watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our last two penalties

Started by The Swan, April 26, 2017, 10:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

It was great to see Fulham score both our last two penalties but I was a bit concerned with the last one.
The penalty scored against Norwich was perfect but the one against Huddersfield was a bit scrappy.
The Swan

westcliff white

personally didnt htink either were struck that well, but they went in and thats all that matters.

For me if the keepers had gone the right way they would have been saved, however they didnt and thats that.
Every day is a Fulham day

AlexW132

The problem with Cairney being so 1 footed is that you can kinda tell that he's gonna put it right rather than left, and they're usually on the ground too, without a lot of power. If I was a keeper facing Cairney I'd almost certainly dive to my left.

Andy S

The ones that go in for me are fine. And hopefully the hoodo has finally moved on

f321ffc

Quote from: AlexW132 on April 26, 2017, 10:45:16 AM
The problem with Cairney being so 1 footed is that you can kinda tell that he's gonna put it right rather than left, and they're usually on the ground too, without a lot of power. If I was a keeper facing Cairney I'd almost certainly dive to my left.
:plus one:
Said the same on Saturday.  049:gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

westcliff white

thats what I am saying Andy, if they go in it doesnt matter.

Every day is a Fulham day

AlexW132

Quote from: f321ffc on April 26, 2017, 10:48:14 AM
Also the one penalty he shot left was saved

ffc2004

Quote from: AlexW132 on April 26, 2017, 11:11:14 AM

As has every other penalty that we've hit left, bar Martin vs Huddersfield at home.

AlexW132

Quote from: ffc2004 on April 26, 2017, 11:18:24 AM
Quote from: AlexW132 on April 26, 2017, 11:11:14 AM

As has every other penalty that we've hit left, bar Martin vs Huddersfield at home.
And Martin against Barnsley home?

Fulham76

Don't think it can ever be a poor or scrappy penalty if it hits the back of the net

Roberty

I would be sure that most penalty takers use the same foot and don't swap from one to the other

As far as I could tell Cairney invited the goal keeper to move before he hit the ball - the keeper went right which might be why both were to his left

In his day - Heider Helguson - use to wait until the goal keeper was laying on the ground before rolling it in - the first one I saw him take for us was against Chelsea and I think that if Petre Cech had not been so surprised he had enough time to get up, walk over and stop it before in finally wobbled over the line
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

valdeingruo

We have hit a few with power and look were they have ended up.

But I do see what you are saying, if we do get another one, theres a good chance if the keeper goes left, he could get a hand on it.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Arthur

Quote from: Roberty on April 26, 2017, 11:46:09 AM

I would be sure that most penalty takers use the same foot and don't swap from one to the other

As far as I could tell Cairney invited the goal keeper to move before he hit the ball - the keeper went right which might be why both were to his left

In his day - Heider Helguson - use to wait until the goal keeper was laying on the ground before rolling it in - the first one I saw him take for us was against Chelsea and I think that if Petre Cech had not been so surprised he had enough time to get up, walk over and stop it before in finally wobbled over the line

In 50-or-so years of support, I never felt more confident that we would score from the spot than when Heider was our penalty-taker.

The only player I know of, moreover, who was as happy to take a penalty with either foot was Louis Saha. To begin with, he took them - and scored - left-footed. I still recall my feeling of alarm the first time he shaped up to take one with his right peg (at home to Q.P.R. with the score at 0-0). I needn't have worried: Louis was just as reliable whichever foot he kicked with.

cmg

Quote from: Arthur on April 26, 2017, 12:36:27 PM

The only player I know of, moreover, who was as happy to take a penalty with either foot was Louis Saha. To begin with, he took them - and scored - left-footed. I still recall my feeling of alarm the first time he shaped up to take one with his right peg (at home to Q.P.R. with the score at 0-0). I needn't have worried: Louis was just as reliable whichever foot he kicked with.

Also Germany's full-back Andy Breheme. In the 1986 WC quarter-final shoot-out against Mexico he scored with his left. In the 1990 Final shoot-out he won the WC with his right.

I agree that neither of Cairney's penalties were enormously impressive, apart from the fact that they went in! However I think he merits great praise for taking them at all. He said, after his miss against QPR, that he wouldn't be taking any more. Circumstances have forced him to take the responsibility and he has stepped up as a captain should. Confidence is a large part of successful penalty taking and hopefully he is now looking forward to taking the next one.

filham

Full marks to Cairney for converting two penalties.
Both shots were on the ground and tucked away in the keeper's left hand corner.
Make the same shot a third time and the chances are the keeper will guess where it is going and unless it is hit with a lot more pace will be in with a good chance of a save.

If we get another penalty in any of our remaining games Cairney will need to do something different, the pressure is still on him.

Southcoastffc

Likewise.  if we get another penalty this season I'd worry if TC took it (Mind you, I'd probably worry anyway, no matter who took it.) Scott Malone, Johansen or K Mac would by my choices to take a pen.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

JakeFFC

I have always thought. In professional football the best place to take a penalty is high (middle to top of the goal, no need to risk it going over) and down the middle.

In my memory of watching penalty's at both Fulham and any sort of shootout on TV I cant remember the keeper not diving.

Run up, side foot it so the keeper thinks you are rolling it into the corner and then the side foot goes where the keepers face just was while they are on the floor.

I agree it gets risky when you take all your pens in the same corner so worth mixing it up a bit.

cmg

Quote from: JakeFFC on April 26, 2017, 01:41:36 PM
I have always thought. In professional football the best place to take a penalty is high (middle to top of the goal, no need to risk it going over) and down the middle.

In my memory of watching penalty's at both Fulham and any sort of shootout on TV I cant remember the keeper not diving.

Run up, side foot it so the keeper thinks you are rolling it into the corner and then the side foot goes where the keepers face just was while they are on the floor.

I agree it gets risky when you take all your pens in the same corner so worth mixing it up a bit.

A cunning plan, Baldrick....but one, as demonstrated by our ex-favourite Mr B Ruiz, that might not always work:

cmg

...after the miss shown above Bryan adopted a more reliable technique taught to him by Ronnie O'Sullivan:

filham

Ruiz was being too clever by half.
Think the likes of:- Langley, Lock, Murphy, Berbatov, McCormac. They all made it look so easy and only rarely missed.