more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My First Match at the Cottage

Started by PaulUMD, April 25, 2017, 06:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulUMD

Hello friends,

After 12 years of following this little London club that could from 3000 miles away via choppy Internet streams in Portuguese and telegraph wires and messenger pigeons, I am finally going to be in London when the whites are playing at home.  And what do you know, it's the last home game of the season and a match that could get them into the playoffs.  I imagine it'll be worth the wait. 

So anyway, I'll be ditching my wife and kids after lunch to head over to Fulham via the tube...so how should I get the best gameday experience?  Any pubs I should stop by?  How long for a walk around the concourses?  Other interesting things in the stadium itself I should check out?  I got a ticket in the Hammy End and cannot wait for the game.  Thanks for your help, and let's all sing them on to Wembley on Saturday!

VB

Hi, If your walking from Putney (bridge). Walk through Bishop Park, along the river to the ground, it's a lovely walk. The 1st thing your see when entering Bishops Park is the church (St Stevens, I think) it's where they filmed a scene from the film the Omen. If you want to meet other Fulham folk, there's always the Golden Lion, Fulham Palace Rd, or if you walk past the ground towards Hammersmith your come to the Crabtree, for home and away fans. There's lot of other Fulham haunts, hopefully others will put them on here. Ave a goodun
FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

Peabody

Grumpy Worthing White

Little London Club?.  :031:  :031:  :031:

PaulUMD

LOL, sorry.  You wouldn't know Fulham existed in the States before McBride and Boca and Keller played there.  Way different back then than now, when we can get every Premier League game live on TV.

Speaking of which, is McBride's open to the public or just hospitality on gamedays? 

Thanks all.

rweller86

Quote from: PaulUMD on April 26, 2017, 03:08:02 PM
LOL, sorry.  You wouldn't know Fulham existed in the States before McBride and Boca and Keller played there.  Way different back then than now, when we can get every Premier League game live on TV.

Speaking of which, is McBride's open to the public or just hospitality on gamedays? 

Thanks all.
Tickets only. Sold out for Brentford game.
@rweller

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: PaulUMD on April 25, 2017, 06:27:33 PM
Hello friends,

After 12 years of following this little London club that could from 3000 miles away via choppy Internet streams in Portuguese and telegraph wires and messenger pigeons, I am finally going to be in London when the whites are playing at home.  And what do you know, it's the last home game of the season and a match that could get them into the playoffs.  I imagine it'll be worth the wait. 

So anyway, I'll be ditching my wife and kids after lunch to head over to Fulham via the tube...so how should I get the best gameday experience?  Any pubs I should stop by?  How long for a walk around the concourses?  Other interesting things in the stadium itself I should check out?  I got a ticket in the Hammy End and cannot wait for the game.  Thanks for your help, and let's all sing them on to Wembley on Saturday!

As others have said, I would recommend the walk from Putney Bridge Station through Bishop's Park along the path overlooking the River Thames (at least for the first part of the walk). On the opposite bank you will see the boathouses of various rowing clubs. The Oxford vs. Cambridge boat race starts here.

At the ground take a look at the Cottage. It is at the Putney End (where the away fans will be so you won't be able to get to it inside the ground). If you are outside the Cottage about an hour or so (?) before the match you may get to see the Fulham team arrive by coach and walk into the changing rooms which are inside the Cottage. Outside the Cottage is a statue of Johnny Haynes. Both the statue and the Cottage are good for selfies. Admire the Stevenage Road/Johnny Haynes stand. Both it and the Cottage are listed buildings. About three quarters the way along the stand you will find the shop for a souvenir.

There are no pubs near the ground. The Golden Lion is near Putney Bridge station. The Crabtree is 5-10 minutes beyond the ground along the river towards Hammersmith. Alternatively you could get a real ale in the ground from a stand by the river near the George Cohen statue, not the normal stands selling Carlsberg and Guinness, and drink it overlooking the river. After the game you could also try one of the interesting pubs further along the river such as the Dove beyond Hammersmith bridge.

You cannot move around stands before or during the game (concourses? The ground is compact. We don't have room for concourses!) but you can try to sneak into the Johnny Haynes stand from Stevenage Road after the match to catch some of the atmosphere of the old stand, its wooden flooring and tight wooden seats. Also if you go to the Cottage end you can get a close up view of the Cottage.

