watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (17/05/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 17, 2017, 07:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Reading 1-0 Fulham (2-1 agg): Yann Kermorgant penalty sends Royals one game from Premier League

An inspired goalkeeping display from Ali Al-Habsi ensured that the Royals saw off the late Fulham onslaught

It just had to be settled by a penalty, didn't it?

As Reading booked their place in Europe's richest football match – the £200 million Championship play-off final at Wembley on Bank Holiday Monday – Yann Kermorgant summoned nerves of steel where so many stout hearts had melted.

Between them, the Royals and Fulham had missed a staggering 15 out of their 25 spot-kicks this season.

But Kermorgant, who once flunked an attempted 'Panenka' penalty for Leicester in a play-off semi-final seven years ago, spurned the party tricks this time – and Jaap Stam's streetwise side are now just 90 minutes from the Premier League.

Spare a thought for heartbroken Fulham, the best footballing side in the division, who paid a prohibitive price for one mistake last night.

Not since Bobby Moore and Alan Mullery were among the sentries at Craven Cottage have Fulham picketed Wembley Way.

Now they will have to wait at least another 12 months to walk in the footsteps of Alec Stock's 1975 FA Cup final team.

Comedian Paul Whitehouse is thought to have modelled his Ron Manager character on Stock's paternal burr, and such was the urgency of the teams' fifth meeting this season – including one contest curtailed by fog - that this was another Fast Show in its own right.

If the first leg at Craven Cottage was cagier than a zoo, neither goalkeeper was kept waiting to excel.

Marcus Bettinelli's one-handed save from Kermorgant's sharp turn and shot after 13 minutes was simply world-class, and Ali Al Habsi's reflexes were in good working order, too.

If there was an element of good fortune when he diverted Ryan Fredericks' effort against foot of his near post, after the Fulham full-back's surging run into the box, there was nothing lucky about Al Habsi's full-length sprawl to keep out Tom Cairney's free-kick and Sone Aluko's follow-up.

But the deadlock was broken four minutes after the break as Tomas Kalas was penalised by referee Martin Atkinson for playing basketball on the edge of his 18-yard area – and Kermorgant made no mistake.

If there was little or no intent behind the Fulham defender's handiwork, Atkinson's decision looked a fair cop.

And Salavisa Jokanovic's men were lucky to survive when England Under-21 international John Swift prodded Chris Gunter's right-wing cross straight at Bettinelli from two yards out when it looke easier to score.

But Reading still needed more heroics from Al Habsi to survive as the Royals keeper produced an acrobatic save to deny Kalas an equaliser from close range.

Then, deep into five minutes of added time, sub Chris Martin headed agonisingly wide from Stefan Johansen's cross.

READING: Al Habsi 8, Gunter 7, Moore 7, Ilori 7, Blackett 7 (McCleary, 66), Van Den Berg 7, Evans 6, Swift 6 (Kelly, 75), Williams 7, Grabban 7, Kermorgant 7.

FULHAM: Bettinelli 7, Fredericks 7, Kalas 6, Ream 8, Malone 7 (Martin, 73), McDonald 6, Cairney 8, Johansen 6, Aluko 5, Kebano 5 (Piazon, 58), Ayite 5 (Sessegnon, 58).

REFEREE: Martin Atkinson

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/reading-1-0-fulham-2-10436781

WhiteJC

Chris Martin to return to Derby County as Fulham's season ends

Chris Martin.

Chris Martin will return to Derby County after Fulham's play-off final hopes came to an end against Reading on Tuesday evening.

Martin, who has been out on loan in the capital, will return to the Rams following Fulham's 1-0 defeat at the Madejski Stadium.

Despite starting on the bench, Martin did feature when he came on in place of Scott Malone in the 76th minute.

The only goal of the second leg tie came after Fulham centre-back Tomas Kalas was penalised for handball. Reading's Yann Kermorgant converted from the spot in the only goal of the game to secure a play-off final spot.

