want it more and more."

"One day when we are completely satisfied, this day we will be very dangerous for all of us and we try to be better all the minutes and seconds in the moment."

"In this moment, where we are right now, with three games before the end o the regular part of the Championship, I still believe we can be better and can be more competitive and more solid and faster, more clinical, interpret better the situation and what is happening around us."

http://the72.co.uk/79413/slavisa-jokanovic-tells-fulham-can-even-better/

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Richard Stearman played a full 90 minutes for Wolves on Monday afternoon as the Wanderers helped Fulham climb back into the top 6 by the end of Easter Monday after a resolute defensive display against Leeds United.

Wolves started brightly and Nouha Dicko gave them the lead, beating Rob Green with a low first-time shot. Leeds turned up the pressure in the second half, but ex Fulham goalkeeper Andy Lonergan saved from Souleymane Doukara and Kortney Hause cleared off the line to keep it 1-0.

Ryan Tunnicliffe featured for Wigan Athletic as the Latics fell to Brighton & Hove Albion on Easter Monday 2-1.

A day of contrasting emotions for both sides as the victory saw the Seagulls promoted to the Premier League and deepened the relegation fears for the visiting side. Tunnicliffe was subbed off in the 61st minute, with the game all but over.

Elsewhere, Lasse Vigen Christensen played the full 90 minutes and Cauley Woodrow was an unused substitute for Burton Albion as they ran out deserved 2-0 winners away at Birmingham City.

Lloyd Dyer put the visitors ahead before Lucas Akins hooked in from a corner in the second half to secure a valuable win in the Brewers fight against relegation.

In League 1 Jack Grimmer & Stephen Humphrys both played a part as Mat Sadler's second-half equaliser earned Shrewsbury a valuable point at nine-man Northampton Town.

Grimmer played the full match for the Shrews. A Marc Richards' header gave Northampton a 21st-minute lead, but Sadler headed home Shrewsbury's equaliser midway through the second period.

Humphrys, introduced in the 62nd minute with the visitors pushing for the lead went close late on but it was not meant to be and the match ended in deadlock.

In League 2 Marek Rodak starred for Accrington Stanley on Good Friday and also on Easter Monday, being named in the EA Sport EFL Team of the Easter Weekend.

The imposing goalkeeper kept two clean sheets and saved a penalty and produced a plethora of fine saves throughout the weekend to see Stanley climb up 12th in the table.

Cameron Burgess played the full 90 minutes on Monday as Bolton missed the chance to move four points clear of third-placed Fleetwood as they were held to a drab draw by relegation-threatened rivals Bury.

Over in Spain Tony Adams' first match in charge of Granada ended in a comprehensive La Liga defeat by a Celta Vigo side with one eye on the Europa League. Jozabed clipped in the opener for Celta, who made 10 changes to keep players fresh for their European push.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/19/easter-monday-loan-round-up

WhiteJC

Fulham and Huddersfield are both under pressure but that's good news for Slavisa Jokanovic's side
The Fulham boss believes both Fulham and Huddersfield are under pressure but that pressure is good news for the Cottagers ahead of final three games

Fulham and Huddersfield are both under pressure ahead of their tie at the John Smith's, but they are two different kinds according to Slavisa Jokanovic.

The hosts are still in the hunt of automatic promotion, despite Newcastle being seven points clear, and have all but secured their place in the play-offs with three games remaining.

Fulham, meanwhile, are in the play-off places on goal difference and are still fighting it out with Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday for the final two spots in the end of the season shootout.

There are three games left to decide who will play in the post-season games, but Jokanovic believes his side must only think about the game ahead of them and reckon it's good news for Fulham that the pressure exists.

He said: "Every team is under some kind of pressure, I'm sure they are thinking about the Play-Offs. We are close to achieving this, but we are in a different situation.

On the sidelines: Slavisa Jokanovic (Photo: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

"In football some kind of pressure always exists, but this is good news for us, we are fully confident in this moment and we believe we can win all the games.

"And with this mentality, everything is easier for us. From the other side, we understand we're playing against a team who have been a sensation in this league.

"This team have played very well, it's a very aggressive team, and I don't expect anything to be easy in this game. This is the only game that we're thinking about actually right now.

