watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-The Big Fight

Started by bog, April 27, 2017, 08:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Is Saturday's fight the biggest in this country since the first Henry Cooper v the then Cassius Clay? I still remember Eamon Andrews' commentary when Enry's 'ammer flattened Clay at the end of round 4. 

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on April 27, 2017, 08:04:44 PM
Is Saturday's fight the biggest in this country since the first Henry Cooper v the then Cassius Clay? I still remember Eamon Andrews' commentary when Enry's 'ammer flattened Clay at the end of round 4. 

092.gif

Henry should have won that fight. He floored Clay, but the bell saved Clay, he would never have recovered to beat the count if the end of the round had not come. Then Angelo Dundee Clays cornerman slit Clays glove with a razor blade, so as to delay the continuation of the fight, whilst they brought another pair of gloves to the ring. Allowing Clay to recover in time. That was the Father of all stitch ups.
I have a huge Framed photo of Henry Cooper flooring Cassius Clay to the canvas proudly hanging up in my Living Room.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fulham Tup North

I thought you meant Fulham v Brentford!!
There were a few big fights in the 80's & 90's.  Eubank / Benn /
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

TC's Sporran

Bruno Tyson was as big as anything I remember

bog

I used to work at Daghenham Motors at Alperton and Henry had a green grocers in Wembley. He used to come in there to have his car serviced. You could not meet a nicer man. Clay said later that that punch was the hardest one he was ever hit with, if only Henry had caught him 20 seconds earlier and did not cut so easily.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on April 27, 2017, 08:41:31 PM
I used to work at Daghenham Motors at Alperton and Henry had a green grocers in Wembley. He used to come in there to have his car serviced. You could not meet a nicer man. Clay said later that that punch was the hardest one he was ever hit with, if only Henry had caught him 20 seconds earlier and did not cut so easily.

Indeed you are right Bog, and as you say, Henry was a real Gentleman.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.