watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Brentford Support

Started by Wearethewhites, April 30, 2017, 12:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

Absolutely atrocious, for a Club that's just around the corner, and apparently our bitter rival.

2nd time now they've given it the biggen about coming to the Cottage and drowning us out, only to fail. I know ours isn't great at times, and the acoustics doesn't help, but it was like looking at 4,000 statues in the Putney end.

They talked all last week about coming down on boats, in big numbers, but unless I was to busy getting drunk somewhere, can't say I noticed any of them.

Wasn't really a gate crashing party was it, more like a league game against Bolton or Wigan.

bill taylors apprentice

Agree!

A poor turn out.
Or was that the best they could offer?

Loved it when even the neutral section joined in with the "Who are ya"! chant!

AlexW132

Found it ironic that they we're singing 'We'll sing on our own!'

JoelH5

Their cute little cheer with the draw at the end haha. Only to realise 10 seconds later they'd failed in stopping us reach the playoffs.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

filham

Yes, we have seen a lot better support from many fans who have travelled a greater distance and whose teams have not been as good as Brentford.

HillingdonFFC

There were getting on for 4000 of them, they sold 3200 & had a few ,although not as many as predicted in the neutral so hardly call that atrocious. When have we taken 4000 to an away game?Probably might've done for next week I suppose. We never even used to the full allocation at places like West Ham & Spurs.
Having said all that, despite what they think they were pretty subdued. On their messageboard they're giving it large about how loud they were? Nah sorry chaps you weren't.

southwest6

still decent for a tinpot club I suppose

SP

I could hear them ok from the middle of the Riverside.  I think it's incredible a team with a home support of around 7000 can bring 4000 to the Cottage. Friends & family too I guess.

AlexW132

I don't see how bringing 4000 is an achievement. Seriously, it's a 30 minute train journey.

Samjack

Brentford's support is predominantly middle aged, middle class men in the 40+ age group from places like Chiswick and Kew.  They know their football but aren't likely to make much noise. They just have a few teenagers who pretend to be something they're not and mouth off on social media. In general they are small, quiet support ( I never mind them as a fan base though). I couldn't believe it when they won 4-1 at our gaffe a few years ago... they just had a cheer for the goals, a clap at the end and went home. Any other group of fans would have given it large all over the place. As a result I can never muster any hatred for them.

SP

Quote from: AlexW132 on April 30, 2017, 04:45:02 PM
I don't see how bringing 4000 is an achievement. Seriously, it's a 30 minute train journey.

In terms of %?

AlexW132

Quote from: SP on April 30, 2017, 05:26:23 PM
Quote from: AlexW132 on April 30, 2017, 04:45:02 PM

In terms of %?
% of what, their home support?

Carborundum

The only reason we don't have 4,000 at Griffin Park is that it would equate to nearly two sides of the pitch.

I like Brentford, first went there 25 years ago.  I miss grounds like that, it's a complete throwback.  Their fans are quite frankly more similar than different to ours.  They are supporting a local team, not in it for glory and that's all fine by me.  Meanwhile, London based workmates are wishing Fulham all the best in the playoffs because it means a pleasant away trip to follow the top premier league team they have supported ever since dad got a TV set.  They are fine too, but the Brentford fans are the ones freezing their backsides off week in week out and that's worthy of respect.

Staggering number of police horses yesterday, not entirely sure why.

Fulham76

Maybe acoustics again but was also surprised how quiet they were. Found it hard to believe 3,500-4,000 people could make so little noise.

Twig

First of all Brentford is not "our bitter rival", never have been and never likely to be. 

In addition, Brentford has a modest fan base so if they did bring 4,000 that's quite an achievement so let's give credit where it's due. 

In terms of noise, I agree with those who have pointed out that, a bit like Fulham, they have a predominantly middle class, middle aged support and so are hardly likely to crank up the volume to eleven.

They are a decent little club with generally decent fans supporting a real football club and I remember years ago when those fans bailed them out of near bankruptcy.  We should rise above the occasional wind up from some young idiot.  There are far worse clubs than Brentford to dislike.

SP

Quote from: Twig on April 30, 2017, 06:07:43 PM
First of all Brentford is not "our bitter rival", never have been and never likely to be. 

In addition, Brentford has a modest fan base so if they did bring 4,000 that's quite an achievement so let's give credit where it's due. 

In terms of noise, I agree with those who have pointed out that, a bit like Fulham, they have a predominantly middle class, middle aged support and so are hardly likely to crank up the volume to eleven.

They are a decent little club with generally decent fans supporting a real football club and I remember years ago when those fans bailed them out of near bankruptcy.  We should rise above the occasional wind up from some young idiot.  There are far worse clubs than Brentford to dislike.

Agree.  When asked In the past who I'd support if Fulham didn't exist, I think I'd end up at one of the smaller clubs rather than taking the easy option of one of the big boys.

PaulUMD

Based on the crowd I saw walking to and fro the Tube stop, it was mainly older chaps and families.  Not surprised it was a wild, singing bunch during the game outside of their goal. 

Andy S

I pretty much agree with the comments above. I quite like Brentford and even sat in with their fans a few years ago when we were promoted. Although I kept quiet when the first goal went in I believe we hit 4 that day and couldn't keep quiet in the end but there was no trouble. Well done to them yesterday as well. They made a game of it

Zendra

I would be surprised if it was as many as  4,000. Seemed to me it wasn't as many as Brum brought. A good game yesterday two footballing sides I thought . Should have finished about 5 -3 to us

Neil D

Decent team and maybe worth an outside punt next season for promotion.  I don't do hating London clubs - plenty up north for that.