"Three games are in front of us but in this moment we have to think only about the first step. Different things are going to happen in these three rounds and we must be ready for everything.

"It's a massive game in front of us, a really important game, but it's not the last game of the season. We are ready for the Huddersfield game, and we must be ready afterwards for the next two."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-huddersfield-both-under-pressure-12920843

WhiteJC

Richard Stearman wants to stay at Wolverhampton Wanderers

Fulham defender Richard Stearman has admitted that he would like to extend his stay with fellow Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers beyond this season.

The 29-year-old spent seven years with the Midlands outfit before being sold to Fulham in a shock move in 2015, but rejoined Paul Lambert's side on a season-long loan in August.

During his second spell with Wolves, Stearman has surpassed the 250-appearances milestone for the club and is now setting his sights on matching teammate Dave Edwards's tally of 300.

"That would be great," he told the Express & Star. "I am playing now to try and extend my stay at Wolves. It has almost become like a trial period for me now.

"I have got to prove myself every day in training and if I get a chance, make sure I take it and show I deserve a place at this club. I have done it 250-odd times already and I want to continue to add to that.

"All I can do is play with my heart on my sleeve, play well, and do the most that I can to try and get a new deal – we will see."

Stearman recently found himself on the sidelines for nine straight games in the Championship but earned a recall to the starting XI on Easter Monday as the side claimed a surprise 1-0 victory at Leeds United.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/stearman-keen-on-wolves-stay_296439.html

WhiteJC

Deal close: Arsenal, Chelsea & Spurs set for transfer blow at hands of London rivals

The incredible form of Fulham teenager Ryan Sessegnon has been frequently discussed by Championship and Premier League fans in the Transfer Tavern throughout the season.

The full-back-come-winger is just 16 years of age but has already made 23 Championship appearances, scoring five goals, and netted against a Premier League club in the form of FA Cup opposition Hull City.

Widely rated as one of English football's most exciting young players, the England U19 is inevitably being linked with some of the Premier League's biggest clubs ahead of the summer transfer window, with The Daily Mail reporting on interest from Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham, Manchester City and Manchester United.

But according to the British newspaper, Sessegnon will pen a professional contract at Craven Cottage when he turns 17 next month, in a blow to the transfer plans of the aforementioned top flight sextuplet.

Although that isn't expected to deter their interest for the summer window in the way most new contract would, it will mean Fulham can command a much larger transfer fee for their left-footed prodigy.

Those in the Tavern, however, reckon Sessegnon would still be worth a punt even if the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs have to pay a big fee for his services. Right now, there's no other player in the Football League having such a positive impact on his club's season at such a young age.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premiership/deal-close-arsenal-chelsea-spurs-set-for-transfer-blow-at-hands-of-london-rivals/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic urges Fulham to improve ahead of Huddersfield Town clash
The Cottagers' boss believes his side can still improve despite their strong run of form

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has challenged his team to continue to improve as they head to West Yorkshire this weekend to face Huddersfield Town.

The London side leapfrogged Leeds United on Monday after a recording a convincing 3-1 victory over Aston Villa in the capital.

And Fulham are now the form team heading into the play-offs, having lost just two of their last 14 matches.

But Jokanovic is adamant his side can still improve in the three regular season matches which remain.

He told GetWestLondon: "I believe space exists in front of us to be more competitive and more aggressive and to play better football.

"We can be more dangerous against the opposite team and in life, once homework is finished you have to continue working and push yourself to be better.

"We can push ourselves even more still.

"We need to be optimistic and push ourselves and show ambition, working all day and when we have chance to compete we need to want it more and more.

"One day when we are completely satisfied, this day we will be very dangerous for all of us and we try to be better all the minutes and seconds in the moment.

"In this moment, where we are right now, with three games before the end of the regular part of the Championship, I still believe we can be better and can be more competitive and more solid and faster, more clinical, interpret better the situation and what is happening around us."

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/slavisa-jokanovic-urges-fulham-improve-12921413

WhiteJC

Huddersfield Town have reached 'match point', says Wagner

AHEAD of what he has labelled "a match-point game" due to Huddersfield Town being able to clinch a play-off place with victory, head coach David Wagner says the Yorkshire club finishing in the top six would represent "an unbelievable achievement".

