WhiteJC

Results

Sunday
Aston Villa
1 - 0 Birmingham

WhiteJC

Rivals fear Fulham's goal threat, says Cairney
by Dan on April 23, 2017

Tom Cairney believes the Championship promotion contenders fear free-scoring Fulham and that nobody will relish facing Slavisa Jokanovic's side in the end of season play-offs.

The Whites put four goals past promotion-chasing Huddersfield yesterday afternoon and the Fulham captain, who scored a spot kick for the second away game in succession, believes that Fulham's status as the division's top scorers is beginning to strike fear into sides towards the top of the league. Speaking to GetWestLondon after the final whistle at Huddersfield, Cairney said:

Yeah, they have to, as I keep saying, we're the highest scorers in the league and I think people will fear us. We play expansive football and sometimes get caught out but that has what has got us into this position and I don't think that will change. Everyone says every season that there is always one [team] that makes a late charge and goes into the play-offs and hopefully that is us.

I think we've gone under the radar a bit this season because we haven't been in there a lot the past few months and I think we are hitting form at the right time and scoring goals.

The 26 year-old is taking nothing for granted, however, insisting that Fulham are far from secure in the play-offs just yet and that his side face two tough final fixtures, starting with the local derby against Brentford next weekend.

It's a derby and they'll want to spoil our party no doubt but I think a win more or less does it for us with our goal difference so it's a big game. I'm sure the Cottage will be rocking and I'm looking forward to it.

I think they're a good side and go under the radar a little bit and have some very good players with high energy as well so it will no doubt be a tough game and one we can hopefully get something from.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/04/rivals-fear-fulhams-goal-threat-says-cairney/

WhiteJC

Boss Slavisa Jokanovic delighted with his in-form Fulham FC after Huddersfield Town win
Cottagers head coach believes his side are hitting their stride at the right time ahead of the SkyBet Championship Play-Offs

Fulham FC sent a promotion warning to their rivals with an impressive SkyBet Championship victory over Huddersfield Town at the John Smith's Stadium.

Despite going a goal down in the opening four minutes as Chris Lowe earned and converted a penalty, the Cottagers came from behind to score four goals in 30 first-half minutes.

The 4-1 scoreline ended the contest by the interval with the West Londoners now having won their last four league games, scoring 13 goals in the process.

And Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic believes his side are hitting form at the right time with 13 goals in the past four matches.

"We are in a good mental moment and we believe we can play good football and compete very well," Slavisa Jokanovic said.

"I am very happy at how we are at this time - we are solid and this is important for us.

"To win 4-1 is a great result but perhaps I miss the clean sheet.

"The team showed great character and confidence and we were very brave. We scored four goals but it could have been more.

"Our standards are improving and this is exactly what we have to do."

However, despite their recent surge up the table moving the Cottagers into the top six and three points ahead of seventh-place Leeds United, Jokanovic refused to look at the overall Play-Off picture.

"I am not looking at the table," he added. "I am only thinking about the next game.

"Now we need to rest and concentrate on the regular part of this competition."

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/boss-slavisa-jokanovic-delighted-form-12931390

WhiteJC

Fulham are the team to avoid in the play-offs and four other things learned as Huddersfield Town are beaten by the Cottagers
Rory Benson analyses the key talking points from Town's 4-1 defeat to Fulham at the weekend

Huddersfield Town were comprehensively beaten by an in-form Fulham side on Saturday, with the Cottagers running out 4-1 winners.

Chris Lowe put the hosts ahead from the penalty spot in the fourth minute, but Fulham responded with four first -half goals of their own.

Scott Malone equalised before a Tom Cairney penalty and a Stefa Johansen brace sealed the victory for the side from the capital.

Here Rory Benson reflects on the defeat before Town head to Molineux on Tuesday.

1. Fulham are the team to avoid in the play-offs
For me, the Londoners are the best side Town have come up against all season.

Most teams that visit the John Smith's Stadium have to adapt their style of play to counter Town's attacking threat, but the Cottagers got the better of the Terriers without having to change too much.

David Wagner will surely be hoping to avoid Fulham in the play-off semi-finals - should Town get there - with the London club recording a 9-1 aggregate win over Town in the two fixtures this season.