The Royals will face either Sheffield Wednesday or Huddersfield Town in the Wembley final on Monday, May 29 for a shot at promotion to the Premier League.

Fulham XI to play Reading: Bettinelli, Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, Malone (Martin 73'), Johansen, McDonald, Aluko, Cairney, Ayite (Sessegnon 58'), Kebano (Piazon 58').

Reading XI to play Fulham: Al-Habsi, Gunter, Blackett (McCleary 66'), Ilori, Moore, Van den Berg, Evans, Williams, Swift (Kelly 75'), Grabban, Kermorgant (Mendes 89').

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/chris-martin-to-return-to-derby-county-as-fulham-s-season-ends/story-30336684-detail/story.html#D7TzKFUkHg7gm5Ai.99

WhiteJC

Unlucky Fulham suffer play-off defeat

Reading 1 Fulham 0

(Reading win 2-1 on aggregate)

Yann Kermorgant's second-half penalty ended Fulham's promotion hopes.

On-loan Chelsea defender Tomas Kalas, under pressure from Kermorgant, was adjudged to have handled a seemingly innocuous ball into the box on 50 minutes, and Kermorgant smashed home the decisive goal with the resulting spot-kick.

Fulham found Ali Al Habsi in terrific form, with the Royals keeper making a number of saves to send his side to Wembley.

Fulham struggled to gain a foothold in a similar way to the first leg – a 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage – and boss Slavisa Jokanovic's single change, freshening up the attack with Neeskens Kebano for Chris Martin, made little impact.

The Royals pressed Fulham back and found joy with their front players as keeper Marcus Bettinelli was forced into a quick, low save to stop a low shot from Kermorgant in just the 13th minute.

Fulham only seemed to find space when the full-backs got high up into wide areas, and right-back Ryan Fredericks almost scored when he broke into the penalty area and forced Al Habsi into his first stop of the night.

Left-back Scott Malone also had an effort saved when he broke into the box and Al Habsi pulled off a fine double stop to keep out Tom Cairney's free-kick and Kebano's follow-up before half-time.

After Fulham found themselves behind, Ryan Sessegnon, Lucas Piazon and Chris Martin all came off the bench and Piazon, who was on loan at Reading last season, had a glorious chance to level blocked from close range.

Sessegnon also squandered a decent chance on the breakaway, before Al Habsi swept an arm in front of Martin's effort from eight yards out that seemed destined for the net.

And deep into stoppage time, with Bettinelli inside the Reading box for a succession of corners, substitute Martin headed a Tim Ream cross agonisingly wide of the far post.

Fulham (4-2-3-1): Bettinelli; Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, Malone (Martin 72); McDonald, Johansen; Kebano (Sessegnon 58), Cairney, Aluko; Ayite (Piazon 58)
Subs not used: Button; Odoi, Parker, Cyriac.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/unlucky-fulham-suffer-play-off-defeat

WhiteJC

Academy's Singapore Trip

The Under-15s flew to Singapore this month to take part in the biggest youth tournament in Asia, the JSSL Professional Academies Singapore International 7s.

It was the inaugural year for Professional Academies to be involved, and thanks to Fulham's Academy Recruitment Manager Dan Rice, the Whites were invited to participate in the tournament.

The 7-a-side competition was Under-16 level, but with our boys taking their GCSEs the younger age group below were readily available to step in.

"The tournament was a fantastic experience," commented Academy Director Huw Jennings.

"I think what was a really good insight for us was to see how our boys managed different challenges such as jet lag, heat humidity, playing different formats for games, and totally different types of opponents."

"It was a fascinating insight into the way in which young players can handle themselves in that situation."

Also on the trip was Under 13s-15s Head Coach Dan Thomas. "Overall it was a great experience on the pitch, but also off the pitch," he said.

"Because of the heat and humidity we had to play more tactically to how we would in England, the boys had to recognise when to slow the game down, how to manage the tempo of the game and save energy. It was a great learning experience for them in that respect."