The Terriers host Fulham tomorrow in a fixture that has potentially huge ramifications for all three White Rose clubs chasing promotion to the Premier League. Huddersfield lead the way among that trio, sitting fourth on 78 points – three ahead of Sheffield Wednesday and five in front of seventh-placed Leeds United. Fulham are five points behind Town, meaning victory at the John Smith's Stadium would open up an unassailable gap between the two clubs and guarantee Wagner's men a play-off place. "This is our match-point game to secure, for sure, our play-off spot," said the German head coach, whose side have a game in hand on all their rivals. "It is the first time this season that we can finish a match and have something in our hand. That makes it very exciting." Asked what a top-six finish would mean to a club who last played in the top flight 45 years ago, Wagner replied: "In terms of the size and the budget, I think everyone knows the type of club we are. "I don't like to speak about it before we secure it, but, so far, with our 78 points and four games to play, fourth in the table is an unbelievable achievement.

"Usually, this is not possible. But the players deserve to be in this position and fighting for a play-off spot. "We want to make it secure as quickly as possible. We have this match-point game to do that." Fulham will arrive at the John Smith's buoyed by a run of four wins from five outings this month. This well-timed dart for the finishing line has piled the pressure on Leeds and Wednesday, the two clubs who for several weeks had looked the most vulnerable among the top six to a late run from a rival.

Leeds, for now, are the club set to miss out and Garry Monk's side could do with a big favour from their neighbours tomorrow. There is also an argument to be made suggesting Reading and the Owls would be better served by Fulham missing out. Not only are Slavisa Jokanovic's side the top scorers in the Championship this term, but they are capable of destroying an opponent with their vast armoury of attacking talent. Huddersfield know all about that, having crashed to a 5-0 thrashing at Craven Cottage in October. "Fulham is a tough opponent," added Wagner about the team responsible for his heaviest defeat in English football. "I am not the biggest stats freak, but even I am aware they have the most goals and create the most chances.

"They are the strongest offensive team in the division. They have speed, have good ball possession and are strong on the counter. But they also have areas where I feel we can help them. "We are looking to use our match point at home. To do that, we have to make it very uncomfortable for Fulham. They must not be allowed to have an enjoyable game." Pressed on whether exacting revenge would be a big incentive for his players tomorrow, Wagner replied: "I don't think the players need any extra motivation. The motivation is that we can make the final step to secure a play-off spot. "Of course, we are aware what happened in the first game and we would like to correct that. But, for us, the situation is about winning this game to achieve something. "We do have the chance to correct the first game against Fulham. But we will have to bring our best game and I am totally sure the supporters will be behind us to create a match-point atmosphere. "I have had a few bad days here, mainly last season. "But, as a manager, you have to accept bad days. It is part of the game. "After every cloudy day, the sun will come. The important thing is you have to trust and believe in what you are doing. This was a day that I had to accept, not a nice one in my time here at Huddersfield." Isaiah Brown returns to the squad after a month-long absence through a knee injury, but Kasey Palmer, out since early February with hamstring trouble, has been ruled out for the season after suffering a setback in his rehabilitation with parent club Chelsea. "Kasey being out for the season is a big disappointment," added Wagner, who revealed the club are still conducting interviews to find a replacement for head of football operations, Stuart Webber, following his recent switch to Norwich City. "I have spoken with him on the phone and said, 'Leave it behind you and look forward to prepare yourself as well as possible for pre-season, as at the end of your career in 15 years you will not care about missing four months now'."

Read more at: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/huddersfield-town/huddersfield-town-have-reached-match-point-says-wagner-1-8504041

WhiteJC

Leeds United: Whites plan to take the nine points says boss Monk

United boss Garry Monk says the end of season permutations don't interest him as he is sure Leeds will win their final three games making what their rivals do irrelevant. Lee Sobot reports.

