more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (28/04/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 28, 2017, 07:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney: 'Fulham will be feared'

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney has said that the club's rivals will be in "fear" of them in the final two games of the Championship season.

The 26-year-old was among the scorers last weekend as the Cottagers claimed an impressive 4-1 victory at Huddersfield Town to make it four straight wins for Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

That run has seen Fulham climb into sixth spot in the table, and a home win against Brentford this Saturday would effectively make sure of their participation in the playoffs.

"Everyone says every season there is always one team that makes a late charge and goes into the playoffs and hopefully that is us," Cairney - last month voted EFL Player of the Year at the London Football Awards - told the Evening Standard.

"I think we have gone under the radar a little bit this season with the way that we have been playing because we haven't been in the top six for the past few months but I think we are hitting form at the right time and we are scoring a lot of goals.

"We are the highest scorers in the league so I think people will fear us, we do play expansive football and sometimes we have been caught out but that is what has got us in this position now and I don't think we will change."

After the visit from the Bees, Jokanovic's side travel to fifth-placed Sheffield Wednesday in the final game of the season.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/tom-cairney-fulham-will-be-feared_296882.html

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon EXCLUSIVE: This is who Fulham star wants to play for next season

RYAN SESSEGNON is likely to snub the chance to leave Fulham this summer.

Ryan Sessegnon is on the radar of all the big boys

The 16-year-old left-back is regarded as one of the hottest prospects in English football with all the big boys interested.

Liverpool have identified the England Under-19 international as having the potential to star for them but they are not alone in scouting him.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham have watched Sessegnon too - as well as both Manchester giants.

London lad Sessegnon is a boyhood Liverpool fan, which would play into Jurgen Klopp's hands if he does up the ante.

But according to those close to the player, Sessegnon sees his future at Craven Cottage - for now.

A source told Starsport: "Ryan's had a great season that has exceeded all expectations.

"He is aware of the interest but he has a 30-year-old's head on a 16-year-old's shoulders.

"If he leaves Fulham he knows he could end up playing under-23 football somewhere else - and that's not what he wants to do.

"He sees Fulham as the best place to play his football - and he loves it there."

Sessegnon has scored seven goals in 28 games in his breakthrough campaign in the Championship.

Sessegnon turns 17 next month, when he is expected to sign the first pro contract of his career.

There's still a chance he could be playing Premier League football next year with Fulham sitting sixth in the Championship table.

They are three points clear of Leeds and have a better goal difference with two games left to go.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/609303/Ryan-Sessegnon-transfer-news-Fulham-Liverpool-Arsenal-Chelsea-Man-United-Tottenham-City

WhiteJC

Richard Stearman: I'd love to stay at Wolves

Richard Stearman says he'd love to make a permanent return to Wolves, but remains in the dark on his future.

The centre-half has come back into the fold for Wolves' past three matches, in which they've conceded just one goal.

He is due to return to parent club Fulham this summer, unless Wolves look to make what would be a third move for him, after originally signing him in 2008 and then snapping him up on loan at the start of this season.

The 29-year-old said: "I'd love to stay. Anyone who knows me knows that here is where I want to play my football.

"If something can be done then great. I'm hoping it will and we'll see what happens at the end of the season.

"There's plenty of players up and down the country that don't quite know what's going to happen next year.

"I think a lot of people are waiting until the end of the season before they sort out what and who they need.

"We'll wait and see on that one. I've not particularly spoken to Fulham, I think they're concentrating on the season they're having."

Stearman had endured a frustrating few weeks out of the team during Wolves' recent winning run.

Lambert must make calls on Stearman, as well as out-of-contract players Mike Williamson, Jack Price, George Saville and Silvio in the next few weeks.

Stearman hopes he's given the Scottish head coach something to think about.

"To concede one goal in the three games, including against two teams in and around the play-offs, I'm very happy with how I've done on a personal note," the defender added.

"It's great whenever I get to put on the shirt. The more times I can do that the better.

"I'll wear it as best I can and perform as best I can.

"The boys obviously went through a very good patch with me not being in the side, I couldn't complain. You've got to wait and prepare as if you'll get another chance.

"Thankfully I have, and I'd like to think I've given the manager something to think about."

Read more at http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2017/04/27/richard-stearman-id-love-to-stay-at-wolves/#rO0il0gjSZC7YqQ1.99

WhiteJC

Report: Cardiff's Kadeem Harris set to disappoint trio of interested Championship rivals by signing new contract

The Bluebirds winger was reportedly interesting Fulham, Barnsley and Ipswich Town.

Cardiff City winger Kadeem Harris is set to disappoint a trio of Championship rivals by signing a new contract, according to the Sun.

Harris has established himself as a regular since Neil Warnock's arrival at the Cardiff City Stadium, rewarding his manager's faith with four goals and four assists in 27 appearances.

But with his contract due to expire at the end of the campaign Harris is said to have interest elsewhere, with promotion-chasing Fulham the most notable of suitors.

Barnsley and Ipswich Town are credited with an interest in the 23-year-old, but the trio look set to be disappointed according to the Sun.

Harris will reportedly commit his future to Cardiff until 2019, despite the undoubted appeal of a return to his native London with Fulham.

The Cottagers currently occupy the Championship's final play-off place, but are on a run of form which has convinced many they can go the distance this season.