There were six teams involved and the others to be invited were JSSL FC, Bangkok United, Penang FA, Sporting Lisbon and Perth Glory.

The Young Whites nearly topped the group, but in their final group game having led 3-0 against Sporting, three quick-fire late goals from the Portuguese team meant the match finished with a draw and Fulham finished third.

"Unfortunately we couldn't hold onto the win," Thomas said. "However, it was fantastic performance and a great confidence boost to a lot of our young players."

Fulham went on to beat Bangkok United in the Quarter-Finals, and as a result were put to the test against Sporting Lisbon once more in the Semis. The match finished 0-0 and went on to extra time.

"With the heat being what it was we had to take a different approach, we had to play a lot more counter attack football because it was difficult to press when the offside rule was not in so other teams could play long," Thomas stated.

"The boys had to adapt and play counter attack football and drop into a block. So that was a good learning experience for them. We had a good semi-final against Sporting Lisbon.

"They did a better job of defending against us so the game ended 0-0. It went to extra time, but in this tournament it went to 3 v 3, rather than the dreaded penalty shoot-out.

"3 v 3 on the same sized pitch, then after a minute if there wasn't a goal it went to 2 v 2, and then 1 v 1 after another minute if no goal. It was a really interesting experience for the boys not having a penalty shootout but having to play golden goal to get to the final on a big pitch."

Sporting went on to win in Extra-Time. Jennings noted; "We had a group of boys all of which were younger than the eventual winners, Sporting Clube de Portugal, and I think for us to compete in those conditions the boys should be commended."

"We have already been invited back and I think as an experience for the players it is invaluable." Jennings said.

"Unquestionably it is terrific for our boys to tested in that environment and we would be delighted to go again.

"It's important to comment on the work of the organisers JSSL, who effectively run football in Singapore. They fully funded our trip and we've enjoyed a very good connection with them, they were a very good organisation to work alongside and we would be delighted to go again."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/may/16/academy-travel-to-singapore

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic disappointed by determined to improve as Fulham suffer Play-Off heartbreak

Slavisa Jokanovic could not hide his disappointment as Fulham's season was ended with a Play-Off semi-final defeat to Reading on Tuesday evening.

Yann Kermorgant's second-half penalty was the difference in a thrilling second-leg clash at the Madejski Stadium, as both teams missed a host of chances.

Fulham's Play-Off heartbreaks continue, having never gained promotion via the route, and Jokanovic has vowed to pick his team up and try again next season.

"I'm disappointed," he told reporters. "I'm proud with our product and that we tried. We had many chances.

"We were not clinical. We are not happy. We cannot be satisfied but we made many, many important steps [this season].

"We will try next year."

Come the end of 180 minutes of end-to-end action between the two teams, a mistake settled the tie.

A 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage on Saturday followed by the second leg was ultimately decided by Kermorgant from 12 yards.

Tomas Kalas was the culprit having being deemed to have  handles  the ball when attempting to control it - which replays appeared to confirm.

Jokanovic appears to accept the referee's call but did question Fulham's own appeal later in the game.

He continued: "If he [the referee] must give it in this situation, he must do it in the opposite box when they push Lucas Piazon.

"In general, I think Mr Atkinson is best to referee in England. He knows better. I cannot complain."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/slavisa-jokanovic-disappointed-by-determined-to-improve-as-fulham-suffer-playoff-heartbreak-a3540891.html

WhiteJC

"The best team lost!" - Fulham boss hits out after Reading dash promotion dreams

Yann Kermorgant's spot kick was the difference between the two sides but the Serbian felt Tomas Kalas was pushed for the handball that led to the penalty

Slavisa Jokanovic insists the best team lost after his Fulham side's promotion dreams were dashed by Reading at the Madejski Stadium.

Yann Kermorgant's spot kick was the difference between the two sides but the Serbian felt Tomas Kalas was pushed for the handball that led to the penalty.