Psychology could well play a part as well and Slavisa Jokanovic's men would definitely have the mental edge over Town should they face each other in a two-legged play-off.

2. Form is becoming an issue
Town are coming off the boil at the worst possible time.

With the post-season fast approaching, Town have hit a second sticky patch of the season and will be concerned that they have won just two of their last seven games.

Add to that that play-off football is not yet guaranteed and the result is some very nervous fans in West Yorkshire.

The silver lining to the dip in form however, is that Town's first wobble - back in October - lasted seven matches (from defeat to Sheffield Wednesday to the draw against Blackburn) - before normal service was resumed.

Let's hope the seven-game spell from Bristol City to Fulham completes the second lapse in form.

3. Elias Kachunga is vital to the side
Yesterday's birthday boy was omitted from the side due to feeling unwell, with Joe Lolley filling in for the forward on the right wing.

And - although Fulham played well - Tommy Smith was far too exposed in the right-back position.

The understanding he and Kachunga have developed on the right side - both in attack and defence - has made them one of the best wide partnerships in the league, and it is difficult to replace either one of them.

4. Town fans proved their class again
At 4-1 down against a play-off rival, many sets of supporters up and down the country would have booed the team into the tunnel at half time.

But Town's supporters applauded their side in and the backing they gave their side in the second half matched the levels of noise made in the first half.

Although Fulham got the better of Town on the day, no team in the league will enjoy playing at the John Smith's Stadium with the Town fans in full voice.

5. Not much has changed
Despite some of the doom and gloom that inevitably follows a comprehensive defeat, not much has changed for Huddersfield Town.

Yes, Newcastle United can achieve promotion on Monday, but automatic promotion to the Premier League had become a pipe dream for Town over the last couple of weeks.

And with Leeds United and Reading losing, Town are still in a fantastic position to secure a play-off spot - with just one win enough to cement their place in the top six.

An unbelievable achievement for a side experiencing their best season in years.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-team-avoid-play-offs-12930936

WhiteJC

PL2 Match Preview: Wolves

Peter Grant's PL2 side take on Wolverhampton Wanderers at Craven Cottage in the final game of the regular season on Monday evening.

Tickets for the match are only £3 for adults, £1 for concessions and free for season ticket holders with their card. Fans are encouraged to come and give their support to the Under-23s.

The Whites need a solitary point to secure their place in the play-offs and are expected to reach the semi-finals. A variety of results are needed to knock the Whites out of contention.

Blackburn would need to win their final game, Fulham would need to lose to Wolves, and West Ham need a win and and to overturn a goal difference that currently stands seven in favour of the Whites.

However, with second and third place getting a home advantage, the Whites will be pushing for all three points against Wolves. Wolves occupy second position in the table and are not catchable going into the final round of fixtures.

However, a win on Monday evening could put Fulham above Newcastle and into third place, who have their own feisty last fixture against Middlesbrough in the Tyne-Wear derby for their final fixture.

Fulham's form has dipped in this final stretch of the season, having lost three of their last four league outings with one draw, and were also knocked out of the PL Cup on penalties after a 5-5 draw to Norwich.

All of the losses were away from home against West Ham, Newcastle and Blackburn, and the Whites will be looking to take full home advantage at Craven Cottage.

Fulham, who usually play at Motspur Park, have played twice at the Cottage this season and won both fixtures against Blackburn and West Ham.

Fulham's home form overall has been fantastic all season, winning eight, drawing one recently against West Bromwich Albion, and had their sole home loss seven months ago in September against Norwich City.

Last time out the Whites lost 3-2 away at Blackburn in their rearranged fixture with Blackburn Rovers, as Welshman George Williams grabbed a brace.

The Whites opened the scoring early in the second half, and the Rovers then went on to score three goals in quick succession before Williams pulled one more back just before the fulltime whistle.

The last time these two teams faced was back in October at New Bucks Head Stadium. A seven goal thriller went down to the wire with Wolves grabbing a late winner to go on and finish 4-3.

