Main Menu

The Official FOF Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2017-18

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 06, 2017, 11:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Whatsisname

Quote from: fulhamben on July 24, 2017, 09:18:41 AM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on July 24, 2017, 09:14:58 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on July 24, 2017, 09:14:01 AM
I didn't think we were signing old players like Jerome anymore, has desperation set in early this season

Clearly that 'under 28s only thing' was rubbish, as most people suspected.
shame, it was a good policy imo. It's worked well for arsenal over the years, albeit with a slightly higher age limit

I think Arsenal's policy was shorter contracts for players over 30, which is very different. I personally think you need a few older heads in the squad anyway. Bit of a cliche but they've got more experience of dealing with pressure and that can be an invaluable thing to teach the younger players in the squad. He may not have played many minutes last season but I think Parker's presence was a big positive for us and something we could miss.

fulhamben

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on July 24, 2017, 09:21:26 AM
Jerome would do a job but still would need another striker, our midfield creates chances and last season we did not have a forward of note to get in the 6 yard box to finish.
after needing a striker for ages, and if you look at the ones we have lost without replacement, then I don't want some one who can do a job. I want someone to get excited by. Just once, when was the last time that we signed somone who we were genuinely excited about, as I can't remember
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

fulhamben

Quote from: Captain Whatsisname on July 24, 2017, 09:23:56 AM
I didn't think we were signing old players like Jerome anymore, has desperation set in early this season

shame, it was a good policy imo. It's worked well for arsenal over the years, albeit with a slightly higher age limit

I think Arsenal's policy was shorter contracts for players over 30, which is very different. I personally think you need a few older heads in the squad anyway. Bit of a cliche but they've got more experience of dealing with pressure and that can be an invaluable thing to teach the younger players in the squad. He may not have played many minutes last season but I think Parker's presence was a big positive for us and something we could miss.
don't think I'll miss the relegation battles that Parker bought to this team.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

westcliff white

Arsenal, Utd etc have a rule about being 30, they dont nesvcersarily not sign them, they only offer one year (rolling) contracts, that is a very good move for those clubs that can afford to do that. Not many outside the premier league have the luxury of being able to do so.
Every day is a Fulham day

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: fulhamben on July 24, 2017, 09:24:11 AM
Jerome would do a job but still would need another striker, our midfield creates chances and last season we did not have a forward of note to get in the 6 yard box to finish.
after needing a striker for ages, and if you look at the ones we have lost without replacement, then I don't want some one who can do a job. I want someone to get excited by. Just once, when was the last time that we signed somone who we were genuinely excited about, as I can't remember

Agree with that,but its apparently Slava who wants him so I'll go along with that if he thinks Jerome can do a job.

Deuce

Pretty sure that was (also) Man Uniteds policy, which caused some issues with both Scholes and Giggs if I recall correctly

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Desperation indeed. I doubt Joka would have thought after the last kick last season , 'right lets go all out to get the dread-locked Carlton Cole'.
Although with 16 in the league last season, he could well better that with the chances we create.
Still not what most of us were expecting, surely ? .

Roberty

Probably Ross McC - it was a false dawn though
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Captain Whatsisname

Quote from: Deuce on July 24, 2017, 09:28:24 AM

Pretty sure that was (also) Man Uniteds policy, which caused some issues with both Scholes and Giggs if I recall correctly

Oh I'm not suggesting it's flawless by any stretch, more that I think you need a good mix but that's just my opinion.

With regards to Jerome I don't see any issue with bringing him in. Scored something like 16 last season I think? Wouldn't be my first choice but we're less than 2 weeks away from kick off so if he's a player Slav wants then I'm on board  049:gif

Twig

How on earth did we get from page 200 to 216 without anything to talk about?

westcliff white

Quote from: Deuce on July 24, 2017, 09:28:24 AM

they were ok with it once they got to 32/33 it was when they turned 30 they thought it was harsh, but they both got 2 year deals when they were 30 from utd, so maybe they so for those over 30 and not actually 30
Every day is a Fulham day

Mince n Tatties

This age thing makes me laugh,a certain Christian Ronaldo is 32...lol

Captain Whatsisname

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 24, 2017, 09:39:38 AM
This age thing makes me laugh,a certain Christian Rinaldo is 32...lol

Exactly. If it is true then it seems a little bit limiting.

Marcel_Gecov

Depends on whether he's it and we are going into the season with Jerome, Woodrow, Ayite, Kebano etc or whether there is a surprise around the corner and we end up with Jerome, Woodrow and perhaps a Enrich style striker. There's alot of goals in that.

The issue with Jerome is that he's never been successful in premier league except for one season at Birmingham. It's creating a potential problem for next year should we get promoted, but a nice problem to have.

Captain Whatsisname

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on July 24, 2017, 09:43:08 AM

Depends on whether he's it and we are going into the season with Jerome, Woodrow, Ayite, Kebano etc or whether there is a surprise around the corner and we end up with Jerome, Woodrow and perhaps a Enrich style striker. There's alot of goals in that.

The issue with Jerome is that he's never been successful in premier league except for one season at Birmingham. It's creating a potential problem for next year should we get promoted, but a nice problem to have.

The key thing for me here is "a nice problem to have". Don't want to be too short sighted but let's worry about who would work well in the Premier League when we get there. Right now we gotta build on 6th place from last year and if a striker who has scored well at this level can fit in to how we play and - seemingly unlike Rolan - WANTS to be here then it's a good thing for this season as far as I'm concerned.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Captain Whatsisname on July 24, 2017, 09:45:36 AM

The key thing for me here is "a nice problem to have". Don't want to be too short sighted but let's worry about who would work well in the Premier League when we get there. Right now we gotta build on 6th place from last year and if a striker who has scored well at this level can fit in to how we play and - seemingly unlike Rolan - WANTS to be here then it's a good thing for this season as far as I'm concerned.

Correct.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 24, 2017, 09:47:16 AM

Correct.

So it's agreed, let's get him!

if only it was that easy  :012:

river phoenix

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on July 24, 2017, 09:43:08 AMThe issue with Jerome is that he's never been successful in premier league except for one season at Birmingham. It's creating a potential problem for next year should we get promoted, but a nice problem to have.

If we got the promotion last season we would already sign Mounie and Rolan, so if we get to the Premiership we can easily upgrade. Also, there wouldn`t be a problem selling Jerome season after next if that`s the case given that Daryl Murphy (3 years older than Jerome) went for 2.5m.

I would be pleased with Jerome as long as we sign another striker.

Captain Whatsisname

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on July 24, 2017, 09:51:21 AM

Correct.

So it's agreed, let's get him!

if only it was that easy  :012:

If only! Wonder how long this one will drag out

BedsFFC

I also think he's better than many think he is, on here. He's a "handful" and scores goals. He will certainly add a much needed dimension.

Correct.