Fulham had the better of the play but an inspired Ali Al Habsi was there to deny them time and time again.

When asked if the best team lost, Jokanovic said: "Yes. I believe you watched the game. We played the better football. We were the best team but we're not going to play in the final.

"Reading scored two goals and both goals came from complicated decisions in these situations. A push in the box should be a penalty but the referee didn't show consistency in the opposite box and, in this situation, if he shows it in one he must show it in the opposite box when they push Lucas Piazon.

Agony: Lucas Piazon (Photo: PA)

"This is the best English referee, he's an international referee. I can not complain. But we are really disappointed that we've lost the chance to play in the final after this kind of decision.

"We created many chances but it wasn't clinical enough tonight. For another side, I can't be satisfied and normally we are disappointed but I am proud of my team and how they play all the season.

"At the end we lost tonight but I can be proud how my team fought and how my team played tonight against Reading.

"We dominated them, we took risks and created many things. We didn't score and I wish them the best at Wembley."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/the-best-team-lost-fulham-13045915

WhiteJC

Head Coach Reaction

Slaviša Jokanović was "disappointed but proud" after Fulham's season ended at the Semi-Final stage of the Play-Offs.

Yann Kermorgant's penalty proved the difference as Reading secured a 2-1 aggregate win, but the hosts didn't really offer much at the Madejski Stadium.

Asked if the better team lost on Tuesday night, Jokanović replied: "Yes. You watched the game, we played better football. It's true we were the best team, but we're not going to play the Final."

There was controversy in that the penalty conceded came after Tomas Kalas was pushed by Kermorgant, and Fulham then should have had a spot-kick of their own when Lucas Piazon was wrestled to the ground.

"Reading scored two goals, both after a complicated decision," he explained. "There was a push [on Piazon] in the box that should be a penalty, but the referee didn't show consistency, didn't show the same criteria in the opposite box.

"But this is the best English referee, an international referee. I cannot complain but we are really disappointed as we lost the chance to play in the Final because of this decision.

"We created many chances but we weren't clinical enough tonight. Normally we would be disappointed, but from another side I am proud of my team, how they played all season.

"In the end we lost tonight, but I can be proud of how my team fought, how my team played against Reading. We dominated them, we took risks, we created many things, but at the end we didn't score the goal, and I wish them all the best at Wembley."

Attentions now turn to next season, and Jokanović expects to keep his key players at Fulham to aid the 2017/18 promotion push.

"I expect our best players are going to stay with us," he said. "This is information I have from the board.

"Next season will be complicated, like every Championship season, but we are going to push to be a promoted team."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/may/16/head-coach-reaction

WhiteJC

Newcastle fans urge Rafa Benitez to get on with Tom Cairney pursuit following Fulham's play-off loss

Newcastle United were linked with Fulham star Tom Cairney recently, and the fans now want a move sorted.

A large group of Newcastle supporters have taken to Twitter to urge the Magpies to go out and sign Tom Cairney as soon as possible following Fulham's play-off defeat to Reading.

The Daily Mail reported back in March that Rafa Benitez wanted to bring Cairney to St James' Park this summer as the Magpies prepared for what was then a probable promotion back to the Premier League.

With the title since wrapped up, Newcastle would have surely felt confident that their chances of landing Cairney - who the Mail reported was valued at £12 million - would have been boosted had they gone up while the Cottagers missed out on promotion.

And while Fulham would have been many people's tip to win the play-offs, they suffered an agonising defeat to Reading in the second-leg to lose the tie 2-1 on aggregate - with the 26-year-old scoring Fulham's goal in the first-leg - leaving Slavisa Jokanovic's side to concentrate on another campaign in the second tier.

The defeat has prompted a significant section of Newcastle fans to urge the club to waste no time in pursuing a deal for Cairney, and based on his form this season, it is not difficult to see why they want him through the door quickly.