Wolves stormed ahead in the match, winning 3-0 before the Whites pulled it back with goals from Dennis Adeniran, followed by a brace by Stephen Humphrys. The winner came from Wolves in the 80th minute, taking a wicked deflection past Jesse Joronen.

Wolves will be full of confidence having won two games on the bounce, but their own form has been rather sporadic, winning four, drawing four and losing in their last ten matches.

With Swansea having been promoted already, there is one spot up for grabs. It is all to play for in the final weeks of the PL2.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/23/pl2-match-preview-wolves

WhiteJC

Fulham Boss Slavisa Jokanovic Not Focused On Leeds United's Results

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic insists he is paying no attention to Leeds United, despite the Yorkshire club's slip up at Burton Albion on Saturday putting the Cottagers in the clear in sixth place in the Championship.

Garry Monk's men held the whip hand over Fulham until Easter Monday, when a home loss against Wolverhampton Wanderers allowed Jokanovic's side to sneak into the final playoff spot on goal difference, with Leeds dropping down to seventh.

Matters were still tight heading into Saturday's games, but Leeds' loss at Burton and Fulham's win over Huddersfield has put daylight between the two clubs.

Nevertheless, with just two league games left, Jokanovic insists he is only focusing on Fulham and not on Leeds.

"No, I am thinking only about Brentford, our next game", he told his club's official site, with it being noted that Leeds had lost.

"Two games are in front of us and anything can happen.

"It's not time to look at the table, it's time to rest our bodies and rest our minds and be fresh and push in the last two games in this regular part of the competition.

"I have enough experience in the Championship to know many strange things can happen. We cannot relax and think everything is done."

Fulham next take on Brentford at Craven Cottage, while Leeds host Norwich City at Elland Road.

Leeds must surely take all three points, especially with Fulham having a vastly superior goal difference.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/04/23/fulham-boss-slavisa-jokanovic-not-focused-on-leeds-uniteds-results/334229/

WhiteJC

Cairney: Teams Fear Us

With four consecutive victories Fulham now find themselves well and truly in the mix for the play-offs and midfielder Tom Cairney spoke after the Huddersfield game about the enjoyment he is experiencing playing attacking football.

After going a goal down following a Chris Löwe penalty Fulham replied with scores from Scott Malone, Cairney himself and a brace from Stefan Johansen to run out 4-1 winners over Huddersfield Town at the John Smith's Stadium.

The Whites have been in rampant form in recent weeks, scoring 13 goals in their last four games with seven different goal-scorers keeping opposition defences guessing where the next threat is coming from.

"We are the highest scorers in the league", said Cairney, "And we haven't got a striker who has scored 20 goals so the goals are coming from everywhere, all over our team and long may it continue until the end of the season."

Cairney admits Fulham were put under immense pressure early on in the game at Huddersfield, especially when Löwe scored his penalty after four minutes. 

"I think you have to give Huddersfield credit, those first five to ten minutes they really took the ball off us and starved us a little bit.

"But once we found our stride we scored some great goals and I think the game was over at half-time," he said.

After Floyd Ayité was brought down in the 20th minute Cairney stepped up to score his second penalty in back-to-back away games to take the lead but the Scottish international didn't let the occasion get to him.             

"The penalty I took was a big moment, especially in a game like this, we needed to carry on the run and it was to put us in the lead so I felt the pressure a little bit but it was a nice one right in the corner."

Scoring the third and fourth goal Johansen took the game away from Huddersfield however the Norwegian limped off in the 86th minute but Cairney is hopeful he will be back next week.

"I think Stefan had just a bang, I think he kicked the bottom of someone's studs and I think it's just one of those sore ones.

"Hopefully the bruising will go down in a few days and he will train towards the back end of next week and be fit for Brentford on Saturday."

There is now a three-point gap between Fulham in sixth and Leeds in seventh and The Whites can all but secure a play-off spot with a win over Brentford next Saturday due to a far superior goal difference.

"It is a derby game and Brentford will want to spoil the party no doubt but I think a win more-or-less sees us in the play-offs with our goal difference so it's a big game and I am sure the Cottage will be rocking and I am looking forward to it.