Preston's Callum Robinson and Peterborough's Marcus Maddison have also been linked with moves to Fulham in recent months, suggesting that a new wide man will feature highly on Slavisa Jokanovic's list of priorities this summer.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/27/report-cardiffs-kadeem-harris-set-to-disappoint-trio-of-interest/

WhiteJC

The Chelsea player that would be the perfect Tom Cairney replacement at Fulham

Fulham have, without a doubt, been one of the most exciting teams to watch in the Championship this season.

Top scorers with an impressive 82 goals, the west London side are on the verge of a spot in the play-offs, and should secure that place with a win from one of their final two fixtures.

Boss, Slavisa Jokanovic, side will be one of the favourites for promotion should they make the top six, and a number of strong performances across the squad have ensured the Cottagers remain in contention this far into the campaign.

One player to have excelled is Scottish midfielder, Tom Cairney.

The former Blackburn man has been sensational this year, and was a surprise exclusion from the Sky Bet Championship Team of the Season.

The midfielder has struck 11 goals and assisted 10 more in the league, and his form has been a key factor in the success of his team this season.

Everything seems to go through the middle man, and his performances have unsurprisingly seen him linked with a move to the Premier League.

If the player does leave Craven Cottage this summer, then he will most certainly need to be replaced. The player to do so, may already be on loan in the division from neighbours, and FA Cup finalists, Chelsea.

Kasey Palmer has been honing his talents with Huddersfield this season, and the Terriers have launched a serious promotion bid with him in the side.

Palmer will unfortunately miss out on Huddersfield's playoff run after being ruled out for the rest of the season through injury, but boss David Wagner says the player is still in his plans for next year.

Fulham will have to convince the player his future lies much closer to home, and the youngster from Lewisham may prefer a return to London.

The 20 year old is drowning in potential, and with a Chelsea first team bow not in sight just yet, another season in the Championship could be the right move.

Palmer has scored 4 times this season, and will look to add further goals to his game next year.

His ability to get forward makes him an ideal candidate for replacing Cairney, and a loan move would be an extremely economic option for Fulham, who would acquire a phenomenal young talent.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-chelsea-player-that-would-be-the-perfect-tom-cairney-replacement-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Transfer gossip: Chelsea interested in Stockdale, Mirror claim

The Mirror have again linked David Stockdale with a possible move to Chelsea.

They were linked with Brighton's former Fulham goalkeeper during the January transfer window and the Mirror claim the Blues could move for him this summer.

Leeds United are said to be keen on the 31-year-old, whose Brighton contract expires at the end of the season.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/david-stockdale-brighton-and-hove-albion-chelsea-leeds-united-linked

WhiteJC

Leeds United: Jansson talks bluntly about play-offs

Leeds United are a side who sit precariously poised on both the brink of entry, and exit, from the Championship play-off race with two games left.

A win for Fulham at home to Brentford on Saturday and it is all over for Leeds United. But, should Fulham lose at Craven Cottage and Leeds gain at least a draw in their final home game versus Norwich will extend Leeds' play-off hopes into the final game of the season.

Another thing that has been finely balanced has been the talk surrounding United's talisman defender Pontus Jansson. Media reports have drifted through that sides such as Premier League club Southampton are interested in taking the 6ft 5in Swedish international away from the Whites.

The troubling aspect here was that Leeds and Torino had agreed a permanent deal for Jansson to join the Whites – his season loan essentially converting to a permanent three-year deal come the opening of the summer transfer window on July 1.

During today's Leeds United press conference, Pontus Jansson was more than brutally honest in his assessment of his position at Elland Road, and even more so with his appraisal of the play-off situation that Leeds United face.

Leeds United face Norwich at home in a 'must-win' situation, the three points being the Whites' best chance of extending their remarkable run this season that saw them climb from third bottom and into the play-offs, before a 1-0 defeat against Wolves dropped them from the top six.

Three points here, combined with a potential slip-up from nearest rivals Fulham could make Leeds' last game, away at Wigan – who could very well be relegated by then – even more relevant seeing as Fulham take on fellow prlay-off rivals Sheffield Wednesday in their last game.

http://the72.co.uk/79749/leeds-united-jansson-talks-bluntly-play-offs/

WhiteJC

"The fans want to go back to work with a smile on their face, talking about their team winning again"

Dean Smith looks ahead to Saturday's trip to Craven Cottage

Brentford Head Coach Dean Smith has no doubts that his team will be up for the challenge when they head to near neighbours Fulham on Saturday. The Bees have won five of their last seven games but now face a tough trip to the Play-Off chasing Cottagers for their final away game of the season. Despite being safety positioned in the mid-table pack, Dean has no doubts that the passion of a local derby with get his players fired up for the game.

"The magnitude of local derbies certainly makes it easier to get the players up for it," said Dean, speaking to Bees Player ahead of the match. "We just played QPR at home and the players were certainly up for that. We didn't play anywhere as near as they can but they were up for it and they will certainly be up for the Fulham game as well. We know what a good team they are and they deservedly beat us at home. We need to be at our best because they are pushing for the Play-Offs. They have done a fantastic job there and built a good team. The fans want to go back to work with a smile on their face, talking about their team winning again."

Slavisa Jokanovic's side are the Sky Bet Championship's top scorers this season, after netting 82 in 44 games, with The Bees only nine goals behind them. With two of the division's top five scorers going head to head, Dean is expecting an entertaining afternoon at Craven Cottage.