He has scored 13 times and contributed 10 assists in the Championship, and the Newcastle fans are keen to see the club swiftly hand him the chance to prove himself at the highest level.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/16/newcastle-fans-urge-rafa-benitez-to-get-on-with-tom-cairney-purs/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss issues strong statement over Liverpool and Newcastle targets

The Whites' season came to an end after a 2-1 defeat to Reading on aggregate in the Championship play-off semi finals

Slavisa Jokanovic expects Fulham's best players to STAY at Craven Cottage for next season.

The Whites' season came to an end after a 2-1 defeat to Reading on aggregate in the Championship play-off semi finals.

The expectation is that the likes of Tom Cairney, Ryan Sessegnon and others will be targeted by Premier League clubs but Jokanovic has warned suitors that the board will keep hold of them.

"I expect our best players are going to stay with us – this is the information I have from the board. We are talking about our most important players – they are going to stay with us," Jokanovic said.

"Next season will be complicated. We'll push to be promoted. We must be clever in the period in front of us."

Jokanovic knows that Fulham will need to improve their team over the summer in order to clinch promotion to the Premier League.

"It depends on the summer. Right now, it depends if we bring in what we need. We're talking about being clinical and solid and talking about different things," he added.

"We are not at the end to take this target what we want to catch, especially at the end of the season.

"We believe we can be promoted and if you don't do it it's clear we need to improve our team and squad and still be more competitive in the season in front."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-boss-issues-strong-statement-13045938

WhiteJC

Leeds United fans turn 'bottle' taunt back at Fulham after play-off loss

After six games Leeds United were in the relegation places. 11 games later they were in the play-off places. 26 games later they dropped to seventh.

After a season that surprised probably most Leeds United fans, the Whites went from mid-table mediocrity and points scrambling to a side that had a very real shot at hitting out for the play-offs and a chance to head for the promised land of the Premier League.

However, fate delivered a hefty kick to the vitals and a terrible run of form saw Leeds fail to pick up the points that would stave off a late cavalry charge from Fulham. A 1-0 home loss to Wolves in their 43rd game of the season saw the Whites drop to 7th and the Cottagers overhaul them. This was compounded in their next game as they suffered a shock 2-1 defeat away at Burton.

Mathematical possibility was the only thing keeping Leeds even remotely in the hunt for 6th place, but this was dashed by Fulham consistency and Leeds' last two games being draws against Norwich and an already relegated Wigan.

As the 'Leeds slide' began to unfold, form dropping away to virtually nothing, Fulham fans couldn't help themselves but to start getting the digs in about the Whites being 'bottlers' or joining in the Sky Bet Championship 'Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again' chants that suddenly became almost de rigueur for the play-off confirmed teams to chant.

Then Fulham lost 1-0 to Reading tonight, knocking them out of the play-offs and sending Reading to Wembley.

Revenge is a dish best served cold they say. Leeds fans served up this dish not only cold, but with a smörgåsbord of retorts and digs of their own.

Leeds fans collect Fulham taunts and look for a place to ram them – Twitter reactions

In a way, it didn't matter which of the play-off teams went out, Leeds fans were poised to pounce. In fairness, like a uniform coiled beast, they were ready and the did pounce – the tweets that come below showing their joy at being able to unleash hell.

http://the72.co.uk/81237/leeds-united-fans-turn-bottle-taunt-back-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham will wait to make decisions on Chelsea duo and Derby striker

Jokanovic, though, would not be drawn on their futures and whether they'd be back at Craven Cottage next season

Fulham will wait to make a decision over whether they try and sign loan players Lucas Piazon, Tomas Kalas and Chris Martin.

The Chelsea pair and the Derby striker are on temporary at the Whites this season and their spells came to an end after the Whites were beaten by Reading in the Championship play-off semi finals.

Head coach Slavisa Jokanovic, though, would not be drawn on their futures and whether they'd be back at Craven Cottage next season.

