watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official FOF Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2017-18

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 06, 2017, 11:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcliff white

apparently Coruna have made a bid for their old striker Perez at Arsenal.
Every day is a Fulham day

LVBPTS

£16m bid in for Woods of leeds. Been rejected...crazy

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Supporter since 2000

Twig

Quote from: @jolslover on August 11, 2017, 06:26:39 PM
How do people still rate Woodrow honestly, If his name was Gohi Zverotic and he came from France people would have been done with him 2 years ago...

I don't even dislike him or think hes a bad player but its clear he is not good enough to be even second choice here.

Sadly I am coming round to that view. As a home grown talent I was keen to see him nail down a place in the squad but I doubt this is going to happen.

westcliff white

Quote from: corbs83 on August 11, 2017, 11:06:12 PM
£16m bid in for Woods of leeds. Been rejected...crazy

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Burnley bid £12 million for him and the £16 is not from them.

No movement on any that my source has informed about, other than a couple of clubs after Waris have made moves for other players.
Every day is a Fulham day

filham

Quote from: Roberty on August 11, 2017, 05:45:26 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 11, 2017, 05:07:59 PM
Quote from: Tabby on August 11, 2017, 03:51:51 PM
Quote from: Sir Craven on August 11, 2017, 02:41:30 PM
Very interesting article on Brentford's youth/transfer policy:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718752-brentfords-moneyball-way-to-beat-football-teams-wi

Hurts me to say it but they may be on to something...

Based on recent years, I think the academy is paying for itself. We got a lot of money for Roberts, and stand to gain much more if we sell Ryan.

But other than that, their system is very similar.

Agree. Last year when we lost Dembele and Hyndman for nothing I would have disagreed but now with Sessegnon tied down plus several others clearly coming through, if the cost is £2m per season then that seems value for money.

As to the use of stats, IMO they (and we, potentially) are deluding themselves if we think that's something revolutionary that other clubs aren't doing. The only unorthodox thing we do is give it primacy over, or parity with, the judgement of experienced scouts and managers. I'll wait and see how that turns out for us before I judge. Last time I checked both Fulham and Brentford were still in the Championship.

Statto - if we'd had a stats guy at the time - do you think the Steve Marlet transfer would have gone through??

At the time a longstanding season ticket holder told me that he would be a class above the others - to be honest - I'd never heard of him and after seeing him play on the odd occasion I could not see why he was seen as a saviour
The Martin transfer went through and that rates as a close second to the Marlet transfer.

Roberty

Quote from: filham on August 12, 2017, 12:05:19 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718752-brentfords-moneyball-way-to-beat-football-teams-wi

Based on recent years, I think the academy is paying for itself. We got a lot of money for Roberts, and stand to gain much more if we sell Ryan.

Agree. Last year when we lost Dembele and Hyndman for nothing I would have disagreed but now with Sessegnon tied down plus several others clearly coming through, if the cost is £2m per season then that seems value for money.

As to the use of stats, IMO they (and we, potentially) are deluding themselves if we think that's something revolutionary that other clubs aren't doing. The only unorthodox thing we do is give it primacy over, or parity with, the judgement of experienced scouts and managers. I'll wait and see how that turns out for us before I judge. Last time I checked both Fulham and Brentford were still in the Championship.

Statto - if we'd had a stats guy at the time - do you think the Steve Marlet transfer would have gone through??

At the time a longstanding season ticket holder told me that he would be a class above the others - to be honest - I'd never heard of him and after seeing him play on the odd occasion I could not see why he was seen as a saviour
The Martin transfer went through and that rates as a close second to the Marlet transfer.

Not that close - Martin scored one less goal but didn't spend two season doing it - he also didn't get the manager/coach fired either
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Holders

If SJ had no say in transfers, how come we got Martin and then SJ wanted to hang on to him saying how important he was? Clearly he liked him so either he had a say or he was happy with what stats man had imposed.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: Roberty on August 12, 2017, 12:10:28 PM
Quote from: filham on August 12, 2017, 12:05:19 PM

Not that close - Martin scored one less goal but didn't spend two season doing it - he also didn't get the manager/coach fired either

Marlet wasn't an out and out striker for one thing- and featured well in Coleman's side till he got sold. Chris didn't want him to go at that time.