"We analyse the opposition in every game but a large part of our working week is on what we can do not on what the opposition can do," said Dean. "We are quite confident in what we can do and the players that we have got. We invest a lot of trust and confidence in the players to play how we can. Their front three last week of Floyd Ayite, Sone Aluko, and Ryan Sessegnon were very bright and had great rotation. It was the same with Tom Cairney, Steffan Johansen, and Kevin McDonald in midfield. They are very fluid as a team and similar to ourselves in many ways. I think I saw a stat that Fulham had been involved in the most goals in the Championship and we had been involved in the third most so you certainly get your monies worth in terms of entertainment. It makes for a really good game."

On the subject of team news for Saturday's game, Dean admitted that he was sweating on the fitness of a couple in the midfield but there was better news elsewhere.

"We still have a few little niggles so we will have to look at them over the next 24 hours or so to see if they are ready," said Dean. "Ryan Woods got a whack on the foot which is still a little bit swollen. Andreas Bjelland should be back in the squad but he hasn't played minutes since Ipswich Town so it would be a risk to put him in the starting XI. This game might come too quickly for Alan McCormack but Lasse Vibe has had his stitches out so they are all fighting fit."

A win on Saturday would see The Bees surpass their points total from last season with a game to spare. Dean's side currently sit ninth with two games remaining and The Bees' boss believes there has been definite progress from his side over the last 12 months.

"We have progressed as a team and a club from the moment that I have come in to where we are now," said Dean. "Whether we pass the points tally or not our football is better and our style of play is getting there. The players are looking better and competing at a higher level in this league. When I first came here the talk was about us not beating the top six but we have certainly shown we can do that. We are very competitive now and we need to keep pushing that on. We certainly need to add to our squad, we know that. While it is great that the B Team players are getting the experience, and it is something we want to do, we know that if we want to challenge for a top six squad we need to add more quality to that. We are certainly looking to do that."

Read more at http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/dean-smiths-fulham-vs-brentford-match-preview-3695239.aspx#XHeTtGAUpvkxt62j.99

WhiteJC

Opposition Camp

Brentford Head Coach Dean Smith expects an entertaining game when his side travel to Craven Cottage on Saturday.

"The magnitude of local derbies certainly makes it easier to get the players up for it. We just played QPR and the players were certainly up for that. We didn't play anywhere as near as they can but they were up for it.

"They will certainly be up for the Fulham game as well. We know what a good team they are and they deservedly beat us at home. We need to be at our best because they are pushing for the Play-Offs. They have done a fantastic job there and built a good team.

"Their front three last week of Floyd Ayité, Sone Aluko and Ryan Sessegnon were very bright and had great rotation. It was the same with Tom Cairney, Stefan Johansen and Kevin McDonald in midfield. They are very fluid as a team and similar to ourselves in many ways.

"We analyse the opposition in every game but a large part of our working week is on what we can do, not on what the opposition can do. We are confident in what we can do and the players we have. We invest a lot of trust and confidence in the players to play how we can.

"I saw a stat that Fulham had been involved in the most goals in the Championship, and we had been involved in the third most. You certainly get your monies worth in terms of entertainment. It makes for a really good game.

"We have progressed as a team and a club from the moment that I have come in to where we are now. The players are looking better and competing at a higher level in this league.

"We certainly need to add to our squad, we know that. If we want to challenge for a top six spot we need to add more quality to that."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/27/opposition-camp-brentford

WhiteJC

In His Own Words: Tim Ream and Fulham's Fight for Promotion
U.S. Men's National Team defender Tim Ream describes Fulham FC's ongoing push for promotion from the English League Championship to the Premier League

.S. Men's National Team center back Tim Ream is in the midst of an incredible run with Fulham FC, helping his team reach the precipice of the English Football League Championship's promotion playoffs. Appearing in all 23 of the club's matches since the New Year, the St. Louis, Mo., native has been a lynchpin in the back for the Cottagers, propelling them all the way up to sixth place in the standings thanks to a recent four-match win streak. Should the London side maintain its place following the final two matchdays, Fulham will advance to the Promotion Playoffs, where four teams will vie for a spot in the Premier League next season. Coming off a big 4-1 away win at Huddersfield Town on Saturday, Ream and Fulham can virtually clinch a playoff berth with a victory this Saturday at home against Brentford.

Below, Ream describes the evolution of the season at Craven Cottage and what it's like to be part of a promotion push.

When you're playing in the Championship, everyone has aspirations of being promoted to the Premier League. The Premier League is the end all, be all of soccer. It's the biggest, most widely televised league in the world and it's also the best. It's about your life, your job and your livelihood, and so being in the Premier League is tops. That's where you want to be.

Fulham is no different, and it's a place where until a few years ago, this proud club founded in 1879 had been playing.

Quite simply put, the League Championship is a grind. With a total of 24 teams, you play eight more games than in the Premiership. Generally that means starting in the middle of fall, you  play a schedule of Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday throughout the season. We start the first week in August and finish the first week in May, unless you make the playoffs in which case it could be all the way to the end of May. Now add in the two cup competitions – the FA Cup and League Cup - and you could be looking at 55 games. With all those matches, you're lucky if you have one full session a week with the whole team. Another reason to want to get promoted!