He said: "I believe it's not a decision for right now to talk about my plans. They're two Chelsea players and Chris Martin, a Derby player.

"It's not in my hands. I am very happy with the collaboration of these people in the seaosn behind us. It's not in my hands."

Fulham do have a clause to sign Martin permanently, while Chelsea appear willing to allow Piazon and Kalas to leave the club on a permanent basis.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-wait-make-decisions-chelsea-13045945

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic press conference transcript after Whites' season ended by Reading

Royals break Whites' hearts

A bitterly disappointed Slavisa Jokanovic hit out at the officials after Fulham's season was ended by Reading in the Championship play-off semi finals.

The Whites had chances but didn't take them, largely thanks to an inspired Ali Al Habsi in the Royals goal, and paid the penalty after Tomas Kalas handled in the box.

Yann Kermorgant, who missed a key penalty for Leicester in the play-offs in 2010, made no mistake from the penalty spot to give his side the lead.

Fulham did create further chances but were denied by Al Habsi and the Reading defence, who were dead on their feet by the end.

But it was not enough and the Whites' unwanted run of play-off games without a win extends to six, leaving the club to lick their wounds in the summer.

You can read the full transcript of Jokanovic's press conference below.

Did the best team lose tonight?

Yes! (After a long pause) I don't know if you need me to explain something. I believe you watched the game. We played the better football. It's true. We are the best team but we're not going to play in the final?

What was the difference?

Reading scored two goals and both of them were after complicated decisions. This situation exists. Some push in the box should be a penalty. The referee didn't show consistency and the same criteria in the opposite box.

In this situation, he show in the penalty spot, he must show in the opposite box when they push Lucas Piazon. This is the best English referee. He's an international referee. I can not complain. It doesn't sit for nothing in the end.

We're really disappointed to lose the chance to play in the final after this kind of decision. Anyway, we have created many chances. We weren't clinical enough tonight.

For another side, I normally can't be satisfied and it's normal to be disappointed but from another side I'm proud of my team and how they played all season.

At the end, we lost tonight but I can be proud how my team fought and how my team played tonight against Reading. We dominated them and took risks. We created many things but didn't score the goal. I wish them all the best at Wembley.

Is it about using this experience for next season?

It can be. It depends on the summer and other things. It depends on what we do. It depends if we bring in what this team needs.

We have to be clinical and solid. We are talking about different things. It depends. I expect our best players are going to stay with us.

This is the information I have from the board. Next season will be complicated like all the season. We are going to push to be promoted. If we want to be in this half we must be clever in this period in front of us.

It's a young team that can only get better surely?

We are not, at the end, taking this target we aimed for at the end of the season. We believed we could have been promoted and if you don't do it, it's clear we need to improve our team and our squad and be still more competitive in a season in front of us.

Where do you need to improve?

We've spoken a lot about being clinical and solid. We finished the season with two strikers; two loan players and finished the season without a natural striker. We need to think about this position. It's natural. We need to be solid and competitive.

Did the team play the best they could have played and didn't leave anything off the pitch?

We only scored one goal. It's normal. We've scored more goals. We didn't put it in the net and we paid an expensive price.

It's a new experience for us but for other things, in both games we played better football than Reading. It's normal that in football the results are the important thing.

They earned the chance to play at Wembley and that's it. I wish them all the best and we're going to try, rest and make analysis about this progress in this last season. At the same time we must show ambition to be stronger in the period in front of us.

What are the plans for the likes of Kalas, Piazon, Martin etc.?

It's not the time right now to talk about my plans in general. These players you ask me about are two Chelsea players and Chris Martin; a Derby player.

This is not in my hands. It depends on different things. I'm very happy with the collaboration of these people this season behind us but this situation is not in my hands.

You're confident you can keep the best players?

