The Official FOF Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2017-18

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 06, 2017, 11:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: AlexW132 on May 21, 2017, 12:53:27 PM
Quote from: Statto on May 21, 2017, 12:51:48 PM
Quote from: AlexW132 on May 21, 2017, 12:46:00 PM
Quote from: Statto on May 21, 2017, 12:43:56 PM
Sorry but I'm with Mince on this one. Maybe league one is an exaggeration but once you get outside the top 6 or so clubs in la liga, look at attendances, spending etc. and it's all comparable to the championship, not the premiership. People saying Mince is having a wind-up, imagine a player scoring 50-60 goals in the premier league like they do in la liga and then tell me who's having a wind-up. In fact i thought it was pretty settled knowledge that whilst la liga maybe boasts the two best teams in the world, the overall standard across all 20 teams is much much higher in the premiership.

To be honest if Mince is wrong, it might not be the end of the world. Didn't we sign the highest scoring midfielder in la liga last year? so if la liga is better then i assume dele alli and eden hazard are perfectly reasonable targets for us this summer.
Sanchez?
jozabed. 10 goals in 27 games in the la liga 15/16, can't get in our team 16/17.
sanchez is a forward. and wasn't playing in la liga.
I thought you were asking whether there are any players signed from La Liga who are good in England, of which there are loads. As for Jozabed, still think he should have had more of a chance but I can understand homesickness.

And that's my argument in a nutshell Alex,what use is a player to you if he is going to be homesick after 10 mins.

@jolslover

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 21, 2017, 02:02:29 PM
Quote from: @jolslover on May 21, 2017, 12:06:40 PM
Quote from: AlexW132 on May 21, 2017, 11:32:31 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 21, 2017, 11:31:31 AM
7 goals,we've got defenders and midfielders scored that amount..Nah.
7 goals playing for a crap side in one of the best leagues in the world. £1.5m? bargain.

+1 +1

5 of his 7 goals against Las Palma's,Granada and Betis
All in bottom 6.
Forest Green Rovers would stuff Granada.

Assume the last part is a joke.
Jozabed is an outlier in terms of homesickness. I remember reading that he came here without any family and speaking no English.
Look at our other foreign imports over the years and I cant remember any that suffered from homesickness.

STH H3

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on May 21, 2017, 12:43:56 PM
Sorry but I'm with Mince on this one. Maybe league one is an exaggeration but once you get outside the top 6 or so clubs in la liga, look at attendances, spending etc. and it's all comparable to the championship, not the premiership. People saying Mince is having a wind-up, imagine a player scoring 50-60 goals in the premier league like they do in la liga and then tell me who's having a wind-up. In fact i thought it was pretty settled knowledge that whilst la liga maybe boasts the two best teams in the world, the overall standard across all 20 teams is much much higher in the premiership.

To be honest if Mince is wrong, it might not be the end of the world. Didn't we sign the highest scoring midfielder in la liga last year? so if la liga is better then i assume dele alli and eden hazard are perfectly reasonable targets for us this summer.

Except this season the top scorer in La Liga got 35 goals not 50-60. If messi was in the prem then he would score that many aswell. The best player in the world.
The fact is you can buy the same quality player abroad for half the price as once they are 'proven' in English football their value doubles.
I am not against recruiting British but we need to find a good balance. To dismiss all players from La Liga because we signed one that didn't work out is silly. (He still played in the Europa league semi-final in which the commentators said he changed the game).
STH H3

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on May 21, 2017, 03:06:49 PM
Quote from: @jolslover on May 21, 2017, 02:39:50 PM
Except this season the top scorer in La Liga got 35 goals not 50-60. If messi was in the prem then he would score that many aswell.

So even in a bad season he's got 10 more than the top scorer in the Premier League.

As for the normal 50-60 goal seasons, never gonna happen in the premier league. For a direct comparison just look at Ronaldo - just as good as Messi, prolific in the premier league yes but easily scored 50% more in la liga. Why? Because in the premier league your "easy" games are against the likes of West Ham and other teams full of £10m, £20m players whereas in la liga you are guaranteed 5-10 games per season where you win 7-0 or 8-0 against tinpot clubs like Osasuna who, if they were in England, would struggle just to survive in the championship.

To be clear I'm not arguing about foreign transfers, for me that's another issue, i'l just picking up on the point that the overall standard in la liga is better than the premier league

Except Real only won 4 games by more than 3 goals this season. If Real Madrid and Barcelona were in the prem they would beat teams like Stoke and Burnley by these margins aswell.
It's a myth that the premier league is off better quality. More money is spent and it's more competitive. But that doesn't mean the quality is better. If Barcelona, Atletico and Real Madrid were in the premier league then the premier league would be a three horse race every year aswell.
STH H3

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on May 21, 2017, 03:16:03 PM
Quote from: @jolslover on May 21, 2017, 03:10:31 PM
Except this season the top scorer in La Liga got 35 goals not 50-60. If messi was in the prem then he would score that many aswell.

