News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Joey scumbag Barton banned for 18 months.

Started by f321ffc, April 26, 2017, 01:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lomotd

Interestingly, one of his most serious offences was betting on games he was playing in. He only did this on two occasions, one of those being Man City v Fulham back in 2006. He put £600 on Man City to win and we won (of course). Sorry Joey!

cmg

So ends the career of a talented footballer but a deeply flawed young man.

The saddest thing is that he is, comparatively,  the 'Mr Nice Guy' of the family, which probably explains why this was never going to have a happy ending.

AlexW132

Said in his statement he is addicted to winning... and yet he played for QPR!  064.gif

Riversider

Tomo

As much as I dislike the guy I do feel he's been treated harshly by the FA.

There is a massive stigma around gambling addiction in Football and there have been a quite a large number of 'top' players admitting their downfall. I personally agree with his statement there is a conflict of interest, how can the FA allow the game to be sponsored by Sky who are constantly plugging their own gambling website but then punish players for having a bet on Football matches? I feel if a player has the opportunity to influence and 'fix' a match that's a completely different kettle of fish but if for example he want's to have a bet on a team on the other side of the world for a bit of interest I can't personally see the harm..

"We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it." - Che Guevara

cmg

Quote from: Tomo on April 26, 2017, 03:11:48 PM
As much as I dislike the guy I do feel he's been treated harshly by the FA.

There is a massive stigma around gambling addiction in Football and there have been a quite a large number of 'top' players admitting their downfall. I personally agree with his statement there is a conflict of interest, how can the FA allow the game to be sponsored by Sky who are constantly plugging their own gambling website but then punish players for having a bet on Football matches? I feel if a player has the opportunity to influence and 'fix' a match that's a completely different kettle of fish but if for example he want's to have a bet on a team on the other side of the world for a bit of interest I can't personally see the harm..

I'd have to disagree with you here.
Betting on matches is, for a player, the thin edge of a wedge which leads to match fixing. Authorities worldwide are nervous about this and punishments can be draconian. Italy, to take just one example, has been plagued by this. In the 60s it cost England their current CB and a promising midfielder (Peter Swan and Tony Kay).
Other sports, particularly cricket, have suffered and, in the USA, one of the all time great player, Pete Rose, is barred from the Hall of Fame because of his betting transgressions.
Footballers are made well aware that the punishments are harsh when transgressions are proven. There is a big difference between me betting on the outcome of a match and a payer involved in that match doing so.
Barton's statement is well written and smoothly argued. But I tend to see it as another example of his tendency towards self-justification and an unwillingness to accept culpability for his actions.

snarks

The offences are a few years ago though, so I can see what he is saying. I think he has been harshly punished for his actions. He admits them even though the last one is 4 years ago. Also he never tried to hide the fact he was betting.

I think an element of the punishment is his past behaviour.

Buffalo76

Quote from: AlexW132 on April 26, 2017, 02:18:04 PM
Said in his statement he is addicted to winning... and yet he played for QPR!  064.gif

0001.jpeg  064.gif

stevehawkinslidingtackle

A player confessing to an addiction would probably have been treated differently if it weren't Joey Barton.  This however, gave the FA all the ammo they needed to get shot of him for good.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: stevehawkinslidingtackle on April 26, 2017, 05:46:32 PM
A player confessing to an addiction would probably have been treated differently if it weren't Joey Barton.  This however, gave the FA all the ammo they needed to get shot of him for good.

Why? The addiction is a reason but it's not an excuse.  If he needs help, the only reason he hasn't seeked it is he didn't get caught. A kleptomaniac will keep stealing until they're caught, doesn't mean it's right or it's justifiable.

He also cannnot blame the betting companies who sponsor, promote and partner the leagues and clubs. They help fund wages, player acquisition and pique fan interest. Yes there's a culture of betting in the sport, but it doesn't and shouldn't spread to the participants. There should be contracts that include the gambling and betting as forbidden to enable clubs to take more control, rather than clubs just giving guidance, regardless none of what he has done is justifiable and yes it's harsher than other punishments, but it could be a precedent for future offenders rather than comparing to past offenders.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: lomotd on April 26, 2017, 01:52:15 PM
Interestingly, one of his most serious offences was betting on games he was playing in. He only did this on two occasions, one of those being Man City v Fulham back in 2006. He put £600 on Man City to win and we won (of course). Sorry Joey!