Yep. This is the information I have from the board of the club. We're talking about most important players. They promised me they're going to stay with us.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-slavisa-jokanovic-press-13046033

WhiteJC

Newcastle United target Tom Cairney could be open to move to St James' Park

After failing in the play-offs Fulham the Magpies could revive interest in Scotland international

Newcastle United could now revive their interest in Fulham star Tom Cairney.

The Cottagers were beaten in the play-offs by Reading and consigned to another year in the Sky Bet Championship.

And Newcastle may now be looking to tempt Cairney into a move north following on from strong interest from the Magpies back in January.

Back then United were quoted £20million for the attacking midfielder, but Fulham must now consider all transfer bids carefully, and a lower fee might be accepted.

Cairney, whose grandfather supports Newcastle, is believed to be interested in the move and there is certainly admiration from Rafa Benitez and his back-room staff.

Tom Cairney (Photo: Getty Images Europe)

The 26-year-old is entering the peak years of his career and may want to take his chance in the Premier League.

He netted 13 goals and provided 11 assists in the Championship and is ready to make the step up.

When asked about playing in the Premier League, Cairney said last week: "Every player has to back themselves to play at that level and I believe once I get there — and I hope it's with Fulham — I really will show I can do things at that level.

"It's all about getting there in the first place, but I do think it does suit my game."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-target-tom-cairney-13045992

WhiteJC

Penalty woe for Whites as they miss out on Wembley play-off final

Fulham's Kevin McDonald appears dejected during the Sky Bet Championship play off, second leg match at the Madejski Stadium, Reading.

Fulham's season ended in gut-wrenching anti-climax as a penalty early in the second half ended their ambitions of making it to Wembley and the Premier League.
The Whites have never won a play-off – having failed in two previous attempts in 1989 and 1998 – and that unwelcome statistic was one they simply could not shake off during another frustrating 90 minutes against the Royals.
As at Saturday at Craven Cottage, there was not much in it, and Fulham played the better football. But that will not ease the pain of a bitter 2-1 aggregate defeat that has torpedoed a season of great promise.
At the end, several distraught red-shirted Fulham players were on their haunches or sat on the turf, wondering how all their possession – and they had plenty of it over the two legs – had come to nothing.
But for all their excellence this season, they could not quite summon the incisiveness they needed when it mattered most against a more physical Reading side.
Fulham's fate was effectively sealed on 48 minutes when Tomas Kalas, under pressure from the ever-dangerous Yann Kermogant, fatefully flicked up an arm to guide the ball away from the Reading striker as the pair contested an awkward bouncing ball.

Unfortunately for the Whites' defender, ref Martin Atkinson spotted the movement of madness, and Kermogant himself gratefully swept the resulting penalty past Marcus Bettinelli's right hand.
It very nearly become much worse, when a cross from the right found John Swift five yards out with the goal at his mercy. There were huge sighs of relief from the visitors as the Fulham keeper blocked the effort to keep his side in the game.
A double substitution just before the hour was almost instantly rewarded, with Lucas Piazon – on for Neeskens Kebano – almost converting a Sone Aluko cut-back.
Then, second sub Ryan Sessegnon had an effort from distance, after being release by Aluko's athletic pass into inviting space down the left channel.
With time starting to run out for Slavisa Jokanovic's side, Chris Martin entered the fray in place of Scott Malone to try and lend the attack a greater focal point, but the best chance in the final flurries fell to Kevin McDonald.
Aluko's dancing feet got him past Joey Van den Berg inside the area and it looked odds-on that McDonald would tuck away the opening from eight yards – but Al-Habsi somehow tipped over and it immediately felt like the story of Fulham's fate had been written.
The warnings of a difficult night ahead were there from the outset, with Bettinelli having to be at his best to get down low to his right to keep out a full-blooded drive from Kermogant.
Ryan Fredericks lifted spirits with a good run into the area, cutting in from the right before arrowing a left footer towards the near post which tested Al-Habsi.
And the Whites, so slow to find their feet at first, almost took the lead when Tom Cairney arced a free-kick over the wall to test the reflexes of Al-Habsi – who also did well to keep out the follow-up from the busy Aluko.
Lewis Grabban had a chance at the start of the second half – heading a cross goalwards but without the direction or pace to seriously trouble Bettinelli. But in Reading's next serious attack, Kalas gave away the spot-kick which gave the hosts the upper hand that they never relinquished.
Fulham: Bettinelli; Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, Malone (Martin 73); McDonald; Kebano (Piazon 58), Cairney, Johansen, Ayite (Sessegnon 58); Aluko. Subs not used: Button, Odoi, Parker, Cyriac