So even in a bad season he's got 10 more than the top scorer in the Premier League.

As for the normal 50-60 goal seasons, never gonna happen in the premier league. For a direct comparison just look at Ronaldo - just as good as Messi, prolific in the premier league yes but easily scored 50% more in la liga. Why? Because in the premier league your "easy" games are against the likes of West Ham and other teams full of £10m, £20m players whereas in la liga you are guaranteed 5-10 games per season where you win 7-0 or 8-0 against tinpot clubs like Osasuna who, if they were in England, would struggle just to survive in the championship.

To be clear I'm not arguing about foreign transfers, for me that's another issue, i'l just picking up on the point that the overall standard in la liga is better than the premier league

Except Real only won 4 games by more than 3 goals this season. If Real Madrid and Barcelona were in the prem they would beat teams like Stoke and Burnley by these margins aswell.

sorry but if you're going to compare numbers you're on a hiding to nothing

number of league games where they scored 5 or more goals this year

chelsea ... 1
spurs .. 2

barcelona ... 8
real madrid ... 4

Agree to disagree, Gone off on a bit of a tangent as its a fulham based forum!
STH H3

AlexW132

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 21, 2017, 01:43:55 PM
Not against foreign imports as long as signed from here with experience.. Compare these as it puts your argument of focusing overseas to bed Jolslover.

Cairney....Blackburn
Macdonald....Wolves
Aluko ....Hull
Malone....Cardiff
Johansen...Celtic
All of these have featured every game  and been the backbone of the side.
Now players imported in last year

Jozabed
Kebano
Cyriac
Ayite
Siggardson
Madl
Pestos

Apart from Floyd,how much have the others really contributed.
Kebano has been quality, Odoi has put in a shift, and I'd count Johansen as a foreign import. And it's not like the signings from England have been flawless, Button, Martin. I get what you're trying to say, Championship experience, but it's wrong to assume that just because Jozabed failed to adapt here this Bosnian fella wouldn't.

AlexW132

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 21, 2017, 01:49:45 PM
Quote from: AlexW132 on May 21, 2017, 11:53:18 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 21, 2017, 11:36:02 AM
7 goals playing for a crap side in one of the best leagues in the world. £1.5m? bargain.

Bargain?
What you mean like Cyriac and Jozabed.
Spain is a rubbish league,after top 6 they about as good as our league 1.
You having a laugh? You're suggesting the likes of Real Sociedad, Valencia, Espanyol, Celta Vigo (Europa League semi finalists), Real Betis, Malaga and Deportivo are League One standard? Give me a break

They are just names that's all,doesn't make them good sides...
I can assure you they are mostly very good sides that would be comfortable in the Prem. Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're not good sides. Some big names there.

Fulhamerica23

chelsea ... 1
spurs .. 2

barcelona ... 8
real madrid ... 4

Maybe it doesn't have to do with the opponent. Maybe Barcelona and Madrid are that good? Think about that?

@jolslover

Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on May 21, 2017, 03:53:08 PM

chelsea ... 1
spurs .. 2

barcelona ... 8
real madrid ... 4

Maybe it doesn't have to do with the opponent. Maybe Barcelona and Madrid are that good? Think about that?

Agree, Agree. If they were in England they would beat the likes of west brom and palace by these margins
STH H3

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on May 21, 2017, 03:52:11 PM
Yes agree to disagree on la liga jolslover

Back to Fulham I agree with you re transfers. I reckon Kebano will be even better this season and push Aluko for his place. Also agree Jozabed is an unusual case because of the homesickness. And I'd much rather see us try another enrich or mounie type signing than get our trousers pulled down for a Scott hogan or Jordan Rhodes. In fact I'd rather give Cyriac another chance than do that

Agree with what you've said here. I think if we are going to sign a striker settled in this league it will have to be someone that has had perhaps an off season, or a young player on loan from the premier league. The good strikers at championship level are all too overpriced.
STH H3

Mince n Tatties

It's a myth that the premier league is off better quality. More money is spent and it's more competitive. But that doesn't mean the quality is better. If Barcelona, Atletico and Real Madrid were in the premier league then the premier league would be a three horse race every year aswell.

Cup and European games are totally different from league games Jols.
For you to say that Real,Barca and Athletico would be the top 3 is way off the mark.
Diff climate game played diff,any of those three would be in for a big shock on a rainy night at Stoke.
None would win our league I believe,but that's my opinion,in fact I'd think they would struggle to qualify for Champions league.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: AlexW132 on May 21, 2017, 03:38:30 PM
Not against foreign imports as long as signed from here with experience.. Compare these as it puts your argument of focusing overseas to bed Jolslover.

Cairney....Blackburn
Macdonald....Wolves
Aluko ....Hull
Malone....Cardiff
Johansen...Celtic

Jozabed
Kebano
Cyriac
Ayite
Siggardson
Madl
Pestos

Kebano has been quality, Odoi has put in a shift, and I'd count Johansen as a foreign import. And it's not like the signings from England have been flawless, Button, Martin. I get what you're trying to say, Championship experience, but it's wrong to assume that just because Jozabed failed to adapt here this Bosnian fella wouldn't.