If I'm being honest, I don't think going into this season anybody here thought this would be a year we could push for the playoffs and promotion. Last season we finished 20th and 17th the year before that, so everyone was just looking to right the ship, finish mid-table and have a solid year with the goal of really going for promotion next year.

We started out very well before the first international break in September, when the National Teams went and played in World Cup Qualifying. After the first five games, we were in third or fourth position at that point and doing well. It's so early in the season and you can't get over-excited, but we were happy with that. Then we went through a difficult period through the next two months where we were drawing more games – not necessarily losing and playing bad - but drawing a lot of games that we should have won. When you're only getting one point instead of three, that starts to add up – or not, as it were.

Gradually things changed as the season went on, and around Christmas time we really found some consistency. In this league, you have to find consistency – if you're drawing a game here, losing a game there, you're not going to get anywhere and you're going to be in limbo. You're not going up or down – you're just there.

The team found consistency around that time, and so did I. Before Christmas, I was having a tough time, going in and out of the lineup. Since then, I've been heavily involved in most games, and the ones I wasn't made sense. In March, I missed a game after having traveled back from the U.S. National Team, which is one the realities of playing for your country. Normally during an international window, you play on Tuesday for the National Team – in this case in Panama – and then make the long trek to London. I didn't arrive back until Thursday, which is a tough turnaround and only came on at the very end of the game. A few weeks ago, I picked up a small ankle injury that also limited me to a substitute role against Ipswich Town.

Getting regular time has been so important, because in this league more than any, if you can get a run of games and multiple starts in a row where you're playing well and the team is playing well, the confidence level just flows throughout the entire team. If you're not confident it's so rough and tumble, it's so physically and mentally demanding that if you're not concentrated and assured in your ability and the guys around you, you're going to have some difficulties.

So, we've gone on a decent run since the new year and the results since the start of April have amped everything up. Four straight wins against Ipswich Town, Norwich City, Aston Villa and then this past week a huge 4-1 victory at Huddersfield Town, who are also in the playoff running, lifted us into the sixth place and the final playoff spot.

The results are fulfilling, but you know what? They've also been fun.

There are times that you can say, "it's a job, it's not fun anymore", but I can honestly say that this is the most fun I've had playing soccer since before I was a pro. It's fun because of the playing aspect, but the other part is the pressure – it's more than I've ever felt doing anything. I'm definitely feeding off it, and I think the team is as well.

Why the pressure? Beyond what happens on the field, what makes this so important is what it means to our supporters. They make the club tick. Without a doubt the players are important; we are the product on the field, but the fans are the most important. They're here every year.  No matter if I'm going to be here in two or three years or not, they will be. The club is in their blood. You're starting to get that in M.L.S., but over here soccer is life. Football is on TV, it's on the radio, it's in the papers, it's everywhere. That adds to it.

I personally feel that it's a circle. The fans feed off our results and the style of play, but at the same time we feed off them. People back home likely won't know a team like Huddersfield, but when we travel there and have more than 1,500 fans make a four-hour journey to support us at an away game that could have massive implications on the playoff places, that's huge. It gives guys confidence that these people are behind us – screaming, chanting, doing whatever it takes to get us going. It's our responsibility to give back to them and give them something to cheer and be happy about.

They add to the pressure, but it's at such a good place right now. The fans have come out all year for us. It's not just since we've been doing well. I think the last five or six weeks, there's been a noticeable difference because everyone is starting to realize how special this season could end up being. Guys have been running through brick walls to get to where we are and to put ourselves in a position to give these fans what they want and what they deserve.

Having said all that, the job isn't done. We haven't clinched our place yet. We play Brentford at home on Saturday, and with them being another London club this will be a derby game, which is another way of saying a local rivalry. On top of playoff implications there are bragging rights, and the last couple years they've done a lot better than we have in the league.

Right now we're in a position where a win against them doesn't fully clinch it for us. Leeds United are three points behind us in seventh place, but we have a huge advantage in goal difference on them, so if we do come away with three points, it's virtually a lock that we're in.

You can't let that creep into your head. If you start trying to look ahead, that's when you're going to slip up. This league is ruthless like that – you can't look past any single team, and if you do you're in trouble. Brentford are going to want to spoil the party. They're going to want to get one over on us and keep us from getting in the playoffs for another week. It's a derby, and at this point we're more worried about that than the playoffs. We want those bragging rights as do the fans. They really want them, and it just so happens that it coincides with getting into the playoffs.

If we do make the playoffs, one thing is certain: what you've done in the regular season means nothing. It's no longer about getting points. It's all about battling one game at a time. You're not looking over your shoulder, you're not looking at the standings. It's get through two games in the semifinal to get to Wembley Stadium. Once you're there, the stakes are at their highest because not only are you playing in front of 90,000 fans, not only do you have your supporters' hopes pinned on that match, but it's also the richest game in football as the winner stands to make at least £170 million for being promoted.

That is the ultimate goal.

#COYW

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/04/27/13/43/20170427-feat-mnt-tim-ream-fulham-english-championship-promotion-push-in-his-words

WhiteJC

The Last Two Games: Examining the Championship Playoffs
With two games left, there's not much point in projecting things, when we can examine all the possible scenarios.

With two games left to play, the playoff picture is clearer. Huddersfield Town are in. Reading need an epic collapse to miss out. Fulham and Sheffield can clinch this week, and poor Leeds needs to win out and get some help. Let's look at all the teams in detail.