Roberty

Quote from: Holders on August 12, 2017, 12:12:19 PM

Marlet wasn't an out and out striker for one thing- and featured well in Coleman's side till he got sold. Chris didn't want him to go at that time.

For £11.5m - I would expect him to be able to dance on ice too - that was a huge fee in 2001

Sadly he was not sold but went on loan to Marseilles who did not take up the option to purchase - at the end of his contract he was release by Fulham - so MAF got none of his money back

But my question was about stats - do you believe our stats guy would have given the go ahead ?

Holders

Quote from: Roberty on August 12, 2017, 12:26:43 PM

For £11.5m - I would expect him to be able to dance on ice too - that was a huge fee in 2001

Sadly he was not sold but went on loan to Marseilles who did not take up the option to purchase - at the end of his contract he was release by Fulham - so MAF got none of his money back

But my question was about stats - do you believe our stats guy would have given the go ahead ?

Ok, we moved Marlet on because of a tiff between MAF and Tigana. It wasn't his fault and I believe he was much-maligned. Would he have passed the stats test? Well surely that depends on the criteria set for him to be assessed against.

Roberty

Quote from: Statto on August 12, 2017, 12:51:20 PM
Roberty may have a point about Marlet. It's impossible to say so I wouldn't argue strongly either way.

Equally you could say if we'd signed Andrea Pereira, who apparently Jokanovic wanted but Kline vetoed last summer, perhaps he'd have a been a big hit last year and got us promoted. He went on to have a good year in La Liga, so who knows.

We haven't signed a "really" expensive (ie. £10m) player under this system, McCormack was the last, so if we sign a big name like Rolan in the next few weeks it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Never heard of him but I will take your word for it - if he didn't play for Fulham or Shrewsbury Town I take little notice

Do you know if we had a stats man before Kline? Someone on here thought that everyone uses stats these days

Given that Rolan is rapidly running out of places to go - I would expect Bordeaux to pay us to take him off their hands - maybe not - but not the huge fee we would have been willing to pay two weeks ago

I would imagine that like you I'm hoping that someone at the club will pull a few juicy rabbits out of the hat before the window closes

DevonFFC

Maiden McGeady so says bbc sport. Much prefer just an out and out striker instead of these winger/forwards

Tabby

Quote from: ollienixs on August 12, 2017, 09:50:26 PM
Maiden McGeady so says bbc sport. Much prefer just an out and out striker instead of these winger/forwards

But he just signed for Sunderland. Have a link handy, would be bizarre if true.

DevonFFC

Quote from: Tabby on August 12, 2017, 10:08:54 PM
Quote from: ollienixs on August 12, 2017, 09:50:26 PM

But he just signed for Sunderland. Have a link handy, would be bizarre if true.

Some one on Twitter and linked to a BBC.  Probably aload of shite  but this is a silly thread 

Ignore me

aaronmcguigan

There's nothing on or near BBC linking him with us since 2013, you've taken that from a rumours bot which literally randomly generates rumours.

Twig

Quote from: Holders on August 12, 2017, 12:31:10 PM
Quote from: Roberty on August 12, 2017, 12:26:43 PM

Ok, we moved Marlet on because of a tiff between MAF and Tigana. It wasn't his fault and I believe he was much-maligned. Would he have passed the stats test? Well surely that depends on the criteria set for him to be assessed against.

I was a regular at Fulham in the Marlet era.  He was a disappointment for sure, but to be fair he was primarily a winger. Tigana wanted to copy Wenger and convert a winger into a striker but was patently unsuccessful. He then compounded the error by refusing to recognise that his experiment had failed.  On the few occasions that I saw Marlet played out wide he was prettty damned decent.

DevonFFC

Quote from: Newry FFC on August 12, 2017, 10:27:30 PM
There's nothing on or near BBC linking him with us since 2013, you've taken that from a rumours bot which literally randomly generates rumours.

Bloody he'll I have been done by a bot. Pants down by A.I  :dft001:

Tabby

Quote from: ollienixs on August 12, 2017, 10:31:15 PM
Quote from: Newry FFC on August 12, 2017, 10:27:30 PM

Bloody he'll I have been done by a bot. Pants down by A.I  :dft001:

We've all been there.

@jolslover

Just seen Forestieri has been told he wont play for Wednesday again. Would love him at Fulham.
STH H3

DevonFFC