"They are a very good side and I think they go under the radar a little bit and have some very good players with high energy as well so it will no doubt be a tough game but hopefully one we can get something from," said Cairney.

Fulham have found their form at the right time of the season and Cairney is confident no-one will want to face The Whites should we make the play-offs.

"Everyone says every season there is always one team that makes a late charge and goes into the play-offs and hopefully that is us.

"I think we have gone under the radar a little bit this season with the way that we have been playing because we haven't been in the top six for the past few months but I think we are hitting form at the right time and we are scoring a lot of goals.

"We are the highest scorers in the league so I think people will fear us, we do play expansive football and sometimes we have been caught out but that is what has got us in this position now and I don't think we will change."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/23/cairney-reaction

WhiteJC

Huddersfield Town must not make the same mistakes in the play-offs

Huddersfield Town's Chris Lowe has told the Huddersfield Daily Examiner that they can't afford to make the same mistakes they made in the 4-1 loss to Fulham in the Sky Bet Championship play-offs.

It seemed like it was going to be a great day for Huddersfield when Lowe was taken down in the box by Floyd Ayite, with him then getting up to score the resulting penalty. However things would soon fall apart as Fulham showed why they were in the chase to get a place in the play-offs.

They would soon equalise when Scott Malone scored from a narrow angle and the game would end up tipped on its head when Tom Cairney quickly followed that up with a goal of his own. The rest of the second half would see Fulham dominate, with Stefan Johansen getting a brace to confirm a comfortable win for the Cottagers.

The loss was painful for Lowe who said they could not repeat these mistakes in the play-offs, especially as a rematch against Fulham is possible.

He said: "We have to accept the result and move on and try our best on Tuesday."

"The defeat hurts, it's really painful – we know we can't make these same mistakes in a Play-Off Semi-Final or Final against really good teams."

"We started the game very well, I scored and it was great to be in front early in the game."

"But we lost a bit of our focus and concentration and gave the goals away far too easily."

"We have to defend better altogether and play better to first secure our Play-Off spot and then take it from there."

http://the72.co.uk/79602/huddersfield-town-must-not-make-mistakes-play-offs/

WhiteJC

Philip Billing: Huddersfield Town still fear no-one in the Play-Offs despite heavy Fulham loss
The Danish youngster is in defiant mood after the 4-1 SkyBet Championship defeat at the John Smith's Stadium

Philip Billing says Huddersfield Town will fear no-one in the SkyBet Championship Play-Offs - should they get there.

Midfielder Billing was a part of the Town team beaten 4-1 at the John Smith's Stadium by promotion rivals Fulham yesterday afternoon.

The West Londoners completed the double over Town after a 5-0 victory at Craven Cottage in October with the Cottagers scoring all four goals in the first-half after David Wagner's side took the lead courtesy of a Chris Lowe's penalty.

The defeat saw Town drop to fifth place in the table with Sheffield Wednesday leaping above them, although Town do remain five points ahead of seventh-place Leeds United with a game in hand.

And although it was a poor result for Town, Billing insists the players are not fearing anyone going into the play-offs.

He said: "To be fair we don't want to put too much pressure on ourselves. We just need to keep doing what we have been doing all season, we just have to keep playing the way we have been.

"We have shown what we can do, but the way Fulham pressed us, they did a job on us.

"Fulham play good football and we weren't at our best, however I wouldn't be scared of playing Fulham again.

"Obviously there are teams we would rather play but I wouldn't be too scared of any team."

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/philip-billing-huddersfield-town-still-12932194

WhiteJC

Leeds United need to look up just one place – forget dreaming

The disappointing 2-1 loss to Burton Albion was hard to take for Leeds United fans, a defeat that left their chances of reaching the play-offs torn, but not in tatters.

Tatters, rent asunder, no chances left at Last Chance Saloon, other clichés acceptable, will come next Saturday should the Whites lose to Norwich City, and nearest rivals Fulham get at least a point against Brentford.

In fact, should Leeds lose, then even a loss against Brentford would be enough for Fulham to secure a play-off place at Leeds' expense – such is the superiority of the Cottagers +13 goal advantage over the Whites.