Huddersfield Town
Huddersfield are going to make the playoffs. They sit on 81 points. Their last two games are at Birmingham City and hosting Cardiff City, so you won't expect them to finish on 81. Even if they do, Leeds can only get to 79 points. The first playoff spot has now been filled. If they finish as the top seed, I have no issues with Fulham having to face them in the first round.

Reading
We still don't understand how they do it. Fulham blew the doors off them twice. They barely have a positive goal differential. By expected goals, they are the third worst team in the league. Yet here they are, sitting on 79 points. They haven't locked things up yet though. If they somehow lose while hosting Wigan Athletic and travelling to Burton Albion, Leeds could catch them with 79 points and would pass them on goal difference. This would also require either Fulham to earn less than three points in their final two, and Sheffield Wednesday to finish with two losses. That's a lot of stuff to go wrong. It's probably why Experimental 3-6-1 gives them well over a 90% chance to make the playoffs. Just like Huddersfield, if Fulham face Reading in the first round, I'm confident in The Whites chances.

Sheffield Wednesday
If you've been impressed with Fulham's finish to the season so far, Sheffield Wednesday has been equally amazing. They're the only team better over their last 6 games and are equal to Fulham on points in the last 10. Sitting on 78 points they only need 1 point in the final two matches to make the playoffs. If they win or draw against Ipswich Town, they're in. Wednesday is the one team I don't want to see in the playoffs if Fulham make it. The advanced stats have had Fulham and Wednesday as the third and fourth best teams for quite some time. I'd much rather avoid them in the first round and hope for one of the other teams to knock them out.

Fulham
Fulham have put themselves in a good position. Three points out of the last two games gets them into the playoffs. Any loss by Leeds gets them into the playoffs. That last bit may be more important than it seems. We've already talked about Wednesday being just as hot as Fulham to finish the season. Brentford, it could be argued, has been even better. They have the best goal differential over both the last 6 and last 10 games. They've scored the most goals in 2017. Brentford will be a tough game, and that's before you take into account how much they would love to crush Fulham's dreams.

Leeds United
Leeds has put themselves in a precarious position. Not only do they have to win their last two games (hosting Norwich, and travelling to Wigan), they need help. One of the following would have to be combined with their two wins: Fulham not winning in the final two, Sheffield earning zero points in the final two, Reading earning zero points in the final two, or Sheffield only earning one point and Leeds passing them on goal difference. That's a lot of things that are out of their control. Winning the last two would be hard enough on its own. Especially since Leeds is 21st in the league over their last 6 games and 16th over their last 10. This is probably why Experimental 3-6-1 only gives them a 10% chance of making the playoffs.

This is an exciting week. After this week, we could know all four playoff teams, with only the final seeding to be decided on the final day. Or it could be pandemonium. Fulham, Wednesday, and Reading could lose with Leeds winning. This would set up an exciting (or heart wrenching) final day of the season with everything to play for for four different teams. I'm rooting for the first scenario, as waking up at 4AM with the possibility of having my dreams crushed does not sound like a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2017/4/27/15451062/the-last-two-games-examining-english-championship-playoffs

WhiteJC

Why Dean Smith believes Brentford and Fulham are similar sides
The Bees and the Whites are two of the best footballing sides in the division and, on their day, have outclassed some of the leading teams in the Championship

Dean Smith sees several similarities between his Brentford side and Saturday's opponents Fulham.

The Bees and the Whites are two of the best footballing sides in the division and, on their day, have outclassed some of the leading teams in the Championship.

The pair meet at Craven Cottage on Saturday and a win for Slavisa Jokanovic's side will secure a top six spot, by virtue of their vastly superior goal difference over Leeds, with a game to spare.

Smith knows Fulham have plenty of quality among their ranks but he also knows Brentford are a side that have similar players.

He said: "In every game we analyse the opposition but a large part of what we do in the week is about what we can do, not the opposition as we're confident in what we do with the players we've got and their abilities.

"We invest confidence and trust into them to play the way we can. You've got to be aware of their qualities.

"(Floyd) Ayite, (Sone) Aluko and (Ryan) Sessegnon were very bright at Huddersfield and rotated.

"It's the same with (Tom) Cairney, (Stefan) Johansen and (Kevin) McDonald in midfield. They're very fluid as a team and I think they're similar to ourselves in how they play."

Star man: Tom Cairney (Photo: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

Both sides score and concede goals in equal measure and the pair are two of the most entertaining teams to watch in the second tier.

Smith added: "I saw a stat that Fulham have been involved in the second most goals and we were the third.

"As you say they've had a really good season. Martin is out which is a loss for them. We weren't at our best against QPR and they probably weren't at Huddersfield. It makes for a very good game."

Fulham have wonderkid Ryan Sessegnon at left back, while the Bees also have highly rated Rico Henry in that spot and Smith believes the pair are both special talents.

He explained: "I saw Rico Henry at Walsall at 16-years-old. They're very similar in terms of attitude and maturity. I think they're special cases that don't come along very often."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dean-smith-believes-brentford-fulham-12955080

WhiteJC

Fun Day - Fulham v Brentford

Before our meeting with Brentford at Craven Cottage this Saturday, supporters are invited to Bishop's Park for our Fun Day activities!