That's not what it says.   "It was alleged that between 26 March 2006 and 13 May 2016, he placed 1,260 bets on the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of, or occurrence in, football matches or competitions in breach of FA Rule E8."

His last bet, allegedly, was on May 13 of last year.  1,260 total bets over a ten year span. 

Wingnut

He makes some very good points regarding the relationship between the betting companies and the game in his statement.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: Newry FFC on April 26, 2017, 07:06:23 PM
Quote from: stevehawkinslidingtackle on April 26, 2017, 05:46:32 PM

Why? The addiction is a reason but it's not an excuse.  If he needs help, the only reason he hasn't seeked it is he didn't get caught. A kleptomaniac will keep stealing until they're caught, doesn't mean it's right or it's justifiable.

He also cannnot blame the betting companies who sponsor, promote and partner the leagues and clubs. They help fund wages, player acquisition and pique fan interest. Yes there's a culture of betting in the sport, but it doesn't and shouldn't spread to the participants. There should be contracts that include the gambling and betting as forbidden to enable clubs to take more control, rather than clubs just giving guidance, regardless none of what he has done is justifiable and yes it's harsher than other punishments, but it could be a precedent for future offenders rather than comparing to past offenders.

Paul Merson admitted to being an alcoholic and coke addict after making a tit of himself on a number of occasions. The FA sorted him out 3 months rehab which he done and then came back to play again. Barton is a bell end but I think the punishment was harsh, especially if he really does have a problem. Just saying.

bill taylors apprentice

It might not be the crime of the century but the integrity of any serious sport is paramount or there's no point in its existence!

A tight rain is essential, there is no grey area when it comes to players and betting and a good old fashioned deterrent factor is required when punishment is handed down!   

bobbo

Just got to say this :- he made in excess of 1200 bets it equalled a 15 month ban
Two lads from my Saturday southern league club caught betting total 39 bets it equalled a 24 month ban which they have both now served. I ask the FA " where's the justice"
1975 just leaving home full of hope

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on April 26, 2017, 10:06:50 PM
It might not be the crime of the century but the integrity of any serious sport is paramount or there's no point in its existence!

A tight rain is essential, there is no grey area when it comes to players and betting and a good old fashioned deterrent factor is required when punishment is handed down!   

Yes when betting when there is knowledge of match fixing. But betting on lots of games that you have no idea what the result is going to be or have no inside knowledge , and just betting for the sake of it has to be different surely ? There has been no evidence that he has tried to fix a match. His first bet allegedly was 3 quid on himself to score the first goal, which didn't happen. The rest appear to be a string of bets a normal punter would place. If there was match fixing or betting with inside knowledge the story would be massive and Barton would be crucified. As it is, it appears opinions are split on his ban. Anyway,  I'm sure he could go and play in the Thai league or something like that. They love a bet too, but it's illegal nationwide so should be a perfect fit for the muppet.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: bobbo on April 26, 2017, 10:34:22 PM
Just got to say this :- he made in excess of 1200 bets it equalled a 15 month ban
Two lads from my Saturday southern league club caught betting total 39 bets it equalled a 24 month ban which they have both now served. I ask the FA " where's the justice"

If that was the players from Hayes,  then yes , that's a joke too.

Nick Bateman

What "Bad" Joe Barton (sounds likes a cowboy) admitted to is what 99% of ALL footballers do.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

southwest6

i'm one of the very few people who likes Joey Barton.. yes he's committed some pretty nasty offences in the past but he does come across as a smart and pretty nice guy outside of football. Brave of him to come out on his addiction.. He's quite clearly a troubled guy - and not sure what his childhood was like but the disease of addiction has no mercy. Doesn't give him a carte blanche by no means but 18 months is harsh. He needs treatment and i'm sure he'll get it