The Bosnian fella might prove me wrong if we signed him,and of course everyone doesn't get homesick like Jozabed,but its the taking a chance that bothers me.
As I mentioned early the 5 mainstays have all been signed here.

AlexW132

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 21, 2017, 04:20:13 PM

Cairney....Blackburn
Macdonald....Wolves
Aluko ....Hull
Malone....Cardiff
Johansen...Celtic

Jozabed
Kebano
Cyriac
Ayite
Siggardson
Madl
Pestos

The Bosnian fella might prove me wrong if we signed him,and of course everyone doesn't get homesick like Jozabed,but its the taking a chance that bothers me.
It's £1.5m, it's barely a huge risk. An English equivalent would be twice the price.

Nero

Quote from: AlexW132 on May 21, 2017, 04:21:55 PM

Cairney....Blackburn
Macdonald....Wolves
Aluko ....Hull
Malone....Cardiff
Johansen...Celtic

Jozabed
Kebano
Cyriac
Ayite
Siggardson
Madl
Pestos

It's £1.5m, it's barely a huge risk. An English equivalent would be twice the price.

I rather try and sign someone like Yaya Sanogo from Arsenal who out of contract in the summer and knows English football already and will have some sell on value, then a bloke that scored 7 goals in Spain

@jolslover

Quote from: Nero on May 21, 2017, 06:32:26 PM

Cairney....Blackburn
Macdonald....Wolves
Aluko ....Hull
Malone....Cardiff
Johansen...Celtic

Jozabed
Kebano
Cyriac
Ayite
Siggardson
Madl
Pestos

I rather try and sign someone like Yaya Sanogo from Arsenal who out of contract in the summer and knows English football already and will have some sell on value, then a bloke that scored 7 goals in Spain

Knows English football from his 2 unsuccessful loan spells at Charlton and Palace? Playing a combined total of 18 games?.
To be honest I like Sanogo but not sure he's the sort of striker we should be looking at.
STH H3

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on May 21, 2017, 06:07:11 PM
Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on May 21, 2017, 03:53:08 PM

chelsea ... 1
spurs .. 2

barcelona ... 8
real madrid ... 4

ok so just out of interest (genuinely not being facetious here) immediately prior to their good spell in the champions league over the last couple of years, when you had an english team in the final almost every year for a decade or so with only the occasional appearance from barcelona,  did we think the same then? or are we saying the premier league has historically been better but la liga has just caught up / overtaken it these last few years?

The latter. I think the premier league was the best league in the world. Untill the last couple of years.
Mince I like your opinions on Fulham but when it comes to foreigners I think we are way off. How can you say that Barcelona would fail to get inside the top 4 in England when they beat our best teams routinely in the champions league, when Ex Barcelona players like Sanchez, Fabregas and Pedro have come to the premier league and been some of the best players in the league.
STH H3

AlexW132

Quote from: Nero on May 21, 2017, 06:32:26 PM

Cairney....Blackburn
Macdonald....Wolves
Aluko ....Hull
Malone....Cardiff
Johansen...Celtic

Jozabed
Kebano
Cyriac
Ayite
Siggardson
Madl
Pestos

He's scored 3 goals for Charlton, 0 for Arsenal and 0 for Palace. He's called Yaya Sanogoals for a reason. Also his wages would be ridiculous.

cmg

Champions League Finalists over the past two decades:

La Liga 13 (won 9)
Prem L  9  (won 4)
Serie A  8  (won 3)
Bundesl. 8 (won 3)
Portugal  1 (won 1)
France    1

(Before this year's Sp v It job)

westcliff white

Quote from: @jolslover on May 21, 2017, 12:08:39 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 21, 2017, 11:36:02 AM

Bargain?
What you mean like Cyriac and Jozabed.
Spain is a rubbish league,after top 6 they about as good as our league 1.

Honestly this must be some sort of wind up. The standard of league 1 is absolutely appalling. In terms of quality La Liga is IMO the best league in the world. The Prem is more unpredictable however. If Barca/Real/Atletico were in the prem they would drum teams like Burnley and Stoke 5-0 every week.

So because of Cyriac and Jozabed you have now discounted all foreign players? Both of those two looked good in the games they did play aswell.
I remember a season when we recruited tried and tested championship players, then we finished 20th. So glad our recruitment is focused overseas now.
how man y of you have watched league 1?

I have I watch southend quite avbit and the standard isn't that bad, now those teams mentioned aboce are above that level but don't disparage league 1. There are several players in league 1 I have seen that could take a step up easily to championship level.
Every day is a Fulham day

BestOfBrede

Great transfer thread...
Just wasted time reading 3 pages of people arguing about which league is better between Spainand England, all because someone mentioned the possibility of 1, Yes 1, possible striker!
Glad I haven't wasted any more time over the last week!

I thought this thread at least would stick to the title.