There are plenty of free activities for everyone to get involved in, as well as an assortment of refreshments! Come on down from 11:45am to take part.
Tickets for Fulham v Brentford are now extremely limited. To avoid disappointment secure your seat online today at fulhamfc.com/tickets.

Test your skills on the adidas Obstacle course!

Challenge your friends and family on the adidas obstacle course. Dribble around the cones and hit the targets on your route around - can you beat the clock?
Show off your skills

There will be a number of small-sided football matches taking place inside our inflatable pitch from 11:45am. Young supporters are invited to experience an action-packed match where they can showcase their new skills in front of fans heading to the big game. With no pre-booking required, simply turn up from 11:45am and introduce yourselves to our enthusiastic and fully-qualified Foundation coaches.
Take on the Target Cage and win Fulham prizes

Why not test your accuracy with the Foundation Target Cage and have a chance of winning a fantastic Fulham prize? One lucky supporter who scores the highest number of points from three shots will win a money-can't-buy Fulham prize. Make sure you get down early to try your luck.
Visit the Fulham FC Gazebo for Face Painting and Balloon Modelling

Show your support for the Whites by getting your face painted in Fulham colours before the match. Come on down and visit our Fulham gazebo in Bishop's Park before the game!

Our talented balloon modeller will also be on site to make you anything you like! A mini Billy the Badger, a hat in Fulham colours - or test him out with an idea of your own!
Step inside the Turtle Tumbler

The Turtle Tumbler is the perfect activity for our younger Fulham fans. Bounce around inside the Turtle Tumbler with your friends before the match, while Billy the Badger will also be around to meet and greet fans and pose for photographs.
Bungee Run

Strap in to the bungee run and test your running power against your mates. See who's the first to reach the end of the inflatable.
Giveaways Collection Point

Come and pick up a foam finger and show your support for the Whites - only a limited number are available (1 per person) and will be distributed from 11:45am-1.45pm.
Visit the Jags trailer

Head over to the Jacksonville Jaguars trailer to test your arm with the inflatable Quarterback Target Cage, or have a go on their Xbox. They'll also have Jags giveaways, so keep your eyes peeled.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/26/fun-day-in-bishops-park

WhiteJC

Maxime Colin calls on Bees to play with freedom against Fulham

"We know that they want to make it to the Play-Offs but we won't let them have an easy game"

Brentford defender Maxime Colin is relishing the chance to test himself against the most potent attack in the Sky Bet Championship as The Bees head to Craven Cottage on Saturday. This weekend's opponents Fulham are the second tier's top scorers this campaign and know that a win could be enough to secure their spot in the Play-Offs. Having already come out victorious in one local derby this week, Maxime believes The Bees are full of confidence and know exactly what a second derby success in seven days would mean for the fans.

Speaking to Bees Player ahead of the match, Maxime said: "We were happy to win the derby at home against QPR so the team is full of confidence. Everyone wants to play in this game. It is a derby and they have played well this season. We aren't playing for relegation or promotion so we can go there free and we want to do well for the fans. We know what this game represents for them. We will go there with a clear mind and try our hardest to play well and win the game. We know that they want to make it to the Play-Offs but we won't let them have an easy game. They have a lot of attacking players and it is not for nothing that they are in the top six right now. We know it will be a tough game against a good team. We will have to be strong and it is really exciting to measure ourselves against a team that scores a lot of goals."

One of the keys to the match on Saturday could well be The Bees Spanish winger Jota who has been in incredible form since returning from a loan spell with Eibar in January. The 25-year-old has netted 12 goals in 19 games since returning and Maxime admits it has been a pleasure to play behind him in the second-half of this season.

"He is difficult because he plays on the right-side with his left-foot so he can always protect the ball with his body," explained Maxime. "Since he has come back he has brought a lot more balance to the team. He has contributed a lot of goals and assists now but the fact that he plays with his left means he leaves a lot of space and creates a lot of movement. Even without his goals he would have been an advantage for us. With Sergi Canos and Florian Jozefzoon he gives us a lot of balance. It is a pleasure to play with him."

The Bees have taken 16 points from a possible 21 in recent weeks and are just two points shy of last season's point tally with two games to play. Maxime believes that there has been real progression at Griffin Park this season but added he is still frustrated the team are not closer to the top six.

"I think that we have improved a lot as a team," said Maxime. "We had a few changes during the summer and that always takes time to adapt. We are finishing really well and we started the season really well but we didn't have the best winter. We are happy because when we look behind us there are a lot of big teams like Nottingham Forest and Birmingham City fighting against relegation. On the other hand we could have done better as we lost against Rotherham United, Blackburn Rovers, and Wigan Athletic. There were a lot of games we shouldn't have lost. With those few extra points we could have been in the Play-Offs and this game against Fulham could have been a battle for the top six."

Read more at http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/maxime-colin-on-brentford-vs-fulham-in-sky-bet-championship-3695519.aspx#UeCptRwkPtA8RIzy.99

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney Starts – Strongest 4-3-3 Fulham Line-Up To Face Brentford

Predicted Fulham Lineup To Face Brentford

Fulham are piling the pressure in the closing weeks of the Championship season, and have now firmly put themselves in pole position ahead of Leeds for a play-off place.

