https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Brentford's greatest ever game

Started by SP, April 27, 2017, 08:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

From their site:

Brentford 4 Fulham 0 - Division Three 26.04.92

Voted the greatest ever game in Brentford's history, victory over Fulham went a long way to confirming promotion and the Division Three title. Dean Holdsworth, Marcus Gayle, Gary Blissett, and Simon Ratcliffe all scored in the first-half to put Bees fans in dreamland as a return to the second tier for the first time in nearly 40 years beckoned.

AlexW132

Their obsession with us honestly is laughable.

davew

Let's hope that remains their greatest game and that we don't have to read it was their second greatest game after Saturday!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Jem

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Jem on April 27, 2017, 09:59:45 PM
Quote from: AlexW132 on April 27, 2017, 09:17:57 PM
As is ours with them.

Not even remotely anything like theirs. They've got 3 different threads on Saturdays game with us ,one of which has 40 pages. In comparison they barely get a mention on our messageboards

nose

i went and recall the ref (what else) massively helpped them. al our defence got booked early if I recall correctly and as a result were not able to tackle or challenge. their team was allowed to get away with total murder that went unpunished. they were probably better on the day but the contest was over before it began because of the ref... i remeber the game well because i took my boy to his first away game that day!

hopper

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on April 27, 2017, 11:10:32 PM
As is ours with them.

Not even remotely anything like theirs. They've got 3 different threads on Saturdays game with us ,one of which has 40 pages. In comparison they barely get a mention on our messageboards

Yep - from first hand experience, agreed. It's similar to how we cared about Chelsea, but they didn't really about us. Perhaps even more so.

Twig

Seriously, why do some on here obsess about Brentford? I just don't get it.  Certainly didn't used to be the case back in the 60's, 70's or 80's.  Is it just younger fans who don't buy in to the Chelsea rivalry (which I could totally understand) and are Manufacturing some other local rival? Or is it a sign of our diminished status that some see them as rivals?  Exactly same questions apply to QPR.  Sorry but but neither matter much to me.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Twig on April 28, 2017, 06:21:12 AM
Seriously, why do some on here obsess about Brentford? I just don't get it.  Certainly didn't used to be the case back in the 60's, 70's or 80's.  Is it just younger fans who don't buy in to the Chelsea rivalry (which I could totally understand) and are Manufacturing some other local rival? Or is it a sign of our diminished status that some see them as rivals?  Exactly same questions apply to QPR.  Sorry but but neither matter much to me.
h

Ok let me try & answer.
Been watching since 1978, dont consider Chelsea as rivals as such apart from the obvious geographical thing. Apart from the late 70s & early 80s they have been miles ahead of us, different league,we barely register with them. They would put at least 10 clubs in front of us when talking about  rivals. Surely a rivalry is a two way thing? My family are from Fulham, in the 60s my old man would go to Stamford Bridge one week  the Cottage next, and a lot of Chelsea did the same. He had cousins split between Fulham & Chelsea. Most of the old time Chelsea I know haven't a bad to say about us

Barring a few seasons we played Brentford regularly from 1980- 1998, a lot of Fulham fans seem to have erased that from their memories, myself, because of where I live & the company I keep, have not. They genuinely hate us & to me personally ,others like yourself disagree, they are far more of a rival than Chelsea.
The same applies to QPR, another very similar sized club to us with a one sided fixation with Chelsea. Games with them have have an edge on & off the field, they consider us rivals far more than they'd like to admit.
So thats my take on it, Im sure others may disagree

AlexW132

As is ours with them.
Nowhere near. We had a vote recently that said who's our biggest rival, Brentford were something like 5th, below Gillingham.

Wolf

I thought Brentford's greatest passion was QPR, or was that last week.

