watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Slavisa Song.

Started by Funky Fulham Dave, April 21, 2017, 09:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funky Fulham Dave

Although I and I guess a few others find the Slavisa song mildly amusing there are some who don't.

So I've come up with a few alternatives.

"Slavisa, whoohaa,

He comes from Serbia

He'll short-circuit ya." (Repeat)

"Slavisa, whoohaa,

He comes from Serbia

He'll send the boys round to ya." (Repeat)

049:gif

knightwest

I can see how the current song can be seen as offensive, particularly by slavisa himself.

Unless I am mistaken, the connotation that "he'll murder ya" because he's from Serbia is due to the genocide which happened there. Unless there's another reason why he's murder you? Because serbians are hard? Again, that image probably only exists because of that same war.

I don't think this song is any different than singing about nazis to a German player or manager.

At best it's naive and not very imaginative, at worst it's bigoted.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: knightwest on April 21, 2017, 09:20:28 AM
I can see how the current song can be seen as offensive, particularly by slavisa himself.

Unless I am mistaken, the connotation that "he'll murder ya" because he's from Serbia is due to the genocide which happened there. Unless there's another reason why he's murder you? Because serbians are hard? Again, that image probably only exists because of that same war.

I don't think this song is any different than singing about nazis to a German player or manager.

It's not really that deep. It's about Serbians being hard, which isn't exactly the most demeaning stereotype in the world.

RaySmith

I don't suppose Slavisa  minds being though of as hard- I doubt if he reads deeper meanings into it.

He probably expects people in this country not to  know much about   where he comes from anyway.

f321ffc

Prefere the one that I heard sometime back shame it didn't catch on went something like this, to the tune of Englishman in New York.

Wooaaa he's a Serbian
Slavisa is a Serbian
He's a Serbian in South West six.
And repeat.

Us old us know the tune but for those youngsters who are the ones that do the singing and maybe don't know it.  049:gif

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VY1MfP9WUQk
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

bill taylors apprentice

Considering these kind of songs are suppose to salute the individual, either humorous or otherwise its a a bit naff to say the least!

Southcoastffc

As was posted by someone on TIFF earlier, surely the easiest, most likely to be sung and inoffensive to anyone is "All you need is Slav"?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Holders

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 21, 2017, 10:47:55 AM
As was posted by someone on TIFF earlier, surely the easiest, most likely to be sung and inoffensive to anyone is "All you need is Slav"?

That's good.

I suppose the Germans sing "all you need is Löw"
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Holders on April 21, 2017, 10:58:38 AM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 21, 2017, 10:47:55 AM

That's good.

I suppose the Germans sing "all you need is Löw"
:clap_hands:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Holders

..or "Man braucht nur Löw".

I like your Old English sub-text, by the way.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

NorfolkJim

It's not one I'm happy to join in with but I the comments about Serbia etc had never occurred to me, especially as in my youth "murder ya" was taken to mean triumph over or heavily defeat. It didn't mean to kill people and I didn't understand it that way - now people have made the point I think maybe they do have a point

BestOfBrede

Far too deep...
Surely it's meant to mean:
His tactics and team will give you a good whooping?
It's the same as saying I'd kill yer at chess eg
Which obviously doesn't mean I will kill you with a chess piece!

Woolly Mammoth

The pen is mightier than the sword, but you cannot write with a broken arm. ✍️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

TWFL

Quote from: knightwest on April 21, 2017, 09:20:28 AM

Wowza. Hardly imagine that the people composing chants in the back of H5 are contemplating the Serbian genocide as a good reason to put in 'murder ya' as a lyric. Slav is a gruff n rough man, look at him, he's a hardy/scary looking bloke, his playing career echoes that too.  So I guess when you have to rhyme something with Serbia, its an easy match to make. Nothing more to it. Sorry if it offends..