Hope you enjoy your day and that the team deliver a decisive win.

bill taylors apprentice

As its a local derby and a lot of away fans about the area as well as your first game, I agree with the post above about having a beer inside the ground and enjoy looking around the ground etc.

PaulUMD

Thanks for the great info, friends.  I think I understand, that once you enter the ground you are relegated to the stand that you enter in, and can't walk around under/behind the other stands. 

Can't wait for the game.  If you see a tall confused looking guy in a 2009 Dempsey shirt (we're all over the Clint thing by now, yes?), make sure to buy him a pint!

HatterDon

Based on your name, I'm guessing you're a fellow Terp. enjoy the day and everything about it. Look for a 6'7" bald dude with a huge booming voice in the Hammersmith End. If you find him, introduce yourself. You will have met perhaps the biggest [in several ways] Fulham supporter of them all.

COYW & Fear the Turtle!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: PaulUMD on April 27, 2017, 04:43:33 AM
Thanks for the great info, friends.  I think I understand, that once you enter the ground you are relegated to the stand that you enter in, and can't walk around under/behind the other stands. 

Can't wait for the game.  If you see a tall confused looking guy in a 2009 Dempsey shirt (we're all over the Clint thing by now, yes?), make sure to buy him a pint!

You will have access to a view across the Thames from the side of the Hammersmith End, near George Cohen's statue and the real ale shack but also if you walk confidently past the steward were the Riverside stand starts you should be able to walk along behind that stand as well.

There's an open gate and the steward never checks your ticket (not sure what he's there for?) if you look like you know where you are going, so you can walk the length of the Riverside stand.

Southcoastffc

In addition to Apprentice to The Maestro's good tips etc above, if you haven't already do so you might find it interesting to read this account of Fulham's homes over the years, including this gem "The ground...... was far from ideal as there was a tree on the pitch and the ground was often waterlogged." :-

https://www.fulhamfc.com/history/craven-cottage
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

King_Crud

yeah go in early and have a pint on the river from the real ale tent at the corner of Riverside and Hammersmith ends, one of the best views in London

PaulUMD

Quote from: HatterDon on April 27, 2017, 05:54:50 AM
Based on your name, I'm guessing you're a fellow Terp. enjoy the day and everything about it. Look for a 6'7" bald dude with a huge booming voice in the Hammersmith End. If you find him, introduce yourself. You will have met perhaps the biggest [in several ways] Fulham supporter of them all.

COYW & Fear the Turtle!

Don, I knew you were a Yank but I didn't know you were a Terp as well!  Now I'm doubly proud!  I actually host a Maryland podcast (http://imsradio.podbean.com) if you're interested.

Your recaps are legendary!

Twig

Not sure I understand the advice from so many to walk from Putney through Bishops Park. It is a lovely way to approach the ground but for most people Hammersmith Station is more convenient.  The walk from Hammersmith is also pleasant, just get onto the Thames towpath as soon as possible and enjoy the iconic walk. The Crabtree is a decent pub for a pre game beer.

After the game I strongly recommend a walk back along the river under Hammersmith suspension bridge to The Dove, a wonderfully atmospheric and historic pub that I think you will enjoy.

PaulUMD

Safe and sound in London town, and thanks for all the advice.  Let's go get 3 points and get ready for Wembley!

Holders

Quote from: PaulUMD on April 28, 2017, 06:14:59 PM
Safe and sound in London town, and thanks for all the advice.  Let's go get 3 points and get ready for Wembley!

Freudian slip - I read that as 3 pints...
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

PaulUMD

Quote from: Holders on April 28, 2017, 06:32:32 PM
Quote from: PaulUMD on April 28, 2017, 06:14:59 PM

Freudian slip - I read that as 3 pints...

Works either way!

peaty

So what you might do is walk from Putney to the Cottage before the game. And then from the Cottage to Hammersmith afterwards, stopping at the Crabtree. Definitely worth seeking out The Dove in Hammersmith, as Twig recommends. Best of luck!

Quote from: Twig on April 27, 2017, 06:14:18 PM

After the game I strongly recommend a walk back along the river under Hammersmith suspension bridge to The Dove, a wonderfully atmospheric and historic pub that I think you will enjoy.

thebumponleroyshead

The Dove is an absolute must sip your ale overlooking the Thames and then try to get in the lovely smallest bar room in the world as per the Guinness Book of Records, have a Chiswick Bitter. Up the Fulham, let 'em all come the bigger the better! 049:gif 082.gif
Oh You Lucky People We're the Best Team in The Land