watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can we make 3rd or 4th place?

Started by Apprentice to the Maestro, April 22, 2017, 07:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apprentice to the Maestro

That would give us the advantage of playing the second leg of the play-off semi-final at home.

westcliff white

not sure away goals count in the play offs, if they do not is there an advantage to being home in the second leg?

Every day is a Fulham day

Fulhamerica23

I would rather play at home first. Get us a win and give us some confidence going on the road. Maybe make the other side cagey...play a game they wouldn't and when they come for their goals, like we did today, we just pounce and put 5 by them. 7-2 on aggregate. Playoffs sorted.

Burt

Quote from: westcliff white on April 22, 2017, 07:52:40 PM
not sure away goals count in the play offs, if they do not is there an advantage to being home in the second leg?

Away goals don't count...

If the scores are level after 180 minutes worth of footy, then it's 30 minutes extra time, and then if it's still level then it's a penalty shoot-out.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Most clubs in two-leg European competitions like to play the away leg first.

And if there is to be extra time or penalties then, again, most would prefer to face those at home in front of their home crowd.

dannyboi-ffc

Of course home advantage is massive especially if the 2nd leg goes to extra time just for the support and familiar surroundings.

Can we do it? We we could end up beating Wednesday and finishing 3rd and playing them in the playoffs lol. Anything can happen so don't rule it out! Today was massive for us especially because of Leeds
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

ffc73

I really do not care as I believe we can give as good as we get against any of the probable play off candidates.

Cannot see Reading not winning next week at home to Wigan so we will likely have to win both our remaining games to have any chance of finishing above them and Wednesday

I am more concerned about Brentford next week. Win that & I'll start thinking about the playoffs. Still have a gut wrenching nervousness about throwing this all away in last 2 games

Pleased to read Joka's comments. He is focused on next game. I don't think he will let the players start thinking of playoffs yet. Job still to be done

Woolly Mammoth

It's best not to look no further than the next match, best to focus on Brentford next, then Wednesday.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 22, 2017, 09:13:43 PM
It's best not to look no further than the next match, best to focus on Brentford next, then Wednesday.
Yes, let's not get too carried away.

But before the Brighton away game, I predicted 2nd place if we were to beat Brighton, and 3rd of we lost. (Didn't cater for the draw). If results go our way in other matches (Huddersfield have  a game in hand as well which they would have to lose ) then if (big if) we beat Brentford we could find ourselves in third place.  Hey ho !!!

..FOF..

Everybody should focus on a win only from now.... one game at a time.

Placing is not really in our control, depends too much on other teams.

BUT having a winning mindset is definitely in everybody's control.

I've said about winning mentality in another thread before the match when people were poisoning their minds with "only a draw" talk.

COYW!

HatterDon

There is ZERO difference between 3rd and 6th.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

filham

Just concentrate on a good win over Brentford and then send a weakened team up to Sheffield so that we are refreshed for the play offs.

toshes mate

Quote from: FFC73 on April 22, 2017, 08:48:09 PM
I really do not care as I believe we can give as good as we get against any of the probable play off candidates.

Cannot see Reading not winning next week at home to Wigan so we will likely have to win both our remaining games to have any chance of finishing above them and Wednesday

I am more concerned about Brentford next week. Win that & I'll start thinking about the playoffs. Still have a gut wrenching nervousness about throwing this all away in last 2 games

Pleased to read Joka's comments. He is focused on next game. I don't think he will let the players start thinking of playoffs yet. Job still to be done

+1

You are only as good as the last ninety minutes you play.  The slate must be clean for 3pm next Saturday.

gezkc

Let's concentrate on making 6th place first. It's still not a foregone conclusion. Brentford are no pushovers and Sheff Wed will want to win their last game.

Twig

Quote from: HatterDon on April 23, 2017, 03:19:25 AM

Totally disagree, there is EVERY difference between third and sixth. Playing the home leg last has potentially significant advantage, not least 30 mins of extra time and penalties. I should have thought that was obvious.

tslyon

Quote from: Twig on April 23, 2017, 12:38:58 PM

Totally disagree, there is EVERY difference between third and sixth. Playing the home leg last has potentially significant advantage, not least 30 mins of extra time and penalties. I should have thought that was obvious.

I would have to disagree with your obvious comment.  Fulham have played 44 league games this season.  They  have won 10 at the Cottage and 11 on the road.  They have a +13 goal differential at home and a +14 on the road. They have allowed 31 goals at home and 24 away.  So, while you may think their is a psychological advantage to playing the return leg in the Cottage, the players have obviously found a way to preform at a very high standard away from the friendly confines of Craven Cottage. 

Cheers,

Steve

toshes mate

Quote from: ..FOF.. on April 23, 2017, 12:18:09 AM

I've said about winning mentality in another thread before the match when people were poisoning their minds with "only a draw" talk.

COYW!

+1

Win every game is the only talk that makes sense to me, Brentford first......

tslyon

Quote from: toshes mate on April 23, 2017, 02:39:46 PM
Quote from: ..FOF.. on April 23, 2017, 12:18:09 AM

COYW!

+1

Win every game is the only talk that makes sense to me, Brentford first......

And I honestly believe this team could do just that.  And what a glorious run it would be.

Cheers,

Steve

Twig

Quote from: tslyon on April 23, 2017, 02:34:59 PM

I would have to disagree with your obvious comment.  Fulham have played 44 league games this season.  They  have won 10 at the Cottage and 11 on the road.  They have a +13 goal differential at home and a +14 on the road. They have allowed 31 goals at home and 24 away.  So, while you may think their is a psychological advantage to playing the return leg in the Cottage, the players have obviously found a way to preform at a very high standard away from the friendly confines of Craven Cottage. 

Cheers,

Steve

Where did I talk about a psychological advantage? Read my post.
Cheers

tslyon

Quote from: Twig on April 23, 2017, 04:15:04 PM
Quote from: tslyon on April 23, 2017, 02:34:59 PM

Cheers,

Steve

Where did I talk about a psychological advantage? Read my post.
Cheers

If not the points that are garnered on the field what potential SIGNIFICANT advantage is there for the second leg to be at home?  I obviously read your post, disagreed with your conclusion and pointed out the facts that this team can, and does compete very well both home and away.  Your obvious argument was that we want to play the second leg at home because, "playing the home leg last has potentially significant advantage".  So again, what was so obvious that I missed?  Other than the psychological advantage of the home crowd, why do think it so obvious that Fulham play at home for, "not at least 30 mins of extra time and penalties"

Cheers,

Steve