Their relative success shouldn't be a surprise really; Fulham have the best goal difference in this division after Brighton and Newcastle United. Although Leeds also have a home game this weekend, it's a tough one against Norwich and Fulham will know that another competent attacking display could end matters here against neighbours Brentford.

Both sides will be happy to attack and so this could be a very entertaining game, though if the Bees don't manage to keep it tight they could well be on the end of a thrashing here from a side which has scored 2 or more goals in 6 of their last 8 games.

4-3-3 may be the way to go again, just as in their impressive 4-1 win at Huddersfield last time:

Probable Fulham XI:
Formation: 4-3-3

GK – Marcus Bettinelli

Having replaced Button for the last couple of games between the sticks, the youth team product is getting his chance to shine and will be dreaming of the Premier League.
RB – Denis Odoi

Replaced Fredericks at half time at the John Smith's Stadium and is likely to start here.
CB – Tomas Kalas

The young Czech will need to be on his guard in what could be an open game. Staying solid here alongside Ream could be the ingredient which could send Fulham into the playoffs.
CB – Tim Ream

The experienced American defender knows what is expected and will not let anyone down. He should start at central defence.
LB – Scott Malone

One of the players of the season; the left-back will no doubt provide great support to Sessegnon down the left in an area which could decide the game.
CM – Tom Cairney

Whether he stays here next season or not, he remains one of Fulham's most potent threats and will start again.
CM – Kevin McDonald

The 28-year-old is having a good first season here and will need to remain solid once more. Should start alongside Cairney
CM – Stefan Johansen

Still only 26, the former Celtic man has managed 11 league goals this season. He will provide a major threat on the left of the central midfield for Fulham, allied with Malone and Sessegnon.
RW – Floyd Ayite

Assuming Aluko takes up a central role, Ayite can attack from the right and will be looking for his 10th league goal of the season.
LW – Ryan Sessegnon

Still only 16, the full-back turned winger is dangerous and will either damage Brentford or provide the sort of distraction which allows Malone, Johansen, and Aluko to exploit Brentford.
ST – Sone Aluko

The former Rangers attacker will look to get at the Bees defence with his pace. Part of a very mobile front 3.

http://soccersouls.com/2017/04/28/tom-cairney-starts-strongest-4-3-3-fulham-line-up-to-face-brentford/

WhiteJC

Leeds United: Defiant Jansson throws down gauntlet to Whites' play-off rivals

Pontus Jansson stuck his neck out last night by insisting Leeds United would make the play-offs and claiming clubs above them "were going to start to shake" on a potentially decisive weekend.

The centre-back said he was "200 per cent" confident of finishing in the Championship's top six despite overwhelming odds against a Leeds squad whose chance of promotion is threatening to slip away.

United, who lie seventh in the table with two games to play, are attempting to overturn a three-point gap to Fulham and will kick-off against Norwich City at Elland Road tomorrow knowing defeat will rule them out of contention for the play-offs. Leeds were 11 points clear of Fulham in the first week of March, albeit at a time when the West London club held games in hand, but a damaging run since last month's international break leaves Garry Monk's side dependent on results elsewhere.

Fulham host Brentford tomorrow while Sheffield Wednesday, who are five points better off than Leeds, travel to Ipswich Town. Reading, the only other top-six side who United can catch, play Wigan at the Madejski Stadium. But Jansson attempted to shift the pressure away from Leeds, saying: "I'm not sitting here and talking s***. I really believe that we're going to be in the play-offs and that other teams are going to start to shake a bit. "I'm 200 per cent (confident). I can't say I feel something else. The other teams are going to have tough games and there's a chance that they'll have zero points after these games.

"I really believe it. We're going to be promoted and we're going to the play-offs. That's the thought in my mind right now. We're going to be in the play-offs." Leeds slipped out of the top six over the Easter weekend and lost their initiative completely after a 2-1 defeat at Burton Albion last Saturday. A favourable weekend could nonetheless throw the play-off positions open again with Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday due to meet at Hillsborough on the last day of the season. "Everything is possible," Jansson said. "We've put ourselves in a difficult position, a position that we didn't want to be in because we wanted to be in the play-offs already, but it's time for us to hunt the other teams.

"Sheffield and Fulham have two tough games and they have to win. We know that we are strong at Elland Road and I think we can take the three points in that game and then we take care of Wigan (on the final day)." Monk, who will be without injured captain Liam Bridcutt again, is also crossing fingers that Leeds can extend the fight beyond the clash with Norwich. "The chance is slimmer than it was before but our duty is to win this game and take it to the last game," the club's head coach said. "This squad deserve that." Jansson, meanwhile, gave Leeds a welcome shot in the arm by appearing to rule out suggestions that he might leave Elland Road this summer. The on-loan Torino centre-back is due to join United permanently when his season-long deal from Italy expires at the end of June and Leeds have already finalised a fee with Torino. A three-year contract with Jansson was agreed in January.

The defender's agent, Martin Dahlin, was quoted in the Swedish press last week as saying that Jansson was intent on playing in the Premier League next season and Southampton have been linked with him regularly since the turn of the year. But Jansson said: "My future is in Leeds, of course. My contract starts in July and that's the only thing I can say. "You can see how happy I am to play here and every time I go out to play a game for Leeds I always give more than 100 per cent. No-one can say something else. I'm really proud to be here and play for Leeds. "There's no reason for me to speculate about other clubs and I haven't done that either. There was an article in a Swedish newspaper where my agent said something but I don't put any focus on it. This is not the first time in my career that there has been speculation about me. I'm a person that doesn't care so much about that type of thing."

