Author Topic: Joka - contract escape clause?  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Burt

• Global Moderator
  • Moritz Volz
  • The future's bright, the future's white.
Re: Joka - contract escape clause?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »
There was an article in the Evening Standard (I think it was last night) that said he did have a release clause in the event that we did not get promoted.

Quite how accurate that is, and how they would know, is obviously up for debate.

I suspect it is probably true. Most ambitious managers worth their salt would probably want some form of flexibility built in.

But as he is going to stay, it won't be an issue :)

Offline cmg

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 03:25:55 PM »
We all know that football manager contracts are not very reliable things. The club can sack and pay out the contract. The manager can walk and the new club pay compensation...

Aint that the truth.

People often say that players' contracts 'are not worth the paper they are written on'. This is not entirely true (cf C. Martin), but it is true of managers' contracts.

In football, managers are more disposable than the paper in the main stand bogs. They are sacked on a whim and I can recall no instance of a manager who wishes to leave being held to a contract.

Jokanovic's new contract gave him, presumably, a nice, fully deserved, pay rise and demonstrated that he was, at that time, happy with his situation. Long may that continue.
Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Offline rweller86

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »
There was an article in the Evening Standard (I think it was last night) that said he did have a release clause in the event that we did not get promoted.

Quite how accurate that is, and how they would know, is obviously up for debate.

I suspect it is probably true. Most ambitious managers worth their salt would probably want some form of flexibility built in.

But as he is going to stay, it won't be an issue :)
They probably saw this thread and put it in their late edition!
@rweller