THERE were signs earlier on in the Spring that Leeds United might have already sealed their Championship play-off place heading to this weekend's trip to Burton Albion. Instead the Whites are not even in them. But United head coach Garry Monk knows three wins from three more games would seal the deal with the head coach arguing that the new situation is actually easier to comprehend. Having been eight points clear of the teams outside of the play-off places, Leeds slipped out of the division's top six for the first time since November when falling to a 1-0 loss at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers on Bank Holiday Monday. Not for the first time this season, almost all of United's play-off rivals won, with the seventh-placed Whites now trailing sixth-placed Fulham on goal difference, with fifth-placed Sheffield Wednesday two more points clear. But Monk knows that if Leeds can fulfil their end of the deal then nervy checks at the full -time scores will not be necessary over the next three weekends. United might have been jettisoned out of the play-offs places but Monk knows the fact that Wednesday host Fulham on the final day could provide Leeds with a crucial saving grace.

Even if the two sides win both of their next two fixtures and share a final day draw, nine points out of a possible remaining nine would definitely see United finish at least in sixth. It's a situation that sits fine with Monk who has full faith that his side can sign off the regular season with three crucial wins from three hugely important games. "It's very clear," said Monk, whose side face Burton away, seventh-placed Norwich City at home and then second-bottom Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium on the final day. "We have the mindset now of we have three games and we have the mentality that we have to win the three games.

"We have to go into it with the best possible frame of mind and best way to try and win those three games. "That's our mindset, that's what we said straight after afterwards on Monday and that's been the message all week. I actually said to the players afterwards that it's actually, probably, in a funny way, it's a bit easier. "Previous to the game on Monday, there was a lot of talk about how many points you would need to make the play-offs and there's also a lot of talk about what the opposition results were and stuff like that as to what's been going on. "It's very simple now, we win our three games and we make the play-offs." Leeds already have 73 points which in previous seasons has been enough to seal a place in the top six.

"We have to go into it with the best possible frame of mind and best way to try and win those three games. "That's our mindset, that's what we said straight after afterwards on Monday and that's been the message all week. I actually said to the players afterwards that it's actually, probably, in a funny way, it's a bit easier. "Previous to the game on Monday, there was a lot of talk about how many points you would need to make the play-offs and there's also a lot of talk about what the opposition results were and stuff like that as to what's been going on. "It's very simple now, we win our three games and we make the play-offs." Leeds already have 73 points which in previous seasons has been enough to seal a place in the top six. Monk knows the bar is going to be raised notably higher for May 2017. "You look over probably the last 15-20 years and 73 points has been the average that would get you into the play-offs," said United's head coach. "It just shows you how competitive this year has been. "I guess it's a little unfortunate that we've hit a year that has been ultra competitive and it's kind of strange to think. "Of course, our mindset is to win these three games but we could actually win these three games and end up on 82 points and just make the play-offs by one or two points." Leeds could even net 80 points and still miss out should Fulham and Wednesday win their next two games and share a final day draw – but Monk's plan involves there being no need to check how United's play-offs rivals fare. Fulham will visit fourth-placed Huddersfield Town on Saturday before welcoming 11th-placed Brentford to Craven Cottage next weekend. Wednesday entertain ninth-placed Derby County this weekend before travelling to 15th-placed Ipswich Town the following Saturday. The bookmakers are finding it almost impossible to split the chances of Fulham and Leeds finishing in the top six with United 8-11 having been 1-16 when holding an eight-point buffer. Fulham are 4-6 to finish in the top six with Wednesday 1-5 while third-placed Reading and fourth-placed Reading are massively long-odds on and considered home and hosed. Asked if he thought Leeds would need three wins to seal a play-off place, Monk reasoned: "That's our mindset. Our mindset is to take care of our own. "We are not going to be sat there looking and watching and hoping for anything else, we have to take care of our own business. Our mindset is to win our three games. "It has to be that way and we have proven that we can win three games in a row already this season and we have to go and do it again. "We know it's there. Is it easy? No. But it is it achievable? For sure. 100 per cent So our mindset is to win our three games. "We know that if we win our three games then we are in the play-offs. "The cynical part of you just thinks that 73 points, which we have already achieved, has been the average for the last 20 years. "The fact that we might finish on 82 points and only just get in there, it just shows you how competitive it is. "But inside we are thinking about the three games and that we need to win all three and that won't change no matter what the situation is."

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-whites-plan-to-take-the-nine-points-says-boss-monk-1-8504053