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/24220/penalty-woe-whites-miss-wembley-play-off-final/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic: Board want to keep Cairney and other top players

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic says he expects to retain Tom Cairney and his other 'best players' at Craven Cottage, despite having to settle for Championship football again next season.
The Whites were beaten 1-0 by Reading at the Madejski Stadium on Tuesday night to lose 2-1 on aggregate in their play-off semi-final – missing the chance to contest the Championship decider at Wembley.
The fear for Fulham fans is that a promising outfit will be broken up if Premier League clubs come after the most talented members of Jokanovic's squad – with outstanding teenager Ryan Sessegnon also a likely target.
But the Whites' head coach is adamant there will be improvements, rather than any backward steps.
"I expect our best players are going to stay with us. This is the information that I have from the board," said the Serbian.

"To improve depends on the summer and what we do. Right now we are talking about the need to be more clinical and solid.
"Next season is going to be complicated, like all the seasons. If we want to be in this top half in the Championship, we have to be clever in this period in front of us.
"In the end, we did not take this target where we start to believe we could be promoted, and it's clear we need to improve our team, our squad, to be still more competitive in the season in front of us.
"We're going to rest and make analysis about what I believe is progress we made in this season. At the same time, we must show ambition to be stronger in the period in front of us."
One area Jokanovic will be desperate to improve will be his options up front, because with Chris Martin only on loan, he currently has no natural strikers to finish off the sometimes dazzling approach play.
"We didn't score and we paid an expensive price," Jokanovic said of the frustrating defeat at Reading.
"We played better football and in the end, it's true, we are the best team, but we don't play in the final. We created many chances but we weren't clinical enough.
"Normally I cannot be satisfied, and am disappointed, but from another side, I am proud with my team – how they played all the season.
"At the end, we lost, but I can be proud how my team was fighting tonight. We dominated them, took risks and created many things."

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/24225/jokanovic-board-want-keep-cairney-top-players/

Bill2

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 17, 2017, 07:39:28 AM

Newcastle United target Tom Cairney could be open to move to St James' Park

After failing in the play-offs Fulham the Magpies could revive interest in Scotland international

Newcastle United could now revive their interest in Fulham star Tom Cairney.

The Cottagers were beaten in the play-offs by Reading and consigned to another year in the Sky Bet Championship.

And Newcastle may now be looking to tempt Cairney into a move north following on from strong interest from the Magpies back in January.

Back then United were quoted £20million for the attacking midfielder, but Fulham must now consider all transfer bids carefully, and a lower fee might be accepted.

Cairney, whose grandfather supports Newcastle, is believed to be interested in the move and there is certainly admiration from Rafa Benitez and his back-room staff.

Tom Cairney (Photo: Getty Images Europe)

The 26-year-old is entering the peak years of his career and may want to take his chance in the Premier League.

He netted 13 goals and provided 11 assists in the Championship and is ready to make the step up.

When asked about playing in the Premier League, Cairney said last week: "Every player has to back themselves to play at that level and I believe once I get there — and I hope it's with Fulham — I really will show I can do things at that level.

"It's all about getting there in the first place, but I do think it does suit my game."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-target-tom-cairney-13045992
Why must we consider all transfer bids carefully? We don't have to accept a lower price as long as a players contract is for more than a year or we need the money which we don't. Since Jan Tom has gone on to play better so if anything the price has just gone up.