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-defiant-jansson-throws-down-gauntlet-to-whites-play-off-rivals-1-8516540

WhiteJC

Hearts boss Ian Cathro is adamant Aaron Hughes' injury issues will have no bearing on bid to sign ex-Newcastle and Fulham star to new deal

HEARTS head coach Ian Cathro is adamant Aaron Hughes' continued injury woes will not alter his plan to offer the veteran defender a new deal.

The 37-year-old enjoyed a fine start to his Tynecastle career after joining the club in January, making eight appearances and cutting a composed figure in the centre of defence before succumbing to a calf complaint.

Hughes has not played since the Jambos' Scottish Cup exit to Hibs in February, despite the knock initially being expected to keep the player out for a matter of weeks. Although his condition has improved, he will not face Partick Thistle on Saturday.

However, Cathro has no fears about Hughes' long-term fitness and still intends to have the Northern Ireland international in Edinburgh next season.

"We are looking into keeping him for next season and the injury doesn't have any bearing on that," confirmed Cathro. "It's not an injury that's going to cause a concern long term. It's just about getting to the point where it's fully recovered and once it's dealt with properly there's no threat of it causing him any issues in the longer term.

"It's been a frustrating one, for Aaron and for us. It's just one of those injuries where you get a couple of setbacks, not necessarily from anything he is doing or because of his body – it's just in a bit of an awkward place.

"Obviously there's not a long time left but we are pretty much certain we'll have him back in the team before the end of the season. We just need to make sure that we get it right.

"He is really important to the game plan and what we've been trying to do here. The player he is and the man he is, he transmits a comfort to the players. He's one of the guys who came here to be a bit of a message carrier for me. He was a very important signing – and he will be because we'll have him back soon.

Cathro, who confirmed that Prince Buaben and Lennard Sowah have returned to full fitness this week, acknowledges that Hughes' quality and calming influence has been sorely missed.

And he reckons the pedigree of the former Fulham, Newcastle and Aston Villa ace remains – and will continue to be – pivotal within the squad.

"I've got no doubt at all that having Aaron in the team helps," continued Cathro. "It helps the team and it helps players around him. We miss his influence but these are things that happen over the course of a season.

"He's one of the older players that we have and it's important that we have those characters – and maybe bring some more to make sure that we have the right strength, experience and leadership for the group.

"People look to him because they know that he's lived through all sorts of experiences that some of our younger players go to bed and have dreams about!

"He has a real influence off the pitch but, first of all, he's an important player and that's why I'm looking forward to getting him back in the team."

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/04/27/hearts-boss-ian-cathro-adamant-aaron-hughes-injury-issues-will-no-bearing-bid-sign-ex-newcastle-fulham-star-new-deal/

WhiteJC

Jurgen Klopp wants this star: Liverpool are confident they'll get him

LIVERPOOL reportedly believe they're on course to sign Ryan Sessegnon this summer.

The Fulham star has enjoyed a staggering breakout season at Craven Cottage.

And The Sun say Jurgen Klopp wants to beat Everton and Tottenham to his signature.

The Liverpool boss has often played James Milner at left-back this term.

But he's keen to use a specialist in that role and Sessegnon fits the bill.

Fulham are likely to demand up to £10m for the defender, who'll sign pro terms next month.

Liverpool could reduce their initial outlay by agreeing a structured, performance-based deal though.

Sessegnon will be out to impress once again when Fulham face Brentford on Saturday.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/609565/Jurgen-Klopp-Liverpool-Transfer-Fulham-Ryan-Sessegnon-Gossip-Rumours-Latest-LFC-News

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon comments on Ben Woodburn's Instagram post - and gets Liverpool fans very excited
The 16-year-old left-back attracted plenty of attention from Reds fans after he praised Woodbury

Liverpool fans wasted no time asking Ryan Sessegnon to move to Anfield after the Fulham youngster commented on Ben Woodburn's Instagram post.

The 17-year-old Woodburn posted a picture of himself celebrating a goal for the Under-23s on to his Instagram page on Wednesday evening, which saw Reds target Sessegnon reply.

"Baller" was the Fulham teenager's succinct word of praise for his pal.

And inevitably, Sessegnon, who is a summer target for the Reds , was inundated with requests from supporters asking him to join Jurgen Klopp's side when the transfer window opens.

owenkelly8: "@ryansess30 join him at Liverpool".

martyroberts777: "@ben.woodburn scenes in 2018 seeing the fella @ryansess30 whipping worldies in at anfield".

jamesarshid: "@ryansess30 Anfield is waiting for ya mate".

jasonbeckwith93: "@ryansess30 come join him at lfc, future is bright lad."

touil_phil: "@ryansess30 that LB place got your name all over it."

studgelallanacoufirmanehendogi: "@ryansess30 come to liverpool lad".

The Reds have regularly scouted the gifted teenager this term and Klopp is keen to fend off competition from a host of Premier League clubs to secure his signature.

The youngster has proved a huge hit in the Championship since making his senior debut for the Cottagers in August.

The left-back has scored seven goals in 28 appearances during an impressive breakthrough campaign for the London side.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-sessegnon-comments-ben-woodburns-12955272