watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Joka - contract escape clause?

Started by ffc73, May 18, 2017, 04:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffc73

Anyone heard or seen any evidence of Joka having an exit clause in his contract whereby he can leave this summer as we have not got promotion

Feel I am being wound up by a mate but I'm not sure...  :023:

nose

Quote from: FFC73 on May 18, 2017, 04:05:33 PM
Anyone heard or seen any evidence of Joka having an exit clause in his contract whereby he can leave this summer as we have not got promotion

Feel I am being wound up by a mate but I'm not sure...  :023:

I think it unlikely but I do not know. I suspect joca wants the chance to get us promoted and manage us in the prem. I think his ego dictates that he wants to manage the team he gets promoted to prove how good he is to himself. I certainly hope so.

Wearethewhites

Most likely has a clause that he got a whopping big pay rise if we were promoted as well.

I think everyone is reading to much in stuff at the moment, more worried about losing people, than focusing on a good season and the positives it should bring.

Bottom line is, how did Jok know we'd scrape the playoffs when signing his new contact? There was a possibility, however, I don't think that was the main motivator.

The 2 years says to me that this was a practice run, the next 2 will be serious business. 

hovewhite

Quote from: Wearethewhites on May 18, 2017, 04:19:05 PM
Most likely has a clause that he got a whopping big pay rise if we were promoted as well.

I think everyone is reading to much in stuff at the moment, more worried about losing people, than focusing on a good season and the positives it should bring.

Bottom line is, how did Jok know we'd scrape the playoffs when signing his new contact? There was a possibility, however, I don't think that was the main motivator.

The 2 years says to me that this was a practice run, the next 2 will be serious business. 
Agree with you,this season foundations laid promotion a bonus .Next 2 seasons to serious business of promotion.

gang

Didn't Joka once say?
"This is not a train station where you can get on or off when you want, you sign a contract and you abide by it."

copthornemike

As mentioned by others we don't know - unless SJ and/or his agent decide to disclose.

I would suspect he received a bonus for getting us in the top 6 (I believe that has been the previously expressed 'expected target' from the Chairman) but probably missed out on a bonus for promotion.

SJ is in a pretty good position in any negotiations over the summer to demand support from the Board. They will be very aware of his popularity with the supporters and increased credibility with third parties, including other clubs wishing to change an existing manager before the start of the new season.

If he accepts an offer fom a 'bigger club,' or one which is nearer his family (I believe they are in Madrid), then there is little that can realistically be done other than negotiate compensation from the other club.

cookieg

It would be a bit daft having a clause that says he can leave if we don't get promoted as all he needs to do is not bother about the team then leave.

Wearethewhites

People also seem to forget, he doesn't have an 'agent', his management company is run by Jordi Cruyff.

davew

Quote from: Wearethewhites on May 18, 2017, 10:57:25 PM
People also seem to forget, he doesn't have an 'agent', his management company is run by Jordi Cruyff.
At first I thought you were joking, so Johann's son might have some impact?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Nero

what would be the point in signing a contract saying if there no promotion he can leave, surely you would just see if you got promoted if not just leave,

Snibbo

We all know that football manager contracts are not very reliable things. The club can sack and pay out the contract. The manager can walk and the new club pay compensation.

You often see comments like "the club should never have allowed that clause in the contract", but you've got to remember that a contract is an agreement between two parties (offer, acceptance, consideration), and whilst one party might have more power than the other, the club can't just impose its own contract on an employee or vice versa.

Joka extended his contract when many of us thought he wouldn't. He says he's happy and wants to be here for a long time. I'll believe that until I see concrete evidence to the contrary, and so far I haven't.

westcliff white

Quote from: davew on May 18, 2017, 11:12:42 PM
Quote from: Wearethewhites on May 18, 2017, 10:57:25 PM
At first I thought you were joking, so Johann's son might have some impact?
you may be right but I thought Joka and Jordi's only connection was Maccabi where Jordi is the Sporting Director and was while Joka was there. Would seem a huge conflict of interests to represent someone you employ and negotiate his move and salary (if he is part of Joka's management setup) in moving to another club.
Every day is a Fulham day

terryr

Guys
He has made no noises about leaving
I am ignoring all the speculation that inevitably follows the end of season.
Will we lose some players over the summer?
Undoubtedly.
Will Joka go?
Not a shred of evidence he will leave.
Can we tear ourselves apart reacting to every speculative story in the papers starved for football news post season?
Some will but I won't.

rweller86

I doubt he would have a clause to leave if he didn't gain promotion, it would have a negative affect on determination for sure.
@rweller

toshes mate

Thanks for saying that TerryR.  I could not agree more.

Burt

There was an article in the Evening Standard (I think it was last night) that said he did have a release clause in the event that we did not get promoted.

Quite how accurate that is, and how they would know, is obviously up for debate.

I suspect it is probably true. Most ambitious managers worth their salt would probably want some form of flexibility built in.

But as he is going to stay, it won't be an issue :)

cmg

Quote from: Snibbo on May 19, 2017, 07:15:53 AM
We all know that football manager contracts are not very reliable things. The club can sack and pay out the contract. The manager can walk and the new club pay compensation...

Aint that the truth.

People often say that players' contracts 'are not worth the paper they are written on'. This is not entirely true (cf C. Martin), but it is true of managers' contracts.

In football, managers are more disposable than the paper in the main stand bogs. They are sacked on a whim and I can recall no instance of a manager who wishes to leave being held to a contract.

Jokanovic's new contract gave him, presumably, a nice, fully deserved, pay rise and demonstrated that he was, at that time, happy with his situation. Long may that continue.

rweller86

Quote from: Burt on May 19, 2017, 03:04:55 PM
There was an article in the Evening Standard (I think it was last night) that said he did have a release clause in the event that we did not get promoted.

Quite how accurate that is, and how they would know, is obviously up for debate.

I suspect it is probably true. Most ambitious managers worth their salt would probably want some form of flexibility built in.

But as he is going to stay, it won't be an issue :)
They probably saw this thread and put it in their late edition!
@rweller