Does any club have particular dislike of those Bees? Perhaps someone of similar stature like Wycombe?
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on April 28, 2017, 07:51:06 AM
h

Ok let me try & answer.
Been watching since 1978, dont consider Chelsea as rivals as such apart from the obvious geographical thing. Apart from the late 70s & early 80s they have been miles ahead of us, different league,we barely register with them. They would put at least 10 clubs in front of us when talking about  rivals. Surely a rivalry is a two way thing? My family are from Fulham, in the 60s my old man would go to Stamford Bridge one week  the Cottage next, and a lot of Chelsea did the same. He had cousins split between Fulham & Chelsea. Most of the old time Chelsea I know haven't a bad to say about us

Barring a few seasons we played Brentford regularly from 1980- 1998, a lot of Fulham fans seem to have erased that from their memories, myself, because of where I live & the company I keep, have not. They genuinely hate us & to me personally ,others like yourself disagree, they are far more of a rival than Chelsea.
The same applies to QPR, another very similar sized club to us with a one sided fixation with Chelsea. Games with them have have an edge on & off the field, they consider us rivals far more than they'd like to admit.

Some fair points!
Although I would would say its only between 86&92 that they had the better of us in the past.

I've been supporting FFC since the early sixties and frankly Brentford were hardly thought about even after we dropped down to Div 3 as it coincided with their worst times in Div 4

Until recently their almost exclusive time in the lower two tiers has meant they have only met us when we were going through 'really bad times' and what can't be denied is they have taken advantage of that in games.

Similarly, the previous couple of seasons again coincided with their rise and our shambles but over nearly a hundred years there's been little to concern us regards what they are up too!

I can only imagine that if you spend the majority of your history in the two lower tiers you relish the rare opportunity to have a dig at any of your superior neighbours!

Jem

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on April 27, 2017, 11:10:32 PM
As is ours with them.

Sorry, that was meant to be tongue in cheek. Mind you, there are 4 threads on Brentford this morning:)
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Andy S

I couldn't care less most of the time about any of our opposition. I won't get any special feeling because be beat Brentford tomorrow. Hopefully I will though get a special feeling though should we make the play offs

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on April 28, 2017, 10:33:24 AM
h

Ok let me try & answer.

Some fair points!
Although I would would say its only between 86&92 that they had the better of us in the past.

I've been supporting FFC since the early sixties and frankly Brentford were hardly thought about even after we dropped down to Div 3 as it coincided with their worst times in Div 4

Until recently their almost exclusive time in the lower two tiers has meant they have only met us when we were going through 'really bad times' and what can't be denied is they have taken advantage of that in games.

Similarly, the previous couple of seasons again coincided with their rise and our shambles but over nearly a hundred years there's been little to concern us regards what they are up too!

I can only imagine that if you spend the majority of your history in the two lower tiers you relish the rare opportunity to have a dig at any of your superior neighbours!

Yep spot on with that. I've had Brentford mates tell me how much they absolutely loved having a proper rival when we fell into their laps.
I suppose traditionally QPR were their natural rival but their emergence in the mid -late 60s meant Brentford never had anyone of note until a run down, asset stripped, club on its knees Fulham rocked up for about 40 years.
Bees mate say they used to get excited about Watford, Reading & Aldershot, hardly surprising they were like dogs with two tails over us.
It does wind me up when our fans dismiss them as a bit of an irrevelance, still recall Flats on the Cottage & the sheer vitriol aimed at us. For me this is the game I hate losing over all others, been in touch with my Bees mates all week &I'm absolutely dreading losing this. The thought of them celebrating if they win makes me feel sick to the stomach

nose

i do not give a monkey's about brentford or QPR, I do not wish them ill or well, they are like every other team except when we play them it is easier to get to and likely to have more of their supporters at our place.

Chelsea? I would be indifferent to them too except their supporters over the years have been so appalling that I do dislike them, but not the club as such. Chelsea is a fairly horrible place to go and watch football because the pitch used to be so far from the  fans and nowadays it is full of tourists and Neanderthals.

Chesh

h

Ok let me try & answer.

Spot on Hillingdon
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

SP

Getting rather serious on here these days?  I was just having a light hearted dig at one of our local rivals who we are about to play.  I'm also partial to having a dig at QPR - can't see what the problem is?