Should Fulham lose against an equally in-form Brentford and Leeds win/take a point from Norwich, then things could be extremely tasty for the last game of the season – true cliffhanger stuff for an end-of-season shootout with one place at stake. Giving a modicum of hope to Leeds fans is the fact that Fulham have only beaten Brentford once in their last nine encounters at Craven Cottage.

That final weekend, the first one in May could present two sides facing opponents with totally differing fortunes. Leeds United will be facing a Wigan Athletic side that will still be in the relegation places, a side either fighting for their Championship survival, or a side already relegated – that depending on their fortunes next Saturday.

For Fulham, the situation couldn't be any more different. The Cottagers will be facing fellow play-off rivals Sheffield Wednesday who, by then, could already have cemented their place in the four team end-of-season round-robin competition.

Should that be the situation, that Fulham and Leeds have at least similar performances this coming weekend against Brentford and Norwich respectively, or should Leeds' performance against the Canaries be better, then the final game of the season for both teams could be nerve-jangling, more than tasty affair.

However, it could also be a dead rubber by then if Leeds lose to Norwich, the Fat Lady will have stopped singing and will have firmly planted her ample backside on the Whites play-off hopes.

http://the72.co.uk/79620/leeds-united-need-look-just-one-place-forget-dreaming/

WhiteJC

Newcastle will move for £10million-rated Fulham star Tom Cairney once they seal promotion
Rafa Benitez is a big fan of the playmaker and sent scouts once again to watch Cairney star against Huddersfield on Saturday

Newcastle are keen on the Scot (Photo: Getty Images Europe)

Newcastle will move for £10million-rated Fulham star Tom Cairney once they seal their Premier League return.

Rafa Benitez is a big fan of the playmaker and sent scouts once again to watch Cairney star against Huddersfield on Saturday.

Newcastle - who will win promotion by beating Preston on Monday- have made signing Cairney their priority.

And Benitez knows that play-off chasing Fulham will struggle to hold onto the Scot if they miss out on a top-flight return themselves.

Cairney, 26, is keen to prove himself at the highest level after failing to get a look in with old club Hull.

Bournemouth and Burnley, regular visitors to Craven Cottage this season to make checks, are also keen on offering Cairney a Prem chance.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-move-10million-rated-fulham-10283049

WhiteJC

Transfer News: Klopp Is Determind To Sign This English Defender Despite £15 Million Tag

Liverpool's interest in Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon seems to be increasing day-by-day according to the Mirror. The Englishman has been one of the best players for the Championship side and has been linked with a move away from the team in the summer.

Fulham have a chance of making it to the Premier League via playoffs and the 16-year-old left-back has been a crucial part of the Cottagers. To ensure that they get the maximum from their starlet, Fulham have attached a £15 million tag on the player.

That tag isn't scaring off Klopp it seems and the Express claim the former Borussia Dortmund manager is willing to splash the cash.

The Reds have played James Milner in that role this season but the Englishman doesn't fit into the role for long-term plans and a suitable replacement is required. Milner has done an admirable job in his makeshift role but he deserves to be playing in midfield and not being forced to play in defence.

With Alberto Moreno almost certainly leaving the club come the end of the season, Sessegnon seems to be the option for Klopp according to reports but spending that much money would make the youngster the costliest U18 the Reds have ever purchased.

The Kop Times Verdict

Sessegnon is supposed to sign his first professional contract in the coming month and Fulham will have to fight hard to keep their asset. Although Sessegnon is a bright player for the future, he doesn't seem to be the right candidate to solve Liverpool's defensive issues.

The Reds need someone who has Premier League experience or even someone who has played in a top European league. Klopp has been linked with moves for the likes of Sead Kolasinac and Jonas Hector and will have to move quickly to get them to Anfield.

Liverpool's summer signings could depend on them making the Champions League and should they achieve that, bringing in players from other top leagues will certainly be easier.

Sessegnon isn't going to be playing for Fulham next season unless they make it to the Premier League but we highly doubt he will make it to Liverpool in the summer.

http://thekoptimes.com/2017/04/24/transfer-news-klopp-is-determind-to-sign-this-english-defender-despite-15-million-tag/